1. Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

Discussion in 'General FTB chat' started by HeffronCM, Jan 29, 2013.

1. rhn

rhn Too Much Free Time

Yes AFAIK you are stuck with 32 channels per ring. But nothing really limits how many rings you have(you can make something pretty cool looking with several of them).

What you basically do is use your Quantum ring channels on P2P (ME cable) channels. You can have up to 32 of them. On each of the P2P channels you then hook up a Dense cable and suddenly you have 32*32 channels. If that is not enough you put P2P channels of the Dense cables and you end up with 32*32*32 channels. And so on...

This is IMO an appalling circumvention of the channel mechanic. I honestly have no idea why the devs went through the trouble of adding the channel mechanic to make the mod less faceroll automation(good call), and then allowed this...

But yeah, you can basically a single dense cable running through your base/quantum rings and then have one of a "gazillion" dense cables coming out of the controller just magically appear wherever from a P2P if you so desire ;)

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
  2. Inaeo

Inaeo Forum Addict

Sometimes I wish I could run Quake...

I saw five straight minutes of 35 FPS the other night. If was jaw dropping. I seem to average 20 FPS on good days, although this is my SSP world. Things become slightly better when our server is carrying most of the load. I've never seen over 60, so count your blessings, people. In case it wasn't clear, my computer was a hand-me-down from Moses.

3. Someone Else 37

Someone Else 37 Forum Addict

Correct on most counts, except that channels powering P2P are marked as such internally and cannot be passed through other P2P tunnels. You can't nest P2Ps. Not ME P2Ps, at least; you might be able to power item or fluid or RF P2P tunnels through your other P2P tunnels. I haven't tested that.

You get 32 channels per quantum ring, and 32 more for each of those that powers a P2P tunnel with a dense cable on it. As you cannot nest them any deeper than that, the limit would be 32 * 32 = 1024 channels per quantum ring. If you need more than that... I doubt building another quantum ring will be an issue.

Fraction2 and rhn like this.
  4. Mortern

Mortern New Member

Hey

Thanks for all the help, i do have P2P set up for my base, so i presume i could change that round and send it through the Quantum ring, i have space available on the controllers there.

I currently have a ME Controller Ring that has 16 P2P tunnels connected to it, each of those sets of 8 go into one length of Dense Cable and off each dense cable is 4 rows of Smart cable, each with 8 P2P tunnels on giving me 8 x 32 x 4 (twice) in the base, i haven't used 1 set of those so i could route the second set through the Quantum ring, do the same setup on the other side (1 dense, into 4 smart into 8 p2p tunnels each) and do it that way i think?

But, i didn't realise you could connect more than one Quantum Ring, that might be easier, and maybe less expensive, in reality i don't think i need 1024 channels in my remote base.

So 2 more Quantum Rings giving me 64 might just be enough, i'll have to work out the costs.

5. Adonis0

Adonis0 Popular Member

Question

Investigating Thaumic Energistics, and I've come across the Distillation Pattern Encoder, and I'm curious as to what it's use is. I recognise that you can make patterns which output essentia. What my question is, can a crafting system recognise that an infusion altar needs x essentia and craft it on demand?

or is this type of system only doable through the use of essentia level emitters?

6. rhn

rhn Too Much Free Time

According to this it seems so:
    http://minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/thaumic-energistics/files/2277083

7. Ashendale

Ashendale Active Member

Was there an item, on Infinity, that could output a precise value of redstone signal? I'm trying to use a comparator next to a mana pool, but running some redstone and leaving a torch isn't pleasing me much on the eyes, so I was looking for something more compact. I believe something like this existed. Or am I dreaming?

8. erindalc

erindalc Popular Member

I think maybe something from Automagy or Project:Red. Or maybe a buildcraft gate?

Ashendale likes this.
  9. Someone Else 37

Someone Else 37 Forum Addict

A buildcraft gate with the redstone fader upgrade might actually do it. I wouldn't have thought of that.

Ashendale and erindalc like this.
  10. rhn

rhn Too Much Free Time

Dim Crystal+Redstone Torch from Automagy will do it.
    A Programmable RedNet Controller can also be set to output specific redstone strengths on Rednet cables.

