A Shitstorm

Which do you prefer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
But eventually those mods will stagnate, and no new mods will be released on complex energy. And this is where everything goes to shit

I'm sorry, but how do you come up with that statement? RF has been around for a while now, and yet people still love GT and RoC has an avid following.
It's up to the modders to decide what they want to do with their mods. Are you suggesting that everyone will just go the easy route? If so, then why do Greg and Reika keep going? They should just let the mods stagnate because you say so?

They keep going (I think, I'm not them but I get the feeling it's this) because they fill a need by some of the community for mods that make you think.
There will always be someone who enjoys the grind, or the math involved in complex mods.

People who are just starting out in FTB or modded MC may not want to start off with this kind of complexity, but after a while, they will start to look at the "hard mode" mods.

People don't start off with a reactor, they build up to it, so why not have a nice and easy centralized power system for them to use, until they are ready for the other stuff?

To force people to have to use complex mods will only drive people away. I say using RF =/= stagnation in mod creation. It's up to the modders out there to make what they want.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
I meant that you could use configs to suit every player in a SSP situtation. That is why I said it's different for multiplayer after that. Devs shouldn't be forced to add config options, but it would make it more accessible to users. For example, I like the molten metal and customizable tools of Tinkers Construct, but I don't use it because I consider it to be imbalanced. If there was config options to adjust this, I would use it.

You're also assuming that no players care about "server economies" . You're also assuming that nobody cares about what other people are doing. This is not a universal situation. Time is not relevant if mods have different scaling. If you play for 4 hours a day and I play for 2 hours a day, but I use a mod that progresses twice as fast, then your "time advantage" is nullified.
TiCo has IguanaTweaks. Or you can just not use it like you're doing.

I'm not assuming that at all. My point is that server economies are a universal standard of SMP. Many break down without adding currency and limitations.

Time is ALWAYS relevant. If I'm in Creative Mode and you're in survival, then I can theoretically build and have more than you. But not if I only have an hour a week to play and you can hop on for hours every day. Plus you aren't factoring mod knowledge, etc. Your sense of progression only applies in the situations where people care about that.

More than that, most of your complaints are about mod pack composition, not mods themselves. You're also arguing a particular play style of economy and caring what others do. I'll agree to disagree because none of these concepts are things I'm concerned about when I play.

Reactions: Padfoote

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
Eventually the mods will stagnate, everything becomes boring after a long enough time. Also, with no new mods of the such they must. Finally, they will not be updated forever

This will happen to all mods. Not just the hard mode ones.

IC2 is running out of steam (or so it would seem) because they haven't innovated. It has nothing to do with RF/EU.
Remember Redpower? It's fallen along the wayside due to getting dropped by the modder, not for a lack of need/desire for the mod. Redpower didn't get dropped because it wasn't going to use RF.
Now we have a few mods that replace almost (if not) all the functions of that mod.

Is this stagnation, or innovation?

Potato, potahto...

ProfessorMudkip

Jul 29, 2019
TiCo has IguanaTweaks. Or you can just not use it like you're doing.

I'm not assuming that at all. My point is that server economies are a universal standard of SMP. Many break down without adding currency and limitations.

Time is ALWAYS relevant. If I'm in Creative Mode and you're in survival, then I can theoretically build and have more than you. But not if I only have an hour a week to play and you can hop on for hours every day. Plus you aren't factoring mod knowledge, etc. Your sense of progression only applies in the situations where people care about that.

More than that, most of your complaints are about mod pack composition, not mods themselves. You're also arguing a particular play style of economy and caring what others do. I'll agree to disagree because none of these concepts are things I'm concerned about when I play.
IguanaTweaks does not change the tools as much as I'd like. Though, the main problem I have with Tinker's is the highly inexpensive nature of its ore doubling; only sand, gravel and clay with very high fuel efficiency.

Economies are not a universal standard, but most servers have some form of an economy; whether it be simple bartering or complex virtual economies. Though, my main point was server balance. Economies are a part of things that need to be balanced properly.

Creative vs survival is an extreme difference that is not applicable because they are entirely different. Servers do not mix creative and survival.

Mod knowledge is a factor, but anyone with internet access or SSP Creative experimentation can learn a mod fairly quickly. The first time I used Mekanism, all I had to do was look at the ore processing diagram and NEI to figure it out myself. Of course, it may take more or less time depending on the complexity of the mod.

