Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

reddvilzz

Jul 29, 2019
EDIT: Oh, forgot to say one important thing. You NEED transformer upgrades in them! Otherwise they'll just blow up.

Thanks.

That is a good explanation. Thanks man. But the one i didn't understand is, how many overclocker upgrade i can put before i need to put a transformer upgrade?

And with 7 overclocker / 8 overclocker on the recycler you said eu consumption will be 512 eu/t right? So i can just direclty connect it to an mfsu or do i need to put 2 transformer upgrades first?

And you didn't answer my assembling machine overclocker. Can i put some overclocker to there? Because it is very slow to assemble something together

cynric

Jul 29, 2019
2. What are your favorite non-automatic crafting table? Now that the project table from RP2 is gone and the Automatic Crafting Table from buildcraft no longer works like it did before, is there any you prefer to the normal crafting table? I tend to use the pocket crafting table from factorization, but it's annoying in that it requires a lot of inventory space.

Dartcraft clipboard ... doesn't use your inventory space for crafting, but doesn't spill everything inside on the floor when you look at something else for a moment either. Plus it has a few additional convenient features.

schyman

Jul 29, 2019
Dartcraft clipboard ... doesn't use your inventory space for crafting, but doesn't spill everything inside on the floor when you look at something else for a moment either. Plus it has a few additional convenient features.
Oh, it doesn't spill stuff? That's awesome. So it's like an improved pocket crafting table then, well that's wonderful.

schyman

Jul 29, 2019
That is a good explanation. Thanks man. But the one i didn't understand is, how many overclocker upgrade i can put before i need to put a transformer upgrade?

And with 7 overclocker / 8 overclocker on the recycler you said eu consumption will be 512 eu/t right? So i can just direclty connect it to an mfsu or do i need to put 2 transformer upgrades first?

And you didn't answer my assembling machine overclocker. Can i put some overclocker to there? Because it is very slow to assemble something together
You need one transformer upgrade for every transformation you want to make - so if you want to feed it more than 32 eu/t you need one, and if you want to feed it more than 128 you need two (with three i believe the max is 2048, but HV should be enough for most builds). If you connect it to an EU source stronger than it can take, it will blow up. Overclocker upgrades change nothing about this, only transformers do.

The breakpoints are easily calculable. For a recycler (the math is similar on other machines but with different entry points so differing results):
If you have 4 overclocker upgrades, it takes 21 eu/t to run at full speed and thus LV voltage (32 eu) is enough.
If you have 5-6 overclockers, it takes 48 and 110 eu/t respectively to run at full speed and thus MV voltage (128 eu) is needed. If you connect an mfe to it you need to have an overclocker upgrade or it will blow up.
If you have 7 overclockers, it takes 253 eu/t to run at full speed and thus require HV voltage (512 eu). If you connect it to an MFSU or other HV source you need two overclockers or it will blow up.

If you have 5 overclockers and no transformers and connect to a batbox it'll recieve 32 eu/t. It will not blow up but will not work at full speed either, I think speed will be roughly equivalent if you keep the 5 in or take one out, but with the 5 in it will drain 32eu/t instead of 21. The same is true for having 7 overclockers with MV voltage and a single transformer, it will not blow up but will not perform optimally either.

If you're unsure of how things work it could be better to start of with the lower voltages and test your way through; there is both less risk of stuff blowing up and each produced scrap will cost far less EU. Only benefit of many overclockers in one recycler rather than a few overclockers in a few recyclers is potentially easier routing and saved space (but getting and making room for HV might take more place than LV depending on setup).

Edit: If you want to do the maths for other machines it's really simple too. Just take the duration of an operation in seconds, multiply by 20. Also look at the EU/operation on the wikis. Then use these formula (original time per operation = T, OC = number of overclockers, original energy per operation = EU)
Time per operation in ticks: T*(0.7^OC)
Operations per second: 20/(T*0.7^OC)
EU per operation: EU*(1.6^OC)
EU consumption per tick: (EU*1.6^OC) / (T*0.7^OC).

If EU consumption per tick > 32, then one transformer and proper energy is needed. If it's >128, two transformers are needed. If >512, three are needed. If the machine can normally take higher voltage this need is reduced.

So the macerator for example take about 20 seconds (thus 400 ticks) and consume about 800 EU according to the wiki. Thus, with four overclockers, the eu/t math looks like this:
(EU*1.6^OC)/T*(0.7^OC)
(800*1.6^4)/(400*0.7^4)=54 eu/t
and it produces about .2 operations per seconds (so once every 5 seconds).

