Agrarian Skys help, venting, and discussion thread

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
I have a random Mobtower filled with the possibility of spawning random nasties... 9 rooms are up for rent, but I seriously dont know what I should spawn in them.

My current list looks like this:
The tower consists of 3 floors, each floor with 4 rooms for autospawners. Conveyor belts move them to the center of the tower and there they drop into the grinder zone.
  • -Enderman (Never have enough Pearls)
  • -Pechs (Manabeans! and various stuff they otherwise drop is routed to my Thaumcraftroom)
  • -Zombiepigman (Infernally random drops, mostly for the bits of gold I get)
  • -Witch (Because she has the most drops apparently.And I needed the redstone when I caught her)
  • -Green/Pink/Blue Slime (Removed because I finished the Slimequest. Note: If you plan on using the Quest reward "Spawn Blue Slime King", you should be warned that he starts by shooting you in the face. With ~6 other blue slimes. Ridden by Creepers and Skeletons. Instadeath for me and I had to snipe everything down from the roof next door but I managed to catch the King!)
  • Blizz (I fabricated enough Gelid Cryotheum so I'm retiring him.
  • Zombie/Skeleton (Some of the first mobs I caught. Never got rid of them, but the Zombie spawns as a perfect copy with full chainmail)

I have room for 5 more mobs but I'm not sure what I should go for. Any suggestions what I should aim for? WAs thinking about the Nitro Creeper, just to see what he drops but they blow up before I manage to catch them >_> I even went as far as to catch a Hell fish!
I've actually turned all of my spawners off at the moment, as I simply don't need the drops. I only turn them on when my mob essence gets too low to run my blood magic farm (villager spawner inside a Well of Suffering, with dislocation runes on the altar, tesseracting the life essence to my AE system, got 8k buckets so far), as it seems that spawner + grinder are actually mob-essence-positive, which shouldn't be the case, but might have been changed for skyblock.

Namorax

Jul 29, 2019
So no suggestions which mobs are useful... nevermind then. I'm currently trying to fix a biome screw-up involving sinister nodes and me not knowing about that effect. I spawn silverwood trees all over the place to convert the biome back into a magical forest.

My problem: Every time I see a Node in a silverwood tree I dont know what to do. Chopping the log the Node is inside will destroy the node. Is that intentional? Something that happens only in this modpack? Or am I doing it wrong?
the instant the log is cracked open the node pops like a soapbubbble.

Jackoffripper

Jul 29, 2019
So no suggestions which mobs are useful... nevermind then. I'm currently trying to fix a biome screw-up involving sinister nodes and me not knowing about that effect. I spawn silverwood trees all over the place to convert the biome back into a magical forest.

My problem: Every time I see a Node in a silverwood tree I dont know what to do. Chopping the log the Node is inside will destroy the node. Is that intentional? Something that happens only in this modpack? Or am I doing it wrong?
the instant the log is cracked open the node pops like a soapbubbble.

Well firstly, spawning in silverwood trees will not help bring the biome back. You want ethereal blooms, they convert taint and eeire area back into their respective biomes.

As for the nodes in a sliverwood tree, you may jar them just like every other node. You just jar up around the log with the node in it and poof. Node in a jar.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
I've actually turned all of my spawners off at the moment, as I simply don't need the drops. I only turn them on when my mob essence gets too low to run my blood magic farm (villager spawner inside a Well of Suffering, with dislocation runes on the altar, tesseracting the life essence to my AE system, got 8k buckets so far), as it seems that spawner + grinder are actually mob-essence-positive, which shouldn't be the case, but might have been changed for skyblock.

If your spawn room is also a dark room, you will get positive mob essence from the random mob spawns.

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019
So no suggestions which mobs are useful... nevermind then.
I think you hit the high notes. The only mobs I've bothered to spawn directly are Endermen (pearls), Pech (mana beans) and villagers (Blood Magic). Everything else has just been passive spawn traps.

Namorax

Jul 29, 2019
Well firstly, spawning in silverwood trees will not help bring the biome back. You want ethereal blooms, they convert taint and eeire area back into their respective biomes.

As for the nodes in a sliverwood tree, you may jar them just like every other node. You just jar up around the log with the node in it and poof. Node in a jar.

Well, do you know what happens if you play a map for a while and then upgrade Minecraft a few versions? Now you can see areas where the biomeborders are screwed up. Same happend here: I have a Taiga bordering a Magical Forest. Where the two meet is that tainted biome and next to that (where I planted an ethereal bloom) I have a patch of River next to an ocean. O-o

I managed to plant Silverwoods all over the building and the taint is now (more or less) gone. Thanks for pointing out that Silverwoods dont reverse taint.
Its just that in this case I assumed magical forest was the original biome. Sadly it wasn't, or at least it wasnt the original biome according to the terrain generation.

