[1.7.10] TolkienCraft II - Adventure Awaits! - v2.9.5[QUESTS][ADVENTURE][NORMAL MODE]

Vals NoisyToys

Jul 29, 2019
hey does anyone know how i get the blacksmith to re-spawn. i dont know where he went.
Q: <Insert NPC Name> Is missing/dead still/etc! What do I do?

A: As the startup screen says, some NPC’s sleep at night. Is it night time? If no, then this can sometimes happen. The NPC’s are configured to respawn after an hour, but for whatever reason that sometimes does not happen. Restore the region files from the template world (or the world download) to restore the NPC’s that are missing/dead.

For more FAQ see: http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/49849/page-103#post-870608

wrongcoder

Jul 29, 2019
Well, the queen killed me again, and about 1/4 of my items dropped to the ground while the other 3/4 just vanished. Come to think of it, the other two times I didn't have a grave spawn properly, I was in the graveyard then, too. Be careful, people: grave robbers are at work!

wrongcoder

Jul 29, 2019
Looks like I broke the server. Timed out while generating chunks. When this happened on my private server, I fired up jvisualvm and found that the cause was split between not using the JIT and waiting on disk. I think some tuning is needed here. Let me know if you want help with that. I run Java application servers for a living so I've got a fair grasp on how to make the JVM work well.

On a 5 GB VM, this is what I'm using now. For my server, the key was using tiered compilation (repeatedly recompiling bytecode to improve performance over time), increasing the code cache (so that the JIT doesn't turn itself off after juggling too many hot methods), and using most of the heap as newgen because this application makes an absolute ton of short-lived objects. Skip the four jmxremote arguments if you're not planning to connect in to the JVM management interface.

Code:
"$JAVA_HOME"/bin/java \
-Dfml.queryResult=confirm \
-Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true \
-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote=true \
-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.port=25564 \
-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.authenticate=false \
-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.ssl=false \
-Xms4096M -Xmx4096M \
-XX:NewSize=2560M \
-XX:MaxPermSize=256M \
-XX:ReservedCodeCacheSize=128M \
-XX:MaxGCPauseMillis=10 \
-XX:GCPauseIntervalMillis=40 \
-XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC \
-XX:+UseCodeCacheFlushing \
-XX:+TieredCompilation \
-XX:+AlwaysPreTouch \
-jar TolkienCraftII_server.jar nogui

Last edited:

Wiremash

Jul 29, 2019
Looks like I broke the server. Timed out while generating chunks. When this happened on my private server, I fired up jvisualvm and found that the cause was split between not using the JIT and waiting on disk. I think some tuning is needed here. Let me know if you want help with that. I run Java application servers for a living so I've got a fair grasp on how to make the JVM work well.

Any clues on how to prevent timing out on servers? Tried putting 5G on a private server but when traveling through middle-earth it times out and lags like mad.

eDilettante

Jul 29, 2019
Looks like the same issue @GreatOrator and @Vals NoisyToys had earlier, you're still showing as being online but the server doesn't realise it has actually crashed; from memory they were generating chunks at the time as well.

GreatOrator

Jul 29, 2019
I have more errors with the effects

This is the "Buff Power" unlock from ars magica (Haste, slowfall, swift swim, gravity well, leap) But I ended up getting Wither effect and fire eater (From brewcraft) effect instead.
Same for the combustion I mentioned earlier, also from brewcraft, I think there is some id conflict in ars magica effects or something

And the combustion is quite annoying, especially when trying to regain mana via any of the obelisk types, getting combustion and mana regen then exploding 30+ seconds later and destroying parts of my house...
I'll take a closer looks at potion id's (which should be the issue here) and see if there is a fix. I know mithion is still working on another update as well.

On a 5 GB VM, this is what I'm using now. For my server, the key was using tiered compilation (repeatedly recompiling bytecode to improve performance over time), increasing the code cache (so that the JIT doesn't turn itself off after juggling too many hot methods), and using most of the heap as newgen because this application makes an absolute ton of short-lived objects.

Code:
screen -dmS "$SCREEN_NAME" \
"$JAVA_HOME"/bin/java \
-Dfml.queryResult=confirm \
-Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true \
-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote=true \
-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.port=25564 \
-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.authenticate=false \
-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.ssl=false \
-Xms4096M -Xmx4096M \
-XX:NewSize=2560M \
-XX:MaxPermSize=256M \
-XX:ReservedCodeCacheSize=128M \
-XX:MaxGCPauseMillis=10 \
-XX:GCPauseIntervalMillis=40 \
-XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC \
-XX:+UseCodeCacheFlushing \
-XX:+TieredCompilation \
-XX:+AlwaysPreTouch \
-jar TolkienCraftII_server.jar nogui
I would suggest PM'ing Ranger to see what JVM code he is using. I know I included an argument with the server setup, but doesn't mean it is the most optimized. If you guys can come up with something more efficient I would definitely be interested as I can include the same argument with the server pack.

EDIT: Update on status of pack...As of this morning here are the current stats of this pack, remember, you guys all made this possible!

9M7aliD.png

Gamewalker

Jul 29, 2019
Hey, got another problem. I am not able to get the Archmages Blood Orb.
For the Blood Orb I need the Demon Blood Shard and as far as I know, I can only obtain this one with a bound sword?
The problem is the binding ritual doesnt give any sword and in the description there is a text with deactivted. So how to get the orb?

GreatOrator

Jul 29, 2019
Hey, got another problem. I am not able to get the Archmages Blood Orb.
For the Blood Orb I need the Demon Blood Shard and as far as I know, I can only obtain this one with a bound sword?
The problem is the binding ritual doesnt give any sword and in the description there is a text with deactivted. So how to get the orb?
Well, I would suggest reading the blood magic wiki...there is a ritual you need to perform and you will need the ability to place dusk runes. The wiki however provides more and detailed information.

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
I'll take a closer looks at potion id's (which should be the issue here) and see if there is a fix. I know mithion is still working on another update as well.

If he is still working on that you might want to mention to him that issue with AM messing with morph forms hit boxes.

I am doing the ritual, its performingm the diamon sword disappears and there is no bound sword after.

Look around. It doesn't necessarily appear right where the diamond sword was.
A magnet item might help.

Well, the queen killed me again, and about 1/4 of my items dropped to the ground while the other 3/4 just vanished. Come to think of it, the other two times I didn't have a grave spawn properly, I was in the graveyard then, too. Be careful, people: grave robbers are at work!

Why are you attacking her?

GreatOrator

Jul 29, 2019
If he is still working on that you might want to mention to him that issue with AM messing with morph forms hit boxes.

Look around. It doesn't necessarily appear right where the diamond sword was.
A magnet item might help.

Why are you attacking her?
He actually already mentioned it, supposedly it is "supposed" to be corrected with the current update.

Another thing to keep in mind, the fire and lightning can actually destroy the blood sword if you aren't careful, seen it happen several times in youtube videos.

Yeah, you have to be careful around the npcs, most of them will attack back and I specifically made it so they would hurt...a lot...

wrongcoder

Jul 29, 2019
Any clues on how to prevent timing out on servers? Tried putting 5G on a private server but when traveling through middle-earth it times out and lags like mad.

You could try the JVM arguments I added to my post. For best results, though, you'd want to tune for the specific problems you're seeing, which requires some specialized knowledge. It's not hard by any means but it does require a certain technical background. Start with http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/gc-tuning-6-140523.html, attach jconsole, attach jvisualvm, poke around, see if you can identify problems and figure out how you can sort them out. Have fun!

Tim Lane

Jul 29, 2019
I'll give this a go as well when I get home, I had the same issue with Legolas just mumbling away in elfish when I got to Middle Earth... maybe because I hadn't completed the Mage IV quest (I'd forgotten about the fix of renaming the location block) that chain of quests wasn't fully recognised yet to allow me to talk to him?
Hey there, I had this same problem and got past the renaming of the block to finish Mage Quest IV and did this before, and also am stuck with Legolas
OK, I can confirm that renaming the location block and completing Magician IV did allow me to talk to Legolas, but his dialog just keeps repeating, so I think breaking the sequence of the quest chain has meant the Middle Earth quest hasn't opened correctly for me. I'll try completing it in the correct order in my next playthrough and see how that goes, but maybe worth double-checking to make sure the location block is named correctly, this was all in my V2.3.13 single-player game.
I have run into this same issue. I am to the point where Legolas keeps repeating himself even though I completed mage quest IV before going to him. I had the quest to go to middle earth, which worked and told me to finish it with Legolas. But when I tried, the box that says "good job you finished this quest" didn't come up and he began his never ending cycle of repeating his first phrase. I already tried resetting him with the npc wand and all that jazz. Has anyone found the solution yet?

eDilettante

Jul 29, 2019
Hey there, I had this same problem and got past the renaming of the block to finish Mage Quest IV and did this before, and also am stuck with Legolas

I have run into this same issue. I am to the point where Legolas keeps repeating himself even though I completed mage quest IV before going to him. I had the quest to go to middle earth, which worked and told me to finish it with Legolas. But when I tried, the box that says "good job you finished this quest" didn't come up and he began his never ending cycle of repeating his first phrase. I already tried resetting him with the npc wand and all that jazz. Has anyone found the solution yet?

Yes, I actually finally found the solution - and meant to post this earlier...
- Legolas' dialogue 'Middle Earth 1' is set to trigger 'Middle Earth 1' rather than 'Middle Earth 2' dialogue - changing it to trigger 'Middle Earth 2' allows you to continue the conversation with Legolas and also to get the first 'Middle Earth' quest which is itself triggered by the 'Middle Earth 2' dialogue.

Last edited: