Agrarian Skys help, venting, and discussion thread

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Apophenia

Jul 29, 2019
Can you tell me what flowers oblivion and infernal bees need? I tried end stone and nether rack and ender lilies.

Netherwart is the Nether flower and the Dragon Egg is the End flower. (I used Gendustry to make bees that required Dragon Egg to require something else)

shdwDragon

Jul 29, 2019
Can you tell me what flowers oblivion and infernal bees need? I tried end stone and nether rack and ender lilies.
If I remember correctly. Can check when I get home if I'm wrong.

Infernal = Netherwart
Oblivion = Dragon Egg

Mr_Turing

Jul 29, 2019
A big tip for Bee users is Endenic Bees, they have the Explorer effect that gives random XP ticks, currently all my producer bees have it and holy crap... so much xp!

shdwDragon

Jul 29, 2019
A big tip for Bee users is Endenic Bees, they have the Explorer effect that gives random XP ticks, currently all my producer bees have it and holy crap... so much xp!
Yep. I'm trying to get that to splice into all my other bees :) Currently I just switch them to None since its easy LOL

Edit: Although I don't really need more XP, have a TON of mob essense AND liquid XP. its more of just the fun of a goal :) and XP never hurt anyone!

steelblueskies

Jul 29, 2019
so, here's a question i still don't know the answer to from the ex nihilo, ex aliquo, main agskies thread, or here. i have seen one individual claim steadfast bees, required in the breeding line to heroic(steadfast+valiant), are available via villager trading. every wiki claims dungeon loot only, and the nihilo/aliquo inquiries all asked for a way to get them, discussed then petered out to nothing. i know what they can do for me in a few exotic grinder setups through my test agskies world, but i seem to be doing it wrong when it comes to actually acquiring them. i also know through another test world and perusing the total completion reward for the questbook(which grants chests containing all possible rewards) that they aren't in the questbook random loot table.

ideas? thoughts? shut up steel and just farm villagers more?

Yomammabe1

Jul 29, 2019
so, here's a question i still don't know the answer to from the ex nihilo, ex aliquo, main agskies thread, or here. i have seen one individual claim steadfast bees, required in the breeding line to heroic(steadfast+valiant), are available via villager trading. every wiki claims dungeon loot only, and the nihilo/aliquo inquiries all asked for a way to get them, discussed then petered out to nothing. i know what they can do for me in a few exotic grinder setups through my test agskies world, but i seem to be doing it wrong when it comes to actually acquiring them. i also know through another test world and perusing the total completion reward for the questbook(which grants chests containing all possible rewards) that they aren't in the questbook random loot table.

Gendustry provides machines that will bypass random chance on mutations, allowing you to just skip to the breed you need. I don't know much about it, (Bees are just annoying to work with in my opinion.) but there's a quest talking about it in the bees and trees section.

steelblueskies

Jul 29, 2019
Gendustry provides machines that will bypass random chance on mutations, allowing you to just skip to the breed you need. I don't know much about it, (Bees are just annoying to work with in my opinion.) but there's a quest talking about it in the bees and trees section.
steadfast is a root species. talking about a root species not a mutation, rendering the mutatron/advanced mutatron useless. there is no listed* mutation to acquire them. [* nei doesn't list everything, but it does cover mutation trees for bees, and this is one of the fullstops, like monastic and valorous. for all i know i can crook a charged creeper and acquire them or something equally obscure and undocumented. that or i am missing something so glaringly obvious it is gonna hurt]

valorous is both a reward, and a random chance from any basic hive, so even short of the reward you could eventually get them from any scented hive conversion as extra bee loot in the appropriate biomes, eventually. it is the steadfast which are by default only available as dungeon chest loot, and which are the other species needed for heroic alongside valorous which present the problem.

zerokyuunis last comment on the matter was that he was looking to come up with a way to get them in the aliquo thread, after crowley and he both discussed a bit(they have no natural in world hive because :dungeon loot only by default and noone wanted to add a new hive to enable a conversion via scented hives) then half a hundred pages transpire and no word ever after.

i have considered nether fortress chests, but it is my understanding that they loot populate differently and thus are invalid for finding them. this could be erroneous, but is the best i have to go on until contrary evidence presents itself.

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019

To answer your question, I have not not seen a steadfast bee, from villagers or otherwise.
Out of curiosity, is there a reason to breed to Heroic heroic that I'm not aware of? It appears to be a terminus line that produces cocoa beans =/ Is there a quest coming up that requires them (I'm only 1/2 way through the bees/trees line)?

MrCervelo

Jul 29, 2019
okay just deleted a boatload of answer, let us try this. the point was people keep skipping to the end and shooting themselves in the foot and would do so again because basically, they didn't "read the fine questbook" to strain a phrase. i cannot blame them as the quest line used to be different int eh 1.x.x line of agskies, so here we go.

to wit, even if pech spawning failed.

this page in the questbook
TpWEaYH.png

the quest that branches into 5 parts
4Sl5v9Z.png

which unlocks the one to the right which gives greatwood
KtAdpBX.png

which can then immediately be used in the one to the left
ub8jR1w.png

for silverwood and the greatwood back
with the alchemy machines and pipes needing vis filters which instead of silverwood can be made by unlocking this recipe
jh7xQVO.png

as opposed to jumping the gun and trying for this
5kmkyU0.png

instead of using the unlocked recipe for
cQd2MYg.png

BCF6fnN.png

and then finally being able to make
IYYPgI8.png

which will still require the alchemical goods to be made to use in order to perform the infusions, of which the silverwood sapling infusion requires said node in a jar.
would still have gotten them the saplings BEFORE needing infusion. also, very very slowly, mana beans from dirt sieving for salis mundus is doable, while shard hammering is very basic as well.

everything needed to that point in the qb chain is entirely doable with iron capped wood wands, albeit refilling many many times over. list: thaumonomicon and sacrificial orb, 1 of each shard, a table, a focus pouch and a gold wand cap. ditto for the tubes and alchemical hardware, which in turn means a 50 vis wand with gold caps is entirely doable circumventing the full wand robes and other hijinks entirely and laying a clean pathway to infusing the wood from the silverwood you have, not the one in the proverbial bush :p. also amazing how many people think the silverwood sapling infusion is a warded jar not a node in a jar.

so question: useful?

edit 4: oh and the jarring process needs 70 of multiple types my error there. i'll be honest, i generally don't bother with the other varieties and yes they do store 75 while generally being doable with an wooden wands worth of vis to craft, at least with gold caps. the problem you see, is that to craft the alternate wand cores, you *would* need infusion.

I don't think that this idea works.

The reason being that the alchemical construct requires greatwood planks to be able to be constructed, so you need Greatwood before you can progress to a quest that gives you a Greatwood sapling as a reward.

I still think that pech trading is the best bet. Shiny ingot have lucrum on them, so they can be traded.

Erasmus Crowley

Jul 29, 2019
steadfast is a root species. talking about a root species not a mutation, rendering the mutatron/advanced mutatron useless. there is no listed* mutation to acquire them. [* nei doesn't list everything, but it does cover mutation trees for bees, and this is one of the fullstops, like monastic and valorous. for all i know i can crook a charged creeper and acquire them or something equally obscure and undocumented. that or i am missing something so glaringly obvious it is gonna hurt]

valorous is both a reward, and a random chance from any basic hive, so even short of the reward you could eventually get them from any scented hive conversion as extra bee loot in the appropriate biomes, eventually. it is the steadfast which are by default only available as dungeon chest loot, and which are the other species needed for heroic alongside valorous which present the problem.

zerokyuunis last comment on the matter was that he was looking to come up with a way to get them in the aliquo thread, after crowley and he both discussed a bit(they have no natural in world hive because :dungeon loot only by default and noone wanted to add a new hive to enable a conversion via scented hives) then half a hundred pages transpire and no word ever after.

i have considered nether fortress chests, but it is my understanding that they loot populate differently and thus are invalid for finding them. this could be erroneous, but is the best i have to go on until contrary evidence presents itself.

I can confirm that to the best of my knowledge, there is no way to gain Steadfast bees in Agrarian Skies. I did consider adding a new hive just for them, but eventually decided not to. The last time I researched it, the only mutation I could find that required steadfast bees are heroic, and the mutation line stops there. Heroic bees are nice to have, but their regen effect can be found on other bees like the Jaded bees. Correct me if I'm wrong. Basically, I decided that it just wouldn't be worth the effort. The ideal place to get them for now would probably be as a quest reward in the Bees and Trees chapter.

