Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Riddle78

Nov 28, 2016
A couple of modpacks I've installed are unreasonably slow. They're literally slideshows,and they have no reason to be; 32 GB of DDR4 RAM and a Ryzen 7 1700X eight core should be more than enough to handle anything Minecraft throws at it. However,when loading up the most recent modpack to present me this issue,StoneBlock,I've noticed that it was only allocating two gigabytes of RAM. I believe this to be the issue. In the old FTB launcher,you're able to set a RAM allocation value. How do you do it in the Twitch Launcher?

EDIT: Alternatively,how can I get StoneBlock on the Legacy Launcher?

Last edited:

LordPINE

Jan 2, 2016
In the twitch launcher, if you open settings, there should be a minecraft tab. From there you can alter your ram allocation.
You can't get twitch packs on the legacy launcher, but you can get them on MultiMC. For this you download the modpack's zip file from curseforge and import it with multimc.

Reactions: Everlasting2
C

Citron

A couple of modpacks I've installed are unreasonably slow. They're literally slideshows,and they have no reason to be; 32 GB of DDR4 RAM and a Ryzen 7 1700X eight core should be more than enough to handle anything Minecraft throws at it. However,when loading up the most recent modpack to present me this issue,StoneBlock,I've noticed that it was only allocating two gigabytes of RAM. I believe this to be the issue. In the old FTB launcher,you're able to set a RAM allocation value. How do you do it in the Twitch Launcher?

Try disabling animated textures :
https://forum.feed-the-beast.com/th...ayable-frame-rate-1-2fps.288993/#post-1992960

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
As @LordPINE said, you can easily change your allocation but it's not as simple as a command line. Here's the procedure with Twitch:

1) Select "Mods" on the top line of the twitch app, next to the "Search" box.

2) Select "Minecraft" from the game thumbnails.

3) Click any part of the "Stoneblock" thumbnail EXCEPT the PLAY button (this works for any profile you want to change)

4) Select the "Config" button on the upper right side of the screen. It has the Elipsis character in it; […]

5) Select "Profile Options"

6) There are two check boxes on this window... Uncheck both of them. You have to Unlock the profile to change it, and you want to tell the profile to no use system settings.

7) Move the slider bar to the desired ram amount.

8) I suppose you could relock the profile but I never do... I like to disable any mods I don't like or add new ones on a whim.

I put in the whole procedure from just having started the Twitch app on the odd-ball chance someone else reads the thread looking for a solution and isn't familiar with the App. My system is sort of similar to yours, except I have a Ryzen 5 1600 and 16GB ram. I also have a GTX 1060 w/6GB ram.

I run Stoneblock with just under 7GB allocated at a constant 120 FPS, highest settings fullscreen.

L

LUX017

I NEED HELP. So i have a server between me and my friends. 1 day my cat jumped on my keyboard and now i have these texts on my left side of the screen. can someone help me how do i get rid of them?View attachment 36841
i am useing the mod space astronomy. i would like to get rd of the text on the left side of my screen. please help me!
44023077_2157015541239099_4309052997729517568_n.png

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
I run Stoneblock with just under 7GB allocated at a constant 120 FPS, highest settings fullscreen.

I just replied to another thread on this, I run Stoneblock at 6gigs and get a huge lag spike every minute or so...

Are you using java arguments?

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I just replied to another thread on this, I run Stoneblock at 6gigs and get a huge lag spike every minute or so...

Are you using java arguments?

Try bumping to 7GB... that's the sweet spot on my system.

Do I use Java arguments? Absolutely not! I see too many people replying to MC 1.12 questions with answers that were accurate in version 1.47, making not only the values incorrect but also the value names in the first place due to changes in Java 1.8 :D

Seriously, Java 1.8 removed and replaced the value names to change, and bumped the default values to a larger value than we used in 1.7.10. Unfortunately this generates memory error messages if you make the change.

