A Rotarycraft Thread (Meanders a little)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

kilteroff

Jul 29, 2019
I absolutely adore this mod (2 careers ago I was an aircraft mechanic), but Reika I wish you'd take a break from creation and spend like 2 weeks just on optimization; I did an extractor setup with 6 AC engines going through a multi-directional clutch on a timer for stage switching (super fun to build, did I mention I adore this mod?), and man... the 18 flywheels just murdered my framerate, I mean low single digits when I can run BF4 at ultra, and I have 3 gigs dedicated to minecraft.

Yesterday my server updated to monster 1.0.13, and now magnetostatics and industrial coils are behaving differently; if I try to set torque to 8192 for instance.. it auto-sets itself back to 1024, is this intended? Power is the whole point and you don't want people just abusing the crap out of magnetostatics, I get that (and agree), it's not a big deal.. I just geared down for my needs, just curious if it's intentional or a monster pack bug.

Also please make your mod Ender IO friendly, please please please <3

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
This biome is either from Highlands or Biomes O' Plenty. Alternate Terrain Generation may increase the total size of a single biome substantially, depending on how it interpretes the heightmap/coords before assigning biomes. This gravel beach generates as many hundreds of square-meters of gravel blocks at exactly sea level before a slight rise in terrain.

If you always intended your crystals to spawn [at or below] sea level, I suggest changing it to only [below], losing you only 1 block of the other 64(ish) possible elevations, unless you want to add code about seeing the sky, or not being in beach biomes, or whatever.
To remove y=63 spawning would not solve the issue as there are biomes and dimensions whose ground levels are below that. Banning seeing the sky would prevent exposed ravines and the like from generating them, plus is not reliable while the world is generating.

Is there a limit to how many canola seeds I can plant in a specific area?
I'm using autonomous activators and it worked perfectly for my automated magic crops farm (I'm using golems) but there are less and less spots I can plant the canola seeds on - it just won't let me place them in the free spots. Golems, on the other hand, are able to replant them everywhere (most of the time). There's nothing above the farm, so I don't understand why it doesn't work. :(
1st screenshot: 1st planting
2nd screenshot: 4th time planting
Invisible light or railcraft blocks?

RotaryFolks: Do any of these blocks in the rotary handbook function anything like a clutched shaft junction where the output torque is only split up if something is actually hooked into the second output?

What I'm picturing is, an always-running rotary system that is essentially overclocking everything its permanently hooked into (say, for instance, some fans and a sprinkler) and has enough extra juice that I can occassionally tap into it to plug in another machine, such as a grinder or obsidian factory.
No, there is nothing like that.

I absolutely adore this mod (2 careers ago I was an aircraft mechanic), but Reika I wish you'd take a break from creation and spend like 2 weeks just on optimization; I did an extractor setup with 6 AC engines going through a multi-directional clutch on a timer for stage switching (super fun to build, did I mention I adore this mod?), and man... the 18 flywheels just murdered my framerate, I mean low single digits when I can run BF4 at ultra, and I have 3 gigs dedicated to minecraft.
What is your CPU? Having a high-end GPU is not going to help with RC.

Yesterday my server updated to monster 1.0.13, and now magnetostatics and industrial coils are behaving differently; if I try to set torque to 8192 for instance.. it auto-sets itself back to 1024, is this intended? Power is the whole point and you don't want people just abusing the crap out of magnetostatics, I get that (and agree), it's not a big deal.. I just geared down for my needs, just curious if it's intentional or a monster pack bug.
These are part of the v16 nerfs.

Also please make your mod Ender IO friendly, please please please <3
To transport shaft power across wires? No.

kilteroff

Jul 29, 2019
1: t'is a quad Xeon sir, I'm not at home so can't get more info at the moment.

2: K, figured, just checking.

3: I was actually thinking about the other conduits, power would completely negate bevel and junction gears I get that. By "friendly" I just meant getting kinks out, for instance the multi-directional clutch would recognize a redstone signal via ender io from the top but not the bottom (though that was a few weeks ago, possibly fixed now)

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
1: t'is a quad Xeon sir, I'm not at home so can't get more info at the moment.
Then you should not be having such severe issues that noone aside from weak netbook users have.

