Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
at least one incident they didn't want their masterpiece used with certain other mods.

The egos on some of these people...

If you're making a mod, it's not yours. "You didn't build that". You took someone else's work, namely Mojang/Microsoft, and you edited it to your liking, using tools and resources given to you for free from a community that you then have the chance to give back to. You can contribute to the community, or go design your own game from scratch.

I have absolutely nothing but contempt for anyone who builds a mod then pulls it from the community for something like this. This is a great way you can learn some basic design principles for free, and you're then free to take those principles and apply them to a real project of your design. It's a really great place to practice. And you pay for that place simply by sharing your creation with the rest of the community that made it possible.

Reactions: Closet Gamer

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Having created mods, not great ones, but mods, I have to say I disagree on that first part. There's a line between modifying content and wholesale creation. Changing stats on your diamond sword so it attacks faster or does more damage, is one thing. Creating an entire industrial complex mod that completely changes the way the game is played is something else.

On the second part, yeah, it's easy to feel contemptuous, but these guys are to some extent artists, and it's hard not to feel competitive when someone seems to be horning in on your artwork. Imagine for example how Rembrandt would have felt to see what happened to Nightwatch, by people who didn't understand it. On the other hand, in-fighting for no reason other than disagreeing with someone else's play style is really frustrating to deal with.

Reactions: Alexiy and Pyure

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
I wasn't around for the specifics of this incident, so the following is in general (and more in reference to some of other specific stories I've heard or witnessed) :

Creating an entire industrial complex mod, using Minecraft as the core, is still editing someone else's work that you have no rights to. It does not matter to what extent you do the edit. The only right they have is to get credit for the build. That's it. It's not just Minecraft's core code they're using. It's the free resources from the community. This applies to 100% of Minecraft mods and mods for other games. No exceptions.

A personal feud with someone else that's snaking your bits is a different story, but it's also not the community's fault. Let it be known that the other guy is stealing your style, and that's it. Be the bigger person. Don't punish the whole community over it. You lose your high ground. If people don't understand your mod and use it "wrong" then make it "better". Or, let people get whatever enjoyment they want out of it. If people don't like Banksy's art, or try to copy his style, Banksy doesn't destroy the building he painted it on.

I've made mods as well, just not for this game. I'm not just shouting from the peanut gallery. Some of the comments I've read from mod makers has been driving me nuts for years now (note: a small minority. The majority of this community is absolutely amazing). Particularly the ones that are trying to turn their mod into the next facebook. Some of them take themselves way too seriously and completely ignore all those who came before them to allow them to make the mod they made in the first place. It's just taking, not giving back. I remain contemptuous.

(edit: BTW, feel free to disagree, I won't stop anyone from having a different opinion, just don't bother trying to convince me otherwise. My mind was made up on this subject long before I played Minecraft for the first time)

Last edited:

OniyaMCD

Mar 30, 2015
For me, it was the manner of preventing the two mods from being used together that was annoying. Causing the game to 'fail spectacularly' if some unknowing pack creator installed both together is a different matter than, say, checking to see if the other mod is present and putting up a warning message saying 'Mod X is incompatible with Mod Y', and then not allowing the recipes you created to be loaded. Both strategies prevent people from using the two mods together, but one causes potential damage to files.

I'm pretty casual about the whole interpersonal conflict thing, but don't deliberately crash my machine, 'kay?

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
We don't disagree on some mod authors taking themselves too seriously. I've seen it in other places where many authors are fine, upstanding people and a few are... that kind of person.

I think we have a disconnect on the word Community here. I'm using Community in the sense of other modders. IE using say McJty's mods as base would be Community. As opposed to Creators in this case Mojang/Microsoft's materials. While I might be able to re-write a mod that no longer required McJty's as a base, like Thermal Expansion or Railcraft did with regards to Buildcraft, separating it from the Community. The same could not be say done by writing it to not need Minecraft as a thing it's modifying.

