Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
I am pretty sure that a MAC uses the forge directory. I haven't tried wood but i do know it works well enough with metals. I am fairly sure it shoud work with wood but i cant garranty it.

However if it does work properly, the wood to planks recipe will still be tied to a certain type of wood i believe. I am pretty sure it works something like this.

You program to make a chest with oak planks, but there is only non oak available in your system, it will just happyly craft it with the other types of planks.
If there are no planks available it will try to craft them by using the wood to planks if it has a pattern saying that. Now here is the fuzzy part, im pretty sure that it will try to craft oak planks, and will only try to craft oak planks even if you have other types of wood available. Even if you have a pattern for say jungle wood to jungle planks, it will not use it because it is requesting oak planks.

In short. I am pretty sure a MAC will craft any item happyly with any forge directory item, but it wont craft the diffrend directory items, only those that are specified.
Ahh, makes sense

However, I had a recipe for jungle wood to jungle planks, then jungle planks to chest, but only had redwood in my AE system at the time, so judging from what you said... it should have crafted it...?
i think? oo

What actually happened was it didn't even use one log.

I know it's possible for it to do fuzzy crafting along these lines, because direwolf20 used the crafting monitor to specifically show off that feature during a spotlight of it. However the MAC doesn't seem to do this from what I've seen, which doesn't really make sense

KyoNeko66

Jul 29, 2019
Ahh, makes sense

However, I had a recipe for jungle wood to jungle planks, then jungle planks to chest, but only had redwood in my AE system at the time, so judging from what you said... it should have crafted it...?
i think? oo

What actually happened was it didn't even use one log.

I know it's possible for it to do fuzzy crafting along these lines, because direwolf20 used the crafting monitor to specifically show off that feature during a spotlight of it. However the MAC doesn't seem to do this from what I've seen, which doesn't really make sense

Ah no no, i must have been typing to fast without thinking if what i typed acualy makes sense. The jungle wood to jungle planks, and then jungle planks to a chest should work. But not if all you got are redwood logs. If you request a chest the MAC will notice there aren't any planks available in your system and will then automaticly request 8 planks, which type depends on your recipi. If you made it with jungle planks then it will request 8 jungle planks. If you taught your system it can make 4 jungle planks with 1 jungle wood. It will try to do that.. But since it doesn't have jungle wood but only redwood it wont do anything.

Why? simple, from my own basic understanding (and probly wrong in at least one point) of the forge directory, it allows crafting with several diffrend input items, but all give the same output items. Jungle, oak, birch and all the other type of planks give you a standard non typed chest. Diffrend input, same output. Now diffrend types of wood give you diffrend types of planks. Diffrend input diffrend output.

A other point of note. Even if you made three diffrend recipies
1. redwood to redwood planks
2. jungle wood to jungle planks
3. jungle planks to chest

And you would run out of jungle wood and all types of planks, it will get stuck when you request a chest. The simple reason is because it wil request jungle planks for the chest, while redwood planks can also make a chest, it is a diffrend item and it wont request that.. AE is smart, but not that smart.

I did acually watch DW20's spotlight on AE a while ago, but i cant recal every detail and thus also not the part you mention. So i cant say anything spesific about it to help out there.

Reactions: Adonis0

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Could you fool it by making a pattern that says that 1 Redwood = 4 Jungle Planks, so then it tries to craft Jungle Planks, gets Redwood Planks, and then uses those to make the chest anyway?

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
The problem is that when you have two patterns with the same result (jungle planks), then the autocrafting system will pick one and ignore the other. I.e. it will attempt to use the recipe for jungle wood -> jungle planks even if you also have the other recipe. Or maybe it'll be the other way around. it simply uses the first matching recipe it can find, regardless of whether or not there are currently ingredients available.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
The problem is that when you have two patterns with the same result (jungle planks), then the autocrafting system will pick one and ignore the other. I.e. it will attempt to use the recipe for jungle wood -> jungle planks even if you also have the other recipe. Or maybe it'll be the other way around. it simply uses the first matching recipe it can find, regardless of whether or not there are currently ingredients available.
So? Does it really matter whether the planks for your chests came from Jungle Logs or Redwood Logs? *Edit* Oh I see what you mean. So if you run out of Jungle Logs, then it won't use the Redwood Logs to Jungle Planks recipe?

I guess the workaround is to just pick one wood type, and have that kind of tree in your tree farm, and not worry about other wood types.

WAFFLE OF WAR

Jul 29, 2019
What happens if a router connected to a sorting machine, tried to sort stuff into a barrel that is completely full? I know there is a barrel upgrade for this, but what other materials should I consider storing in a barrel with this upgrade to negate any issues I may have in the future?

