[1.7.10] TolkienCraft II - Adventure Awaits! - v2.9.5[QUESTS][ADVENTURE][NORMAL MODE]

eDilettante

Jul 29, 2019
I did something stupid and need help...I opened up the Ancient temple and read what the guy said and instead of clicking the leave conversation option, I clicked the land of fire by accident. Now I am stuck in the Nether...Anyway to get pack without losing all my stuff?
I'm assuming you don't have a dislocation orb to teleport yourself back, in which case a couple of options come to mind:
- you could die (I'm *pretty* sure gravestones work in the nether), which will respawn you back wherever you last slept, grab yourself some obsidian and a flint'n'steel and a pickaxe, and go back to the nether, grab your stuff from the gravestone, and build yourself a portal in the nether to get home again with your stuff but without any XP you may have had...
- (cheaty method) open up to LAN, enable cheats, temporarily set to gamemode 1, give yourself in some obsidian and a flint'n'steel, and thus avoid dying...

eDilettante

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry for this, I can't complete the council summons quest (I have read at least 15 pages back) I am still unsure how to reconfigure the location block, there is little information on customnpcs. I have searched the whole mage tower for the location block but I still cannot complete the quest.
I'm pretty sure the council summons quest should be working in the latest versions of the modpack without having to reconfigure the location block (it's the Mage IV quest that's still a maybe for reconfiguring the block) - you may have to leave the mage's tower and re-enter it to trigger the block recognising your character, the block is located on an inside wall just underneath the top floor, you can see it from the central shaft - it's sort of black and yellow (from memory)

Wiremash

Jul 29, 2019
I'm assuming you don't have a dislocation orb to teleport yourself back, in which case a couple of options come to mind:
- you could die (I'm *pretty* sure gravestones work in the nether), which will respawn you back wherever you last slept, grab yourself some obsidian and a flint'n'steel and a pickaxe, and go back to the nether, grab your stuff from the gravestone, and build yourself a portal in the nether to get home again with your stuff but without any XP you may have had...
- (cheaty method) open up to LAN, enable cheats, temporarily set to gamemode 1, give yourself in some obsidian and a flint'n'steel, and thus avoid dying...

I did that by accident, had to cheat my way out, when I died the gravestone instantly destroyed itself, spewing the items everywhere. I don't think they work in the nether

I'm pretty sure the council summons quest should be working in the latest versions of the modpack without having to reconfigure the location block (it's the Mage IV quest that's still a maybe for reconfiguring the block) - you may have to leave the mage's tower and re-enter it to trigger the block recognising your character, the block is located on an inside wall just underneath the top floor, you can see it from the central shaft - it's sort of black and yellow (from memory)

I did that already, I have angel wings (can fly) and I pressed myself against every wall inside the tower, any other solution?

eDilettante

Jul 29, 2019
I did that already, I have angel wings (can fly) and I pressed myself against every wall inside the tower, any other solution?

Actually I just remembered you may need to have done the Reinforcements quests with Malus before the council summons quest can be completed - have you done those? I think the council summons quest is actually just an item quest, you take the summons from Chald to Malus and that completes it - the location block below the top floor is for the first reinforcement quest, also given by Malus, to place some iron golems in the sewers to protect the town... if you've already completed that NPC quest chain (I think there's three reinforcement quests) and the council summons still isn't completing then I'm lost for ideas...

Wiremash

Jul 29, 2019
Actually I just remembered you may need to have done the Reinforcements quests with Malus before the council summons quest can be completed - have you done those? I think the council summons quest is actually just an item quest, you take the summons from Chald to Malus and that completes it - the location block below the top floor is for the first reinforcement quest, also given by Malus, to place some iron golems in the sewers to protect the town... if you've already completed that NPC quest chain (I think there's three reinforcement quests) and the council summons still isn't completing then I'm lost for ideas...
Alright, will complete the witchery quest and try again. Thank you

Can I ask about the tesseracts? I have used the key from the ancient to get to a far location (Inn keys don't work, had to get a friend on the server to tp over) I moved the tesseracts I was using in the nether to transport lava and after settling down in my new location, I realised the tesseracts won't transmit anymore, the frequency keeps flickering between 1 and 0 (I set it to 1) I tried using a different number but still doesn't work. I'm using ender tanks for now which are incredibly slow (and won't fuel my thermalilies). If the tesseracts are bugged is there any other way to transmit lava quickly?

