A magic mod with a power system ...

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
So what would a magic mod that had a power system look like, anyways?

This may sound strange, but Jaded brought up the idea in another thread. I think she meant it as a throw-away idea. But it's still something to consider.

If magic is just another way to generate power to manipulate the environment, then a system of magic is just a strange and unusual way to generate power, plus some machines (generally, from literature, either based around people/will, or stored in staffs/rings/other devices) to alter the environment.

So it's not completely out there. Instead of mechanical generators, you have ritual generators (hmm, sounds like blood magic). Instead of block breakers, or tree harvesters, you have golems breaking plants, or golems harvesting ... err, I need a better example here. Ok, instead of a terraformer changing the landscape, you have a ... magic tree changing the landscape.

I'm doing a bad job here. Can someone run with this idea and do better?

Reactions: 1SDAN

caramba2564

Jul 29, 2019
But still, it would be nice if we organized the magic power system. Just like it's now a consensus that RF is the main mechanical power (and thus works with lots of mods), I think there should be a main magic power that's able to be converted and used between most magical mods. I know it's difficult, and it involves a lot of balancing, but what would be life without a challenges? For example, imagine being able to charge your Thaumcraft wand on a block that's being powered by Ars Magica essence. That would be neat, wouldn't it?

abculatter_2

Jul 29, 2019
But still, it would be nice if we organized the magic power system. Just like it's now a consensus that RF is the main mechanical power (and thus works with lots of mods), I think there should be a main magic power that's able to be converted and used between most magical mods. I know it's difficult, and it involves a lot of balancing, but what would be life without a challenges? For example, imagine being able to charge your Thaumcraft wand on a block that's being powered by Ars Magica essence. That would be neat, wouldn't it?
It would also break Thaumcraft balance, and Azanor's purpose for nodes, (to encourage and indeed require exploration) no matter how much fiddling and balancing you did.

Pokefenn

Jul 29, 2019
No thanks, we don't all design that in mind, and it would completely break every magic mod.
Also, "but what would be life without a challenges" is quite ironic, since you are kinda saying that we should remove the challenge from some mods, by just cutting it out and using another mods.

tldr(eventhough its not long); bad idea, no swag, 0/1337/, woudnt be happy, yolo

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Witchery has a power system too. It actually has two, believe it or not.

The first one is the main power system, it's used to do most rituals. It's created using the Altar and is powered off of nature and a few booster items you can place on top of the Altar (torch or candelabra, skeleton skull or wither skull, chalice or filled chalice). It will create power passively as long as it has something to power it, such as grass, trees, and the items mentioned previously. You can transfer this power using a Rite of Charging, which will charge either the player's infusion power, or fill an Attuned Stone with power.

The second one is the infusion power. You get it by performing an infusion on yourself, and you can recharge by using a Rite of Charging. This power system is pretty standard, you start with a set amount, and it decreases as you use your abilities. Eventually the power bar will go away.

Reactions: Padfoote

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
I'd love to see someone try to intwine AM2 mana with TC4 essentia/vis. When they utterly fail, I can laugh hysterically.

Magic energy =/= Tech energy.

I'm pretty sure Forbidden Magic has a wand that allows for a mana to vis conversion. It also has one for LP to vis.

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
/me realises irony in post
nevermind_nathan_fillion.gif

caramba2564

Jul 29, 2019
No thanks, we don't all design that in mind, and it would completely break every magic mod.
Also, "but what would be life without a challenges" is quite ironic, since you are kinda saying that we should remove the challenge from some mods, by just cutting it out and using another mods.

tldr(eventhough its not long); bad idea, no swag, 0/1337/, woudnt be happy, yolo

But there loads of mods that already to that. Thermal Expansion removes the challenge pumping oil, refining it and using engines and pipes to power machines from Buildcraft with its simple magmatic dynamos and redstone conduits.

