Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Airship

Jul 29, 2019
Could someone tell me which of the various txt or video guides for Bees (main,extra,thaum) is the best one to consult? I was hoping to get a better understanding of how active/inactive and dominant/recessive genes interact during cross breeding so I can make better decisions about which of my bees have the best chance of giving me what I want.

Also, if anyone knows, which is the best frame to use if you want a boost in comb production WITHOUT lowering the bees lifespan or causing mutations. I know the chocolate one boosts production, but I found that it killed the bees so fast that I ended up getting less combs, not more.

Thanks!
Can't answer the first one as I'm not sure (And for 1.5 they all seem to be outdated), but you can safely use Untreated, impregnated and proven frames without any adverse effects. They all boost production by 100%; durability is the only difference, with proven frames being the best and untreated being the worst.

EDIT: Check out BdoubleO's Beecademy videos, they are some very good videos if you're completely new to bees and don't know where to start.[DOUBLEPOST=1373650866][/DOUBLEPOST]
Oh. Question. How do you get thorns or poison ivy in BoP? Is it just shears? or do I need a silktouch? Never tried to pick them up before, they always just broke.
Shears should do just fine.

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
Could someone tell me which of the various txt or video guides for Bees (main,extra,thaum) is the best one to consult? I was hoping to get a better understanding of how active/inactive and dominant/recessive genes interact during cross breeding so I can make better decisions about which of my bees have the best chance of giving me what I want.

Also, if anyone knows, which is the best frame to use if you want a boost in comb production WITHOUT lowering the bees lifespan or causing mutations. I know the chocolate one boosts production, but I found that it killed the bees so fast that I ended up getting less combs, not more.

Thanks!

I found that GenerikB's videos to be the best guide for bee breeding. http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7j0JO-w0xWmxdRITueD-Flgx19-8UZIS

As for the best frame that you can make would be impregnated frames. All of the frames really give the same boost to production. It is just a matter of which ones last the longest. The only frames that would be better would be proven but those must be purchased from villagers.

Darkmatter

Jul 29, 2019
Oh sorry I forgot to add that I'm on a server that is using FTB-Direwolf20 pack v5.3.2 with MC v1.4.7.

Because of that I have the all the various mods that come with that pack, such as thaumic bees, extra bees etc, so I have all the frames that go along with those too. Thats been out for quite a while now so I would guess there are good guides for that version. Also, I'm not JUST starting out on bees now, I've been working on them for a few days and I understand the basics. I am just now at the stage where I am trying to get a pair of Imperial Bees, and I have a pretty decent amount of silk wisps and propolis now.

Regarding both of your posts,
So, Proven frames give the same production boost as impregnated frames? What about compared to Magic Frames, Resilient Frames, or Temporal Frames?

I also forgot to ask if theres any tip that might help me find bee hives in the Nether. Although I'm not really sure what those bees are good for, so maybe there not worth the effort? All I know is that I looked for over 30min and didn't see nothing. :(

Thanks both of you for your replies. Sorry that I forgot to add what ver I am using. (Rather important information.... DOH!)

Can't answer the first one as I'm not sure (And for 1.5 they all seem to be outdated), but you can safely use Untreated, impregnated and proven frames without any adverse effects. They all boost production by 100%; durability is the only difference, with proven frames being the best and untreated being the worst.

EDIT: Check out BdoubleO's Beecademy videos, they are some very good videos if you're completely new to bees and don't know where to start.

Henry Link said:
I found that GenerikB's videos to be the best guide for bee breeding. http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7j0JO-w0xWmxdRITueD-Flgx19-8UZIS

As for the best frame that you can make would be impregnated frames. All of the frames really give the same boost to production. It is just a matter of which ones last the longest. The only frames that would be better would be proven but those must be purchased from villagers.

Airship

Jul 29, 2019
Oh sorry I forgot to add that I'm on a server that is using FTB-Direwolf20 pack v5.3.2 with MC v1.4.7.