Last edited:

Tigerlore

Jul 29, 2019
I will look into this (and so will @Brandon3055 ) but first report we've received. I have actually used it on several different pieces of draconic and wyvern items as has several other server members with no crash) A crash log would definitely be helpful here.

The blacksmith seems to get derpy sometimes, I have not been able to figure out why as everytime I check his path is correct. Easy fix is to just copy over the region files from the template folder over your existing save to restore him.

The door is an iron door with a block next to it with a keyhole, generally means a key is needed, you just have to get to that point in the quest line is all.

If you read the ancients text, he does state that he is sending you far away to start your own adventures and to speak to him when you are ready to leave. This is also why he gives you a dislocator to come back to draconis. So not sure how much more clear I can make it.

It's confusing. The Ancient says he's been waiting for a defender for ages and then he just sends you away to do your own thing? I think I get what you're trying to do with this: there comes a point in the game when the player needs to get out and make their own base. How about something like this:

You have made great progress here, Hero of Draconis, but the challenges before you will require more than our small town can provide. It is time for you to go out in the world and develop your powers far beyond what
is possible here. Prepare yourself for adventure! Use this key to be instantly teleported to a fresh new land with untapped resources where you can build the machines and magic you will need to achieve your Great Destiny. Or, you could find a place on your own to build a base. Either way is good. ;)

It's a little tongue-in-cheek but it's clear, I think. It's a fine line between mystery and confusion. Mystery is fun, confusion is miserable. It's better to err on the side of clarity. The youtuber's I've watched have all found the duplicate NPC/HQM quest lines to be confusing also.

Still, this is the best pack I've ever played; and I can't thank you enough for the work you've done with it. :)

GreatOrator

Jul 29, 2019
It's confusing. The Ancient says he's been waiting for a defender for ages and then he just sends you away to do your own thing? I think I get what you're trying to do with this: there comes a point in the game when the player needs to get out and make their own base. How about something like this:

It's a little tongue-in-cheek but it's clear, I think. It's a fine line between mystery and confusion. Mystery is fun, confusion is miserable. It's better to err on the side of clarity. The youtuber's I've watched have all found the duplicate NPC/HQM quest lines to be confusing also.

Still, this is the best pack I've ever played; and I can't thank you enough for the work you've done with it. :)
I can see where you are coming from for sure, but from all the videos I have seen, it seems very much to be the case that everyone is so used to HQM packs that customNPC's throws them off. I was pretty careful in the wording so that if you really read what is said it is not as confusing as you think.

Tigerlore

Jul 29, 2019
But people are getting confused by it. I had to track down the thread I quoted here before I understood and I had already watched Xolan do the quest. You don't think that what I wrote would make it more clear to people what they are supposed to do at that point?

GreatOrator

Jul 29, 2019
But people are getting confused by it. I had to track down the thread I quoted here before I understood and I had already watched Xolan do the quest. You don't think that what I wrote would make it more clear to people what they are supposed to do at that point?
It's not that, the dialogs for him are pretty clear what will happen - Directly copied from the ancient quest series:
Dialog - This means my lad, that I am offering you an opportunity to explore beyond your horizons.

A chance to go on your own adventures, defeat beasts and bosses on your own terms.

Are you up to the task?
Quest Completion - You have decided to take the ancient up on his offer and move to the far reaches of these lands to begin your own life of adventure.
Quest Dialog - The ancient has given you a proposition that would take you far from here. All you need to do it talk to him again to begin.

So again, it is simply a matter of reading what is there and not just looking at it.

Tigerlore

Jul 29, 2019
It's not that, the dialogs for him are pretty clear what will happen - Directly copied from the ancient quest series:

So again, it is simply a matter of reading what is there and not just looking at it.

It may have been clear in the ancient quest series, but this isn't that. People have expectations for minecraft and HQM. CustomNPC's changes that. It's brand new and people are going to need some hand-holding to get used to it. In minecraft
"begin your own life of adventure" doesn't mean anything. "Build your own base" does though. It's a matter of context. It helps to talk to the people in a language they can understand.

Gamingjg

Jul 29, 2019
Beauties of using google drive...the mod list is identical in both the client and server for 2.3.13, so if they are not correct on the launcher I will have to let watchful know so he can fix. Sounds like you have a mismatch of client and server versions though.

