A magic mod with a power system ...

Pokefenn

Jul 29, 2019
But there loads of mods that already to that. Thermal Expansion removes the challenge pumping oil, refining it and using engines and pipes to power machines from Buildcraft with its simple magmatic dynamos and redstone conduits.

And even if a "Universal Magic Energy" mod came out, who says it should be easy? It's magic, for Pete's sake! You don't need to make it easy to convert from one to another. You just need to make sense, even if it turns out to be a Gregtech sort of mod. For example, converting Ars Magica to Witchery. I'd do something like:

1. Build an 8x8 of Ars Magica nexi.
2. In the middle, have a converter block.
3. Surrounding the converter block and all the spaces between the nexi, there would be sigils stands with the Nature's Bounty (or something like that) sigil. The more sigils, the more efficient the conversion.
4. The converter would get essence from the nexi, scan for nearby sigils, and then it would convert the essence to Witchery energy based on the number of sigils and the type of essence used. Maybe have it consume saplings or seeds periodically, too.
5. String all that with some nice Azanor-like particles and beams and stuff, and you've got yourself a nice looking and non-OP magic converter.

Does it skip the Witchery's way of creating energy? Yes it does. But in counterweight, it abuses the other mod so that it's not that easy to create Witchery energy from it.

But in the end, it's just an idea. It may not be good, but that's why we share ideas, right? To see if we can improve them.
Tech mod balancing != magic.
My tiering system in Totemic is going to be how you play music, the power is irreverent and is just a way to power it.
Witcherys power is used to both tier, and power things (with a cost of items through rites)
Magic mods are incompatible in close to every way, usually.
It wouldn't work, ever.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
OH GOD
I just got a horrible idea.
This, but with Arcane Scrolls support. No matter how much balancing comes in this would always break every single other magic mod. 50 Arcane Energy per Arcane Stone. A single Arcane Ore drops 1-5 Arcane Stones. You can also get it from killing hostile mobs, which means a huge passive generation of Arcane Stones simply from dropping mobs 50 blocks or whatever. Now, you may think 50 energy isn't a lot. It is. Most spells from Arcane Scrolls only cost 1-8 energy per use, only the specials cost 50 per use.This means that 8 Arcane Energy is equivalent to 500-10000 Witchery Altar power (for a reference- I don't know the power mechanics of TC4 or AM2). That seems a little OP, amirite?

All magic mods are balanced completely differently, which means this idea would break just about every single one.

edit:
And converting magic power to electricity is more balanced than converting magic to magic.
IMO magic and tech power systems should always be entirely different and separate.

Reactions: Padfoote

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
OH GOD
I just got a horrible idea.
This, but with Arcane Scrolls support. No matter how much balancing comes in this would always break every single other magic mod. 50 Arcane Energy per Arcane Stone. A single Arcane Ore drops 1-5 Arcane Stones. You can also get it from killing hostile mobs, which means a huge passive generation of Arcane Stones simply from dropping mobs 50 blocks or whatever. Now, you may think 50 energy isn't a lot. It is. Most spells from Arcane Scrolls only cost 1-8 energy per use, only the specials cost 50 per use.This means that 8 Arcane Energy is equivalent to 500-10000 Witchery Altar power (for a reference- I don't know the power mechanics of TC4 or AM2). That seems a little OP, amirite?

All magic mods are balanced completely differently, which means this idea would break just about every single one.

To add onto this, this entire power system (when large enough) would be able to fuel everything from Blood Magic. At the same time. So regeneration, lava gen, water gen, massively increased crop growth, summoning of meteors (infinite materials), infinite power gen, and so on. So a "universal magic power system" would murder all balance that has been built into any magic mod.

IMO magic and tech power systems should always be entirely different and separate.

Absolutely agree.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
To add onto this, this entire power system (when large enough) would be able to fuel everything from Blood Magic. At the same time. So regeneration, lava gen, water gen, massively increased crop growth, summoning of meteors (infinite materials), infinite power gen, and so on. So a "universal magic power system" would murder all balance that has been built into any magic mod.
(bolded the part I'm talking about)
It doesn't need to be large. You just go mining for a little bit and you have a full Arcane Pouch (the thing used to store Arcane Energy, it can hold 100,000AE at a time). When I played Magic World 2 I always had at least 40,000AE on me at all times, and I used it constantly.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
(bolded the part I'm talking about)
It doesn't need to be large. You just go mining for a little bit and you have a full Arcane Pouch (the thing used to store Arcane Energy, it can hold 100,000AE at a time). When I played Magic World 2 I always had at least 40,000AE on me at all times, and I used it constantly.

See, that I didn't know. That just reinforces how unbalanced this entire system would be.

Agreed but I am just saying magic to magic conversion is very very overpowered and would wreck the whole game.

Absolutely agree here as well.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
See, that I didn't know. That just reinforces how unbalanced this entire system would be.
You only need 2,000 Arcane Stones to fill an Arcane Pouch, which is about 31 stacks- and when you get up to 5 stones per ore, and get them from fighting off mobs, that becomes a bit of a problem.

Now, Arcane Scrolls is perfectly balanced imo, but if you could convert AE to other power, it would be entirely broken.

1SDAN

Jul 29, 2019
But you are all forgetting, adding a universal energy system for magic means that 50 vis is not nessesarily equal to 50 LP. There would be balancing in regards to the generation of power. Plus if you REALLY want to talk about OP mods, EE. Cobble Generator + Minum Shard + Wither Auto Miner = EE Only Diamond generator.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
There would be balancing in regards to the generation of power.

Okay, then let's ignore the "power" part of Blood Magic completely and assume it's being handled by this mythical "perfect power system for magic". That will completely eliminate the need to go into the required self-sacrifice at the start. Which means you can blast through the mod like it's nothing and get the best gear from it all because you went into, let's say TC4, first. Magic mods aren't just balanced around a "power system", they're all balanced around different factors. Making even one of those a universal system breaks the balance of the rest.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
But you are all forgetting, adding a universal energy system for magic means that 50 vis is not nessesarily equal to 50 LP. There would be balancing in regards to the generation of power.
It's not numerical, and it would be based on the use of the power, not generation.
For example: a Witchery rite can cost anywhere from 0-10,000 power, but an Arcane Scrolls spell can cost 1-20 power, or for the special ones 50. That means a single Arcane Stone could power an entire rite, which is considered unbalanced.

Witchery might not be a good example, as it's power is ridiculously easy to get, but these are the magic mods I know best.

And like @Padfoote said, magic mods aren't balanced around power systems, typically (Arcane Scrolls is). Magic energy is just something to power the tools, not something the mods are based around.

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
But you are all forgetting, adding a universal energy system for magic means that 50 vis is not nessesarily equal to 50 LP. There would be balancing in regards to the generation of power. Plus if you REALLY want to talk about OP mods, EE. Cobble Generator + Minum Shard + Wither Auto Miner = EE Only Diamond generator.
Say we do have a mod that mixes magics with other magics. How does the conversion of mana -> vis work? there are 50ish types of vis and 3 types of mana. And is that even useful? Vis is only good for wands, it's not really energy. And you can't transfer other magic energy to essentia either as essentia is practically liquid materials. It just doesn't work. Tech energy is always energy, magic energy varies in what it's generated by and how it works.

1SDAN

Jul 29, 2019
Say we do have a mod that mixes magics with other magics. How does the conversion of mana -> vis work? there are 50ish types of vis and 3 types of mana. And is that even useful? Vis is only good for wands, it's not really energy. And you can't transfer other magic energy to essentia either as essentia is practically liquid materials. It just doesn't work. Tech energy is always energy, magic energy varies in what it's generated by and how it works.

Okay true, but the guy is talking about consolidating all types of magic into only one type IIRC. Had he been talking about a magical energy converter mod, then that would just be simple Equivalent Exchange (the idea, not the mod)

About HOW to convert it all... Beats me! XD

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Okay true, but the guy is talking about consolidating all types of magic into only one type IIRC. Had he been talking about a magical energy converter mod, then that would just be simple Equivalent Exchange (the idea, not the mod)

About HOW to convert it all... Beats me! XD
It's the same thing
Whether it's a Power Converters like thing, or a UE like thing, you'd still run itno the exact same problems.

1SDAN

Jul 29, 2019
Okay, I know it's near impossible, the topic of this thread was that from the start! I was simply stating that if we are doing a "What If" thing here, we should at least remember the situation. /myJobisDone

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
True, but you have to admit that, in some strange alternate reality where it would work and not be OP, that it'd be awesome

I personally don't think so. I don't want a single power system for everything; that gets old very fast. I'd rather build several massive systems for everything than a single system for all magic (or tech) mods.

Dylan4ever

Jul 29, 2019
True, but you have to admit that, in some strange alternate reality where it would work and not be OP, that it'd be awesome

No. Magic mods will NEVER work together like that. Essentia is different from LP. Altar power is different from... that AM2 stuff. Completely different concepts. Entirely. So, no. It wouldn't be awesome. I like mod compatibility, not mod fuckallthethingsity.