Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

felinoel

Jul 29, 2019
This doesn't sound too difficult to code, but I think it'd be hell for world generation. Also, I've never heard of the idea, so I doubt it exists right now. I don't claim to be the most well-informed, however.
Yes I imagine it to be very difficult for a server with many people... x.x

Maybe... start at X height, go down until you see anything other than air, replace all with water....

ShaxMC

Jul 29, 2019
I want to know the Best Tinkers' Construct Pickaxe, Hammer, and Weapon(Tell me what weapon you think is the best and tell me what to make it out of and what to add to it).
I have Thaumcraft and Metallurgy but im just beginning in them so please tell me me the above with/without Thaumcraft and Metallurgy!

Thank you :D

Sorry, i Do have Extra TiC, no Iguana Tweaks

Last edited:

jdog1408

Jul 29, 2019
I want to know the Best Tinkers' Construct Pickaxe, Hammer, and Weapon(Tell me what weapon you think is the best and tell me what to make it out of and what to add to it).
I have Thaumcraft and Metallurgy but im just beginning in them so please tell me me the above with/without Thaumcraft and Metallurgy!

Extra TiC? Iguana Tweaks?

rouge_bare

Oct 4, 2014

I'm sure I had another post somewhere describing my preferred tinker tool setups somewhere, but I cannot find it, so I guess I'll have to do it from memory again.

I know you said to avoid Thaumcraft stuff, but to be frank Thaumium is VERY early in Thaumcraft, and can also be found as Dungeon Loot, thus I'm including this (but not Void Metal) (on the latter I'm not that familier with how it functions in tools, same with metallurgy metals/alloys, thus I won't include these either, and these also assume you have ExtraTiC.) I should also point out this is at least partially down to personal opinion. Before I start though I'm going to put my opinion on Flux Modifier vs Mossy (self-repair).

Mossy/Flux:
Personally I find Mossy is better on tools you don't use consistantly, where the moss has a good chance to repair the damage before you use it again.

Pickaxe:
Many Head, Obsidian Binding, Slime or Many Rod. Adding Moss and Luck as modifiers.
I know some would disagree with me here, but personally when I'm using a pickaxe, I want Precision. Many is just the right speed for me when it comes to a pickaxe. I also don't really need many modifiers, hence no paper or thaumium parts.

Hammer:
Cobalt Head, Paper Plate, Paper Plate, Thaumium Tough Rod. Flux, Silk Touch and Redstone (plenty of) modifiers.
Whereas my Pickaxe I use for precision, My hammer is more often used when I'm smashing my way through terrain. Hence speed is execptionally good here. I do swap to my pick if I spot something I'd rather were fortuned than silk touched though. (Usually things like Project Red/BOP Gems or TC Infused Stone/Amber.) Moss would not keep up here, hence why I have Flux on this thing.

Weapon:
I personally perfer Botania's weponry to tinkers stuff, but if i do make tinker's weaponry I usually make a Cleaver (for head drops), Battleaxe, a Cutlass or a Rapier. Each has their own use, although I default to the Cutlass. I find since the nerf, ranged weaponry really needs alot more stuff to make it competitive. Battleaxe tends to hit nearly as hard as the Clever but since it doesn't induce mining fatigue hits faster. If I wanna hit hard, I actually go for it over the Cleaver.
Cutlass/Rapier/(Other t1 sword):
Many Blade, Paper Guard/Crossbar/ Thaumium Rod. Mossy, Luck and Quartz (plenty of).

Cleaver:
Many/Obby Blade (Former for manual, latter for automatic), Paper Plate, Thaumium Tough Rod (Handle), Paper Tough Rod (Guard).
I put Mossy, Luck and then as much beheading as possible if manually using, otherwise I make it unbreakable with obsidian plate modifiers, using any leftover modifiers for extra Beheading.

Battleaxe:
Many Axe heads, Paper Binding, Thaumium Tough Rod.
Same Modifiers as the Cutlas and Rapier (Mossy, Luck and Plenty of Quartz)
Another benefit of a battleaxe is it can double as a small tree/wood clearer.

In short, the Clever is best for hard hits and head drops, it can also block, although Battleaxe isn't far behind and doesn't give you mining fatigue (so it hits faster) it can also allow you to charge if right clicked (strength boost, speed boost, but also makes you a little hungry). Rapier bypasses most armor, but hits for the lowest, right clicking also makes you leap backwards a short way. Cutlass allows you to block and gives a passive crit strike chance, it also does need you to find a villager with the pattern though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Niidikene

ShaxMC

Jul 29, 2019
I'm sure I had another post somewhere describing my preferred tinker tool setups somewhere, but I cannot find it, so I guess I'll have to do it from memory again.