Back on subject: Is there a changelog for Forge? I usually update mods for my custom pack, then update forge to the latest version because updates usually require that, and when I did it after regaining Internet Access to my desktop, MC wouldn't load. So I rolled back to the last known version that worked, and it's fine, but I was wondering if there's a changelog out there anywhere?

D

Daihok

Back on subject: Is there a changelog for Forge? I usually update mods for my custom pack, then update forge to the latest version because updates usually require that, and when I did it after regaining Internet Access to my desktop, MC wouldn't load. So I rolled back to the last known version that worked, and it's fine, but I was wondering if there's a changelog out there anywhere?

What version of MC are ya playing? If its 1.12.2 and your getting crash from latest forge its prolly IE. Can only use IE with 2575 or below till IE updates.

Reactions: KingTriaxx

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast

Yes from forge's site.
https://files.minecraftforge.net/
Just click on the minecraft version on the right. For the latest release and recommended release the changelogs are right there. You can use the +Show All Version button to see previous version and their change logs

Reactions: KingTriaxx
D

Daihok

No problem at all King also with the new forges , if ya do use optifine make sure you update to the lastest C8 pre version or wont be able to open chests.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
My server has turned into an elementary school reunion, lol. So, we have one more old friend I haven't seen in 20 years that wants to join. Only problem is that he's a Mac guy. Is that likely to cause any problems? Or can he play with us?

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
My server has turned into an elementary school reunion, lol. So, we have one more old friend I haven't seen in 20 years that wants to join. Only problem is that he's a Mac guy. Is that likely to cause any problems? Or can he play with us?
If he can get the mods and launch, connecting to your server shouldn't be an issue. I think Twitch has Mac support (I know they still lack Linux support), so downloading and launching shouldn't be too difficult either.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
If he can get the mods and launch, connecting to your server shouldn't be an issue. I think Twitch has Mac support (I know they still lack Linux support), so downloading and launching shouldn't be too difficult either.

Can confirm, they support Mac, and it runs quite well.

Reactions: Drbretto

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Not gonna lie. Some small part of me was hoping it wouldn't. He was my first ever student. I taught him how to program a PC when we were 8. Now he's making half a mil a year doing exactly that! I'm not at all jealous!

(edit: For real, though, good to know! He's a great dude who deserves every bit of it, I'm just kidding :p)

Reactions: Daihok

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Not gonna lie. Some small part of me was hoping it wouldn't. He was my first ever student. I taught him how to program a PC when we were 8. Now he's making half a mil a year doing exactly that! I'm not at all jealous!

(edit: For real, though, good to know! He's a great dude who deserves every bit of it, I'm just kidding :p)
Guess who's financing the new server! :cool:

asiekierka

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
Dec 24, 2013
While I might be able to re-write a mod that no longer required McJty's as a base, like Thermal Expansion or Railcraft did with regards to Buildcraft, separating it from the Community.

Actually, one could argue - with SpaceToad taking over BuildCraft back from CovertJaguar and later events - that it was Buildcraft which broke away from Railcraft, as technically the decision to ditch MJ for 1.7.10 was made on our side and Railcraft was forced to adapt to it as the more or less final MJ-exclusive mod (excluding BC-specific addons).

A

AlexanderHels

Is there a way to change/alter a Tinker's tool appearance? Just the cosmetics of the tool.

I vaguely remember some method, but I can't recall it, and cannot locate it through searches. Just getting so tired of purple Manyullyn swords.

Thank you,

A

OniyaMCD

Mar 30, 2015
Is there a way to change/alter a Tinker's tool appearance? Just the cosmetics of the tool.

I vaguely remember some method, but I can't recall it, and cannot locate it through searches. Just getting so tired of purple Manyullyn swords.

Thank you,

A

Adding Nether Quartz puts a white edge on it - also gives you Sharpness, which is a benefit. Moss Balls turn them green. None of this is 'purely' cosmetic, but hey, the change in appearance is a bonus too, right?