About GregTech Machines Blowing Up In The Rain

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord
Status
Not open for further replies.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm. Just because I'd like to throw in my explanation of EU/t vs. EU/p.

You can have unlimited number of packets flowing through a single piece of wire. The limitation is that the packets need to be the right size. For copper, gold, glass fibre and HV, the packet size limitations are 32, 128, 512 and 2048 respectively. This means the voltage limitation on wires is actually EU/p.

Though glass fibre cable is limited to 512 EU/t, if you have three MFSU's connected in parallel to a single output:

MFSU ------------
______________|
MFSU --------------x-x---- Output
______________|
MFSU ------------

The output, say a matter fabricator, capable of accepting up to 8.1k EU/t will receive ~ 1.5k EU/t from this set up. When you go to check the wire at the point (x-x) with an EU-reader, you will find that it'll read 1536 EU/t, even though the limit is 512 EU/t. This is because there are three 512 EU sized packets traveling every tick.

A better notation to describe this would be to say 512 EU * 3p / t, or three, 512 EU packets, every tick.

What this means is the following:

1.) A single transmission line attached to all sizes (6) of a block is capable of sending 6 packets per tick, of whatever the transmission line is rated at, so long as the block/machine can accept that much EU.

2.) Technically, a piece of wire can carry infinite EU/t as so long as the packets are the right size.

Something to be discerned:

1.) The amount of energy that a storage device can output is correct in the sense that only 512 EU/t can come out of an MFSU. If your system demands 600 EU/t, you are only going to get 512 EU/t out of that MFSU. The solution is to set up two MFSU's in parallel, allowing your EU/t damage to be 1024 EU/t.

An example to better explain that:

The output of my lava EU generating cell is 700+ EU/t. If I am storing all the produced energy in storage devices, then from those devices the energy is sent out, I need two MFSU's connected in parallel to allow me to consume EU at a rate of 700+ EU/t. If I only had one, I would only be capable of consuming 512 EU/t.

In the end:

Knowing how much energy in total is all you really need. Store your energy in high voltages because stepping down voltages is so much more easy than stepping it up. If your demands out of one transmission line exceeds the rated EU/t from a transformer, simply adding another transformer, or attaching another output size to your output wire is sufficient. The other way around (i.e. turning 8 LV packets into 2 MV packets) would require you to have two transformers with all four sides connected, and a redstone signal. It's just less convenient, imo.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, sorry. I was a bit... harsh ;)

But imagine a packet of multiple bytes (size is fixed) and that * 512 for 512 solar panels. And that * amount of players on a server ;)
Yeah, the funny thing is I know how bad it can be to spam generators and cables everywhere on a computers resources, I just derped the last time I was going throught the thread:). It serves me write for commenting before I read the thread properly.

EternalDensity

Jul 29, 2019
Safety first!

2013-07-04_16.00.59.png

2013-07-04_16.06.35.png

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
EternalDensity
why silver plates? that`s op!
greg needs to nerf all plates except tungstensteel ones, in terms of rain protection, because greg.

are you really powering electrolyzers with RECs?

EternalDensity

Jul 29, 2019
Yes. Standard practice at Liaranous Technologocities.

Well technically no because I haven't remade the MJ upgrades because I made them in the period of time that was rolled back.

Sent from my PC with which I am *trying* to not purchase N7 sneakers. Stupid thinkgeek sales making my want to buy stuff :(

Reactions: ApSciLiara

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
Because GregTech. Despite the mod author's douchiness and the shitty balance, it offers Very Nice Things™.
ok. i get it. its a bit shame that such Very Nice Things™ covered in "MFR`s most famous thing".
anyway how`s situation with GT balance in RR?

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
On the google+ for resonant rise they have a download for the configs. It probably wont make for exhilarating reading but you would be able to find out what recipes they use in those by and large. I don't play resonant rise but I have used the configs and modlist to help compile my own slightly smaller modpack.

natnif36

Jul 29, 2019
I seriously recommend against powering GT machines via the pneumatic upgrade.

It uses a bloody 1:1 eu-mj ratio, compared to the standard 2.5:1

Use energy cubes and either universal cable or IC2
Cable directly instead, and put the MJs into the cube.

Speaking if, what's the losses on Universal Cable?
Is it lossless?

Trunks9809

Jul 29, 2019
anyway how`s situation with GT balance in RR?

Macerator wasn't GT (And in the most recent GT the vanilla IC2 machine is gone totally, replaced with the automatic macerator), Quarry is, Drill is, all the 'free' generators bar solars aren't.

But, since the last RR update when Greg disabled all non-plate recipes, changed a bunch of recipes to require plates (machine block requires 8 refined iron plates for example), I've come to enjoy the fact that my GT infrastructure is already well established...

Status
Not open for further replies.