I know you said to avoid Thaumcraft stuff, but to be frank Thaumium is VERY early in Thaumcraft, and can also be found as Dungeon Loot, thus I'm including this (but not Void Metal) (on the latter I'm not that familier with how it functions in tools, same with metallurgy metals/alloys, thus I won't include these either, and these also assume you have ExtraTiC.) I should also point out this is at least partially down to personal opinion. Before I start though I'm going to put my opinion on Flux Modifier vs Mossy (self-repair).

Mossy/Flux:
Personally I find Mossy is better on tools you don't use consistantly, where the moss has a good chance to repair the damage before you use it again.

Pickaxe:
Many Head, Obsidian Binding, Slime or Many Rod. Adding Moss and Luck as modifiers.
I know some would disagree with me here, but personally when I'm using a pickaxe, I want Precision. Many is just the right speed for me when it comes to a pickaxe. I also don't really need many modifiers, hence no paper or thaumium parts.

Hammer:
Cobalt Head, Paper Plate, Paper Plate, Thaumium Tough Rod. Flux, Silk Touch and Redstone (plenty of) modifiers.
Whereas my Pickaxe I use for precision, My hammer is more often used when I'm smashing my way through terrain. Hence speed is execptionally good here. I do swap to my pick if I spot something I'd rather were fortuned than silk touched though. (Usually things like Project Red/BOP Gems or TC Infused Stone/Amber.) Moss would not keep up here, hence why I have Flux on this thing.

Weapon:
I personally perfer Botania's weponry to tinkers stuff, but if i do make tinker's weaponry I usually make a Cleaver (for head drops), Battleaxe, a Cutlass or a Rapier. Each has their own use, although I default to the Cutlass. I find since the nerf, ranged weaponry really needs alot more stuff to make it competitive. Battleaxe tends to hit nearly as hard as the Clever but since it doesn't induce mining fatigue hits faster. If I wanna hit hard, I actually go for it over the Cleaver.
Cutlass/Rapier/(Other t1 sword):
Many Blade, Paper Guard/Crossbar/ Thaumium Rod. Mossy, Luck and Quartz (plenty of).

Cleaver:
Many/Obby Blade (Former for manual, latter for automatic), Paper Plate, Thaumium Tough Rod (Handle), Paper Tough Rod (Guard).
I put Mossy, Luck and then as much beheading as possible if manually using, otherwise I make it unbreakable with obsidian plate modifiers, using any leftover modifiers for extra Beheading.

Battleaxe:
Many Axe heads, Paper Binding, Thaumium Tough Rod.
Same Modifiers as the Cutlas and Rapier (Mossy, Luck and Plenty of Quartz)
Another benefit of a battleaxe is it can double as a small tree/wood clearer.

In short, the Clever is best for hard hits and head drops, it can also block, although Battleaxe isn't far behind and doesn't give you mining fatigue (so it hits faster) it can also allow you to charge if right clicked (strength boost, speed boost, but also makes you a little hungry). Rapier bypasses most armor, but hits for the lowest, right clicking also makes you leap backwards a short way. Cutlass allows you to block and gives a passive crit strike chance, it also does need you to find a villager with the pattern though.

Thank you for your opinion :D
But i dont like your pickaxe, i like alot of speed and alot of modifiers.
I just made a pickaxe its Cobalt Head, Paper Binding, and Thaumium Rod, btw you're right about the Thaumcraft Ingots being very early, my brother has basicly just started thaumcraft and he could make some for me.

Btw, what do you mean by Former for Manual, latter for automatic?

Last edited:

rouge_bare

Oct 4, 2014
The one that is unbreakable goes in things like autominous activators, so I don't have to worry about having to take it out and repair it. Otherwise I go for the many one.

Each to their own. I don't like pickaxes that are too fast, cos I use them for precision, as mentioned, not speed. You cerntainly can stock it up wiht redstone and use a cobalt head with paper binding and thaumium rod if that floats your boat, but be aware this is more likely to start needing flux instead of mossy. I find speedy pickaxes tend to break 4 blocks instead of 1 sometimes.

Obsidia

Jul 29, 2019
Direwolf20 1.7.10 -- Were having a Server with friends and everyone has their own base. Im playing together with a friend in a void age and were pretty far into the modpack. But we dont want anybody to be able to do anything there. ( They already have a Teleport point into the world. ) Is there something like "Modular Force Field" in this modpack? - Or just anything that doenst allows them to move there / enter, or destroy/break/ interact with something?

rouge_bare

Oct 4, 2014
Asssuming you using the latest version (that has RFTools) you can use it's transportation system fairly securly if you set your base's teleport point to be private, and ensure you Dial Once whenever you dial it. At this point you just need to make sure noone sneaks into your tp beam while you dialing up.

Obsidia

Jul 29, 2019
Well, were all using Dragonic teleporter thingies. Not sure how they called. You can set the points where you can teleport to and teleport to them every time you want. And they already got a point there to teleport to. So im searching for something that stops them from being able to interact with anyhting or just something that wont let them move from there like the force fields mod.

