Agrarian Skys help, venting, and discussion thread

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Yomammabe1

Jul 29, 2019
Those with issues on research values, Start working towards... well, it's called a deconstruction table I think. If you've got mob heads, they're gold mines of base aspects.

Especially Zombie and Creeper Heads.

If you're needing Ordo specifically, Start feeding it lead. It's a... 1 in 5 or so of the possible actual aspect values, but it's more common than with mob heads.[DOUBLEPOST=1399521057][/DOUBLEPOST]
So...I'm all set up to make myself some bound armor, but I'm not sure which sigils/whatnot to put in it. Normally I'd do Sanguine Helmet, Haste, Magnetism and an Air Sigil, but Haste and Magnetism seem kind of silly in AS (Magnetism mostly because it would mess with sieving operations) and since I'm not going to be node-hunting (I have 24 nodes from quest rewards), the sanguine helmet seems semi-pointless full time. I was thinking Green Grove would be useful, as would Phantom Bridge, but I tried Phantom Bridge in Bound Amor previously and it was incredibly annoying (mostly because the spawned blocks weren't despawning and I was leaving a huge trail behind me.) I was thinking just setting it up for nether exploring (Lava Sigil, Air Sigil, Haste, Magnetism, probably) but I'm not sure I'll ever even go to the nether.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Just go with... oh what's it called. There's one that mixes water, lava, and air. Takes up less space. Also, keep a sigil of void handy if you ever do visit the nether. I find it quite fun to set up under-lava bases in there once I've cleared out a pocket of lava. Don't forget a watering can to help that flow lava despawn.

Vaeliorin

Jul 29, 2019
Those with issues on research values, Start working towards... well, it's called a deconstruction table I think. If you've got mob heads, they're gold mines of base aspects.

If you're needing Ordo specifically, Start feeding it lead. It's a... 1 in 5 or so of the possible actual aspect values, but it's more common than with mob heads.
Crafting tables (for everything except ignis.) Each one gives you an aspect, they just never give ignis (as far as I'm aware.)

Just go with... oh what's it called. There's one that mixes water, lava, and air. Takes up less space. Also, keep a sigil of void handy if you ever do visit the nether. I find it quite fun to set up under-lava bases in there once I've cleared out a pocket of lava. Don't forget a watering can to help that flow lava despawn.
The Sigil of Elemental Affinity (at least last time I tried) couldn't be put in Bound Armor. It gives Fire Resistance, Fall Immunity and Water Breathing, which you get from lava/air/water sigils respectively. I could easily just carry a Sigil of Elemental Affinity with me, and go with Sanguine Helmet/Green Grove/Haste/Magnetism, which is probably what I'll do, now that I think about it, unless someone has a better suggestion.

Yomammabe1

Jul 29, 2019
Crafting tables (for everything except ignis.) Each one gives you an aspect, they just never give ignis (as far as I'm aware.)

The Sigil of Elemental Affinity (at least last time I tried) couldn't be put in Bound Armor. It gives Fire Resistance, Fall Immunity and Water Breathing, which you get from lava/air/water sigils respectively. I could easily just carry a Sigil of Elemental Affinity with me, and go with Sanguine Helmet/Green Grove/Haste/Magnetism, which is probably what I'll do, now that I think about it, unless someone has a better suggestion.

Aspect wise, I tend to luck out. Since most of my power gen comes from lava, I have plenty of ignis aspects. Mob heads are so complex, especially Creepers, that they give every base aspect.

As for bound armor, I'll have to admit I'm woefully under developed in Blood Magic. My forte was Thaumcraft 2.0. Much as I distaste the some of the newer changes, particularly the research system, even simplified as it is in AgS, it's still my main fiddle. Nothing like Nitor and Alumentum to keep you warm at night. And changing all metals into iron is incredibly useful for me. Now if only my sieving efforts produced less Emeralds and at least 2 more diamonds so I can finish automating my ore production.

Pray tell, how do you plan to implement those nodes?