My complaints are about comparative mod balance. But, by default most mods by themselves are too easy. People tend to use whatever is most efficient. If people powercreep to endgame, it prematurely stagnates the server. Likewise, It is very difficult for a server owner to make good community events if there is a large power differential among the userbase.

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
If you are playing on servers where the economy is king, then that's your thing.

Please don't try to argue that RF being the go to API will kill they way you like to play the game. No one is stopping you from joining a different server, or starting your own, or playing SSP.

I run a DW20 server, there is no economy because that's not what the server is about. Your experience isn't the only experience. We have fun, there isn't any competition, we all went into the nether together, and we plan to kill the ender dragon together. Is RF going to stop us from doing this? No.

How many times does this have to be said?

Play how you want to play. This move to RF being the go to power API does not in any way affect your playing style. What mods you chose to use affects your playing style.

ProfessorMudkip

Jul 29, 2019
Please don't try to argue that RF being the go to API will kill they way you like to play the game. No one is stopping you from joining a different server, or starting your own, or playing SSP.
I presume this isn't aimed at me, but I have no problem with RF as long as the mod using it has good configs.

Your experience isn't the only experience.
This is why balance is important. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. If you powercreep and raid the Nether/dungeons, kill the Enderdragon, etc then it negatively impacts the other players.

Play how you want to play.
Ultimately, I agree with this. The balance is not needed on a small casual server among friends.

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
This move to RF being the go to power API does not in any way affect your playing style. What mods you chose to use affects your playing style.
This attitude is what scares me.

I am drunk, so please, step in any time guys, but here goes... You are absolutely correct, it does not effect my playstyle at the present. What it does do is create a box in which modders must innovate in order to stay relevant. If the mainstream is RF, and all/most modpacks use RF, your chances of your mod getting used are slim to none unless you conform. I fear that having one powersystem will make innovation in tech mods stagnate more than it already has.

ProfessorMudkip

Jul 29, 2019
This attitude is what scares me.

I am drunk, so please, step in any time guys, but here goes... You are absolutely correct, it does not effect my playstyle at the present. What it does do is create a box in which modders must innovate in order to stay relevant. If the mainstream is RF, and all/most modpacks use RF, your chances of your mod getting used are slim to none. I fear that having one powersystem will make innovation in tech mods stagnate more than it already has.
Isn't RF just a number to represent power quantity?

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Even more then that, at it's basic level (which applies to all power systems) it's just a number to represent a % of coal in a crafting recipe. After all, a furnace cooking 8 ingots equals 8 ore + 1 coal in a crafting grid.

But, the crafting grid method lacks depth, so we have a furnace, which introduces a new variable - time.

Current implementation of RF is the crafting grid, what people want is a furnace...

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019

isn't age just a number? doesn't it get darkest just before dawn? No.

I could care less if it was RF, MJ, or Uber_Power_System_9000, a box is still a box. If this hypothetical single-power-system modding scene were to develop, people like Reika would likely be less inclined to share their work with us, or even make it to begin with, because Why?

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
As I said above already I think there is nothing wrong with RF as such. It is just that there are not enough 'hard' or 'challenging' RF generating options. Big Reactors is relatively challenging if you want to (a) use turbines and (b) make it fully self-contained and generating RF with RotaryCraft is also somewhat challenging but that's about it mostly.

Would be nice to have more challenging and interesting ways to set up RF.

ProfessorMudkip

Jul 29, 2019
Even more then that, at it's basic level (which applies to all power systems) it's just a number to represent a % of coal in a crafting recipe. After all, a furnace cooking 8 ingots equals 8 ore + 1 coal in a crafting grid.

But, the crafting grid method lacks depth, so we have a furnace, which introduces a new variable - time.

Current implementation of RF is the crafting grid, what people want is a furnace...
isn't age just a number? doesn't it get darkest just before dawn? No.

I could care less if it was RF, MJ, or Uber_Power_System_9000, a box is still a box. If this hypothetical single-power-system modding scene were to develop, people like Reika would likely be less inclined to share their work with us, or even make it to begin with, because Why?
Why can't RF be used to make something more complex?

Status
Not open for further replies.