Agrarian Skys help, venting, and discussion thread

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
[Snip] edit: unrelated question...what food(s) provide the longest saturation/greatest number meat pops restored anyway? Couldn't find any converging infos on the interwebs.

I personally quite like my fish sandwhiches (haven't been able to debug my lettuce farm to upgrade my food source yet)
Just some fish and bread and eggs, and it gives a 4 chicken stick hunger buster. One stack of these sandwhiches lasts me hours of endless fun

only $19.99 if you order now, and if you use credit card (so I can steal your details) we'll throw in a free fisher.

pjfranke

Jul 29, 2019
I've got 3 redstone furnaces all in a row, 2 make bread and one toast.....Only have the tops and the sides to import/export. So I'm trying to export dough to the two end furnaces and import toast from the middle, all through the tops. Exports are MAC network, import is storage. Black cable exports the dough through 2 precision export buses. White cable imports the toast through a basic import bus.

At least my stuff's sorted [grumble].

what food(s) provide the longest saturation/greatest number meat pops restored anyway?

I don't follow...you're making dough in your MAC, then exporting via the precision export busses (so it tells the MAC to craft, right?) into two redstone furnaces on their outside sides. Those are outputting via inside sides into a middle redstone furnace to make toast, pulled into ME via a basic import bus on top.

Why does this need a subnetwork? Are you trying to separate the functions, or did it seem to be necessary?

To answer the question though, I've sometimes needed to place an additional colored cable (sticking out into nowhere) to change the color of an import/export bus, then remove the unnecessary piece.

Second Q, you could install spice of life in information only mode. It'll tell you how much hunger and saturation a food item will restore. Or, just look at the names...if it sounds like a bigger meal, it's better for you. Feasts are best, nourishing meals are good, satisfying meals are good, snacks and morsels rather suck.

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019
As Direwolf20 showed on his single-player LP recently, you can right-click the bus with a colored cable to change its color. The cable will also be placed, but you can use a wrench to get it back if it's in the wrong position.

Never watched Direwolf20...but good to know, thanks!

I don't follow...you're making dough in your MAC, then exporting via the precision export busses (so it tells the MAC to craft, right?) into two redstone furnaces on their outside sides. Those are outputting via inside sides into a middle redstone furnace to make toast, pulled into ME via a basic import bus on top.

Why does this need a subnetwork? Are you trying to separate the functions, or did it seem to be necessary?

To answer the question though, I've sometimes needed to place an additional colored cable (sticking out into nowhere) to change the color of an import/export bus, then remove the unnecessary piece.

Second Q, you could install spice of life in information only mode. It'll tell you how much hunger and saturation a food item will restore. Or, just look at the names...if it sounds like a bigger meal, it's better for you. Feasts are best, nourishing meals are good, satisfying meals are good, snacks and morsels rather suck.

You've got it backwards...sort of. The three furnaces are doing 2 things. One makes bread for storage [until I get 1K bread]. The other 2 make toast [one furnace makes bread and feeds it directly to the other furnace]. The furnace inputs are both on top, as is the output for the middle furnace [no other faces left for output]. So buses from 2 networks are right next to each other [problem until I realized how to color them correctly].

I like to make the MAC a subnetwork so that the MAC's crafting space doesn't get used as a storage overflow. This way I can also export whatever's crafted back into the storage network...so in effect the MAC stores nothing, only crafts.

Thanks for the info about 'spice of life' mod!

I personally quite like my fish sandwhiches (haven't been able to debug my lettuce farm to upgrade my food source yet)
Just some fish and bread and eggs, and it gives a 4 chicken stick hunger buster. One stack of these sandwhiches lasts me hours of endless fun

only $19.99 if you order now, and if you use credit card (so I can steal your details) we'll throw in a free fisher.

Food isn't an issue [hasn't been since I got watering can and melon seeds]. My normal progression has been apples/cooked worms, then fruit salad, then bacon cheeseburger. I was just curious since NEI isn't too descriptive in this regard and I couldn't find anything online where people were saying similar things.

Good tip when starting out: get watering can and plant food right around trees. Use can to grow saplings and mature food at same time. Make small grass plot when able and use watering can or bonemeal [faster] for tall grass to get harvestcraft soybean seeds and vanilla MC potato. The 2 crops are all that's needed for Bacon Cheeseburger [no animals required]!

edit: the MAC will export crafted items only if you've configured the other network [storage] to store the crafted item. Just to clear up any confusion there.