PurpleMentat

Jul 29, 2019

Sanguine Helmet is a 'freeby.' You can combine it with a sigil. Tack on Void, for AS, just in case. Air is another good option, so you can use an alternate Air sigil at will without running your particle-effect-laden Sigil of Elemental Affinity at all times.

steelblueskies

Jul 29, 2019

If you're needing Ordo specifically, Start feeding it lead. It's a... 1 in 5 or so of the possible actual aspect values, but it's more common than with mob heads.[DOUBLEPOST=1399521057][/DOUBLEPOST]

Beginner's Guide to Blood Magic purplementat did a small chart in this post on the sigils to bound armor= effect/or doesn't work. also very useful thread for blood magic stuff. oh as i type he appears :p

Yomammabe1

Jul 29, 2019
Pleasant dreams, Purple Mentat. I must say I'm still referencing the hard copy I made of that guide constantly as I'm not yet used to using Blood to the degree I am with Thaum. Thanks for putting it together.

Reactions: PurpleMentat

Vaeliorin

Jul 29, 2019
Pray tell, how do you plan to implement those nodes?
Not sure yet. I'll probably lay them out such that I can move them later if I absolutely have to. I'm worried about getting a hungry node, though, so I may build an obsidian box around each when I first lay it down (though I'll admit, the thought of having to break all that obsidian makes me think I won't bother and just pray for good luck, or that I can break them before they cause too much damage.)
Beginner's Guide to Blood Magic purplementat did a small chart in this post on the sigils to bound armor= effect/or doesn't work. also very useful thread for blood magic stuff. oh as i type he appears :p
Awesome. I've been looking for something like that, but I couldn't seem to find one (or my Google-fu is just weak.)

Last edited:

Yomammabe1

Jul 29, 2019
Not sure yet. I'll probably lay them out such that I can move them later if I absolutely have to. I'm worried about getting a hungry node, though, so I may build an obsidian box around each when I first lay it down (though I'll admit, the thought of having to break all that obsidian makes me think I won't bother and just pray for good luck, or that I can break them before they cause too much damage.)

Awesome. I've been looking for something like that, but I couldn't seem to find one (or my Google-fu is just weak.)

Perhaps Arcane Stone for the Node holders? Or, if you get a hungry node, though I'm still not up to date with the changes on node, I believe you can break most nodes in survival nowadays. They drop... Wisp essence I think. Usually of the types most prevalent in the node.

Written by a tired, paint spattered woman, so I may not be entirely accurate at 1 in the morning. Gotta love painting rooms... yay...

Vaeliorin

Jul 29, 2019
Perhaps Arcane Stone for the Node holders? Or, if you get a hungry node, though I'm still not up to date with the changes on node, I believe you can break most nodes in survival nowadays. They drop... Wisp essence I think. Usually of the types most prevalent in the node.

Written by a tired, paint spattered woman, so I may not be entirely accurate at 1 in the morning. Gotta love painting rooms... yay...
You can break hungry nodes, I'm just worried about being able to do it before it eats something. I've only encountered two previously, one of which killed me (though I did eventually manage to break it...it just throws you around so much it's hard to keep it targeted, and even with a very fast pick, it took a long time to break) and one I managed to escape from.

As for aesthetics...I haven't been worrying about aesthetics, really. I'm never satisfied with what I build in a normal modpack, so I haven't even bothered to try in AS. I've got 2 massive rectangles of cobblestone slabs, one on top of the other so that I have somewhere to run wires (it's why I restarted on the flat platform...I would have felt guilty destroying the Home Sweet Home island to turn it into something I considered servicable.

I'll probably do another AS world at some point using Home Sweet Home and try to do something pretty(ish) as well as trying to do quests in other ways (also, the different quest rewards would make it a completely different game...I've gotten tons of hives/nodes/silverwoods/other rare things from reward bags this time that have made the game easier than most people seem to have it...case in point, I just got 64 nether redstone and a nether iridium from the toast quest.)