Well, after getting some rest I just realized what I was doing wrong AFTER deleting the whole folder on the server to do a complete reinstall. I derped hard, I forgot that this provider requires me to change the jar name to custom.jar, my previous provider didn't, so it was loading the old 2.3.12 jar not the new one.

Currently uploading the update and world backup now, takes a bit because our upload is limited to 600Kbits, while our download is 15Mbits. Woops.

Sorry to bother you guys with my noobness.

GreatOrator

Jul 29, 2019
It may have been clear in the ancient quest series, but this isn't that. People have expectations for minecraft and HQM. CustomNPC's changes that. It's brand new and people are going to need some hand-holding to get used to it. In minecraft
"begin your own life of adventure" doesn't mean anything. "Build your own base" does though. It's a matter of context. It helps to talk to the people in a language they can understand.
That may be true, except I doubt players of minecraft have not played at least one RPG which is what the context here is. The text was intended to be worded the way it is, and while I realize there may be a few who need hand-holding, that's not the basis of this pack. The inital quests that run alongside each other in the beginning do that. Matter of fact, I worked hard to avoid hand holding on purpose.

This is unplayable for me. FPS keeps dropping way too low. Odd because every other FTB pack works fine :/

(i7 3.2g / 6g ram dedicated to ftb)
Not one page back...
http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/thr...enture-normal-mode.49849/page-103#post-870608
Well, after getting some rest I just realized what I was doing wrong AFTER deleting the whole folder on the server to do a complete reinstall. I derped hard, I forgot that this provider requires me to change the jar name to custom.jar, my previous provider didn't, so it was loading the old 2.3.12 jar not the new one.

Currently uploading the update and world backup now, takes a bit because our upload is limited to 600Kbits, while our download is 15Mbits. Woops.

Sorry to bother you guys with my noobness.
Naw, just glad you figured it out!

Tigerlore

Jul 29, 2019
That may be true, except I doubt players of minecraft have not played at least one RPG which is what the context here is. The text was intended to be worded the way it is, and while I realize there may be a few who need hand-holding, that's not the basis of this pack. The inital quests that run alongside each other in the beginning do that. Matter of fact, I worked hard to avoid hand holding on purpose.

This pack is amazing and with a little editing it would be much more accessible. I keep seeing youtubers start playing this and then stop after a few episodes. It's disappointing. I hope one day you'll change your mind. I'd be glad to help out, if you were willing.

GreatOrator

Jul 29, 2019
I have watched the youtubers, all of them, and there is a common theme and it has nothing to do with the quest wording to be honest. It is entirely because they do not read, they look, but not read. It's not a matter of me changing my mind, it is a matter of people who play actually reading the very carefully crafted text provided to explain what to do. I have seen this is the case for every single youtuber I have watched. They don't read this forum topic, they don't ask questions, they don't even watch @Vals NoisyToys first day videos to see what needs to be done. All the information to make it fun and understood is out there, with minimal effort I might add. Heck, even added an FAQ because of the repeat questions. (Slowpoke did a livestream of my pack, the weekend after it was listed on the launcher by default, and guess what, he did fine).

So forgive me if I come across upset, but it is just a simple matter of reading and following directions and using a little critical thought when doing the quests and they were deliberately intended to be that way. I appreciate and am thankful you enjoy the pack, but I hope you can understand the reason for my stance on the quests in my pack.

TheRangerX

Jul 29, 2019
SERVER NEWS - 06JAN2015
  • Current Donation Status
    • Total Received - $162.86
    • Server Upkeep - $35.00/month
    • Remaining Balance - $88.34
  • Basic Server Information - NEW SERVER HOST!
    • Hosting Service Provider - GGServers.net
    • Server Stats
      • 2xE5-2670v2 CPU
      • Unlimited - RAID SSD Storage w/ FastPath (700+ MB/s read/write speeds)
      • 5GB - DDR3 ECC 1600MHz RAM
  • News
    • Changed hosting company to remove data storage limit.
    • Server version - 2.3.13
I am increasing server slot availability and will be allowing more people to join in the new few days.

For now, the current server is down while I update (1/6/15 - 1245 EST). Estimated time to come back up is 2-3 hours.

Thank you.

Flexion

Jul 29, 2019
Hey, I love the generation of structures in both the overworld and middle earth,
but I cant seem to find any normal villages? I need it for emeralds and a thaumanomicon, are there any merchants or ways to get those?

Reactions: GreatOrator