Twitch also ignores command line changes anyway so I just use my procedure above :D

Everlasting2

Jun 28, 2015
in 1.12 mc jvm definitely does not always know best .after an atm3 update i could barely run the pack even on a fresh world(30secs between massive lag spikes). Adding java augments i found suggested on reddit changed it from quite unplayable to quite stable for several hrs on end while playing on a built up world.
Finding the right augments can make all the difference.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
There's also a 1.12.2 mod called VanillaFix - https://minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/vanillafix
It's fairly new, and I've seen drastic improvements in loading time and performance.

Some IE questions.
What is the RF/t usage of the Metal Press?
What is the RF/t usage of the Automatic Engineers Workbench?

The config doesn't give any values, just multipliers you can adjust.

E

erik_the_newbie

hey i recently downloaded the modpack ftb beyond as my first time playing modded, but i can t seem to load it anymore the model manager is stuck at 64/86, the model loader is loading but verrrryyy slowly and the launcher stops responding every 5 seconds. wtf ? (loading completing minecraft initialization 7/7 , and the last one at the bottom(model loader) moves slowly i m currently at 30156/60073
is there anything i can do ?

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
hey i recently downloaded the modpack ftb beyond as my first time playing modded, but i can t seem to load it anymore the model manager is stuck at 64/86, the model loader is loading but verrrryyy slowly and the launcher stops responding every 5 seconds. wtf ? (loading completing minecraft initialization 7/7 , and the last one at the bottom(model loader) moves slowly i m currently at 30156/60073
is there anything i can do ?

If it's your first time playing modded, it's probably a RAM setting. I sometimes forget to bump up my RAM allocation when starting a new pack and this is exactly what happens when the game doesn't have enough to get going.
Check your settings, adjust accordingly.

E

erik_the_newbie

ok i went into task manager and saw that it (the java launcher) took 95% of the cpu making it s utilisation 100%, how do i change that ?

DEL 707

Jul 29, 2019
How much power does a basic AE2 setup need?
All I've got is a disk drive with a terminal, I've got it power by 1 magmatic dynamo but it's not enough.
How much RF should I be looking to generate?

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
What was the block called that let RS interact with other machines for autocrafting? I can't remember what it's called and I'm scanning through it on JEI and nothing is registering. I'm worrying it's not in 1.12 or something, and that would be a huge disappointment.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
in 1.12 mc jvm definitely does not always know best .after an atm3 update i could barely run the pack even on a fresh world(30secs between massive lag spikes). Adding java augments i found suggested on reddit changed it from quite unplayable to quite stable for several hrs on end while playing on a built up world.
Finding the right augments can make all the difference.

Yeah... they bumped from the then default ram configuration of 2GB to 4GB in Java 1.8. All the FtB packs I've played since 1.11 have been happier with 6-8GB.

I don't blame Oracle and Java... Plenty of software works fine without changing the default configuration. I think the issues lie within Minecraft itself.

Mojang is working on cleaning all that up a bit at a time to keep us happy with new content at the same time, but I wonder why Mojang really started making internal MC SDKs available?

Heck, I'm running software that lets me run a Tiered storage management system that combines my 4TB Hard disk, 128GB SSD and optionally 2GB ram into one volume, resulting in a storage volume running much faster than the Hard drive alone. This software is written in Java.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
ok i went into task manager and saw that it (the java launcher) took 95% of the cpu making it s utilisation 100%, how do i change that ?

Drop your ram allocation to between 6 and 8GB... Right now your system is spending too much time trying to release any unused ram back to availability and 10GB is a bit too much for the program to swallow in the time allowed.

I set my allocation to what the Twitch Profile config says is 7GB but is really around 6.8GB or so. I blame lazy software that displays "1 Kb" as 1000 bytes instead of the binary correct 1024 bytes

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Also, anyone know any way to move bedrock in survival? Preferably in one of the usual mods like extra utils, aa, enderIO, etc.