[1.7.10] Regrowth - A WIP HQM pack - Now Listed!

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

OniyaMCD

Mar 30, 2015
Barrels with hopper upgrades? You use them as pipes?
Gonna need a diagram here im not sure what you mean.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Sounds like your basic 'hopper chain' from vanilla Minecraft, only using the Jabba hopper-barrels instead.

Machine with output feeds into the barrel, barrel dispenses into thing that needs material.

Mordenkainen

Jul 29, 2019
Sounds like your basic 'hopper chain' from vanilla Minecraft, only using the Jabba hopper-barrels instead.

Machine with output feeds into the barrel, barrel dispenses into thing that needs material.
Correct, except unlike hoppers, this can have any side be input or output, can have multiple inputs and outputs, and has a 64 stack built in buffer.

MadTinkerer

Jul 29, 2019
Correct, except unlike hoppers, this can have any side be input or output, can have multiple inputs and outputs, and has a 64 stack built in buffer.

Honestly, it's only really useful if you want to push items in the up direction, otherwise it's a waste of resources when a chain of hoppers will suffice. Just put one jabba barrel in the chain and you have your buffer.

I personally use it just for pushing items to auto crafting tables and pulling them out. I can make both barrels b-space barrels fed from a farm and consumed elsewhere, so it saves space. Using them as pipes... well, I think you're a strange one ;)

Mordenkainen

Jul 29, 2019
Honestly, it's only really useful if you want to push items in the up direction, otherwise it's a waste of resources when a chain of hoppers will suffice. Just put one jabba barrel in the chain and you have your buffer.

I personally use it just for pushing items to auto crafting tables and pulling them out. I can make both barrels b-space barrels fed from a farm and consumed elsewhere, so it saves space. Using them as pipes... well, I think you're a strange one ;)

Well, I wont deny I'm strange... But there is no "waste of resources" in regrowth, it is all infinite.

Its also useful if you need to "lmport" from any side other than the bottom of a block, something a hopper simply can't do.

Finally, it gives you import, export, filter, and the ability to enderlink in a single block, where the setup you describe requires 2-3 at least. (And filtering is just not possible)

MadTinkerer

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I wont deny I'm strange... But there is no "waste of resources" in regrowth, it is all infinite.

Its also useful if you need to "lmport" from any side other than the bottom of a block, something a hopper simply can't do.

Finally, it gives you import, export, filter, and the ability to enderlink in a single block, where the setup you describe requires 2-3 at least. (And filtering is just not possible)

Eh? I don't really get your point. Everything you listed is done better by other mods in the pack and if you're saying not wasting resources is a concern because you've got farm automation going... then shouldn't you have access to those other mods by then as well?

I get that you like it, and I even concede that there are some real useful parts of the item import feature on the jabba barrels, but if you're trying to argue that using them for a piping network is somehow... I dunno, something other than just a curiosity, then you've got a long road ahead of you ;)

Heck, you could accomplish exactly the same thing with storage drawers, trim and vanilla hoppers (or your beloved jabba hopper facades). In fact, it'd be more efficient to use trim to span long distances because not only is it cheaper, it's kinder on your computer/server as well.

Mordenkainen

Jul 29, 2019
Not talking about long distances or as a piping network. As I said in an earlier post "a block".

It is a useful alternative for wooden pipes in the fairly early game since it will never spew items all over the place, and can filter items (a single item only) like an emerald pipe long before you have access to emeralds. It is also avail before you have redstone, as is needed to do what you are talking about with storage drawers. This is a way to get some reliable automation prior to redstone, gates, emeralds, steel, osmium, etc... which are needed to access the "better" alternatives.

Look at the example I gave. Sure, I could use a wooden pipe there with a wooden engine and a lever... but lets see... now it's 3 blocks, does not buffer anything, once all the destinations fill will dump item entities to the ground. Less than ideal.

This is a modpack that can be slow to develop. Any trick that can enable automation earlier is potentially useful. You may not think so, but hey, to each thier own.

Last edited:
Reactions: Draconicrose

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
What exactly does this "trim" do? I saw it while looking up drawers but not sure what it does?

thephoenixlodge

Jul 29, 2019
What exactly does this "trim" do? I saw it while looking up drawers but not sure what it does?

