Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Stimo

Jul 29, 2019
Hi, I've been away from FTB for a while, I was wondering whats the best/biggest pack to be playing currently? Is it still Infinity?

Thanks.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Hi, I've been away from FTB for a while, I was wondering whats the best/biggest pack to be playing currently? Is it still Infinity?

Thanks.

Right now, Infinity is probably the biggest. There are also Infinity "Expert" and "Skyblock" versions if you missed those. "Expert" mode is an option in the regular pack, which adds harder recipes and other config tweaks. "Skyblock" is obvious.

This will continue to be the largest (I refuse to say best as that is subjective) pack until 1.8.9 (not likely), 1.9.4 or 1.10.x catch up in terms of mod selection. It's a close race as 1.8.9 mods were moderately easy to update to 1.9.4, and 1.9.4 packs essentially have an 80% chance to rum under 1.10.x with very few tweaks.

missHPfan2

Jul 29, 2019
You need to use the Coupler Track before and after to fix it.

I guess I'll try that later. It doesn't really seem like it will, though, as the train gets split right as one cart heads up/down. A test with a train of three carts heading up resulted in the third being left behind and the second barely hanging on. I had to put a booster track at the top to get the trains to actually make it over the edge and not stop, only for this to come up.
I decided not to use trains for now. I have a bunch of IE crates, and those will do just fine. 'Course, once I drain this cave completely, building a rail to the next one, wherever that is, is gonna be reeaaal fun.
Btw, the state cell/NOT gate setup works perfectly for the elevator. No problems with it at all.

Last edited:

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I guess I'll try that later. It doesn't really seem like it will, though, as the train gets split right as one cart heads up/down. A test with a train of three carts heading up resulted in the third being left behind and the second barely hanging on. I had to put a booster track at the top to get the trains to actually make it over the edge and not stop, only for this to come up.
I decided not to use trains for now. I have a bunch of IE crates, and those will do just fine. 'Course, once I drain this cave completely, building a rail to the next one, wherever that is, is gonna be reeaaal fun.
Btw, the state cell/NOT gate setup works perfectly for the elevator. No problems with it at all.
I don't think you understand. You split the train up, let it pass the elevator, and then couple it back up. At least that is what I would try, if I were actually putting trains through elevator tracks.

And yes ofc you need booster/directional boosters in conjunction with the elevator tracks. If you checked the video I posted as a response to your earlier post, I used both of those.

missHPfan2

Jul 29, 2019
Ah. I just hope that doesn't stop the other cart dead, as that's what happened when I was trying to get it to go down. Good thing I looted a bunch of crowbars from the shit ton of villages in my world.

Fedex_worker

Jul 29, 2019
Has anyone tried using the Tanks from the OpenBlocks mod? I made some and filled them with liquid xp with a fluiduct, but I can't right click them to extract XP like you are supposed to. I also tried using an XP bottler and XP shower from the mod but they didn't seem to do anything. It seems like it is impossible to extract XP from them. Anyone have any ideas?

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Has anyone tried using the Tanks from the OpenBlocks mod? I made some and filled them with liquid xp with a fluiduct, but I can't right click them to extract XP like you are supposed to. I also tried using an XP bottler and XP shower from the mod but they didn't seem to do anything. It seems like it is impossible to extract XP from them. Anyone have any ideas?

I had similar issue with the tank in my Inventions world. I resorted to using an MFR Straw to drink it up. I was using Mob Essence rather than LiquidXP, but the intent is the same.

BIBLO

Jul 29, 2019
how do i go about setting up a server for the 1.10 ftb unstable pack. I want it for just me and my son. I know we might have to to world resets at times.

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
how do i go about setting up a server for the 1.10 ftb unstable pack. I want it for just me and my son. I know we might have to to world resets at times.

Easiest way is to host it in the beefier computer and open the world to LAN. That's how my GF and I play on our world

Sent from my igloo using Canadian Goose Mesenger

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Does anyone know how to make elevator tracks not decouple carts and cause them to leave behind carts linked to them? I want to get a small train of a normal cart and a chest cart or two in and out of my mine, and this is the last issue I need to solve. Everything else is working except this...
Getting your linked carts up the elevator without them delinking is... difficult, if not impossible (elevator tracks are a bit funky), so letting them decouple and then recoupling them afterward (with a Coupler Track) is the closest you're going to get.

As for the issue about not all of the carts actually making it up to the elevator, my first thought was Control Tracks. I'm not sure if they're still called that, but they're the ones that gradually accelerate carts in one direction, speeding them up if it's moving in the right direction and slowing them down if it's going the wrong way. You can flip them around with a crowbar, and they'll also flip when given a redstone signal.

So, in your situation, I'd place a few control tracks immediately above and below the elevator and wrench them so they point "downwards" when unpowered (that is, the ones at the bottom should point away from the elevator, and the ones at the top should point toward it, so that a cart placed at the bottom will be pushed straight up the elevator), a coupler track just after those, and then the detector track from earlier just after the coupler at the top. Then, hook the output of the NOT gate that's powering the elevator up to both sets of control tracks. This way, the control tracks will push carts up the elevator by default, but will flip around whenever one comes in from the top.

Also, when a cart comes off the top of your elevator, does it first go up a sloped track before rolling onto whatever horizontal tracks you may have up there? If so, try removing that slope and having the carts go directly off onto horizontal track. With the way the elevator tracks are coded, I *think* that works better. It'll certainly help keep carts from getting stuck at the top.

If your OpenBlocks tanks are filled with OpenBlocks' own version of liquid XP (i.e. that collected by vacuum hoppers and the XP drain grate thingy whose name I've forgotten), it should work fine, as long as there's enough XP in the tank to give you another level. Other mods' versions of liquid XP will not work that way.

For MFR mob essence (produced by that mod's grinder and sewer), you can place a bucket of the stuff in the world (manually or with something like a Buildcraft floodgate) and drink it through an MFR Straw, or pipe it into an MFR Auto-Enchanter along with some glass bottles to get Bottles o' Enchanting, which you can throw against a wall to get the XP out.

EnderIO has its own variant on liquid XP, but if you have OpenBlocks installed, it should just use the OpenBlocks version. Try piping it into an Experience Obelisk and see if that works.

There's also a mod called Liquid XP that Immibis wrote a long time ago, though if you were using that, I think you'd know it. I've no idea if it's been updated recently, anyway.

Chromaticraft has yet another take on liquid XP, but it's called Liquid Chroma, so I doubt you'd get it confused with anything else.

A

Aycce

Hi, I've recently got my Iridium Drill in Infinity Evolved and I would like to put Soulbound on it, because NEI says it can be enchanted. But when I try to put the enchant with a book it simply doesn't work. How do I put Soulbound ?

joshwoo70

Jul 29, 2019
that is how we doing it now, but if he plays while i am gone he has to log my char in.
yeah I get the feeling. I also do my own private servers from time to time to test various stuff on my computer.

Go to the ftb launcher.
Click on the pack you want to download the server and find the button where it says "download server"
extract, run .bat from a folder and zolia.

Sent from a phone running tapatalk OS

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
that is how we doing it now, but if he plays while i am gone he has to log my char in.

I leave my computer runnin it in the background while I'm at work. I know it's not the best solution, but it's the one with the least hassle and zero costs

Sent from my igloo using Canadian Goose Mesenger

D

Dweia

I feel that you didn't use the BC kinetic pipe to supply energry to the robot.

Sent from a phone running tapatalk OS

I used a emerald kinetic pipe attached to a immersive engineering cable. The emerald pipe was attached to a golden kinetic pipe with an emerald AND gate and the docking station-thing attached to it. The robot was charging fully, it just didn't want to get to work.

missHPfan2

Jul 29, 2019
What I was talking about is what happens when a coupler track decouples carts. Say a pair of them goes over the track and gets decoupled. Will the second cart, the one in the back, get slowed or stopped, or will both carts continue at roughly the same speed? My setup has room for a pair of coupler tracks but not much else.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
What I was talking about is what happens when a coupler track decouples carts. Say a pair of them goes over the track and gets decoupled. Will the second cart, the one in the back, get slowed or stopped, or will both carts continue at roughly the same speed? My setup has room for a pair of coupler tracks but not much else.
The coupler track *shouldn't* decouple carts- there's a Decoupler Track for that. Whether or not carts get stuck after being decoupled by a derpy Elevator Track most likely depends very sensitively on your exact setup (or, at least, depends on behavior that I'm not familiar with), so the best I can say is that if your carts get stuck, throw in some boosters of some sort. The main reason that I recommended the Control Tracks is that they can accelerate carts that are completely stopped, but if the derpy elevators don't actually cause any of your carts to stop completely, then ordinary vanilla powered tracks would work just fine.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
The coupler track *shouldn't* decouple carts- there's a Decoupler Track for that.
The Decoupler track have been discontinued and its features have been incorporated into the Coupler Track(same thing happened to most of the tracks). How it acts on passing trains depends on the mode it is set to and redstone signal.

missHPfan2

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, the coupler track serves both purposes. And carts were being abandoned at the top of my elevator despite the booster I put at it, which was because the train wasn't going fast enough to make it over the edge (a cart by itself does, though). The question I wanted to ask is if, when the carts are decoupled, will both keep going at about the same speed or will the one(s) in the back get slowed/stopped in the case of a train of two, maybe three carts?

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a way to place snow layers in survival?

Harvesting snow layers gives snowballs.
Attempting to place snowballs on the ground throws them.

Other than making a golem (assume I have no access to pumpkins on a resource starved map), is there any way to make snow layers in survival?