Never stumbled across anything simple from Project Red that will do it...

But... In case all you wish to do is detect when a pool is full/empty, you might as well just use a BC gate placed next to a Mana Pool.

Ashendale likes this.
  11. Pyure

Pyure Not Totally Useless

automagy can definitely do it with one of the crystals. There's a few other mods that have this capability, cant remember them off hand.

Ashendale likes this.
  12. Ashendale

Ashendale Active Member

Automagy isn't included in the pack, but the other alternatives are worth a shot. I'm trying to control my pools, so as to produce the necessary mana using Thermalilies with the Blood Magic ritual to keep my Elven Portal open without me giving a damn about it.

Each time Vazkii updates Botania after someone comes up to a solution to anything it feels like

13. erindalc

erindalc Popular Member

Derp. You're right.

14. Henry Link

Henry Link Popular Member

@Ashendale Computer Craft can also output a specific strength redstone signal.

Ashendale likes this.
  15. thephoenixlodge

thephoenixlodge Popular Member

Bibliocraft Bookcase, with the Redstone Volume One book. When that book is in it, the bookcase outputs a signal strength determined by what slot the book is in (0-7 across the top row, 8-15 across the bottom). Very useful in conjunction with the actual comparison/subtract function of the comparator.

Ashendale likes this.
  16. sgbros1

sgbros1 Popular Member

Chests also output a comparator signal, depending on how much stuff is inside. Furnaces too. And I believe the Minecraft Wiki has a corresponding number of items to signal strength from comparator.

So, point a comparator out from the mana pool, right click it to set it to subtract mode, point another comparator towards the side of the first comparator, from a chest containing some number of items.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
    Ashendale and Pyure like this.
  17. behedwin

behedwin Active Member

Hey
    Im looking for a good way to store lots of items... like flowers, seeds that tend to be hundreds of different variations but you only have a few of each.

For my main storage i use items from the mod Storage Drawer.
    But it becomes a bit silly to have lots of items that i only have a few of in drawers.

Any other option than chests or barrels?
    Do not recommend Applied Energitics as that is not an option for me right now.

Thanks in advance.

18. Pyure

Pyure Not Totally Useless

For things like seeds that don't even share an ID and therefore cannot be stored in a filing cabinet, my lame go-to solution is sadly just a bigger chest. I don't know of anything better.
    I typically keep seeds in a gold chest if you have iron chests in your pack (and you probably do). If you have EnderIO, it has a inventory management system (whose name escapes me) and which runs on distillation liquid or some such. Its like an extremely poor man's AE system but it would at least let you do "searches" on your flowers/seeds and such if you wanted to.

19. sgbros1

sgbros1 Popular Member

StorageSilo

Haven't played with it before because I don't have an active let's play, but it did pique my interest when I was pack developing.

20. rhn

rhn Too Much Free Time

Connect a Drawer Controller to your Storage Drawers. Put all your bulk items in the Drawers and lock them all. If you have empty drawers, then lock those too(if it is an earlier version you might need to put an item in, say a torch, lock and take it out).

Nearby you can set up some large chests(Iron Chest mod) or Filing Cabinets should work if it is the same type of items with just different stats that wont stack(Else the Advanced version should work regardless of type).

You can then use some sort of piping/sorting mod to first try to insert the items into the Controller and then into the chests as they are either available, you have filtered them or other more advanced methods.

I suggest using Logistics Pipes. Stick a Basic Pipe(or ItemSink module) on the Controller. This will attempt to insert all the items into the Storage drawers if it can(but we locked all the empty drawers ;))
    Have some large chests somewhere with Basic Pipes on them in "Default Route" mode, to make anything that doesn't have a place go here(your random junk buffers). I suggest 4-5 large chests for a decent buffer for when exploring etc.
    You could expand it with chests with the Polymorphic ItemSink module on them, so they will accept anything which is already in them(easy way to "program" your storage).
    Stick Provider Pipes/modules on each chest/controller/whatever and add a Request Pipe(I suggest MK2) to the network and you instantly have a search and request network.
    Add a Remote Orderer Pipe on an Ender Chest(paired with an Ender Pouch), pair it with a Remote Orderer and you now have access to your entire sorting network "on the go".