[1.7.10] TolkienCraft II - Adventure Awaits! - v2.9.5[QUESTS][ADVENTURE][NORMAL MODE]

Bill Kilmer

Jul 29, 2019
My son and I just started the Tolkiencraft 2 modpack and loving it so far. Couple of questions thought:

1) We got to middle earth but can't get back to the castle. We stand under the portal ring but nothing happens. Is there something we need to do in order to get back to the starting castle?

2) Should we build our base in middle earth or where the initial castle is? The warning from the designer of the modpack said that we shouldn't build in the regions. . . what regions? Middle earth regions? Where the castle is? This was a little unclear to me.

Thanks in advance:)

GreatOrator

Jul 29, 2019
My son and I just started the Tolkiencraft 2 modpack and loving it so far. Couple of questions thought:

1) We got to middle earth but can't get back to the castle. We stand under the portal ring but nothing happens. Is there something we need to do in order to get back to the starting castle?

2) Should we build our base in middle earth or where the initial castle is? The warning from the designer of the modpack said that we shouldn't build in the regions. . . what regions? Middle earth regions? Where the castle is? This was a little unclear to me.

Thanks in advance:)
There are default regions that come with the pack, in middle earth or the overworld, if you go out more than 1000 blocks from the spawn location you'll be fine to build. As for the protal in middle earth, you can fly into it to get back or use a dislocator.

Reactions: eDilettante

Beraias

Jul 29, 2019
I would love to play this pack, but I feel my PC is not powerful enough. I don't quite understand why. I did all the FPS adjustments that were mentioned and am running fastcraft / optifine. I only have a 2.4 ghz i7, but I have a gtx 765m graphics card. This is usually enough to run a shader on playable fps with some modpacks. This one though, in the town I am getting drops in fps to less than 30 and a lot of stuttering. I just crashed as well, not sure why...
i am REALLY glad I am not the only one suffering these FPS issues..

one thing you must remember about minecraft, it does not use your graphics card it only uses CPU, that being said, there is something with the FTB and a couple mod packs, (not all of them) that causes major FPS issues, since you have tried everything in the read me you might try MultiMC and tell it in its options to "monitor ftb instances" that solved my fps issues and i get 50+ with it

I'd love to knwo why that is.. and I tried MultiMC.. same stuttering, and now part of thew orld doesn't load in no matter what I do, and I can see a sewer below the town.. o_O

crusaderkvw

Jul 29, 2019
starting playing this pack yesterday via the FTB launcher. do have some questions however:
- how do you get to questline(HQM) 2: the investigation?
- what do i do with all my peridot etc. in this modpack, since you can't make any (working)tools out of them anymore.
-what do you guys recommend: setting up home in middle-earth or in the overworld?
- what is up with these new mining tiers? how does this system work?

thanks in advance :)

GreatOrator

Jul 29, 2019
starting playing this pack yesterday via the FTB launcher. do have some questions however:
- what do i do with all my peridot etc. in this modpack, since you can't make any (working)tools out of them anymore.
-what do you guys recommend: setting up home in middle-earth or in the overworld?

You have to be far enough along (killed ephalba already) before that line opens up

Make decorative blocks out of it

Middle-earth - Mordor

ZephyrWindSpirit

Jul 29, 2019
forgive my ignorance o great lord :p, but who is ephalba? :p
Here's a hint. -familiar cackle-

- what is up with these new mining tiers? how does this system work?

Peridot can be used to make swords. Thats what my partner did. I think the sickles work too. Artifice ones are cheaper, but these just look like a raptor's claw.

Edit:
I'm not quite sure which quests need to be done in order to open up the hqm quest for killing the troll. Its rather difficult to figure out what opens what.

Last edited:

GreatOrator

Jul 29, 2019
Here's a hint. -familiar cackle-

Peridot can be used to make swords. Thats what my partner did. I think the sickles work too. Artifice ones are cheaper, but these just look like a raptor's claw.

Edit:
I'm not quite sure which quests need to be done in order to open up the hqm quest for killing the troll. Its rather difficult to figure out what opens what.
You have to approach the troll from the right direction to activate the quest.
forgive my ignorance o great lord :p, but who is ephalba? :p
Witch

GreatOrator

Jul 29, 2019
yeah bout that troll.... any hints for direcions? a cave nearby aint really precise you know

LOVE the pack btw :)
Sometimes I get the thought that hqm merged with custom NPCs is testing a players ability to read and/or follow a vague treasure map.
Well, the troll is in the dungeon, which should be easy to find, but basically coming in the front door to tyltran is basically the point to trigger the book, and yes, I made a lot of it that way on purpose...lol

Teraphina

Jul 29, 2019
yeah bout that troll.... any hints for direcions? a cave nearby aint really precise you know

LOVE the pack btw :)

go into the "L" (default key) button quest log, find the troll quest and hit the info button on the quest, it says something like a dungeon near by. i made the same mistake my first time also, i actually flew around for 3 hours looking for a "cave" when it was littlerally right under my nose, oh and dont be afraid to take a leap of faith when you get there, just watch where you land.

iRwise

Jul 29, 2019
i am REALLY glad I am not the only one suffering these FPS issues..

I'd love to knwo why that is.. and I tried MultiMC.. same stuttering, and now part of thew orld doesn't load in no matter what I do, and I can see a sewer below the town.. o_O

I figured it out now. I was having problems before and now my pack runs very smoothly. A little stuttering in the main town, but overall much better.

So for starters, I did switch to MultiMC.

Make sure you have the newest version of Optifine. Which is version B4. That will fix the part of the world not loading. It is a certain block type that isn't loading with the other optifine.

Be sure you installed fastcraft. That helps a lot.
and last, just tweak your optifine settings a bit. I was able to boost mine back up after switching to MultiMC.

I also did the Nvidia control center thing I saw earlier in the forum. Not sure if it helped, but I did it.

GreatOrator

Jul 29, 2019
  • v2.3.8 - Forge Update!
    • Mods Updated
      • Forge
      • CoFH Core
      • CoFHLib
      • Blood Magic
      • Botania
      • Draconic Evolution
      • Extra Cells
      • JABBA
      • Redstone Arsenal
      • Thermal Expansion
      • Thermal Foundation
      • Tinker's Construct
      • Traveller's Gear
  • This update includes the much talked about forge fix that should help with terrain lag!
  • Tweaked a few more configs to try to figure out the hunger issue upon respawn
As a side note...thanks to all the wonderful people who helped to get this pack to where it is with ideas and bugs, the pack being listed is awesome! I have you guys to thank for that! As of this posting, this pack is at 15k downloads...that's over 10k downloads in just a few days!

crusaderkvw

Jul 29, 2019
go into the "L" (default key) button quest log, find the troll quest and hit the info button on the quest, it says something like a dungeon near by. i made the same mistake my first time also, i actually flew around for 3 hours looking for a "cave" when it was littlerally right under my nose, oh and dont be afraid to take a leap of faith when you get there, just watch where you land.
Well, the troll is in the dungeon, which should be easy to find, but basically coming in the front door to tyltran is basically the point to trigger the book, and yes, I made a lot of it that way on purpose...lol

found it, got killed several times trying to do it the way i guess it was to supposed to be done(going from level to level) then decided to take the leap of faith :p. finally killed him, with just a few points of durability on my sword left.
thoughest dungeon ever :). this was a real challenge :D