And even if a "Universal Magic Energy" mod came out, who says it should be easy? It's magic, for Pete's sake! You don't need to make it easy to convert from one to another. You just need to make sense, even if it turns out to be a Gregtech sort of mod. For example, converting Ars Magica to Witchery. I'd do something like:

1. Build an 8x8 of Ars Magica nexi.
2. In the middle, have a converter block.
3. Surrounding the converter block and all the spaces between the nexi, there would be sigils stands with the Nature's Bounty (or something like that) sigil. The more sigils, the more efficient the conversion.
4. The converter would get essence from the nexi, scan for nearby sigils, and then it would convert the essence to Witchery energy based on the number of sigils and the type of essence used. Maybe have it consume saplings or seeds periodically, too.
5. String all that with some nice Azanor-like particles and beams and stuff, and you've got yourself a nice looking and non-OP magic converter.

Does it skip the Witchery's way of creating energy? Yes it does. But in counterweight, it abuses the other mod so that it's not that easy to create Witchery energy from it.

But in the end, it's just an idea. It may not be good, but that's why we share ideas, right? To see if we can improve them.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
But there loads of mods that already to that. Thermal Expansion removes the challenge pumping oil, refining it and using engines and pipes to power machines from Buildcraft with its simple magmatic dynamos and redstone conduits.

And even if a "Universal Magic Energy" mod came out, who says it should be easy? It's magic, for Pete's sake! You don't need to make it easy to convert from one to another. You just need to make sense, even if it turns out to be a Gregtech sort of mod. For example, converting Ars Magica to Witchery. I'd do something like:

1. Build an 8x8 of Ars Magica nexi.
2. In the middle, have a converter block.
3. Surrounding the converter block and all the spaces between the nexi, there would be sigils stands with the Nature's Bounty (or something like that) sigil. The more sigils, the more efficient the conversion.
4. The converter would get essence from the nexi, scan for nearby sigils, and then it would convert the essence to Witchery energy based on the number of sigils and the type of essence used. Maybe have it consume saplings or seeds periodically, too.
5. String all that with some nice Azanor-like particles and beams and stuff, and you've got yourself a nice looking and non-OP magic converter.

Does it skip the Witchery's way of creating energy? Yes it does. But in counterweight, it abuses the other mod so that it's not that easy to create Witchery energy from it.

But in the end, it's just an idea. It may not be good, but that's why we share ideas, right? To see if we can improve them.
That's so unnecessary since Witchery power is so easy to get in the first place :p

caramba2564

Jul 29, 2019
That's so unnecessary since Witchery power is so easy to get in the first place :p

I know, but why not? XD

I mean, get Thermal Expansion for example. If you keep generating RF using magmatic dynamos in every single world, one day it's going to get boring. So then you try new ways that, even though they might not be as easy, are different from the method you're used to. I already went through that, and in the next world I plan to generate RF using biomass or liquefacted coal (probably. I might use oil too :p)

And BTW, that was just a simple example. It was the first one that popped in my mind. .-.[DOUBLEPOST=1398544104][/DOUBLEPOST]
Because if that happened then the whole idea of magic mods would change.

And what would the idea of magic mods be? I didn't get what you said...

Reactions: Wright

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
I know, but why not? XD

I mean, get Thermal Expansion for example. If you keep generating RF using magmatic dynamos in every single world, one day it's going to get boring. So then you try new ways that, even though they might not be as easy, are different from the method you're used to. I already went through that, and in the next world I plan to generate RF using biomass or liquefacted coal (probably. I might use oil too :p)

And BTW, that was just a simple example. It was the first one that popped in my mind. .-.
Yeah, but Witchery is based on natural magic that is already present in the world. Therefor, having the power be generated non-passively (requires fuel of saplings/seeds, nexi) makes no sense, thus breaking the entire intention of the mod.

Reactions: Padfoote

CarbonBasedGhost

Jul 29, 2019
I know, but why not? XD

And BTW, that was just a simple example. It was the first one that popped in my mind. .-.[DOUBLEPOST=1398544104][/DOUBLEPOST]

And what would the idea of magic mods be? I didn't get what you said...
What would happen is if you make it so power can be converted from mod to mod what happened with tech mods would happen. All alike power generation being used to just double your ores then grab some electric tools and a jetpack along the way. The only mods that haven't fully done this yet are gregtech and mariculture.