Last edited:

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
I'm still on Carrot Juice, i'm also still in "mid-game".
And i don't plan to change the source

what's the appeal of carrot juice? i switched from carrot juice to baked potatoes, and been eating them until accidentally stumbled across fries which are even easier to make when you have sludge boiler running. such food raises few moral problems though...

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019
Anyone figured out a good way to automate crop fertilization that stretches fertilizer usage?

Bonemeal bag will fertilize a 3x3 area, but can only be used in autonomous activator [AA]. AA needs to be set on high aim [for crops] and blows through entire stacks, even if crops are fully mature.

MFR Fertilizer machine will do 3x3 and stops when crops are mature, but doesn't use bonemeal. And it uses up a fertilizer per plant.

Only other way I can think of is by hand.

All I can think of to solve the problem is using the AA with bags and controlling the timing with a PRC clock, but this seems like overkill. I'll have to look into the magical methods of increasing growth, I guess, unless anyone has a better idea?

edit: I already have sprinklers running over all my crops/trees for the random bonemeal effect. These can be filled up with bonemeal, but not the bags, and it also only effects a single tree/crop. For me, sprinklers are good in treefarms for the random bonemeal effect. In cropfarms, hydration is their primary use [not to mention looks].

Last edited:

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
since bonemelaing with AA will often lead to a waste of bonemeal so it's a no go when bonemeal is somewhat limited.

the other option if MFR ferilizer, which doesn't waste but requires either Fertilizer(forestry) or Industrial Fertilizer.
the thing is when you have this machine running, it becomes the main source of growth acceleration, so other methods are only do their job if you don't have fertilizer for machine.
so there isn't way to stretch it's usage, but to expand production.
Forestry's fertilizer is made with apatite and sand or ashes. so you should utilize apatite you get from sieving.
Ind. fertilizer come either from crafting with bonemeal wheat string and stick or from composting sewage, which comes from animals.

and there are lamps of Growth from TC4...

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
Anyone figured out a good way to automate crop fertilization that stretches fertilizer usage?

Bonemeal bag will fertilize a 3x3 area, but can only be used in autonomous activator [AA]. AA needs to be set on high aim [for crops] and blows through entire stacks, even if crops are fully mature.[Snip]
since bonemealing with AA will often lead to a waste of bonemeal so it's a no go when bonemeal is somewhat limited.[Snip]

Guys.. you just solved why I've been having a shortage of bonemeal... >.>

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
I had a large amount of Mariculture fishies (I've had about 10 nets chunkloaded for about .. well no idea how long but I do have a Big Reactor outputting 20k rf per tick to feed my 2 drills... and the nets have been set up since I made the sifter) and I wanted a way to turn them from living fishies into raw fishies so I could melt them down (have a full page of each species I'm doing this with in my fish tank) and I was not dropping them manually to kill them since I'm lazy. I could have used a simple dropper and vacuum hopper which would have worked but I remembered I have openblocks and an item cannon, soooo I now have fish flying across my base to kill them it's far funnier than it has any right to be.

Bickers

Jul 29, 2019
MFR Fertilizer machine will do 3x3 and stops when crops are mature, but doesn't use bonemeal. And it uses up a fertilizer per plant.
last time i checked almost all the things needed to make industrial fertilizer can be grown wheat and string can be both be grown sticks from a tree farm and 2 bone meal from a mob farm 2 bonemeal for 16 industrial fertilizer seems like a good deal to me the fertilizer accepts the same upgrades as the planter/harvester

Timm638

Jul 29, 2019
I have a little Wheat Setup.
It uses a Planter and a Harvester, both from MFR.
There is a AA bonemealing the Farm.
If Crops are mature, then it will be harvested.

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019
last time i checked almost all the things needed to make industrial fertilizer can be grown wheat and string can be both be grown sticks from a tree farm and 2 bone meal from a mob farm 2 bonemeal for 16 industrial fertilizer seems like a good deal to me the fertilizer accepts the same upgrades as the planter/harvester

Yeah, you're probably right. Thinking about this after I posted, I realized every method uses one fertilizer per plant. And MFR's block does seem to be the best way to stretch usage since it'll accept multiple types. My problem is my fields are 9x9 and I really don't want to switch them around to 3x3's, although this would allow the harvesters to keep up with the AAs a bit better.