Since it requires more than 32 eu, you need one overclocker upgrade and access to medium voltage (from an mfe for example)

Reactions: reddvilzz

Chocorate

Jul 29, 2019
I forgot to turn on cheats to fix losing inventory when I started my world, where do I go to enable them?

tehBlobLord

Jul 29, 2019
I forgot to turn on cheats to fix losing inventory when I started my world, where do I go to enable them?
Normally, you shouldn't be able to (the cheats setting is saved for ever), but there's a workaround; Open to LAN and set your new server to allow cheats. That way they'll be set as on until you relog.

Reactions: Chocorate

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019

So you know schyman is quoting gregtech overclockers, which for every one of them doubles the speed and quadruples the power need, so, two increases the speed by 4x and power need by 16x and so on. Whist overclockers which you place in the inventory of the machine and can withdraw work slightly differently, with how IC2 EU works, you don't necessarily need transformer upgrades. for a machine that needs 128eu/t for example, it's simplest to send it one packet of 128eu/t via an MFE, however it's also viable and in cases useful to send it four packets of 32eu/t, which cumulatively provide 128eu/t.

For the IC2 overclockers:
Personally I'd recommend getting your power source, down transforming it, and then send the lower voltage through the cable at a higher volume. Transformers work basically by getting their input (MV, HV, or EV) and splitting it into four packets per tick. This way you can fit more overclockers into the machine at once.

For the gregtech overclockers:
Schyman is right, transformer upgrade alongside each overclocker upgrade is recommended, as you can pack in as many upgrades parallel with each other, unlike the ic2 system where you only have four slots for possible upgrades.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019

Normally, you shouldn't be able to (the cheats setting is saved for ever), but there's a workaround; Open to LAN and set your new server to allow cheats. That way they'll be set as on until you relog.

Or you can look into stuff like NBTedit to alter your Plyer.dat to allow cheats. But this is not something I would suggest unless you know what your doing.

EDIT:

There is an old trick that might still work.

But back stuff up before doing this.... BACK STUFF UP.

• So copy out your saved world folder somewhere then delete the world folder.
  • Now make a new world and name it the same thing and use the same seed. These have to be the same case and everthing. EDIT of EDIT : Just you be clear on this part while remakign the world you want all your settings to be the same as the old one. Just change what you need like turning cheats on.
  • Load up this world and save and quit.
  • Now all you want form here is your level.dat file copy it out somewhere then delete the save folder again.
  • Copy your orignal save folder back over.
  • Now copy the new level.dat file over and overwrite you other one.

Level.dat holds the maps settings like the seed info and stuff like game mode. So now you when boot your world back up cheats should now be on. This is also how you can turn a creative world into a survial world and back.

also.... BACK STUFF UP

Reactions: Chocorate

tehBlobLord

Jul 29, 2019
Or you can look into stuff like NBTedit to alter your Plyer.dat to allow cheats. But this is not something I would suggest unless you know what your doing.

EDIT:

There is an old trick that might still work.

But back stuff up before doing this.... BACK STUFF UP.

So copy out your saved world folder somewhere then delete the world folder.
Now make a new world and name it the same thing and use the same seed. These have to be the same case and everthing.
Load up this world and save and quit.
Now all you want form here is your level.dat file copy it out somewhere then delete the save folder again.
Copy your orignal save folder back over.
Now copy the new level.dat file over and overwrite you other one.

Level.dat holds the maps settings like the seed info and stuff like game mode. So now you when boot your world back up cheats should now be on. This is also how you can turn a creative world into a survial world and back.

also.... BACK STUFF UP
I would definitely go with the NBT editor over the file-changey stuff.

Also, you can use /gamemode c to go into creative mode and /gamemode s to go into survival mode without doing that ^
That requires cheats to be on, but we covered how to do that in Episode One of tehBlobLord's Guide to Cheating Life.

If you want cheats to ALWAYS be on (rather than just every so often) then Saice's way is probably better, but personally I find that it's not too much of a hassle to open to LAN just for cheats to be on.
The only downside is that pausing with ESC doesn't pause the game, because you're on a server now.

schyman

Jul 29, 2019
So you know schyman is quoting gregtech overclockers, which for every one of them doubles the speed and quadruples the power need, so, two increases the speed by 4x and power need by 16x and so on. Whist overclockers which you place in the inventory of the machine and can withdraw work slightly differently, with how IC2 EU works, you don't necessarily need transformer upgrades. for a machine that needs 128eu/t for example, it's simplest to send it one packet of 128eu/t via an MFE, however it's also viable and in cases useful to send it four packets of 32eu/t, which cumulatively provide 128eu/t.
I was talking about IC2 overclockers - the math would be very different for GT ones! However, I was under the impression that even if you sent several packets at the same time, the maximum input it would get would be 32eu/t without transformer upgrades?
Or are you saying if I put up 4 batboxes parallelly I'll get medium voltage for all intents and purposes, except they can be used in LV machines without transformers and can safely use copper wire?
EDIT: Also, doesn't transformers work by outputting only a single packet per side per tick? I guess you could put a cable to each output, though that takes some space, but a single MFE to LV converter will output 32 eu/t, not 4x32eu/t, right?
If not, what's the benefit of higher voltage at all, barring some of the stranger gregtech machines?