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
What happens if a router connected to a sorting machine, tried to sort stuff into a barrel that is completely full? I know there is a barrel upgrade for this, but what other materials should I consider storing in a barrel with this upgrade to negate any issues I may have in the future?
It will move on to the next barrel that can take the item. I store various kinds of stone, gravel, flint, apatite, redstone, nikolite, and Xycraft quartz (but not Xychorium) in barrels. I should probbaly make Xychorium barrels as well, I have about 9 stacks of each plus about 8 stacks of each in block form.

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
How about this convoluted solution...
Two autocrafting tables with ME Interfaces and level emitters. If Oak planks = 0, then level emitter turns off dark cable to table #1. If Oak planks > 0 then level emitter turns off dark cable to table #2. Table one is set up to make chests from Oak planks. Table two is set up to make chests from Jungle wood planks.
Put patterns in the ME Interfaces for each table rather than in the MAC.

??

/edited for less ambiguity

WAFFLE OF WAR

Jul 29, 2019
It will move on to the next barrel that can take the item. I store various kinds of stone, gravel, flint, apatite, redstone, nikolite, and Xycraft quartz (but not Xychorium) in barrels. I should probbaly make Xychorium barrels as well, I have about 9 stacks of each plus about 8 stacks of each in block form.
And then what if there are no more barrels to sort through? I'm have the issue before where items will go back into the sorting machine and jam the whole system until they can be sorted. If this happens while I'm out caving, I'm going to have a bad time. Also, might you know the answer to another problem? What if you are using sorting machines, and you only have one of the item? Should I just make a second of that item?

Trunks9809

Jul 29, 2019
You could also just set a pattern in the MAC for oak logs -> jungle planks, and make sure that for all your recipes that use planks you encode them using jungle ones?

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
And then what if there are no more barrels to sort through? I'm have the issue before where items will go back into the sorting machine and jam the whole system until they can be sorted.
Then the stack that is in the Router stays there, and anything that tries to go to the Router gets sent back to the Sorting Machine and is backstuffed. I don't use Routers for storage sorting, but I do use them to keep machines stocked with input materials.
What if you are using sorting machines, and you only have one of the item? Should I just make a second of that item?
If you need to program two Sorting machines with the same item, then yes, you need another of the item. Or if you want to program it to only pull full stacks, then you need to "waste" 64 of them in the Sorting Machine's interface.

WAFFLE OF WAR

Jul 29, 2019
The restriction pipes don't seem to work on my set up, or maybe I'm just doing it wrong. Besides that, I still can't figure out how this is supposed to work with two sorting machines connected to one router. One SM sorts 40 items, and any items that aren't in there go on to the next. Here is the problem. If the item is good from the first SM, then it goes down the proper pipe but then goes to the second SM and gets jammed every time. I can't get it to go down the pipe to the router. Is there any way around this?

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
One SM sorts 40 items, and any items that aren't in there go on to the next. Here is the problem. If the item is good from the first SM, then it goes down the proper pipe but then goes to the second SM and gets jammed every time. I can't get it to go down the pipe to the router. Is there any way around this?
If the default output colour and the pipe that goes into the second Sorting Machine are the same colour, then nothing that is sorted by the first machine into a different colour can go to the second Sorting Machine.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
[Snip]
Why? simple, from my own basic understanding (and probly wrong in at least one point) of the forge directory, it allows crafting with several diffrend input items, but all give the same output items. Jungle, oak, birch and all the other type of planks give you a standard non typed chest. Diffrend input, same output. Now diffrend types of wood give you diffrend types of planks. Diffrend input diffrend output.
[Snip]

Makes perfect sense ^^
Shall keep this in mind now, thanks a lot

Chre903

Jul 29, 2019
Is it possible to make one of the pre-release versions of extra-bees work with the 1.52wgt version of FTB?
Yes, use the latest Forestry (2.2.6 i think). Forestry changed its API and Extra Bees an Thaumic Bees needs to be updated. and cause it is not backwards compatible either, you need the new Forestry when you want the new EB.

And very important: Dont forget to update Thaumic Bees (TB). But it just updated and it is not "compatible" with old World. You can make it Compatible, you have to change some Configs.
See here:
https://twitter.com/MysteriousAges
http://forestry.sengir.net/forum/viewtopic.php?id=17
http://forestry.sengir.net/forum/viewtopic.php?id=18

YourLocalMadSci

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, use the latest Forestry (2.2.6 i think). Forestry changed its API and Extra Bees an Thaumic Bees needs to be updated. and cause it is not backwards compatible either, you need the new Forestry when you want the new EB.

And very important: Dont forget to update Thaumic Bees (TB). But it just updated and it is not "compatible" with old World. You can make it Compatible, you have to change some Configs.
See here:
https://twitter.com/MysteriousAges
http://forestry.sengir.net/forum/viewtopic.php?id=17
http://forestry.sengir.net/forum/viewtopic.php?id=18

Works great. Cheers!