Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

NoElement

Jul 29, 2019
A lot of details are required to properly answer this...

1). Current system specs. We don't know if you need to upgrade from a 32-bit system or just need to add some ram, a decent video card or just an upgrade to a newer Java version.

2). What paid server service? Different vendors have different reputations, different hardware specs and different service levels not to mention different monthly prices.

3). How good is your ISP? If all you have is a 56k modem a paid server will not do anything but waste money each month.

Thank you for the reply.

1. Quad-Core AMD A8-6600K 4 x 4000 MHz | 8192MB DDR3 | 1000GB S-ATA II HDD | AMD Radeon HD 8570 40

2. I have no clue, that's why i'm asking. I was on two servers before, dunno about their specs (but both were smooth) - one of them was the offical Simply Magic 2 test server. @DrasticDemise would know, i guess.

3. 2200 kBit/s at most, but we are expected to get an upgrade soonish.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Thank you for the reply.

1. Quad-Core AMD A8-6600K 4 x 4000 MHz | 8192MB DDR3 | 1000GB S-ATA II HDD | AMD Radeon HD 8570 40

2. I have no clue, that's why i'm asking. I was on two servers before, dunno about their specs (but both were smooth) - one of them was the offical Simply Magic 2 test server. @DrasticDemise would know, i guess.

3. 2200 kBit/s at most, but we are expected to get an upgrade soonish.

Your system looks quite similar to mine (4Ghz FX-8350, 8GB DDR3 and NVidea GT610), although the extra cores don't contribute to Minecraft performance. If you are going to run a multiplayer server then it looks like you might be good after the ISP upgrade.

If you are just going to run single player or with a couple of local buddies you might consider a smaller system (dual core would be plenty, plain graphics since you'd only run the Java Console visibly) to set up locally as a server, it should be cheaper in the long run.

A

axel4340

trying to play project ozone, but curse launcher seems to refuse to install on anything but my small SSD that my OS is on. any way to change this, or hopefully play project ozone on the infinitely better (and less invasive) ftb launcher?

V

Viperion

trying to play project ozone, but curse launcher seems to refuse to install on anything but my small SSD that my OS is on. any way to change this, or hopefully play project ozone on the infinitely better (and less invasive) ftb launcher?
Related, is there any way to change where the Curse Launcher installs your instances of games?

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Is there a way to make AE2 only spawn the underground meteorites, and not the aboveground ones that tend to ruin whole mountain sides?

EDIT: Ended up changing the config so the meteorites only spawn in Aroma1997's Mining world.

Last edited:
Reactions: malicious_bloke
V

Viperion

(I realize this isn't exactly the right place to post this, but it is the most active thread on this board by quite some margin)

So I've put together a modpack and although I haven't gone very deep into it yet, I'm loving how it's turned out. It's steampunk based - there are no magic mods, and no super-tech mods like Galacticraft or ComputerCraft or AE2. The three mods I'd consider "core" to it are Immersive Engineering (love those wires!), Railcraft, and Flaxbeard's Steam Power. I did include Thermal Foundation/Expansion, but I'm thinking of taking it out as being a bit too "modern" (I initially put it in purely to use the Energy Cells, but the Immersive Engineering Capacitors are doing the work for me atm :) ) I also left out Tinker's, because IMO it makes tools and weapons too easy-mode.

If I were to upload the pack to the curse launcher (if/after it gets approved, of course), would anyone be interested in giving it a test run for me? It runs almost entirely off Curse-enabled mods, with Mekanism v9 being the sole exception.

To keep this post vaguely on topic; I've noticed that the mousewheel function of MouseTweaks isn't working; it'll put one item from an inventory (e.g chest) into my inventory, but then scrolling more just results in another item being put in and then being taken straight back out and put back into the chest. I encountered this in another modpack as well (Tekkit Legends, IIRC). Anyone else run into this and find a fix for it?

erindalc

Popular Member
Mar 3, 2015
Steam
To keep this post vaguely on topic; I've noticed that the mousewheel function of MouseTweaks isn't working; it'll put one item from an inventory (e.g chest) into my inventory, but then scrolling more just results in another item being put in and then being taken straight back out and put back into the chest. I encountered this in another modpack as well (Tekkit Legends, IIRC). Anyone else run into this and find a fix for it?