Jeridan

Jul 29, 2019
The ratio of flowers to seeds is ridiculous. So far I have a diamond chest + part of another full of seeds, fruits, etc, and less that a stack of yellow flowers, and around 20 red flowers. At this rate I might actually run low on bone meal.

You will likely need at least one of every seed to complete all the quests. I did. And I had an iron golem farm running very early on and had more than enough roses.[DOUBLEPOST=1401639960][/DOUBLEPOST]
Did they nerf the growth rate of nether wart? It is taking forever to grow.

Take a look at the blood magic ritual of the green grove. Netherwart grows insanely fast on it.

Reactions: Padfoote

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019
You will likely need at least one of every seed to complete all the quests. I did.

That's assuming you bother with McAurey's. Outside of that, you can get by with what? Less than a dozen, certainly.

I'm pretty disappointed with that quest. All the other quests I can justify in my head. Stupid amount of cobble/dirt/glass/etc.? The quest is about designing the infrastructure to generate that much whatever. Even most of the bragging rights I can say, "well, we're making one of all these machines so at least we know they exist. Good call." McAurey's is simply "use 40,000 recipes to create exactly the same thing with different textures."

I started it, and I'm OCD enough I'm going to finish it, but when/if I redo the map I won't feel the least bit guilty about skipping that one altogether.

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
That's assuming you bother with McAurey's. Outside of that, you can get by with what? Less than a dozen, certainly.

I'm pretty disappointed with that quest. All the other quests I can justify in my head. Stupid amount of cobble/dirt/glass/etc.? The quest is about designing the infrastructure to generate that much whatever. Even most of the bragging rights I can say, "well, we're making one of all these machines so at least we know they exist. Good call." McAurey's is simply "use 40,000 recipes to create exactly the same thing with different textures."

I started it, and I'm OCD enough I'm going to finish it, but when/if I redo the map I won't feel the least bit guilty about skipping that one altogether.
It's not terribly difficult (especially if you've got a healthy surplus after the soy quest), and there is an extent to which it gets you to build the infrastructure (you get to know the common components, and make sure to have surpluses of them, like heavy cream).

My advice for it would be:
A) Early in your career, place bonemeal and a sickle in (possibly the same, possibly different) activators, vacuum hopper to diamond chest, and leave it running, get a LOT of seeds/saplings

B) Use soy as a replacement as much as possible. The only place you can't really is most of the recipes needing fish, but after the leafy fish sandwich quest in hells kitchen, you'll already have the infrastructure for those.

C) You'll be wanting a crafting interface, dirt (both tilled and non-tilled) nearby, and a sigil of the green grove and axe of the stream handy. When you find an ingredient you don't have, grow it, and harvest about 10 times. That should be enough to be going on with. If you find an ingredient that doesn't have and recipes, only a processing step (like peppercorns), process the lot and stick in your AE system.

D) Have a LIST of what you're crafting. Referring to the quest book constantly is just not worth it.

Using this, I got through it in about an hour and a half, having not crafted pretty much anything before (even for the Hell's Kitchen quests I got AE to do it for me).

My main gripe with quests recently has been Jaded's purple hoarding quests:
A) Amaranth trees can't be planted by the planter (but they can be planted by and bonemealed by autonomous activator, and harvested by the harvester)

B) Forestry stained glass can hardly be automated at all! You can keep things like the glass, dye and propolis topped up, but you can't insert the wax casings or pull anything out. That was, far and away, the most irritating part of having to actually shift-click each individual piece of glass out!

Luckily, I'm waiting on amaranth crafting (the wood's there, I just need planks) and a few hundred wool, and I'm done with that. My cobble should be good now, I'm just trying to find a way to farm dirt that has a greater yield than the 60 barrels I've got at the moment (and extending it to a bajillion is something I'd prefer to avoid), and probably sitting on my lettuce farm with a healing axe and sigil of the green grove.

Reactions: jokermatt999

Jeridan

Jul 29, 2019
Can you get mariculture oysters to spawn? Like, find an ocean biome, make an area of water and they will spawn like mobs?

Jeridan

Jul 29, 2019
It's not terribly difficult (especially if you've got a healthy surplus after the soy quest), and there is an extent to which it gets you to build the infrastructure (you get to know the common components, and make sure to have surpluses of them, like heavy cream).

My advice for it would be:
A) Early in your career, place bonemeal and a sickle in (possibly the same, possibly different) activators, vacuum hopper to diamond chest, and leave it running, get a LOT of seeds/saplings

B) Use soy as a replacement as much as possible. The only place you can't really is most of the recipes needing fish, but after the leafy fish sandwich quest in hells kitchen, you'll already have the infrastructure for those.