Yomammabe1

Jul 29, 2019
You can break hungry nodes, I'm just worried about being able to do it before it eats something. I've only encountered two previously, one of which killed me (though I did eventually manage to break it...it just throws you around so much it's hard to keep it targeted, and even with a very fast pick, it took a long time to break) and one I managed to escape from.

As for aesthetics...I haven't been worrying about aesthetics, really. I'm never satisfied with what I build in a normal modpack, so I haven't even bothered to try in AS. I've got 2 massive rectangles of cobblestone slabs, one on top of the other so that I have somewhere to run wires (it's why I restarted on the flat platform...I would have felt guilty destroying the Home Sweet Home island to turn it into something I considered servicable.

I'll probably do another AS world at some point using Home Sweet Home and try to do something pretty(ish) as well as trying to do quests in other ways (also, the different quest rewards would make it a completely different game...I've gotten tons of hives/nodes/silverwoods/other rare things from reward bags this time that have made the game easier than most people seem to have it...case in point, I just got 64 nether redstone and a nether iridium from the toast quest.)

Heh.. no hun, I'm literally painting my house in between posts. XD I'm sooooooo tired. But I gotta finish this wall. Anyway, as for game aesthetics... I tend not to bother. Not until I'm comfortably supplied. Eventually I'll build some kind of factory to put all my machines in.

As for that node problem. As I've said, I'm not used to... what is it... 4.0? Perhaps building yourself a holding pen to keep you in place until you can figure out the node type. Obsidian with a one block opening facing the node location? I don't know the... particulars of hungry nodes.

Vaeliorin

Jul 29, 2019
Heh.. no hun, I'm literally painting my house in between posts. XD I'm sooooooo tired. But I gotta finish this wall. Anyway, as for game aesthetics... I tend not to bother. Not until I'm comfortably supplied. Eventually I'll build some kind of factory to put all my machines in.

As for that node problem. As I've said, I'm not used to... what is it... 4.0? Perhaps building yourself a holding pen to keep you in place until you can figure out the node type. Obsidian with a one block opening facing the node location? I don't know the... particulars of hungry nodes.
Ah, I guess I misunderstood the arcane stone for the node holders bit. Thought you were wondering how I'd place them aesthetically. I'll just drop them on cobble pillars, then break the cobble out from under them so they're just floating with at least 1 space on each side so I can jar them if I have to for some reason. Making an obsidian box for them would be a good idea, but I don't want to leave the obsidian sitting around, and I absolutely hate breaking obsidian (though I did get a nice TiCon Cobalt Hammer from a reward bag...I suppose I could use that, even though I haven't leveled it up at all.)

That reminds me, I need to look and see if the wand recharge stand and the upgrade that allows it to use compound aspects is from vanilla thaumcraft, or if it's from one of the addons.

Yomammabe1

Jul 29, 2019
Ah, I guess I misunderstood the arcane stone for the node holders bit. Thought you were wondering how I'd place them aesthetically. I'll just drop them on cobble pillars, then break the cobble out from under them so they're just floating with at least 1 space on each side so I can jar them if I have to for some reason. Making an obsidian box for them would be a good idea, but I don't want to leave the obsidian sitting around, and I absolutely hate breaking obsidian (though I did get a nice TiCon Cobalt Hammer from a reward bag...I suppose I could use that, even though I haven't leveled it up at all.)

That reminds me, I need to look and see if the wand recharge stand and the upgrade that allows it to use compound aspects is from vanilla thaumcraft, or if it's from one of the addons.

I just figured that Arcane Stone is incredibly strong and might be able to hold it's shape.

EDIT
Yay, 30 post award. Woohoo.

Marsupilami

Jul 29, 2019

I don't think the node rewards will generate a hungry node when placed. I tested placing over 1000 of them and not once did I get a hungry node. So either they have to be spawned in with a special command or the odds are really really low of getting one.

