[1.7.10] Regrowth - A WIP HQM pack - Now Listed!

Vonsch

Jul 29, 2019
Is that where you spawned? From your map, it looks like it would have been hard to get resources at the start.

No, I ran a ways from spawn looking for an island. I'd guess about 1500 blocks or so. I planned to build some sort of ocean base this world. Shore isn't that far off, and I did cut some stairs down for stone, soil and sand. Clay, on the other hand, was plentiful, for once. All the island around tended to have some in the shallow water around them. Also lots of oysters around. I stopped gathering them at 20. Monster loot is pretty rare though. Not much comes my way beyond the occasional fallen knights that homes in from one of the close islands.

At first wood was tough because just not much room for trees (unless I want to dive for the planks...). Then I lucked into a fir sapling. Those 2x2 fir trees are about 2.5 stacks of wood and saplings each! Limited room has kept my farms small too. Since I am mostly working up to 10 seeds, I just have a couple rows of actual production farms and I rotate in and out what I need. Only things automated at all are the chicken coop (standing on it) and the smeltery. Try to not accumulate too much junk until I move to my actual base location. Moving can be painful.

Wish someone would mod in a sea anchor for boats. I am forever chasing them. Then they get stuck somewhere and won't come loose or break. Bleh. At least my little dock doesn't bug them out. Shorelinhe disembarks usually means the boat goes shooting off either forwards or backwards and if it crashes into something, it's time to break out a new one or swim home.

What I need is a frames-based cargo ship. :p

Reactions: JustHeyo

ToxicFallenAngel

Jul 29, 2019
No, I ran a ways from spawn looking for an island. I'd guess about 1500 blocks or so. I planned to build some sort of ocean base this world. Shore isn't that far off, and I did cut some stairs down for stone, soil and sand. Clay, on the other hand, was plentiful, for once. All the island around tended to have some in the shallow water around them. Also lots of oysters around. I stopped gathering them at 20. Monster loot is pretty rare though. Not much comes my way beyond the occasional fallen knights that homes in from one of the close islands.

At first wood was tough because just not much room for trees (unless I want to dive for the planks...). Then I lucked into a fir sapling. Those 2x2 fir trees are about 2.5 stacks of wood and saplings each! Limited room has kept my farms small too. Since I am mostly working up to 10 seeds, I just have a couple rows of actual production farms and I rotate in and out what I need. Only things automated at all are the chicken coop (standing on it) and the smeltery. Try to not accumulate too much junk until I move to my actual base location. Moving can be painful.

Wish someone would mod in a sea anchor for boats. I am forever chasing them. Then they get stuck somewhere and won't come loose or break. Bleh. At least my little dock doesn't bug them out. Shorelinhe disembarks usually means the boat goes shooting off either forwards or backwards and if it crashes into something, it's time to break out a new one or swim home.

What I need is a frames-based cargo ship. :p
If you've got aluminum, the speed boat from mariculture is awesome. Much faster and you only need one. :p

Ouroboros

Jul 29, 2019
Having a bit of trouble the saplings wont grow

Ya know what? I honestly don't think I can be sufficiently sarcastic enough for this. Someone else handle this (or don't, I'd support that, too)? I just really don't feel like trying to explain patience or vanilla mechanics on a modpack thread.

Vonsch

Jul 29, 2019
If you've got aluminum, the speed boat from mariculture is awesome. Much faster and you only need one. :p

Oh! Thanks for the reminder. I know I have seen that, but haven't ever built one. Aluminum seeds are done to 10-10-10, so that is no issue (unlike diamonds... don't really want to plop a cow pen on this little island.)

edmc7A2.png

Last edited:

Vonsch

Jul 29, 2019

I have noted... no empirical testing, mind you... that some species of trees don't do so well some some biomes. If you are in wasteland (as is pretty likely in this mod), you might want to stick to oak and acacia for reasonably fast growth. I think jungle trees have issues, at least mine have. They grow slowly, and seem really skimpy on saplings. Birch may be okay. Not my favorite tree so haven't planted a lot here. Spruce was okay. Away from the vanilla trees you are more likely to run into biome dependency. The only way this mod affects things is that most of the world is one of two biomes: wasteland or ocean. Shorelines are beach. There are occasional eerie spots.

Eyrion

Jul 29, 2019

Don't pay attention to Ouroboros, he/she chooses to post hate and mock you instead of ignore.

What saplings, some require you to place them in a 2x2 pattern. I'm clueless on most of the mods, but I expect some saplings require special treatment to grow. Check your books or Google "How to grow (sapling name)".

Saplings can grow into trees when placed ondirt, podzol or a grass block. Oak, birch, and (normal) spruce can also grow on farmland, and 2×2 trees only check for dirt or grass under the northwestern-most sapling. The sapling requires a light level of at least 9, and require a certain amount of space around the sapling, based on its type:

• Oak needs at least 5 spaces above
  • Birch needs at least 6 spaces above
  • Spruce needs at least 7 spaces above when placing a single sapling
    • Giant spruce needs at least 16 spaces above when placed in a 2×2 square
  • Jungle needs at least 7 spaces above when placing a single sapling
    • Giant jungle needs at least 13 spaces above when placed in a 2×2 square
  • Acacia needs at least 7 spaces above
  • Dark Oak needs at least 7 spaces above and must be placed in a 2×2 square
Bone meal can be used to speed up the growth of the sapling, and to grow the tree without sufficient light.

Saplings have two growth stages (with no visible difference between them) before growing into trees. When a tree is to be grown, a height is chosen and then the ground and space are checked; if the ground is bad or there is not space for the chosen height, the tree will not grow.

Reactions: JustHeyo

Duraifox

Jul 29, 2019
Ya know what? I honestly don't think I can be sufficiently sarcastic enough for this. Someone else handle this (or don't, I'd support that, too)? I just really don't feel like trying to explain patience or vanilla mechanics on a modpack thread.
ive waited over an hour and a half and my oak sapplings have not grown...

I have noted... no empirical testing, mind you... that some species of trees don't do so well some some biomes. If you are in wasteland (as is pretty likely in this mod), you might want to stick to oak and acacia for reasonably fast growth. I think jungle trees have issues, at least mine have. They grow slowly, and seem really skimpy on saplings. Birch may be okay. Not my favorite tree so haven't planted a lot here. Spruce was okay. Away from the vanilla trees you are more likely to run into biome dependency. The only way this mod affects things is that most of the world is one of two biomes: wasteland or ocean. Shorelines are beach. There are occasional eerie spots.

Yeah figured that, but the problem is that ive waited for so long now that i feel the oak saplings i have placed wont grown.

Eyrion

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah figured that, but the problem is that ive waited for so long now that i feel the oak saplings i have placed wont grown.

Point at the sapling when placed and look at the popup in the top middle if your screen, it should have info on it. If it says it's not fertile/won't grow (works on seeds, not sure on saplings) then plant it elsewhere. Plant it outside just to be safe, and clear an area so it's not obstructed.

Try to bone meal it as well.

Vonsch

Jul 29, 2019
ive waited over an hour and a half and my oak sapplings have not grown...

They do not grow fast. You can try bonemeal, but it's a bit random in how well it works. Sometimes it grows first pop, sometimes if appears to ignore a dozen.

Elmazz

Jul 29, 2019
ahhh....... i have 2 enemy mods in here :D forestry and the part of mariculture you need to breed fish for quests.
not relatable question: why doesnt dark oak grow? i put a sapling, wasted a stack of bonemeal and nothing

rivvest

Jul 29, 2019
ahhh....... i have 2 enemy mods in here :D forestry and the part of mariculture you need to breed fish for quests.
not relatable question: why doesnt dark oak grow? i put a sapling, wasted a stack of bonemeal and nothing
Dark oak requires a 2x2 of saplings.