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
Well, were all using Dragonic teleporter thingies. Not sure how they called. You can set the points where you can teleport to and teleport to them every time you want. And they already got a point there to teleport to. So im searching for something that stops them from being able to interact with anyhting or just something that wont let them move from there like the force fields mod.
RFTools also adds force fields. Check out DW20's spotlight or just look at whatever wiki you can find.

Reactions: Obsidia

rouge_bare

Oct 4, 2014
RFTools also adds force fields. Check out DW20's spotlight or just look at whatever wiki you can find.
It also has a block that protects nearby blocks from being destroyed. It takes a fair bit of power though.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
What is the default value of the Thaumcraft Taint spread config setting?
# The chance per block update (1 in n) of the Taint biome spreading. Setting it to 0 prevents the spread of Taint biomes.
I:biome_taint_spread=0
Want to experiment with enabling it, but don't know what range the value should be set in.

Ocker

Jul 29, 2019
What is the default value of the Thaumcraft Taint spread config setting?

Want to experiment with enabling it, but don't know what range the value should be set in.

Not something I know for sure but I would guess there are only 2 options -
1) is that 0 = no spread and 1 equals a random tick chance of spread. Similar to how game mode works with 0,1,2
2) is that 0 = no spread and any other number increases the chance per tick by that number. 2 being a higher chance than 1 - but what would be the highest value ????. If an option existed to give a 100% change of spread if would destroy a world fairly quickly.

I would be surprised if it was not just an on/off thing - but you could experiment and set it to I:biome_taint_spread=10 and see what happens - test world recommended.:D

ShaxMC

Jul 29, 2019
Ive been trying to find Charged Certus Quartz for a very long time...Any tips for finding it? Like what Y-level, or like what biome, whatever info u can give me will help!

Thank you

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
It can be found on the same levels of the regular certus quartz, and if I remember correctly, as per default configuration, the levels for finding them are around y 44 to y 75?

Also, you only need 2 of them. Make the Charger as soon as you have the two Charged Certus Quartz.

Evillevi

Jul 29, 2019
Ive been trying to find Charged Certus Quartz for a very long time...Any tips for finding it? Like what Y-level, or like what biome, whatever info u can give me will help!

Thank you
go spelunking or pop down an admittedly small ender quarry

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Not something I know for sure but I would guess there are only 2 options -
1) is that 0 = no spread and 1 equals a random tick chance of spread. Similar to how game mode works with 0,1,2
2) is that 0 = no spread and any other number increases the chance per tick by that number. 2 being a higher chance than 1 - but what would be the highest value ????. If an option existed to give a 100% change of spread if would destroy a world fairly quickly.

I would be surprised if it was not just an on/off thing - but you could experiment and set it to I:biome_taint_spread=10 and see what happens - test world recommended.:D

Not really. Zero disables it, while any other number gives you a chance of having taint spread. So putting five down means you have a one in five chance per block update (the important part) of spreading.

To give the best chance of taint spreading, one is better than one million. The per block update still makes it decently rare however.

@rhn I checked my configs earlier but it appears FTB sets it to zero in most if not all packs. @goreae did some tests with taint spread a while ago and it wasn't the fastest thing in the world. He had it set to one (the best value for maximum spread) and left the game running for several hours, somewhere in the range of 12-24 hours and only had a patch of taint increase its radius by about three or four blocks. Not exactly what you were looking for, but hopefully it helps you a little.

Reactions: rhn

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Anyone have a link to a guide or tutorial of managing mass storage with Storage Drawers and without AE2?

Ocker

Jul 29, 2019
Anyone have a link to a guide or tutorial of managing mass storage with Storage Drawers and without AE2?
I know it isn't exactly what you are after as it is not really a turorial and it does connect to an AE but if you look back through Pahimar's youtube he built a system - it was probably about episode 20, I can't narrow down further ATM, I watched the DW20 video and have been meaning to have a look at Pahimar's build so maybe I will do that tomorrow.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Pahimar/videos

Edit: he begins working on them in episode 23

Last edited:

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
@rhn I checked my configs earlier but it appears FTB sets it to zero in most if not all packs. @goreae did some tests with taint spread a while ago and it wasn't the fastest thing in the world. He had it set to one (the best value for maximum spread) and left the game running for several hours, somewhere in the range of 12-24 hours and only had a patch of taint increase its radius by about three or four blocks. Not exactly what you were looking for, but hopefully it helps you a little.
Yeah same. Could not actually find a pack where the configs were other than 0.
Had an idea where I would build a satellite base smack in the middle of a taint patch with it walled up and protected by Blossems etc. But the patch is not exactly large enough for that.
I will try setting it to 1 and just leaving it chunkloaded for ages and see how it goes.