Because of that I have the all the various mods that come with that pack, such as thaumic bees, extra bees etc, so I have all the frames that go along with those too. Thats been out for quite a while now so I would guess there are good guides for that version. Also, I'm not JUST starting out on bees now, I've been working on them for a few days and I understand the basics. I am just now at the stage where I am trying to get a pair of Imperial Bees, and I have a pretty decent amount of silk wisps and propolis now.

Regarding both of your posts,
So, Proven frames give the same production boost as impregnated frames? What about compared to Magic Frames, Resilient Frames, or Temporal Frames?

I also forgot to ask if theres any tip that might help me find bee hives in the Nether. Although I'm not really sure what those bees are good for, so maybe there not worth the effort? All I know is that I looked for over 30min and didn't see nothing. :(

Thanks both of you for your replies. Sorry that I forgot to add what ver I am using. (Rather important information.... DOH!)

Since you're playing the Direwolf pack, all information on the wiki in regards to bees should be up do date. Here are the wiki page regarding magic frames. I have no experience in using them, so that's all I can give :p

Also, The Beecademy videos do go slightly more in depth after the third episode or so. Unfortunately it still doesn't cover the recessive and dominant gene thingies, and I'd love for some intel on exactly how those work myself. As far as I have understood, dominant traits (red) can never be replaced as the 'active' trait by a recessive trait (blue), and that's all there is to it. This means that if you have a Bee with a red 'slow' productivity trait, this can never be replaced by a blue 'fast' productivity trait in crossbreeding.

In regards to nether bees, these are quite useful as they can produce lava via phosphorus, and the latter 'vanilla' nether bee can produce glowstone as well. Extra nether bees are more of the same, and some can produce blaze powder iirc. They are both needed in some mutations as well, which you can find on this page.

Hope this helps!

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
Playing Ultimate... is there any way to automatically keep a certain amount of items in a chest? So i have an ender pouch, and i want to keep 20 tin cans of food it in at all times. If I grab one or I have a quantum suit that auto feeds me and i move from the pouch to my inventory, id like something at my base to put 20 of them back in. Is there a way to set up something that would keep a set amount of certain items in one chest like this? (20 tin cans of food, a stack of stone, stack of planks, backup tools, etc.)

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
A regulator will do it. The interface is daunting, but look it up on the wiki and experiment around a bit and it should be no problem.

Managers are more powerful, but also more costly to set up.

Reactions: zorn

Darkmatter

Jul 29, 2019
Got a follow up question regarding hybrid bees.
If I have a princess and drone that are both identical hybrids which frame should I use to get what I want? (I'm going to give a couple examples that I'm just making up in my head.)

Princess and Drone both:
Imperial-Noble ----- and I am trying to get a pure Imperial. I am thinking that I would use a frame that does NOT cause mutation, but I don't know for sure so thats why I'm asking.

Next example,

Princess and Drone both:
Imperial-Noble ----- and I am trying to get a pure Noble. I am thinking that I would use a frame that DOES cause mutation.

If possible I would like to know if theres anything I can do in this situation. This is just an example. I don't have anything as crazy as this, but I will often end up with a situation where I am trying to get a pure Princess or Drone (or both) and instead I'll end up with opposite hybrids like this... Is there anything I can do in a situation like that?

Princess: Imperial/Industrious
Drone: Industrious/Imperial

Thanks a lot!

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
Got a follow up question regarding hybrid bees.
If I have a princess and drone that are both identical hybrids which frame should I use to get what I want? (I'm going to give a couple examples that I'm just making up in my head.)

Princess and Drone both:
Imperial-Noble ----- and I am trying to get a pure Imperial. I am thinking that I would use a frame that does NOT cause mutation, but I don't know for sure so thats why I'm asking.

Next example,

Princess and Drone both:
Imperial-Noble ----- and I am trying to get a pure Noble. I am thinking that I would use a frame that DOES cause mutation.