Schyman is right, transformer upgrade alongside each overclocker upgrade is recommended, as you can pack in as many upgrades parallel with each other, unlike the ic2 system where you only have four slots for possible upgrades.
Well, each slot can hold quite a few (is it 4 nowadays?) upgrades, so the limit isn't 4 overclockers at least.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
I was talking about IC2 overclockers - the math would be very different for GT ones! However, I was under the impression that even if you sent several packets at the same time, the maximum input it would get would be 32eu/t without transformer upgrades?
Or are you saying if I put up 4 batboxes parallelly I'll get medium voltage for all intents and purposes, except they can be used in LV machines without transformers and can safely use copper wire?
EDIT: Also, doesn't transformers work by outputting only a single packet per side per tick? I guess you could put a cable to each output, though that takes some space, but a single MFE to LV converter will output 32 eu/t, not 4x32eu/t, right?
If not, what's the benefit of higher voltage at all, barring some of the stranger gregtech machines?

Well, each slot can hold quite a few (is it 4 nowadays?) upgrades, so the limit isn't 4 overclockers at least.

Ok, I just had a brief look at the math of your overclocker usage, it looked like greg-tech machines.

And yes to the four batboxes in parallel, the machines don't care what voltage they receive the eu in, as long as it doesn't exceed what they can use. But it gets to a point in which for example, trying to send EV through a cable system as LV becomes so complex in the transformer/batbox set-up it's not worth it, but for MV and HV it's perfectly doable, and saves you having to use transformer upgrades.

All transformer upgrades do is allow it to accept bigger packets, if it's wanting to use 128 eu/t it doesn't care what packet size and what number, as long as it gets what it's after.

EDIT: to clarify with the four slots comment, that was saying if you put in transformer upgrades, you'll sacrifice one of those slots which you could have filled up with overclockers. So you can have a maximum of 12 overclocker upgrades + transformer upgrades, OR 16 overclocker upgrades if you wire it all right.

schyman

Jul 29, 2019
Ah. That makes things a lot more simple. Batboxes are starting to look very much more useful now.

Also, I'm trying to add gregtech but want gregtech "easy mode" since it's single player and that's grindy enough as is. However, I can't find what in the config settings to change. I've changed everything under " harderrecipes", but for example plates can still only be made through hammer or plate bending machine (which costs plates) and a cauldron still requires plates and a hammer.
Where are all the different configs? I can't find them :(

reddvilzz

Jul 29, 2019
Ah so i understand now. Thankfully to you guys explained it to me :)

Now can i put efficiency upgrades from charge pad mods into the IC2 machines?

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
What is that extra slot on the left in the Repair tab when you open a Tool Forge in TiC that isn't there when you're using the beginner Tool Station?

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Tree Breeding: do trees which are neither vanilla nor Forestry present themselves as valid pollination targets?

I.e. when a bee picks a random leaf block to take pollen from, could it choose for example a cherry tree from Biomes O'Plenty, which would cause the attempt to fail?
Or, when a bee picks a random leaf block to pollinate with a previously acquired pollen, could it choose such an incompatible cherry tree leaf and, again, fail?

The only useful bee keeping biome anywhere near my house is a Biomes O'Plenty cherry blossom grove, and the question is whether or not to invest hours into clearing all those huge and useless cherry trees ;)

Hmmm... no takers at all? Where's all our bee experts! :p

schyman

Jul 29, 2019
I've read somewhere about a "nice gregtech" mod that's basically the gregtech mod without the nerf. I've tried finding it but only config settings, is that all there is/what is the difference? Also, if the "nice gregtech" mod (or whatever it's called) is different in terms of code, is it decently safe to use without having it crash stuff?
/////////
Also, I'm trying to add gregtech but want gregtech "easy mode" since it's single player and that's grindy enough as is. However, I can't find what in the config settings to change. I've changed everything under " harderrecipes", but for example plates can still only be made through hammer or plate bending machine (which costs plates) and a cauldron still requires plates and a hammer.
Where are all the different configs? I can't find them :(

Still hoping for help with this!

schyman

Jul 29, 2019
>config>GregTech>Recipes.cfg Make sure cheaperrecipes are all set to true. Under usefullrecipes set all of the B:ExpensiveITEM recipes to false. And tweak to your liking.
recipes.cfg only has "cells per tin" config. In DynamicConfig there are a bunch of them under harderrepices, but not nearly all.

Tellerofstones

Jul 29, 2019
Lets start by saying that i cant code....and i want to make a turtle attack machine that will kill wither Skellys so i need some code to help with this! please leave some coding
or direct me to a coding page. PLEASE!