[1.7.10]Modular Mayhem

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
He's also looking at modularity, and how well it can interact with other mods. I love RoC, and think it's an amazingly well done mod. I don't think it's a good fit because it's so very self contained. All the things done by RoC require you to do them within RoC. Reika did an awesome job ensuring you can't jump over any of the RoC progression by using other mods, which is great, but it's also a downfall. The Magnetostatic engine is basically the only way to get outside power in, and it's been smashed with the nerf bat so much it's useless unless you already have the RoC infrastructure going. And then you have to question why you're using it.

BrickVoid

Dec 2, 2012
I tried to download this modpack (the 1.14 version) from the FTB Launcher today (Christmas Day here, seasons greetings to those that celebrate them.) but I got an 'Error
downloading modpack' requester. Is something broken on FTB's launcher? Do I need to download the Recommended version first, then get the 1.14 version? Or should I try through the Curse launcher?

Cheers ...

BrickVoid

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
Recommended should be 1.14. Try again, that might be a traffic problem. If not, yeah, Curse should decidedly work.

BrickVoid

Dec 2, 2012
Recommended should be 1.14. Try again, that might be a traffic problem. If not, yeah, Curse should decidedly work.

*Phew!* Okay, definitely a traffic problem! :D

I'm going to download it and probably spend a good hour or so looking through it! :D Then I'll probably start a map, although I don't do anything serious, I mostly like to look at what's in a modpack and see what I can understand, and then go look at info for the new mods with Google or some search tool! :D

Cheers ...

BrickVoid

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
*Phew!* Okay, definitely a traffic problem! :D

I'm going to download it and probably spend a good hour or so looking through it! :D Then I'll probably start a map, although I don't do anything serious, I mostly like to look at what's in a modpack and see what I can understand, and then go look at info for the new mods with Google or some search tool! :D

Cheers ...

BrickVoid
I've linked most of the information and documentation for many of the mods in the first post.

BrickVoid

Dec 2, 2012
I've linked most of the information and documentation for many of the mods in the first post.

Thanks! I'll check them out later, maybe.

Is there any way to disable the effects of the Chromaticraft pillars other than to break a block of the structure? I did that for the first one I found, I really wish Reika would rethink having pillars that murder players without even a hint about what one's supposed to do about it generating in-world. I died twice to the first pillar, luckily I had found some Certus Quartz from AE2, so had a decent speed pick to mine the blocks with. These pillars also kill any nearby generated entities, this can generate lag in a world if some world generation algorithm accidentally allows repeated spawning of entities next to a pillar, it could cause ticking lag spikes or generate ticking error crash reports. Minecraft, by default, has to wait the five minute timer for every item dropped on the ground as an entity. I'd just like to be able to wander past a pillar and examine naturally generated terrain around it.

Whenever I enter certain biomes I get extreme lag and stuttering movement, as if Minecraft hit some sort of processing overload. Have you experienced anything similar? I'll report back if I can nail it down to any specific biomes.

My first night was without question full of creeper craters, 3-4. :D I really need to get better at finding sheep or any source of wool faster, I want the bed so as to skip the nights. Every time I start a new modpack, it seems like I have to adjust to the newness. :D

Is there any terrain generation revamp that's better than the default terrain generation planned for upcoming releases? I would prefer Biomes'o'Plenty or some other terrain generation mod, one that makes nice-looking Extreme Hills biomes or other mountainous themed biomes other than the one that the "Default" setting generates.

Cheers ...

BrickVoid

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
Nope, and you'll need the Chromaticraft pylons. The range isn't that great and you get plenty of warning to get the hell out before they zap you. You'll need to get close to one once to get an unlock (stare at the glowy bit on top, you will have to pillar up a bit, probably) but they can be otherwise avoided. I've never had a problem with them killing anything. They take 30 seconds to a minute to switch targets, so they can't kill enough of anything to cause problems.

And install Fastcraft if you haven't I don't include it by default because permissions and it is a poor idea to include stuff like that by default.

BrickVoid

Dec 2, 2012
Nope, and you'll need the Chromaticraft pylons. The range isn't that great and you get plenty of warning to get the hell out before they zap you. You'll need to get close to one once to get an unlock (stare at the glowy bit on top, you will have to pillar up a bit, probably) but they can be otherwise avoided. I've never had a problem with them killing anything. They take 30 seconds to a minute to switch targets, so they can't kill enough of anything to cause problems.

And install Fastcraft if you haven't I don't include it by default because permissions and it is a poor idea to include stuff like that by default.

I might be able to drop Fastcraft in, I'll have to check that out. I can tweak a setting here, if it's easy to find in the mod's config file or in-game menu, and if they're text files, but that's about it.

Do you think it would be okay if I also dropped in a terrain generation mod that I want to use? I can handle relatively simple stuff like biome configuration, so I don't see it being that much of a problem.

I may have to just disable Chromaticraft in the modpack, it's just too much of a hassle having weird structures that want to kill me, in my world. I just don't roll that way, if you get my meaning. Are there any special Chromaticraft integration files I'd have to modify or remove in associated mods to completely remove it?

It's not that big of a deal, and I'm tired of having to deal with mods that add in pest content, like mobs that like to kill me for no apparent reason, or can't be removed without the use of peaceful mode or a bow, arrows, and a lot of skill! I've been through Thaumcraft and other mods worldgen structures that add in rogue hostile mobs, and believe me when I say they up the difficulty scale to the point where I just give up and go past the obstruction in peaceful mode.

Cheers ...

BrickVoid

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
So, started to try out the modpack (tried to find a nice one with some new mods I don't know yet), looks really nice so far.

But of course I directly come with a question for the people who are more knowledgeable in matter overdrive:
While digging out my lil mineshaft in direction to bedrock, I stumbled over one of these mini-blackholes (of course I always stumble over stuff when I make a 'proper' way down and not just a long ladder-shaft for mining-level-shafts :( ).

Now I wonder:
- Can you somehow move them or can you only use them where they are?
(What I found while trying to figure out what I actually found there - "like a hungry node", ugh I hate hungry nodes! - I only saw people saying the teleposer of blood magic. Is that the only way?)
- If it comes to the worst and it tries to eat my mineshaft (in case I don't just decide to dig a second one... which I maybe will do) or worse it tries to eat 'me': Can you actually destroy these things?
(another thing I found no answer while looking around for infos)
you destroy the MO grav anomalies by throwing a nether star at it. it sucks it in and it destroys itself.

Reactions: Odovbold

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
You'll need a new world if you remove Chromaticraft. I would say leave it in, but watch for the color around the edge of the screen. That indicates you're getting danger close.

I love random generation sometimes. I went twenty chunks away from my base, looking for mineral veins and found nothing. I set the sample drill down directly in front of my processing area? Magnetite Vein. Containing Iron and Gold, the two things I've been sorely lacking. *eye twitch*

Last edited:

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
I might be able to drop Fastcraft in, I'll have to check that out. I can tweak a setting here, if it's easy to find in the mod's config file or in-game menu, and if they're text files, but that's about it.

Do you think it would be okay if I also dropped in a terrain generation mod that I want to use? I can handle relatively simple stuff like biome configuration, so I don't see it being that much of a problem.

I may have to just disable Chromaticraft in the modpack, it's just too much of a hassle having weird structures that want to kill me, in my world. I just don't roll that way, if you get my meaning. Are there any special Chromaticraft integration files I'd have to modify or remove in associated mods to completely remove it?

It's not that big of a deal, and I'm tired of having to deal with mods that add in pest content, like mobs that like to kill me for no apparent reason, or can't be removed without the use of peaceful mode or a bow, arrows, and a lot of skill! I've been through Thaumcraft and other mods worldgen structures that add in rogue hostile mobs, and believe me when I say they up the difficulty scale to the point where I just give up and go past the obstruction in peaceful mode.

Cheers ...

BrickVoid
Dropping in another terrain gen mod should work. ExB was mostly a convienence, since I have gotten to the point I dislike BoP. Beware of incompatibilities, Highlands may not work and RWG and ATG have not been tested.

As for Chromaticraft, you'll likely need a new world. Again, honestly, you can easily avoid them, the range is only about a 6 to 8 radius or so. The hum and screen color change should be enough of a warning. You'll also lose a lot of fun toys that are useful from the early to mid game at the very least, and more in the later stages of the game. An inventory link from your inventory back to base, amulets that give you permanent potion effects, an ore-finding pick-axe, an enchanter that lets you pick your enchants, various wands and weapons with all sorts of uses, and much, much more.

And it isn't the only dangerous mod. Matter Overdrive's gravity anomalies are more or less TC hungry nodes, Essential Craft's nodes can seriously mess you over if you hang around them without protection (and won't warn you, unlike CC), falling into oil is almost impossible to get out of, and so on. I didn't deliberately make this pack unsafe, but there are quite a few inherent dangers.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Highlands should be okay. It had no issues with the massive screwball that was monster, can't see why it'd have trouble with ModMayhem.

I've discovered... a strange mod interaction, that might only occur because I've got Railcraft installed. If I smelt Hydraulicraft Lead, or Copper, I get Steel. They grind/crush properly, but smelting gives me Railcraft Steel. What does directly smelting in the 'vanilla' version of the pack give?

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
Highlands should be okay. It had no issues with the massive screwball that was monster, can't see why it'd have trouble with ModMayhem.

I've discovered... a strange mod interaction, that might only occur because I've got Railcraft installed. If I smelt Hydraulicraft Lead, or Copper, I get Steel. They grind/crush properly, but smelting gives me Railcraft Steel. What does directly smelting in the 'vanilla' version of the pack give?
I'm not sure. If you mean the ores themselves, they shouldn't generate. My "vanilla" configs have pretty much non mod specific ores only generating through Thermal Foundation (which is *why* TF was in the pack originally).

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I've only seen one piece of Hydraulicraft Copper, and it went into a grinder. But NEI tells me if I smelt it in a furnace, or QED, it turns into steel ingots.

Oh, and before I completely forget: Merry Christmas( Insert appropriate holiday admonition here)

Last edited:

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
I've only seen one piece of Hydraulicraft Copper, and it went into a grinder. But NEI tells me if I smelt it in a furnace, or QED, it turns into steel ingots.

Oh, and before I completely forget: Merry Christmas( Insert appropriate holiday admonition here)
And a Merry Christmas to you, too. And huh, where did THAT turn up? If ore gen disabling has failed that is something I need to fix.

Edit: Just tested it in Modular Mayhem. Copper and Lead smelt into pulverized iron. Hey look, another in a long line of Hydraulicraft issues. Sigh. Good idea for a mod, but the bug testing could have been a bit more rigorous. Not fully his fault, I'm the first person to give his mod any attention.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I'm not sure. It's something like one out of the thousand or so copper ore I've dug up. (Living above 64 means you use copper for everything because you don't have much else. :p) I guess even the game gets tired of TF copper all the time. Then again, I also get the occasional Engineer's Toolbox ores as well, even though they should be overwritten. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Everything looks okay in the configs. But then again, I can't craft the sawmill, and I don't have the crusher recipe for the logs>sawdust in this latest version either. (I manually turned on the Sawmill, since I use it anyway, and Greg is the only one with a multi-block equivalent.)

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
Yeah, that update is pending. I'm currently waiting for Chromaticraft to settle down a bit before I update MM. There are a few problems I am keeping an eye on. Next week at some time.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Sweet, I'll keep an eye out. I see the problems you were running into with the Industrial hemp seeds. I finally added another power plant, since I was getting inconsistent power income.

Extra Utilities Retrieval Nodes work wonders for pulling from a farm.

Nezraddin

Jul 29, 2019
Anyone else having issues when matter-transport pipes of matter overdrive, that the matter gets "stuck" in the pipe?

I connected the pipes from the condensers side to the replicator side, after the first setup was working, after logging out and back in the next day suddenly all matter got stuck in the pipe, so it was pulled out of the decomposer but then couldn't reach the replicator. Only breaking the whole pipe and the decomposer seem to fix this problem for me. :/
Not sure if it was a "chunk-border"-issue (I had the machines in 2 chunks), which would be really bad cause I could forget the whole fusion-reactor I want to build then (the anomaly is very close to two chunk borders). Put the machines into a single chunk for now, still asking if anyone else having this problem and maybe know a fix (like some way to buffer and "force" the matter into the machines or so)

[edit]
And another question concerning matter overdrive:
Anyone knows if the mod has it's own energy-transportation, besides the batteries?

Heard that most energy-transport-ways of other mods are kinda unusable when building a fusion reactor, cause the anomaly just eats them. Hope the very old information that tesseracts are safe to use is still valid.. but wonder if the mod actually has a way in itself, which I just oversee. First time working with the mod ^^"

Last edited:

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Matter Overdrive is still a little glitchy. I know Iskandar and Lensmanoz both used buffer tanks from other mods to increase storage and keep it out of the pipes.

Best of my knowledge, Tesseracts are still utterly invincible except to the wrench, and there's no method of power transport in MO.