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
To answer your question, I have not not seen a steadfast bee, from villagers or otherwise.
Out of curiosity, is there a reason to breed to Heroic heroic that I'm not aware of? It appears to be a terminus line that produces cocoa beans =/ Is there a quest coming up that requires them (I'm only 1/2 way through the bees/trees line)?
cocoa can be gotten from sifting dirt and then farmed

steelblueskies

Jul 29, 2019
I can confirm that to the best of my knowledge, there is no way to gain Steadfast bees in Agrarian Skies. I did consider adding a new hive just for them, but eventually decided not to. The last time I researched it, the only mutation I could find that required steadfast bees are heroic, and the mutation line stops there. Heroic bees are nice to have, but their regen effect can be found on other bees like the Jaded bees. Correct me if I'm wrong. Basically, I decided that it just wouldn't be worth the effort. The ideal place to get them for now would probably be as a quest reward in the Bees and Trees chapter.
ah well thank you for saving me further futile hunting. as to heroic bees, the effect is heroic. damages nearby mobs, doesn't damage players, unlike aggressive or ends, which damage all or players. only source of heroic effect.

agree it isn't a requirement, as noted was mainly working at it for grinder hijinks and an alternative way to safe an area vs grinders, lights, slabs, guard golems, wells of suffering, interdiction rituals, etc. :p

it is kind of funny given i have leporine(making eggs) jaded and all the other exclusive or seasonal species but these are out >.< the inner completionist is having a sad.(and also thank a bug with ignoring metadata vs bee hand ins being impossible due to generations data, or that'd have made jadeds first attempt at a bee completionists quest on stream impossible to complete).
hugs erasmus anyway.

Last edited:

Erasmus Crowley

Jul 29, 2019
as to heroic bees, the effect is heroic. damages nearby mobs, doesn't damage players, unlike aggressive or ends, which damage all or players. only source of heroic effect.

My mistake. You're right. Still, you should poke @Jadedcat in the official thread and see if she would consider adding them as a quest reward. They are a unique and desirable item that doesn't mess with progression in any mods. They seem ideal to me.

If you read this out of context Jaded, I mean the steadfast bees, not the heroic. :p

Reactions: steelblueskies

Jin

Jul 29, 2019
Ok guys, I'm going insane, I love bees so much now with gendustry o.o
Cute!
2014-05-07_01.36.43.png

Nice, might be worth adding to my bees, have gone with NONE for now.

Last edited:

TaintedHorizon

Jul 29, 2019
Question, I have 2 teak trees and 2 silver lime trees and about 12 high pollination bee sets in addition to 2 industrial apiaries with sieve upgrades. Should i not be getting either cross breeding on the trees for balsa, or some sort of pollen from those 2 tree types (I need silver lime pollen for the mutator)? I also had just silver limes trying to get silver lime pollen but no luck. Am I going about this incorrectly? this is 2.1.2 and im trying to get blue mahoe saplings.
C1xtgak.png

Mewt

Jul 29, 2019
I don't think the node rewards will generate a hungry node when placed. I tested placing over 1000 of them and not once did I get a hungry node. So either they have to be spawned in with a special command or the odds are really really low of getting one.

I can confirm that they will indeed generate a hungry node.
The one that I had ate 3 blocks before I realised what was going on, (oh weird, where did that cobblestone get to?? .... oh crap, oh crap oh crap!!).
Lost another couple blocks before I managed to break it. It was quite small, so I wasn't being thrown around or anything.

As for placing obsidian, you can just equal-trade it for sand or something then gather that up quickly.

MrCervelo

Jul 29, 2019
Does anyone else find the generosity of lives a bit ridiculous? I've still got about 10-15 quests to go, and I've got something like 70 lives. If you're careful you tend not to die much.

Right now, I'm not particularly worried about dying unless it's into the void as I would lose everything I'm carrying. Even then, considering how many resources I have, that's not too big a deal.

Personally, I'd prefer for the giving of lives to be cut back a quite a bit so that any death at any point in the game is a possibility of failure. I'm aware that others may disagree. I know that I can potentially play the game by not consuming hearts and keep my available lives low, but unless I void the hearts that I get, it's still not a challenge.

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
Does anyone else find the generosity of lives a bit ridiculous? I've still got about 10-15 quests to go, and I've got something like 70 lives. If you're careful you tend not to die much.

Right now, I'm not particularly worried about dying unless it's into the void as I would lose everything I'm carrying. Even then, considering how many resources I have, that's not too big a deal.

Personally, I'd prefer for the giving of lives to be cut back a quite a bit so that any death at any point in the game is a possibility of failure. I'm aware that others may disagree. I know that I can potentially play the game by not consuming hearts and keep my available lives low, but unless I void the hearts that I get, it's still not a challenge.

I gave up guessing how many lives people would use when I watched someone lose 40 in 5 mins. You can change the config setting to Max lives = 20 or something.

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019

82 lives here =) Giving a few out early and then slowing down/stopping would probably make good sense. Perhaps unlock it as a super expensive crafting recipe? Regardless, once you get a jetpack, and pay attention to lighting, it becomes difficult to die.

Edit:
I gave up guessing how many lives people would use when I watched someone lose 40 in 5 mins. You can change the config setting to Max lives = 20 or something.
Oh wow. Don't suppose you'd care to share that story?