Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
hmm, looks like they're both behind the nether wall then. I guess it'll be a race!

They both look fairly easy. Actually, the soul vial doesn't cost me a precious early game ender pearl, so that's a big plus.

As always, thanks!

zBob

Jul 29, 2019
The golden lasso is only gold and string and 8 levels, I think a recent update added in a limitation so that you could only pick up the same entity once with a lasso. The cursed lasso for picking up mobs with 2 hearts or less needs the wither skeleton drop of evil added onto a golden lasso to craft. But for starting out the golden lasso will work just fine for animals and villagers.

R

Ri365

Does anyone know why when I come onto the FTB website why I can't download the launcher

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
FtB's packs were moved to Curse at least a year ago... The FtB launcher was still available here to download for a while but I don't know if that's still the case.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
The old launcher is still there. Bottom of the main page, under the download button, it has a link to the legacy version. That's the old launcher

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
The old launcher is still there. Bottom of the main page, under the download button, it has a link to the legacy version. That's the old launcher

This is correct, but note the Legacy Launcher has little to no support these days, and I'm pretty sure some newer packs won't show up on it at all. Unless you have a good reason to use it, you're better served using a newer launcher.

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
Only FTB published packs will show up on the legacy launcher and curse. Almost all 3rd party packs use some other system (mostly curse) for publishing packs. I know my pack is only on Curse and will not be found on the legacy launcher.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
This is the first time I've done an official modpack while having a clue. Today is the first time I've updated. Sadly didn't see the separate profile option before updating and it messed a couple things up. No big deal, it only messed up my own customizations and I can fix it up in a jiffy.

But, I'm not going to want to keep doing this every other day. Being that this pack is new on a platform that's only semi recently become stable, how often should I be updating? What's the likelihood of an update breaking my world, based on history? Biggest concern is that I'll be running a server. I can get away with not worrying about it now, but if one dummy on the server accidentally updates...

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
@Drbretto I have another copy of my server and development instance of my mod pack on curse. So my usual process is the following once every couple of weeks (depends on some bugs with mods)
  1. Start by upgrading individual mods on my dev instance on Curse. Usually I'll note which ones I'm updating for the update log and I will do batches of 5 or 6 mods at once. I'll launch the game using this instance just to make sure the game loads.
  2. Test any config & scripting changes. Again I use the dev instance for this as well. Once I know the client works I move on to the next step
  3. I use a hosted server that does backups every 6 hours to my dropbox account. I take the most recent backup and restore it to a server that runs on my PC. I than copy the mods folder out of my Curse dev instance over to the server on my PC. I disable/remove any client side only mods from the server then test the server to make sure it runs. Your backup process will probably be different but the idea is the same.
  4. Next I have the Curse dev instance running and the local dev server and I make sure I can log in. Check a few things at my base and maybe tour a couple of the players bases as well.
  5. If all goes well to this point I export the instance and zip up the dev server files I need and upload them as an update to the pack on curse and wait for their approval.
  6. Last step once the approvals are in place is to actually update the hosted "production" server (always backup just before you update) and tell all of the players to update their pack from Curse.
Other may do if differently. But I've been running my server for more than 3 years now. And my worse case scenario has happened a few times. But, I've always been able to recover by restoring the previous version of the pack and maybe restoring the world from backup.

Hope this helps!

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
A lot of that went over my head for right now, lol, but I'll reference it again before I kick the server off. I think you did just confirm it's going to be the pain in the butt I thought it was going to be, though.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
A lot of that went over my head for right now, lol, but I'll reference it again before I kick the server off. I think you did just confirm it's going to be the pain in the butt I thought it was going to be, though.

If you're running one of the premade (FTB or otherwise) packs, you can simply backup everything (always backup regularly anyway, but especially before updates) then update your client with little issue. Most of the pain in the butt has been done already, in that the mods have all been tested for stability and compatibility before FTB will push the update. Once you're sure your client works to your satisfaction, you can simply copy the mods folder over (disregarding any client side mods) and test the server. If it boots, log in and do a walkthrough. If issues arise, roll back to the backups. If not, let your players know what version the server is running, and everything should be fine.

If you are maintaining your own pack, @Henry Link takes a fair approach. Maintaining your own pack is always more pain because all the testing is done on your end by you. In this case, updating small groups of mods at once is recommended, else trying to nail down any potential conflicts is more difficult.

Usually, I don't bother updating mods unless they have fixed something that could corrupt my world, fixed a bug I'm currently encountering, or added new content that I want to play with. That said, any pack I put together is for myself and a few friends at most, so I don't feel the responsibility that comes with maintaining a public pack.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
I'm planning to run with FTB Beyond and the only things I'm adding are a couple of server-side only worldgen mods (RTG, recurrent complex) and my own personal client-side mods (optifine, replaymod) to make it easier for anyone not named DrBretto to stay up to date. Anyone should be able to just click update on their end.

When it was going to be a 1.7.10 pack, it didn't matter. Once it's up and running, nothing needed to be updated so there's nothing for anyone to do. Now with this being early on in the pack's life, I'm guessing the updates are a little more important, and my gut feeling is that it'll be best to keep updating as they get released if only because you never know when some dummy on the server is gonna update their client and not be able to get in.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Separate question, anyone know where I can find an up to date wiki or something? I had been using FTBwiki.org but that seems almost abandoned. Mainly, I'm looking for what's actually in extra utilities at this point. EU has the ender quarry, but I didn't see that in NEI in the game. And apparently the recipe for the golden lasso has changed. Is there a resource on this?

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I don't know about Beyond, but Direwolf20 said it'll be in his pack when it's more stable.

Yijare

Jul 29, 2019
This is correct, but note the Legacy Launcher has little to no support these days, and I'm pretty sure some newer packs won't show up on it at all. Unless you have a good reason to use it, you're better served using a newer launcher.

FTB launcher - is a Minecrfat Launcher. Ans JUST a Minecraft launcher. Curse Launcher is a conglomarate of a multitude of Features a Minecraft-launcher does not need. also you cant install it where you want it to be installed. that was a big selling point of the original and curse destroyed it. I may repeat myself, but the curse/twitch launcher is not an option if you wnat to play minecraft whitout that WoW launcher that curse is and will always be. i dont need another steam like application. we already have origin, u play, nVidea experiance (yes they do have a 'game launcher'), AMD Raptr, to just name a few.

I dont need another add me friend thingy with chat and voice - i have discord for this. also teamspeak. the latter more stable and more usefull.

oh, and i HAVE to have an curse account linked to the launcher, otherwise i cant even use it. FTB just works.

so, to have a 'newer' client i have to downgrade in user friendlieness, have to downgrade to a programm that you can't install where you want it. (remember folks. the C-Drive is NOT the Drive to install ALL the things, go read it up) and i have to deal with a buttload of crap that adds features that are plain simply not part of the minecraft launcher, but of an Suit that is uncalled for.

tl;dr: The Upgrade to Curse is an downgrade overall.

Reactions: Everlasting2