Vaeliorin

Jul 29, 2019
I just figured that Arcane Stone is incredibly strong and might be able to hold it's shape.

EDIT
Yay, 30 post award. Woohoo.
Ah. Nope. Warded Stone would be okay, but the warding focus requires a nether star (and I'm not even sure whether it's from an addon or not) and I've not fought a Wither yet (or ever...I've also never been to The End...I am a lazy Minecraft player!)

I don't think the node rewards will generate a hungry node when placed. I tested placing over 1000 of them and not once did I get a hungry node. So either they have to be spawned in with a special command or the odds are really really low of getting one.
Good to know. They are really rare to even generate in a survival world. Like I said, I've only seen two ever, and I've played in a bunch of worlds and come across several hundred nodes, at least. Guess I'll probably just take my chances and set them up a ways away from anything important (it's not like it would be too tragic if they ate something...I've got 80-something lives even after several stupid deaths...like not checking if my Phantom Bridge sigil was activated when wandering out to recharge my want from the pre-placed nodes...and plenty of resources to rebuild most anything.)

Drawde

Jul 29, 2019
So...I'm all set up to make myself some bound armor, but I'm not sure which sigils/whatnot to put in it. Normally I'd do Sanguine Helmet, Haste, Magnetism and an Air Sigil, but Haste and Magnetism seem kind of silly in AS (Magnetism mostly because it would mess with sieving operations) and since I'm not going to be node-hunting (I have 24 nodes from quest rewards), the sanguine helmet seems semi-pointless full time. I was thinking Green Grove would be useful, as would Phantom Bridge, but I tried Phantom Bridge in Bound Amor previously and it was incredibly annoying (mostly because the spawned blocks weren't despawning and I was leaving a huge trail behind me.) I was thinking just setting it up for nether exploring (Lava Sigil, Air Sigil, Haste, Magnetism, probably) but I'm not sure I'll ever even go to the nether.

Anyone have any suggestions?
The sigil of the green grove is a nice one. Plants grow REALLY fast around you with it.

Vaeliorin

Jul 29, 2019
The sigil of the green grove is a nice one. Plants grow REALLY fast around you with it.
Yep, I know. I'm just wondering if it would be worthwhile, as I've got all the Hell's Kitchen quests done except lettuce (I'm at approximately 40k lettuce at the moment), and I've got 500k leaves in a DSU being turned into dirt. Food's not an issue (tacos!) and I don't really have anything else to grow. I'm beginning to wish I'd started blood magic/thaumcraft earlier, but I'm just so used to waiting to do them until I've got automation set up that I didn't even consider it.

Still don't know what The End quests entail, though, so maybe it would be useful for that (though I could always just use the ritual, so I wouldn't have to stand there to get things to grow.

Yomammabe1

Jul 29, 2019
I'm starting to wonder if you couldn't rig up one of those entity damaging rituals in the empty end area, and then just dodge the dragon as you wait it out.

Namorax

Jul 29, 2019
Is there an equivalent of RedPowers Redstone Cables in Agrarian Skies? I have a pit under my farms where I put my Sludgeboilers and I'd like a way to remotely deactivate them in case I need to go down there. I haven't been able to find anything similar yet, so my "wiring" is either just vanilla redstone or lots of layers.
Also, is there a way to level up a chisel? I've tried using a flint chisel in a crafting grid and on placed blocks but it never gets any experience which means I can never put a ball of moss on it for regeneration.

Marsupilami

Jul 29, 2019
Is there an equivalent of RedPowers Redstone Cables in Agrarian Skies? I have a pit under my farms where I put my Sludgeboilers and I'd like a way to remotely deactivate them in case I need to go down there. I haven't been able to find anything similar yet, so my "wiring" is either just vanilla redstone or lots of layers.
Also, is there a way to level up a chisel? I've tried using a flint chisel in a crafting grid and on placed blocks but it never gets any experience which means I can never put a ball of moss on it for regeneration.

Rednet cables.

http://ftbwiki.org/RedNet_Cable