3: I was actually thinking about the other conduits, power would completely negate bevel and junction gears I get that. By "friendly" I just meant getting kinks out, for instance the multi-directional clutch would recognize a redstone signal via ender io from the top but not the bottom (though that was a few weeks ago, possibly fixed now)
That bug was fixed.

nefentari

Jul 29, 2019
nefentari, the only thing I can think of is a block such as a wrath lamp spreading invisible blocks around. Are you using anything like that by any chance?

There's no reason I can think of that you should be prevented from planting things so long as the tile supports it (tilled farmland or fertilized soil, etc)
Invisible light or railcraft blocks?
No, none of these things anywhere near it. The area is fenced off with torches on top + 1 fence post+torch in the middle. It's tilled and I'm using autonomous activators (Thermal Expansion) with watering cans inside (Extra Utilities) to keep it wet and make the crops grow faster.
I tested it in Creative with a 4x5 area and 2 water source blocks right next to it (no mod items next to/beneath/above it) and there were still 4 blocks that didn't let me plant the seeds on them.
I'm currently playing with version 1.6 v10e.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
No, none of these things anywhere near it. The area is fenced off with torches on top + 1 fence post+torch in the middle. It's tilled and I'm using autonomous activators (Thermal Expansion) with watering cans inside (Extra Utilities) to keep it wet and make the crops grow faster.
I tested it in Creative with a 4x5 area and 2 water source blocks right next to it (no mod items next to/beneath/above it) and there were still 4 blocks that didn't let me plant the seeds on them.
I'm currently playing with version 1.6 v10e.
Then as long as you have sufficient light and hydrated farmland, the canola should plant.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
No, there is nothing like that
Regarding the clutched shaft junction. Does anything like that make sense for a reasonable potential block? Does it run against any intent of your mod?

I'm trying to picture it in my mind and it sort of makes sense, but I'm a programmer not an engineer, and I wouldn't know a ball bearing from a nuclear submarine.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Regarding the clutched shaft junction. Does anything like that make sense for a reasonable potential block? Does it run against any intent of your mod?

I'm trying to picture it in my mind and it sort of makes sense, but I'm a programmer not an engineer, and I wouldn't know a ball bearing from a nuclear submarine.
It is not possible with the way the RotaryCraft power system works (supply-based, not demand-based).

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
It is not possible with the way the RotaryCraft power system works (supply-based, not demand-based).
Hope you understand that this is me trying to understand something I'm not really familiar with but am curious about, and not an attempt at being obtuse or difficult :)...

Couldn't a block flip from bevel to shaft junction on demand via clever use of clutch and/or gears?

From a gameplay perspective, I wonder if someone could achieve this by shoving your blocks around with pistons. Wish I were at home to test this. One could push a bevel out and push a shaft junction in by providing a RS signal.

Edited: From a development perspective, it seems you already provide for 99% of this. It would be nice if a high tier shaft junction provided two things:
1) a higher ratio (I don't mind a bit of loss, it doesn't need to be 1:0, although I wonder if such a thing exists In Real Life)
2) ability to switch ratios via redstone signals (Admit it, that would be badass)

Last edited:

gallowglass

Jul 29, 2019
Can you clarify sir? I read the handbook entry for it but didn't really follow.

Does the CVT work like a dynamic shaft junction where I can specify ratios to specific output faces?

No. The CVT can output two different ratios depending on redstone signal, i.e., act like a 16:1 gearbox with no redstone signal and a 32:1 gearbox with a redstone signal. The shaft junction can output different torques to different faces when in split mode.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
No. The CVT can output two different ratios depending on redstone signal, i.e., act like a 16:1 gearbox with no redstone signal and a 32:1 gearbox with a redstone signal. The shaft junction can output different torques to different faces when in split mode.
Ah, ok; I meant switching ratios for a shaft junction, rather than a gearbox. If I recall correctly, shift-right-clicking a shaft junction in split mode also provides ratios.

Sorry for lack of clarity. To remedy: It would be nice if I could switch the split ratio of a shaft junction via a redstone signal.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Ah, ok; I meant switching ratios for a shaft junction, rather than a gearbox. If I recall correctly, shift-right-clicking a shaft junction in split mode also provides ratios.

Sorry for lack of clarity. To remedy: It would be nice if I could switch the split ratio of a shaft junction via a redstone signal.
I can look into that.

Reactions: Pyure

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
I found the CVT to be useful for hooking up hydroelectric engines to an extractor. It could also be used to convert the torque of a magnetostatic engine into speed. :p

A gearbox could also do this, but a CVT unit doesn't constantly use lubricant.

Reactions: Pyure