Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Knux897

Jul 29, 2019
Is it possible to hook an AE2 system up to an IC2 machine? I wanted to automate making diamonds and I need a Compressor to do so, but I would like to know before I do any wiring to test it.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Is it possible to hook an AE2 system up to an IC2 machine? I wanted to automate making diamonds and I need a Compressor to do so, but I would like to know before I do any wiring to test it.
Certainly. Machines in most mods, including IC2, accept material inputs from the top, fuels (or batteries) from the bottom, and let you extract outputs from the sides. So, the simplest way to automate a Compressor, say, would be to put an ME Interface on the top with recipes like Coal Ball -> Compressed Coal Ball and Coal Chunk -> Industrial Diamond, and an ME Import Bus on one of the sides. Alternatively, you could make an IC2 item ejection upgrade (or whatever that thing's called), set it to output items to the top, and put it inside your Compressor. That way, it'll dump the compressed items right back into the Interface, so you don't need the Import Bus at all.

Knux897

Jul 29, 2019
Certainly. Machines in most mods, including IC2, accept material inputs from the top, fuels (or batteries) from the bottom, and let you extract outputs from the sides. So, the simplest way to automate a Compressor, say, would be to put an ME Interface on the top with recipes like Coal Ball -> Compressed Coal Ball and Coal Chunk -> Industrial Diamond, and an ME Import Bus on one of the sides. Alternatively, you could make an IC2 item ejection upgrade (or whatever that thing's called), set it to output items to the top, and put it inside your Compressor. That way, it'll dump the compressed items right back into the Interface, so you don't need the Import Bus at all.

Ah, excellent! I'll get to experimenting with a setup then!

Reactions: Type1Ninja

KyneSilverhide

Jul 29, 2019
Some context : I'm not sure how block ids are handled now. I've checked, in solo, block and item IDs are differents than on my server (FTB Infinity). But i can play with no problem at all. But every schematic I try to copy is completly broken.

Question : Is there a way to ensure both my server and client use the same ids?

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Some context : I'm not sure how block ids are handled now. I've checked, in solo, block and item IDs are differents than on my server (FTB Infinity). But i can play with no problem at all. But every schematic I try to copy is completly broken.

If you are using packs based on MC 1.7.x, block IDs are now dynamically assigned based on mod load order, as I understood the tech info coming from Mojang at the time, and are name based, not number based (except internally).

All blocks are assigned IDs based on loading order. Let me preface this description by saying that I haven't done any MC programming so there might be details such as naming conventions a bit off. I followed the discussions because I work with computers and networks and like to be aware of details :D

The way this works is as follows...

Let's say, for the sake of argument, that we both have Yellorium Ore (Big Reactors, I think). IIRC, the names are in the format [Modname]:[Blockname]. If we load the mods in a different order from each other then your world might have "Big_Reactors:Yellorium.Ore" listed as [internal] block ID = 5432 while my world has it listed as equaling 7124. If I were to give you an ore block my client would take 1 "Big_Reactors:Yellorium.Ore" (7124) from my inventory and when you put it in your inventory your client would read "Big_Reactors:Yelloruim.ore" and convert it to your client's ID, or 5432.

When I saw this scheme I immediately thought of computer networking... When you plug a new computer into a network DHCP assigns you an IP address on the configured network, and DNS builds a cross-reference table that says "Bob's PC" = 192.168.1.123 . This table usually resides in your router, unless you are on a corporate network. When I want to send/receive something from Bob I connect to "Bob's PC" and the router translates that to the proper address. If Bob moves to a different department with it's own subnet, the new network assigns a new address ("Block ID") to the computer but it's still "Bob's PC".

The difference in Minecraft is that this table is stored in your world save file and the game runtime performs the look-up.

Last edited:

thephoenixlodge

Jul 29, 2019

A slight addition to what Hambeau said, if by schematic you're meaning MCEdit schematics, last time I looked the reason they break so thoroughly with modded MC now is that MCEdit stills uses the numerical IDs for its schematics, simply because its designed for use with vanilla, whose ID numbers actually are still hardcoded IIRC.

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
A slight addition to what Hambeau said, if by schematic you're meaning MCEdit schematics, last time I looked the reason they break so thoroughly with modded MC now is that MCEdit stills uses the numerical IDs for its schematics, simply because its designed for use with vanilla, whose ID numbers actually are still hardcoded IIRC.
tl;dr MCedit should be updated to also include a translation table between the ID in the schematic and the block names (and do the translate when loading it)

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013

Thanks for the info... This "Inquiring Mind" did not know that! :D

Rathengar

Jul 29, 2019
So , What is up with the bedrock spawning randomly at the bottom now in about 5 layers with holes and random spaces betwine except the last layer. Something new, or a bug ? I am used to bedrock being one straight layer surface with the occational 1 bedrock block over the "bottom" layer for water spawns.

I find it rather anoying i must admit hehe

thephoenixlodge

Jul 29, 2019
So , What is up with the bedrock spawning randomly at the bottom now in about 5 layers with holes and random spaces betwine except the last layer. Something new, or a bug ? I am used to bedrock being one straight layer surface with the occational 1 bedrock block over the "bottom" layer for water spawns.

I find it rather anoying i must admit hehe
That's the vanilla norm. It's mods that give the option to make bedrock flat.

Rathengar

Jul 29, 2019
That's the vanilla norm. It's mods that give the option to make bedrock flat.

Ah i see, Thank you very much. That explanes it. First time i play on a server i have added mods too myself, so first time i see it haha. Allways used the big mod heavy FTB packs until this one. Atm i use Lite3 as base with extra mods of my choise. Do you know which mod Ftb use in there other packs having the flat bedrock by chance ? I tried look throu a few pack but clearly i am either blind or its not easy to guess by mod name :p

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks , guess they forgot to turn it on in the lite3 pack then. (or choose not too) because it does have that mod. I will try look at the config then. :)
I *think* it's on by default, although you should check. Either way, though, it won't affect chunks that have already been generated; if you explore a new chunk, the bedrock will be flat, but all the places you have already explored will be annoying and bumpy.

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
Windows 10 yay or nay?

Sent from my ipotato
I have a couple friends who have already downloaded it, and it's kinda neat. Cortana is amusing; you can spend a decent chunk of time repeating "tell me a joke" and only be a little bored. ;)
For actual MC - it runs Java the same way Windows 7 or 8 would, so you shouldn't run into any issues with FTB or Minecraft or anything. That said, it hasn't been out that long; if there ARE issues, they'll start popping up around now.
You can also get a free copy of MC: Win10 Edition right now if you download Windows 10 (which may or may not be worth money, but hey, it's free right now!).

pc_assassin

Jul 29, 2019
I am downloading it ATM and I just wanted to know of any problems before I committed fully. So Minecraft does work with it and I heard it was faster for some games and general browsing

Sent from my ipotato

RamblinWreckGT

Jul 29, 2019
I *think* it's on by default, although you should check. Either way, though, it won't affect chunks that have already been generated; if you explore a new chunk, the bedrock will be flat, but all the places you have already explored will be annoying and bumpy.
You can set flat bedrock to retrogen in already created chunks too.