C) You'll be wanting a crafting interface, dirt (both tilled and non-tilled) nearby, and a sigil of the green grove and axe of the stream handy. When you find an ingredient you don't have, grow it, and harvest about 10 times. That should be enough to be going on with. If you find an ingredient that doesn't have and recipes, only a processing step (like peppercorns), process the lot and stick in your AE system.

D) Have a LIST of what you're crafting. Referring to the quest book constantly is just not worth it.

Using this, I got through it in about an hour and a half, having not crafted pretty much anything before (even for the Hell's Kitchen quests I got AE to do it for me).

My main gripe with quests recently has been Jaded's purple hoarding quests:
A) Amaranth trees can't be planted by the planter (but they can be planted by and bonemealed by autonomous activator, and harvested by the harvester)

B) Forestry stained glass can hardly be automated at all! You can keep things like the glass, dye and propolis topped up, but you can't insert the wax casings or pull anything out. That was, far and away, the most irritating part of having to actually shift-click each individual piece of glass out!

Luckily, I'm waiting on amaranth crafting (the wood's there, I just need planks) and a few hundred wool, and I'm done with that. My cobble should be good now, I'm just trying to find a way to farm dirt that has a greater yield than the 60 barrels I've got at the moment (and extending it to a bajillion is something I'd prefer to avoid), and probably sitting on my lettuce farm with a healing axe and sigil of the green grove.

I built this for farming seeds, just plant the seed, make sure to have bonemeal in the dispensers(fed mine from AE) and toggle the clock. http://imgur.com/a/hv00O

Did the lettuce quest in less than an hour.[DOUBLEPOST=1401651140][/DOUBLEPOST]
Not that I know of. You can use a mariculture rod. It's one of the low chance fishings.

Ok, I may try that. Does the mariculture auto-fisher have that same chance? Answered elsewhere and it was yes, the rod and autofisher share loot tables.

Last edited:

blazer33333

Jul 29, 2019
If you're too far away, mobs won't drop entities. This is the advantage of a grinder.
I switched to a grinder, but it still doesn't work unless I am next to the trap.

Edit: Nevermind, I added another spawning level and that fixed it.

Last edited:

blazer33333

Jul 29, 2019

You do realize that the description of the entire bragging rights quest tab is "Pointless quests that have nothing to do with anything."

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019
You do realize that the description of the entire bragging rights quest tab is "Pointless quests that have nothing to do with anything."

Even most of the bragging rights I can say, "well, we're making one of all these machines so at least we know they exist. Good call." McAurey's is simply "use 40,000 recipes to create exactly the same thing with different textures."

I'm not sure how to say it any differently than I did the first time. To be fair, my problem is more with the particular mod. I have no interest in playing "let's pretend" with allegedly different kinds of food. The cosmetic blocks are pretty useless as well, but at least you can place them in the world and admire how 'pretty' they are. Food is simply a solution to the hunger mechanic. There's no need for more than one solution.

Namorax

Jul 29, 2019
I'm going through Thaumcraft for the first time and I finally managed to set up a (working) system that allows me to throw any item I want to break down into one end, with the resulting essentia being sorted into their proper jars.

Qu2Ra3Y.png

The "Alchemicum" as I named it in my Warpbook. I tried to make it as compact as possible, and the essentias are sorted by tiers.

icglBx5.png

View from the side to better see the "piping".

qy0rk69.png

The Redstone behind everything. Used RedNet Cable to colorcode the bellows. The bellows activate in a way that allows the essentia to move from one end to the other and on the way they can drain into their jars. Its was running for a while now, and I didn't notice any problems. I tried using 2 alchemical furnaces, but they drain too slowly imo. Looks like 1 furnace it is. (The lamp are there for observation reasons)

EDIT: I noticed I uploaded the wrong screenshot, you can barely see anything. Sorry for that will fix as soon as possible.
Once I have a few Golems they'll empty the Jars into phials and I'll probably never visit again. Maybe someone else is interested in this system and/or can make use of it.

Last edited:

Zeeth_Kyrah

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not sure how to say it any differently than I did the first time. To be fair, my problem is more with the particular mod. I have no interest in playing "let's pretend" with allegedly different kinds of food. The cosmetic blocks are pretty useless as well, but at least you can place them in the world and admire how 'pretty' they are. Food is simply a solution to the hunger mechanic. There's no need for more than one solution.
You know Jaded and her quest to add challenge to Minecraft. There will be such a need soon.

Reactions: Ten and madnewmy

blazer33333

Jul 29, 2019
I can't get my witch water/mushroom farm going. I have an aqueous accumulator filling up barrels, and fluiducts whitelisted for witch water pumping it into a drum. Problem is the barrels won't fill up, even though this same set-up worked for filling up elsewhere.
2014-06-01_20.44.44.png
2014-06-01_20.45.04.png
2014-06-01_20.45.09.png
2014-06-01_20.45.15.png