If possible I would like to know if theres anything I can do in this situation. This is just an example. I don't have anything as crazy as this, but I will often end up with a situation where I am trying to get a pure Princess or Drone (or both) and instead I'll end up with opposite hybrids like this... Is there anything I can do in a situation like that?

Princess: Imperial/Industrious
Drone: Industrious/Imperial

Thanks a lot!

To force a mutation you want to use soul frames. I found the best way to do this was to get and always use pure bees for the mutations. And this process does get a lot easier once you get to the imperial bees.

To try and clean up a set of bees to get more a pure bee with out as many non matched traits. I would use chocolate frames so the bees die quicker with out mutation. Then analyze the bees and keep trying to breed out miss matched traits. Once I had a "Pure Pair" I would let them breed a few cycles with chocolate bees to produce some drones. Then I would use the pure drones to do further breeding with. The tough part is getting pure of each of the species until you get to imperial.

After imperial you can use the 3rd tier genetic machines to duplicate bees. I would still set aside my "pure pair" but I would use the drone offspring to get the serum so I could replicate the line. The serum could also be used to create another pure bee for breeding purposes.

BTW: with your Imperial-Nobel pair you will most likely be able to get a pure Imperial out of them if you are careful in your breeding. I wouldn't use soul frames on them. Use the chocolate frames. Breed them and analyze them. Try to match up ones that have the closet primary traits. I've found that secondary traits will breed out after a few generations. You will know you get the pure once the drones start stacking again. Also it would be hard to backwards with them (but it may happen) and get Noble. Either way I would not use soul frames because that would cause them to mutate to some other bee. I wound up with an iron bee because I used soul frames when I should have been trying to clean them up with chocolate.

As for extremely mixed hybrids like the Imperial/Industrious or Noble/Medows bees. I would save the princess until I can get genetic machines and use them as a recipient for the serums. As for the drones I would chuck them into the bin to get their DNA.

Jakeb

Jul 29, 2019
How many hp, max size boilers can a single refinery keep up with if running at full speed?

gusmahler

Jul 29, 2019
How do you rename a linking book? The wiki says to right click with a feather, but that doesn't do anything.

thepacektt

Jul 29, 2019
Hello, I'm using mystcraft and it doesn't seem to be working as it should.
I'm trying these pages in this order:
ocean, redwood forest, meadow, autumn woods biome, large biomes
oil, standard terrain
coal ore, tendrils
noon, zero length, normal sun
no weather
standard lighting
standard moon
standard stars
clear modifiers

This created a world with everything correct, except that the oceans should be oil. What am I doing wrong?

reddvilzz

Jul 29, 2019
Can i keep a monster spawner spawning monsters with a chunk loaders?

Sent from my Sensation using Tapatalk 4 Beta

reddvilzz

Jul 29, 2019
Yes and no. Iirc the mobs will still despawn (don't think it's intentional anymore) if you're far away.

What if i use mfr grinder. Will it be effective? / will i still get the loots? And also will they still spawning from mfr auto spawner with chunk loader near it?

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
How many hp, max size boilers can a single refinery keep up with if running at full speed?
A 36HP boiler at full heat uses one bucket of fuel every 6060.6 ticks. A refinery converts one mB per tick (not 100% sure). By combining this we get, that a refinery can keep 6 36HP boilers fed.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019

Sent from my Sensation using Tapatalk 4 Beta
If you're more than 32 blocks a way, they have a chance to despawn as a result of that. (Check the 32 blocks, but it's something to that effect)

Reactions: reddvilzz

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast

If it is a tier 5 spawner from a shard then yes. I know from a bad experience I had that I had involving a quarry turtle. I set the turtle up to take out a chunk right next to my enderman tier 5 spawner. My wireless transmitter that kept the machine off was in the chunk I told the turtle to take out. Man the lag was horrible (about .1 FPS). Well over 1000 entities. Dispite the lag, I was able to setup a new wireless transmitter to shut it off. Then I spent the next 1/2 hour killing off the enderman. I hadn't finished the farm yet. Just set them up for enough fall damage to do one punch kills.

Reactions: reddvilzz