Tech mod balancing != magic.But there loads of mods that already to that. Thermal Expansion removes the challenge pumping oil, refining it and using engines and pipes to power machines from Buildcraft with its simple magmatic dynamos and redstone conduits.
And even if a "Universal Magic Energy" mod came out, who says it should be easy? It's magic, for Pete's sake! You don't need to make it easy to convert from one to another. You just need to make sense, even if it turns out to be a Gregtech sort of mod. For example, converting Ars Magica to Witchery. I'd do something like:
1. Build an 8x8 of Ars Magica nexi.
2. In the middle, have a converter block.
3. Surrounding the converter block and all the spaces between the nexi, there would be sigils stands with the Nature's Bounty (or something like that) sigil. The more sigils, the more efficient the conversion.
4. The converter would get essence from the nexi, scan for nearby sigils, and then it would convert the essence to Witchery energy based on the number of sigils and the type of essence used. Maybe have it consume saplings or seeds periodically, too.
5. String all that with some nice Azanor-like particles and beams and stuff, and you've got yourself a nice looking and non-OP magic converter.
Does it skip the Witchery's way of creating energy? Yes it does. But in counterweight, it abuses the other mod so that it's not that easy to create Witchery energy from it.
But in the end, it's just an idea. It may not be good, but that's why we share ideas, right? To see if we can improve them.
My tiering system in Totemic is going to be how you play music, the power is irreverent and is just a way to power it.
Witcherys power is used to both tier, and power things (with a cost of items through rites)
Magic mods are incompatible in close to every way, usually.
It wouldn't work, ever.