I'm just gonna throw some MFR Fertilizer blocks down without upgrades and fill them by hand for now [cell power too]. I'm not setup yet to autocraft/autoexport fertilizer [sifting+treefarm stuff is consolidated in storage, cropfarm and mobfarm drops still separate].

Speaking of consolidation, what's a good way to get everything stored in one place while still keeping the various overflow mechanisms separate? Or best way to have access to everything from one place but keep storages separate? Subnetworked storage attached to quantum bridges off main storage?

Ex: sifter + treefarm drops go through an isolated tube network system [multiple networks] and end up in main storage. Interface has a duct pulling overflow into a condenser. Cropfarm has own storage and sends oveflow to dirtfarm. Anything unable to be composted or no more room [barrels full] gets sent to condenser. Mobfarm goes from barrels/cabinets to void right now. To get everything accessed from single location put a quantum bridge at each isolated storage and matching bridge at main storage?

Also, good way to stretch fertilizer on flour production is to stay away from wheat and potatos. Instead use either Oats, Rice or Rye. Wheat/potatos have 8 growth stages. Oats, Rice and Rye have only 2! Tested with a bag of bonemeal, I got 40 of Oats and Rye and 46 Rice.

pjfranke

Jul 29, 2019
You've got it backwards...sort of. The three furnaces are doing 2 things. One makes bread for storage [until I get 1K bread]. The other 2 make toast [one furnace makes bread and feeds it directly to the other furnace]. The furnace inputs are both on top, as is the output for the middle furnace [no other faces left for output]. So buses from 2 networks are right next to each other [problem until I realized how to color them correctly].

I like to make the MAC a subnetwork so that the MAC's crafting space doesn't get used as a storage overflow. This way I can also export whatever's crafted back into the storage network...so in effect the MAC stores nothing, only crafts.

Thanks for the info about 'spice of life' mod!

edit: the MAC will export crafted items only if you've configured the other network [storage] to store the crafted item. Just to clear up any confusion there.

NP, saw it on Season1 of PurpleMentat's LP, IIRC.

Ok, I understand better. One furnace is cooking away, one is making better food for you/recipies. Also, you're using different color networks, and now have figured out how to not be connecting to each other.

What do you mean by "the MAC's crafting space"? The MAC won't store anything except written patterns. Do you export items to a subnetwork for crafting, then craft them in your mac in the subnetwork (requiring twice the patterns for many things), then use impot busses/ME ints back into your storage network?

You say "in effect the MAC stores nothing"...well, the MAC doesn't store anything anyway. It crafts within the ME network, pulling from storage and returning to available storage (potentially different, eg: if pulling materials from a barrel).

I used a subnetwork, with a 2nd ME controller and storage busses, a magma crucible, and a fluid transposer, to automate: redstone energy cells/conduits, Tesseracts, and anything else I want to make a bucket of that needs melting first. One ME interface would dump the items into another, which would "store" them as appropriate into the two machines. Output would just pull via import busses into the primary network. Turns out I could do this with a chest and itemducts, as appropriate items would only go into the appropriate slots (or whitelists).

Not trying to criticize, just to understand the method behind the madness.

DaemosDaen

Jul 29, 2019
anyone know of a way to reliably spawn an angry zombie in the latest recommended version of AG. Please do not link the TC3 crucible page, it does not apply, I have tried over 10 stacks of bonemeal in the form of cauldron spill and only ended up with TC slimes.

Vaeliorin

Jul 29, 2019
Capture one in a safari net and autospawn it?

If you have a spawner room that you can turn off grinders or whatever you're using to kill mobs, it shouldn't be too hard to get one to spawn.

I had hundreds of zombie brains just from them naturally spawning. Granted, part of my dark room was in a magical forest so it would spawn wisps and pechs, and that may have caused more angry zombies to spawn, so try growing some silverwoods (or just set up a dark room in an already existing magical forest, perhaps.)

DaemosDaen

Jul 29, 2019
I have a VERY dary room, in a magical forest created by silverwood trees with nodes, and floored with cursed earth and none have spawned. we are using the multiplayer version of the map and can not seem to find any naturally occurring magical forests.

Edit: and we have killed plenty of Pechs

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019
NP, saw it on Season1 of PurpleMentat's LP, IIRC.
Snip...
What do you mean by "the MAC's crafting space"? The MAC won't store anything except written patterns. Do you export items to a subnetwork for crafting, then craft them in your mac in the subnetwork (requiring twice the patterns for many things), then use impot busses/ME ints back into your storage network?

You say "in effect the MAC stores nothing"...well, the MAC doesn't store anything anyway. It crafts within the ME network, pulling from storage and returning to available storage (potentially different, eg: if pulling materials from a barrel).

My first experience with AE's version of storage and autocrafting was in a 1.4.7 or 1.5 FTB pack. In that playthrough, I had a single AE network for storage and crafting. The big problem I ran into is input into the network would overrun all storage space and then the MAC would be unable to craft [the MAC needs some free storage space to do it's thing]. I didn't separate them then [to vast of a retrofit] but that's the main reason why I separate them now.

However, a MAC with no directly-attached storage will not function [unless using 3rd-party crafting recipes ex: fluid transposer filling tesseract frames]. I don't think you can even build an AE netowrk without some storage on the network [I may be wrong here - no expert]. So what I stumbled across during my 1.5 experience was a way to subnetwork where the sub has access [can see item stock and pull automagically from] to the parent network, but the parent network doesn't see the sub as more storage space. This type of subnetworking is done by having a storage bus on the subnetwork read/attach to an Interface on the main network. Now you can craft on the sub with any items stored by the parent.

Now, the subnetwork has its crafting space [ex: ME Chest with 1K disk]. You'd think any items crafted via the MAC patterns would be stored here, right? I did and I was wrong...sorta. I'm working my way through the food hoarding quests and I'd already turned in the Hearty Breakfasts, so I don't need melons anymore [for food quests anyway]. So I asked the MAC to make me some vinegar. Came back to check and found no vinegar stored in the MAC's crafting space. It was auto-exporting the vinegar into the parent network's storage [because I had preformatted a disk for the 10K vinegar]. This surprised me because I thought 'being a subnetwork' meant the sub couldn't automatically insert into the parent's storage space [without using an AE export bus/feature]. And sure enough, although Leafy Fish Sandwiches are being stored on a parent drive, the components of the meal are being stored locally on the subnetwork. This is what I meant by 'in effect the MAC stores nothing'.

I didn't know about this AE behaviour before and I try to share the stuff I learn. Thanks for the interest in my method [or was it my madness]?

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019
Just noticed something. Went to Nether to net Blaze and Wither Skelly. Netted Wither Skelly shows as Skeleton and same in Walia on live mob. Are these banned from nets? I know I have to use 'exact copy' to get a Wither Skelly in AutoSpawner, but if net says Skeleton and AutoSpawner is in Overworld, exact copy would produce...?

edit: readup and see that my 256,000 mb drum of Witch Water will come in handy for finding Wither Skellys in Overworld ...

Last edited:

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019
Why oh why must everything require AE to work correctly?

Problem with Adv Filing Cabinet and TE tube filters. Pulling armors out of a filing cabinet and sending them through an auto-anvil to get repaired. Tubes filter out fully-repaired only for separate storage [ignore oredict, use NBT + meta]. Damaged get cycled back to filing cabinet.

If I have a chest accepting the undamaged items, the filter works. If I swap out the chest for an Adv Filing Cabinet, filter breaks and fully-repaired items end up back in the original filing cabinet. If I instead use a normal filing cabinet, filter works properly [determined filter only requires use meta].

I had planned to use the Adv Filing Cab as a buffer between the anvils and the smeltry Since Iron / Gold/ Steel don't alloy with each other, I was going to be pulling items for meltdown from a single source. I'll work on a fix but has anyone else seen this or 'working as intended'?

edit: I checked XU's forum. One unanswered post almost 10 months ago regarding this problem and this is the final? version for 1.6. I'm curious how other people are using this cabinet then?

edit: Noticed that my basic Cab holds well more than 270 items. Also tried transferring items from basic Cab to Adv Cab. Items getting eaten. Gonna look at config?

Last edited: