Agrarian Skys help, venting, and discussion thread

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Zeeth_Kyrah

Jul 29, 2019
Well, since I'd rather be building than researching, I just moved [am in the process of] my mushroom farm, crucible lava gen, and sludge processing, to the nether...when I noticed something. My spawn chunks are unloading? I didn't think that was possible. I looked into this about a month ago and there doesn't seem to be any real definitive information other than spawn chunks exist. Anyone have any info on this or is it something specific to AgS?

BTW only reason I knew is I cannibalized my chunkloader for a couple spot loaders and then had issues when I wasn't getting any water through my Tesseracts in the Nether. Dropped a spot loader at my Overworld water works and problem solved. Supposedly spawn chunks are 12x12 or 13x13 around spawn. My Overworld build is wholly contained within this area.
As far as I know, the reason spawn chunks stay loaded on a server is because it's a high-traffic area. Players keep coming to the spawn area for various reasons, and when they enter the chunks load up. In order to reduce the amount of time spend loading and unloading those chunks, some servers are designed to delay or prevent chunk unloading in that area in case someone else comes along in the meantime.

But in single player, even the world spawn chunks will unload if you aren't there to keep them loaded.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Ha, but no -- single player, spawn chunks stay loaded.

This does NOT mean that they get random ticks / get updates.
Redstone in that area will update, if I remember correctly.

Translation: Stick a large, complex redstone system with command blocks inside a bedrock wall, and play a SethBling in-game modpack :).

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019
Isn't that how it's suppose to work? I only just made one for the first time so here I was thinking it was normal.

MAC isn't supposed to forget how to craft something you make a pattern for. I know there's a bug in AE 1.5/1.6 [that's never being fixed] where the MAC will randomly stop crafting. I dunno if this is that bug or related to that bug. I've used MAC in 1.5 and it wasn't this forgetful then.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
MAC isn't supposed to forget how to craft something you make a pattern for. I know there's a bug in AE 1.5/1.6 [that's never being fixed] where the MAC will randomly stop crafting. I dunno if this is that bug or related to that bug. I've used MAC in 1.5 and it wasn't this forgetful then.

I'm going to ask if your whole AE system is chunk loaded? My AE system was fine until I started building out of range of having all the chunks loaded around me. Then I started getting derpy glitches. It went back to working fine again after I added a chunk loader.

Racemol

Jul 29, 2019
Admittedly, I know almost zero about what either 'spawn' or 'spawn chunks' means. Having said that, isn't 'spawn' where you um...appear when you first enter the game/and or die. Beds set spawn. So you should be able to move the spawn area, and the spawn chunks that coincide with it. That's what I'm able to speculate with my limited knowledge set.

I too assume that we've been moved from initial spawn, given that my original spawn coords were somewhere around -1000, 1500 whereas most other maps have spawned me relatively closer to 0,0.

I dunno. Chunkloader's ploped down again so one less thing to worry about.
As far as I understand it, you can never move the spawn chunks. You can move your re-spawn (sleeping in a bed etc) but that does not mean those become the spawn chunks. That never worked that way as far as I know.

Chunkloaders are a good solution, instead of guessing you now know the chunks are loaded :)

Lordlundar

Jul 29, 2019
Admittedly, I know almost zero about what either 'spawn' or 'spawn chunks' means. Having said that, isn't 'spawn' where you um...appear when you first enter the game/and or die. Beds set spawn. So you should be able to move the spawn area, and the spawn chunks that coincide with it. That's what I'm able to speculate with my limited knowledge set.

I too assume that we've been moved from initial spawn, given that my original spawn coords were somewhere around -1000, 1500 whereas most other maps have spawned me relatively closer to 0,0.

I dunno. Chunkloader's ploped down again so one less thing to worry about.

You're part right. The spawn chunk is where you originally appear first in that particular world (the overworld, nether, end, and any alternates made by mods like mystcraft each have a spawn chunk). These can be moved by the server admin but it's not a simple process. A spawn point originally matches your spawn chunk but can be changed by a bed. However if the bed is destroyed and you die then your spawn point is reset to the original spawn chunk.

Wizard1978

Jul 29, 2019
I have looked high and low for the answer to this question. I am sure the answer is out there I just cant seem to find it. On the hidden quest in Bragging Rights titled "Tinkerer" you are required to craft Cracked Seared Stone, in which there is no provided recipe in NEI. I found on the bug reporting forum (page 112) a reference to using particles to get it to work but have been unable to accomplish this. Please for the love of god and all that is holy help me figure this one out. Ty in advance. :)

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
I think you can put seared bricks in A pulverize to get the cracked version. This supposedly works for some blocks. Not entirely sure for the seared stone though.

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019
Chunkloaded [set to something ridiculous like radius 9].
I think you can put seared bricks in A pulverize to get the cracked version. This supposedly works for some blocks. Not entirely sure for the seared stone though.
This does not work for the Seared Bricks [1474:2] crafted from Seared Brick [14276:2}. Nor does it work if you hammer Seared bricks. It may be a trick of making slabs with the chisel and then crafting the slabs into a different solid block [like sandstone slabs].

I came to ask a question and spent 15 mins trying to figure the above out. Transfer Nodes are disabled? So what are our choices for a low-lag cobble gen system. Igneous Extruders are no good if too many. Block Breakers / Terrain Smashers? It can't be sifting dirt for stones and then assembling.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
I came to ask a question and spent 15 mins trying to figure the above out. Transfer Nodes are disabled? So what are our choices for a low-lag cobble gen system. Igneous Extruders are no good if too many. Block Breakers / Terrain Smashers? It can't be sifting dirt for stones and then assembling.

Igneous extruder or terrain smasher with a vanilla cobble gen seem to be the only methods. An AE transition plane may also work with a vanilla cobble gen. MFR also has a block breaker. But nothing low lag AND fast exists as far as I know. Start your octuple compressed cobblestone quest line early... :(

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
book says it's possible to play without visiting nether(i know it lies), but how does one get netherrak and titanium without a visit to nether? it seems NEI doesn't have recipes for those two.

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019
book says it's possible to play without visiting nether(i know it lies), but how does one get netherrak and titanium without a visit to nether? it seems NEI doesn't have recipes for those two.

Netherrack can be made by throwing redstone into a lava-filled stone barrel. I dunno about Titanium.

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019
You can get netherrack from a barrel of lava + redstone or a Sludge Boiler. Titanium can be generated by bees.

CaseyRobinson

Jul 29, 2019
Netherrak is from using a redstone on a stone barrel with lava, or sludge boiling, or pulverizing nether ores generated by a laser drill. Maybe other ways, but that's all I can think of.

I haven't tried titanium yet, but I'm going to guess laser drill again. And there it something you can do with, uh, limestone maybe? to get the natural gas.

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019
Igneous extruder or terrain smasher with a vanilla cobble gen seem to be the only methods. An AE transition plane may also work with a vanilla cobble gen. MFR also has a block breaker. But nothing low lag AND fast exists as far as I know. Start your octuple compressed cobblestone quest line early... :(

AE would work similar to a transfer node, but it'd be much slow and not lag free [the block would actually be broken unlike transfer node's simulation] Bummer. After rebuilding all the other lag-inducing stuff in the Nether, I'm not too eager to go back and setup hundreds in Igneous Extruders.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
AE would work similar to a transfer node, but it'd be much slow and not lag free [the block would actually be broken unlike transfer node's simulation] Bummer. After rebuilding all the other lag-inducing stuff in the Nether, I'm not too eager to go back and setup hundreds in Igneous Extruders.

I know what you mean. I had to load optifine to keep my base fluid enough for play. :( I've had about 50 extruders running a cyclic assembler chain making my octuple cobblestone. It's been running for quite a while. I am up to 2 septuple compressed right now. I added an additional 8 machines to the mix to speed it up a bit further as I had the room. It's still going to take a few more weeks to complete though. But as I'm not speeding through the map and am taking the time to build, it should finish up as I complete the last quests.[DOUBLEPOST=1405626411][/DOUBLEPOST]

You need to look at mariculture for the titanium. Everything you need should be in the in-game mariculture books.

jokermatt999

Jul 29, 2019
Netherrak is from using a redstone on a stone barrel with lava, or sludge boiling, or pulverizing nether ores generated by a laser drill. Maybe other ways, but that's all I can think of.

I haven't tried titanium yet, but I'm going to guess laser drill again. And there it something you can do with, uh, limestone maybe? to get the natural gas.

From the Aliquo topic:
Ex Nihilo Crucible melting
Melting down Limestone may result in Natural Gas

Also, there's a lot that isn't in the in game books, Quest book, or NEI. The in game Mariculture book just says rutile generates near Limestone. Doesn't really help without worldgen. It's supposed to show up in the sieve list for limestone, but that's also broken at the moment. You can definitely get it from the laser drills though. I've got a bunch running through a vat via AE and ExtraCells actually. I just found out about the Natural Gas thing though, so I haven't tested that yet.

I really wish there was a good questline for Mariculture in the book though. That, and proper NEI support for the crucible, since the obsidian, netherrack, slime ball, and apparently natural gas recipes are all something you have to find out online or in the quest book.

Stronp

Jul 29, 2019
For titanium I went right ahead to alloy smeltery. You only need rutile and magnesium, and not much of each for the 1 block of titanium quest (5 rutile ore 9 magnesium dust iirc).

You can get the rutile from the laser I believe, not terribly uncommon drop. As for the magnesium I got it from rewards bag, but you can make it in the crucible from mariculture (limestone and water I think).

It's all in NEI tough so take a look at it.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
Also, forestry ethanol can be used in place of natural gas with mariculture. This was added in specifically for AgS and other skyblock type maps.

Reactions: jokermatt999