It's like a dummy drawer - its used for linking drawers to controllers without having to have actual drawers along the whole path. Particularly useful in the situation where you're wall of drawers turns a corner, as you can just stick a block of trim in the corner to link them rather than having an extra, not seen drawer.

Regarding the update, I'm a bit busy at the moment, but my current expectation is that I'll probably finish it up and release it next week sometime.

RehabOholic

Jul 29, 2019
Well I find something really cool!! I new that Garden/mod had pots from the quest, but didn't realize all the other stuff that mod has. Mainly the lighting. Candelabras, and chains that you can hang a ring from and add candles to. Or Garden Lamps you can place different items in, Torch, Glowstone, candle, etc.. I am in the process of switching out all the ugly torches in my buildings:)

I think the slave is a cheaper controller, but you have to have a controller in the network of draws for it to work. I think? http://mods.curse.com/mc-mods/minecraft/223852-storage-drawers

This has info that I found helpful and even a few things I didn't know that mod had/could do.

Last edited:

Mordenkainen

Jul 29, 2019
Ok now I wonder what the purpose of the controller slave is...
Because I thought that was the slaves intended purpose was.

To give you additional blocks you can use like the controller. The slaves function just like a controller other than that they need a controller in the same drawer network to function.

Last edited:

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Ok so IO can't be handled by this trim. The controller/ slave things would be needed at the input end.
So some neat early game automation would be hoppers/hopper barrels feeding in to a drawer controller with a line of trim touching your drawer network.
Hoping I put my farm hatches on the bottom of the multifarm now.

Mordenkainen

Jul 29, 2019
Ok so IO can't be handled by this trim. The controller/ slave things would be needed at the input end.
So some neat early game automation would be hoppers/hopper barrels feeding in to a drawer controller with a line of trim touching your drawer network.
Hoping I put my farm hatches on the bottom of the multifarm now.

IIRC the drawer controller only has a range of 12 blocks or so. Any drawer outside of that range is not part of the network.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
I may have to move my drawer network. Or put up with BC pipes because my essence storage is like 20 blocks away from my multifarm.

RehabOholic

Jul 29, 2019
The Drum of the Wild is not making any sense to me! I have one set above a 5x5 coal essence farm with a pulse mana spreader getting a signal every 2 mins and the drops getting picked up by a hopper hock. The drum is getting ever plant each time and everything is good. Now, I have the same setup over a section of random 3x3 crops and it sometimes gets 3 to 10 random crops, but sometimes gets none. I just doesn't make any sense..

Mordenkainen

Jul 29, 2019
Um, it doesnt work. The author of agricraft found a bug with his interface to it, but AFAIK a build with the fix doesnt exist yet.

RehabOholic

Jul 29, 2019
Um, it doesnt work. The author of agricraft found a bug with his interface to it, but AFAIK a build with the fix doesnt exist yet.

That's one strange bug. It works great with the coal farm, but not the others. Or I should say it does and doesn't, because it will knock a few off here and there. I wonder if the coal farm works cause its underground, and the other is above? I don't know, like I said strange bug. Thanks

Mordenkainen

Jul 29, 2019
That's one strange bug. It works great with the coal farm, but not the others. Or I should say it does and doesn't, because it will knock a few off here and there. I wonder if the coal farm works cause its underground, and the other is above? I don't know, like I said strange bug. Thanks
From what I was reading agricraft is supposed to return a list of "potential" harvests to the drum, then the drum tells agricraft what got harvested. Agricraft was always providing the same list, so would get to a point where all crops selected by the drum were already harvested, so nothing more would get harvested.

Note: I did not look at the code, that was my interpretation of the discussions in the issues for this.

Edit - actually it looks like Agricraft 1.5.0 has a fix for this in it.

Last edited:
Reactions: RehabOholic

RehabOholic

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a BC pipes that is faster than the Wooden Transport pipe? I am trying to pull items from a chest and it is slow and backs up.

Thanks. I just tried an emerald pipe, and it doesn't seem to work with a gate set to pulse. I placed 3 gates on a wooden pipe and it sped up a good bit. I would have to redo a great deal in order to fit engines in, so this seems to be ok for now, at least until I can craft Mek pipes. I really miss EnderIO conduits.. It's just nice to keep things nice and neat.lol Thanks again for the help.

Last edited: