Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

OniyaMCD

Mar 30, 2015
@OniyaMCD The portals must be 1000 blocks apart in the overworld. There are tricks to solve this using vanilla mechanics. Take the newest portal's coordinates and divide them by 8. Then go into the nether go to the divided coordinates and the build a portal there. Go through it and it should go to the newer portal in the over world. Break one block in the new portal and re-light it. It should now link to the portal you just created in the nether. Mind you this process can be a little fussy and doesn't always work.

Yup, that's the current plan, and it's worked for other people on the server. I was just really sure I was out of range after all that traveling. ;D When you convert it to actual meters, some of these 'oceans' are smaller than the Great Lakes.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
There should be something called the "Crate Carrier" or something similar used for that purpose. To me it looks like square shaped ice tongs. Also not that they're tiered... You need the more expensive versions for larger storage types.

I am not seeing this. However, there IS a thing called crate carrot. Fun fact.

I also thought I was slick and deleted the entire journeymap folder hoping that would fix my other issue. Still nothing. Nothing happens when I hit j. I can't see anything to bind j to in the key bindings to open journeymap. And I know j worked just a few hours ago.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I am not seeing this. However, there IS a thing called crate carrot. Fun fact.

I also thought I was slick and deleted the entire journeymap folder hoping that would fix my other issue. Still nothing. Nothing happens when I hit j. I can't see anything to bind j to in the key bindings to open journeymap. And I know j worked just a few hours ago.

I just got home and looked it up... It's a mod called "Chest Transporter" and there are several tiered models starting with "Wood Chest Transporter".

Sorry for the misdirection but I hadn't had coffee yet :D

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
I just got home and looked it up... It's a mod called "Chest Transporter" and there are several tiered models starting with "Wood Chest Transporter".

Sorry for the misdirection but I hadn't had coffee yet :D

There it is! Thank you!

Also I fixed the journeymap issue. I had an advantage because I was the only one who could have known I was apparently lying to everyone when I said it wasn't a keybinding issue. It was a keybinding issue.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
For beyond, What's my alternative method to store XP? It looks like XP solidifier is disabled, and previously I had been using (i think) openblocks' xp grate and tanks/barrels to store it, with an XP shower head to extract it.

I see there are the same spikes I used and something to replace the vacuum hopper, so I know liquid XP is possible, but I don't know how to actually use it.

Edit: Also, no quarry at all? Or is there one that doesn't have quarry in the name?

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
For beyond, What's my alternative method to store XP? It looks like XP solidifier is disabled, and previously I had been using (i think) openblocks' xp grate and tanks/barrels to store it, with an XP shower head to extract it.

I see there are the same spikes I used and something to replace the vacuum hopper, so I know liquid XP is possible, but I don't know how to actually use it.

Edit: Also, no quarry at all? Or is there one that doesn't have quarry in the name?
Unless they've been disabled, Actually Additions has the Vertical Digger and Environmental Tech has the Void Ore Miner. The former digs straight down, gets bigger with more Phantom Boosters put on top, and can be set to pick up all blocks or just ores. The latter is very much akin to a multiblock, upgradeable (or at least multi-tiered) version of MFR's mining laser.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drbretto and zBob

zBob

Jul 29, 2019

Ender IO Experience obelisk works very well, once you switch to that even in your 1.7.10 worlds you will not want to go back to the grate and shower method again.

For quarries your best bet will be the RF Tools Builder, you can also use the one from Actually Additions, I think it is called the vertical miner.

You might want to start watching some lets plays of 1.10.2 packs there are a ton out there for Sky Factory 3 and Beyond so if you find a Youtuber you can enjoy watching you might want to put that on a second screen while you are playing and they help you with ideas about the options in the newer packs. Also DW20 has some updated spotlights on 1.10 mods for things like Botania, the RFTools suite and Actually Additions. Many of the mod authors stopped updating their 1.7.10 versions when they switched to 1.10 so even if the mod did not totally change there might be a decent amount of new content for you to discover.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Ya know, I really do need to start watching some mod spotlights and lets plays. I fly blind on everything.

I even have two side-by-side TVs, so I could easily do this while I play, thanks for the tips!

As far as things to discover, you don't even know! lol. I just jumped into this. I am reading up on all the mods in the pack now. It was all a lark, but I can't ever go back to 1.7.10 anymore, as much as it KILLS me to start over. Again.

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
Ender IO Experience obelisk works very well, once you switch to that even in your 1.7.10 worlds you will not want to go back to the grate and shower method again.

Also, you can use the Ender IO vat to convert XP into a liquid. You can then pipe that liquid to the obelisk, tanks or to other Ender IO machines that need XP. I have been using with the XP shards from Woot to convert them.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Thanks for those tips as well.

In my googlings, I did find an interesting mod already in that pack that has the old school method as well. Mob Griding Utils, which has the fans, too. Looks like someone's answer to some of the missing openblocks stuff. And some neat looking mob grinders. So it turns out there are all kinds of options!

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
Okay, this may not be a simple question to answer, but it's gotta be asked...

Why has the FTB team decided to disable certain mod blocks/ores in the kitchen sink version of the Beyond pack?
I could understand when it comes to the Expert Mode version, but the plain one? Makes no sense.

AA black quartz ore gen has been disabled, making early RF production with Oil Generators gated behind the Nether. Sure it's not the end of the world, but Oil Generators are supposed to be early game items.
Environmental Tech ore gen disabled. Sure you can craft the Hardened Stone, but again, this isn't Expert mode. On a personal note, I much prefer the Alabaster blocks look over the Hardened Stone and if I want them I need to make the Environmental Tech miner, but that's personal preference so neither here nor there.
*note* Some could say Environmental Tech's ore spawn was way too abundant, and I could agree, but if you can remove an ore, you can tweak how rare/abundant it is.
Experience Solidifier disabled? Why? I'm not sure why this would even happen, especially since the mod is gated behind the Nether. Sure EnderIO's Experience Obelisk is quite good at what it does, but why remove the option?

I'm just very confused by all of the decisions/directions that the team has taken with the plain jane kitchen sink version.

*shakes head

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
@Cptqrk a lot of those questions were answered during the FTB townhall they held about a month or so ago. Also as for the alabaster you can still get it. But you will need to make the resource miner first from hardened stone. If you do some searching for it I'm sure you can find the recording of it.

Scottly318

Jul 29, 2019
Personally don't see an issue with not being able to find hardened stone. Seems better suited as a crafted block imo. Don't find many "hardened" things in nature

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Okay, this may not be a simple question to answer, but it's gotta be asked...

Why has the FTB team decided to disable certain mod blocks/ores in the kitchen sink version of the Beyond pack?
I could understand when it comes to the Expert Mode version, but the plain one? Makes no sense.

AA black quartz ore gen has been disabled, making early RF production with Oil Generators gated behind the Nether. Sure it's not the end of the world, but Oil Generators are supposed to be early game items.
Environmental Tech ore gen disabled. Sure you can craft the Hardened Stone, but again, this isn't Expert mode. On a personal note, I much prefer the Alabaster blocks look over the Hardened Stone and if I want them I need to make the Environmental Tech miner, but that's personal preference so neither here nor there.
*note* Some could say Environmental Tech's ore spawn was way too abundant, and I could agree, but if you can remove an ore, you can tweak how rare/abundant it is.
Experience Solidifier disabled? Why? I'm not sure why this would even happen, especially since the mod is gated behind the Nether. Sure EnderIO's Experience Obelisk is quite good at what it does, but why remove the option?

I'm just very confused by all of the decisions/directions that the team has taken with the plain jane kitchen sink version.

*shakes head
I must admit, the experience solidifier was a bit of a mystery to me as well; I've used that to great effect and really enjoyed it. I guess it comes down to the fact that it creates solidified experience as an entity; the obelisk stores basically unlimited amounts in a block where it's just a figure. If I was trying to pare things down, and I had both of those options but wanted to choose just one, I'd probably go for the obelisk as well.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
For the record, I've never even used the experience solidifier, I was just looking for what the best option was. I'll look into that obelisk.

Anyway, my newest question: What's the BEST looking lava texture pack. Talkin' 512x512, animated and bump-mapped. Any recommendations?

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Another one, because all I do instead of working is think about minecraft...

Is there a nice simple way to relocate cows in beyond? I'm not about to walk backwards for 2500 meters holding wheat.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Oh, the golden lasso is still there? I thought that was openblocks. I'm always mixing that up with EU...

I don't know how difficult a soul vial is to make, but I'll look into that as a backup.

OniyaMCD

Mar 30, 2015
Oh, the golden lasso is still there? I thought that was openblocks. I'm always mixing that up with EU...

I don't know how difficult a soul vial is to make, but I'll look into that as a backup.

Soul vials are pretty easy. The 'trickiest' thing is Soularium, which requires gold and Soul Sand in an Alloy Smelter (assuming the recipes aren't changed from the last time I made one) Click a mob with it to pick it up, click it on the ground to dump it out. (Or stick it in a powered spawner if you're far enough along the tech tree, and get as many as you want!)