Yes. Another mod is conflicting. Disable that in mousetweaks settings, and it should work as intended.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Hello! When my friend and I first opened a blank magic map when in Twilight forest we noticed that our arrow markers on the map were spinning around and thus figuring out which direction we were heading was a bit troublesome. How do we fix this plz? Thanks

Edit: FTB Infinity evolved - expert mode
It takes a while for the TF map to update. After a few minutes the heading will display properly AND the boss icons will display as well.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Need help with a slime problem... my SSP world began as SMP, and they brilliantly decided that a Green Swamplands biome would make a lovely place for a spawn... a year later, they're all long gone, but I'm still playing and dealing with the consequences.

How can I stop slimes from spawning? Apparently because of this biome, the slimes can break the "only spawn below elevation 40" rule, and thus I either have to listen to the stupid things making noise above me all day long while I play (and dripping their green goo into my base)... or I constantly have to go outside, kill all the slimes, go back inside to work for a while, and repeat this over and over and over.

Very aggravating indeed. Magnum Torch is zero help. What can I do, besides moving my entire base? Is just removing all the grass blocks sufficient? They seem to be spawing on the roof of my base, which is regular stone and not grass, so I'm not sure paving the entire world will stop them. Will it?

Last edited:

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
What modpack? If it's got blood magic, witchery, thaumcraft, or a few other mods you can change the biome so it's not green swamplands as an option.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
What modpack? If it's got blood magic, witchery, thaumcraft, or a few other mods you can change the biome so it's not green swamplands as an option.

It's Infitech2 modpack, and yeah it's def got Thaumcraft at the very least. So just spamming Silverwood trees everywhere will fix my problem? I'll cheat in a stack of saplings and be done with it, in that case. Thanks.

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
It's Infitech2 modpack, and yeah it's def got Thaumcraft at the very least. So just spamming Silverwood trees everywhere will fix my problem? I'll cheat in a stack of saplings and be done with it, in that case. Thanks.
InfiTech 2? Assuming you've hit energised nodes you can use the terrestrial reformer from witching gadgets, when supplied with centivis and the correct types of essentia and a focus it'll turn the nearby terrain to a different biome.

Just chucking silverwoods everywhere would work too though. The monster repellator from GT is basically a superpowered tech version of the magnum torch too as a potential option.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Need help with a slime problem... my SSP world began as SMP, and they brilliantly decided that a Green Swamplands biome would make a lovely place for a spawn... a year later, they're all long gone, but I'm still playing and dealing with the consequences.

How can I stop slimes from spawning? Apparently because of this biome, the slimes can break the "only spawn below elevation 40" rule, and thus I either have to listen to the stupid things making noise above me all day long while I play (and dripping their green goo into my base)... or I constantly have to go outside, kill all the slimes, go back inside to work for a while, and repeat this over and over and over.

Very aggravating indeed. Magnum Torch is zero help. What can I do, besides moving my entire base? Is just removing all the grass blocks sufficient? They seem to be spawing on the roof of my base, which is regular stone and not grass, so I'm not sure paving the entire world will stop them. Will it?
I *think* that swamp slimes only spawn in darkness, so spamming torches or Thaumcraft arcane lamps everywhere should solve it.

If you've got Botania, the Narslimmus flower will also cancel slime spawns and produce mana to boot.

Johannes

Jul 29, 2019
I know that you can prevent manasteel armor from taking damage if you provide it a mana source. However, if it would take damage, can you still repair it somehow?

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
All manasteel tools repair with mana as far as I know, along with preventing damage in the first place.

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
So you just throw it into the mana pool then? Thank you.
No, needs a tablet like the other tools and armour I think.

I am trying to make a modpack of my own, and was wondering how the ore generation in the wold was controlled. I really don't like having three different kinds of tin and two of copper.
Each individual mods config should contain the ability to disable their version, something like CoFHCore lets you create custom oregen to replace any missing if you want that. But mainly just figure out what mods are adding duplicates and go disable it in those specific mods configs.

L

lizard2547

No, needs a tablet like the other tools and armour I think.

Each individual mods config should contain the ability to disable their version, something like CoFHCore lets you create custom oregen to replace any missing if you want that. But mainly just figure out what mods are adding duplicates and go disable it in those specific mods configs.

Thanks. Just new to this... but modpack is turning out fine

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame