[1.7.10] Marooned

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
Finally got some Tin bushes to be able the Spruce seed and sieve. Now how do I get a torch? It has no crafting recipe.

You get a torch when you complete the sieve quest. When the update arrives you'll also be able to get torches from certain mob drops.

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
A furnace will power the crucible. I got my first lava by smelting cane into sugar charcoal and then smelting red sand into glass.... Until the crucible placed atop the furnace had finished melting cobblestone. It was then a simple matter of removing the furnace and using lava to heat the crucible going forward. Not sure if a slab furnace will heat the crucible.

-edit- corrected auto-correct

Clever workaround. I never considered that.

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
So is the only way to progress is to get the spruce seed? and that needing to run around and get lucky until you get the right ore bushes?

There is a certain amount of luck involved in which bushes you get when completing the Taint Nuttin' quest, but the game works in such a way that you can get quite a distance even before you complete the Ore-Inspiring quest that gives you the spruce seed.

I've even played games where I get the sieve and throw it in a chest while I concentrate on other aspects of the quest. Sometimes I decide to use my ores to make other stuff and delay completing the Ore-Inspiring quest until other more pressing matters are taken care of like making more food recipes to stave off starvation. It really depends on what materials you get to work with early game that should determine what you do first.

When the update arrives, there will be more ore berries scattered around in ruins to find and even an 'Easter Egg' hidden just below the surface for lucky adventurers to stumble upon. They're randomly generated so its a lucky dip, but then again, easter eggs are notoriously well hidden.

Pip69

Jul 29, 2019
I'm enjoying the pack, but it was a bit frustrating needing Tin and not knowing where or how to get it. Nothing in the Taint Nuttin quest mentioned about getting the bushes so when I did realize I need the metals I couldn't find how to progress until I came here. Same thing for the crucible.

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
I'm enjoying the pack, but it was a bit frustrating needing Tin and not knowing where or how to get it. Nothing in the Taint Nuttin quest mentioned about getting the bushes so when I did realize I need the metals I couldn't find how to progress until I came here. Same thing for the crucible.

Then you'll be pleased to hear that in the update, I've changed the wording in the TAINT NUTTIN quest to mention the reward bags given for completing the quest 'usually' contain Ore Berries that can be grown to get ores.

Not sure whether I've mentioned getting a crucible until after you've completed the Ore-Inspiring quest but rest assured, I'll make a point of mentioning it somewhere early in the quest so that players 'know' which quests to concentrate on to advance their game.

Thanks for the feedback, its details like the ones you've mentioned that allow me to improve the game for everyone. Its all too easy for me to neglect stuff like this unless I'm made aware of it.

EDIT: I've just gone back and added some information about crucibles to the first 'killing' quest called FIRST BLOOD. I've put it on the first page so players who actually read the quests should see it. the wording is as follows:

Clay is used to make porcelain clay which can be crafted into kitchen utensils as well crucibles that you'll find invaluable for making lava and water. Completing the Ore-Inspiring quest will increase your ability to make crucibles.

Although it might seem a bit odd talking about clay in a killing quest, I've put it here because I now give a block of clay as a reward for completing this quest. Hope this is what you had in mind as a guide.... ..and yes, the recipe will be porcelain clay in the update.

Last edited:

Pip69

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a reason we can't turn a block of iron into 9 ingots?

Edit: Some how I'd mis-placed the torch from that earlier quest and didn't remember that it was given out. I did find it later after I didn't need it anymore.
Maybe mention in the crucible quest that if you're desperate you can put it on top of a working furnace.

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a reason we can't turn a block of iron into 9 ingots?

Edit: Some how I'd mis-placed the torch from that earlier quest and didn't remember that it was given out. I did find it later after I didn't need it anymore.
Maybe mention in the crucible quest that if you're desperate you can put it on top of a working furnace.

Another mod managed to remove the ingot recipe. Elder mentioned it to me and I've re-instated it in the upcoming update, but thanks for pointing it out.

Its a good idea about mentioning placing the crucible on top of the furnace. Of course you've now given me the idea that I'll probably remove the torch reward as well. Before I'm inundated with howls of unfair, unfair, I would like to point out that with the inclusion of Special Mobs in the update, you can now get torches from Lightning Creepers [At least I think its them - either way, one of the new creepers drops torches.]

EDIT: All done. Torch reward is now just a memory, at least you won't have to worry about misplacing it in the update. I really like the idea of that 3rd optional way to use the crucible. Thanks for prompting me to think about how it can be implemented in the book.

Last edited:

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
IIRC its dark creeper (the ones with the pumpkin head) and the drop rate is fairly high

IC. I remembered afterwards that the lightning creeper actually drops redstone [I think] I've already got 12 of them and I'm still waiting for my first oreberry crop to come in. I've re-skinned all my creepers, no more pumpkin head, just an evil looking dark dude. I still get startled when the Doom creeper blows up when you kill it. Thankfully doesn't damage any blocks but is still a bit unsettling. The only one I'm really concerned about is the Gravity Creeper, at least I think its the Gravity creeper thats draws you towards it and blows up before you can usually dispatch it. Does heaps of damage. Had one spawn in my oreberry enclosure and even though I was below its feet with only a half block gap, it still decided to blow itself up when I walked past and took out my entire oreberry area and all the garden bushes growing above it. Seriously considering removing it as it seems too op for the game.

Delerium

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe I'm an idiot here, but I've been playing on the savanna map, and I can't seem to figure out how to get water at all. I see the cactus recipe but it requires a bucket which I can't make. In fact, everything seems gated behind being able to get clay, which I can't get because it never rains in the savanna to fill up the barrel. What am I missing? Also, I couldn't figure out what map to choose when I started, because they all looked exactly the same. The disclaimer book seems outdated because it mentioned a "beach" world that wasn't even in my list. Couldn't figure out what the easier map was to start.

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe I'm an idiot here, but I've been playing on the savanna map, and I can't seem to figure out how to get water at all. I see the cactus recipe but it requires a bucket which I can't make. In fact, everything seems gated behind being able to get clay, which I can't get because it never rains in the savanna to fill up the barrel. What am I missing? Also, I couldn't figure out what map to choose when I started, because they all looked exactly the same. The disclaimer book seems outdated because it mentioned a "beach" world that wasn't even in my list. Couldn't figure out what the easier map was to start.

Lets start with the Beach World. Its meant to be a ironic aspect where we started with an easy beach world and our biggest sponsor wanted to change it to a frozen world. Our producer told us to publish the book as it was because she thought she would win out. Obviously the sponsor won and the beach world was changed to a frozen world instead, but alas the book was already published. There never was an actual beach world.

The Savanna is the hardest world to play due to lack of rain. To compensate, I've spawned in regular cactus that you can find and grow. Then you use your juicer to make cactus juice that can be converted into water. Yes it takes some time to get a clay bucket, but you can make a metal one instead using either tin or aluminum ingots. I agree that it could have been worded better and in the update there are many more guiding quests that give you all this information. It is due to be released shortly. Just making sure everything is as it should be.

The Savanna actually does rain but its invisible. You should notice your world go a bit darker when its raining. You can't collect rain with your barrels and although you can go up high enough to see snow, you'll be too high to make a platform. You could of course go up to the maximum height that will still allow you to make a platform and then just use heaps of sand above the platform until you reach the snow. Placing a barrel where its snowing will fill it with water. Not something I'd recommend as you can make snow using the cactus juice balls. It is however a good idea to plant Saguaro cactus near your base as it will grow fruit during invisible rain.

The good news is if you find the Savanna too difficult for now you can always try one of the other saves. Don't forget you can also create your own game which in the current version is a Taiga biome. A good measure of the difficulty of a biome is how many layers of sand there are down to the bedrock. The less sand the easier the biome.

One more thing, you really don't need to rush into making buckets as there are other more important quests you can do that will automatically lead you towards getting buckets etc. The 'Taint Nuttin' repeatable quest is the most important quest you can do early game.

Hope this helps.........

E

Elder Sign

again, what juicer? it requires clay to make.

Also it may be easier to just farm up tin oreberries until you can make a bucket, then if you get lucky while exploring you can find an oasis with water that you can grab.

Delerium

Jul 29, 2019
I think it's the first killing quest that gives you a block of clay as a reward.
The first killing mission is "First Blood", and it doesn't give any clay as a reward.

I've done just about everything I can up to the point of needing the clay. I've done the "Taint Nuttin" quest about 3 or 4 times, but the problem is none of my gardens are spreading across plain dirt, even after days of waiting, so that's very very slow without a watering can. I am approaching the point of having enough aluminum to make a metal bucket, but that doesn't help me past the "Fluid Favour" quest requiring you to make a clay bucket. Honestly, I feel like the "Barrel of fun" quest should reward you some clay, because without it I'm crawling along, and not really enjoying the journey.

Edit: there's quite alot of things that NEED clay to progress, like the bucket, juicer, and blank patterns. I'm pretty much at a standstill without some decent quantities of it.

Also, just noticed, hunger overhaul (annoying mod) is set to 50! yet you provide the same food over and over (trail mix) in quest rewards. 50 is a bit extreme. I realize you want a challenge, but early game this feels over the top, especially since you lose hunger simply by walking.

Last edited:

PODonnell

Jul 29, 2019
You have lots of leeway initialy regarding food as for a considerable period what you eat is not counted by hunger overhaul. Yes you do need to pay attention to food and concentrate on your food supply early, but for a game designed around "desert island" survival it fits the theme. I for one find a game where I'm encouraged to eat something other than potatoes rather refressing...... but then I'm the type of player that is more likley complain because the pack gives out too many lives. I for one can't wait to get more threatening mobs.

Delerium

Jul 29, 2019
You have lots of leeway initialy regarding food as for a considerable period what you eat is not counted by hunger overhaul. Yes you do need to pay attention to food and concentrate on your food supply early, but for a game designed around "desert island" survival it fits the theme. I for one find a game where I'm encouraged to eat something other than potatoes rather refressing...... but then I'm the type of player that is more likley complain because the pack gives out too many lives. I for one can't wait to get more threatening mobs.
Exactly the opposite there. "desert island" theme would dictate that you wouldn't be picky about eating the same thing over and over, because you are trying to survive. I understand the point is to make things more "difficult" (tedious is more accurate), but it's by no means fitting the theme of a desert island survival. TBH, I put hunger overhaul in the same boat as enviromine. Difficulty through tedium. Just not my style I guess, as I hate both mods.

Edit: correction on the mod name "hunger overhaul". I meant "Spice of life"

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
Exactly the opposite there. "desert island" theme would dictate that you wouldn't be picky about eating the same thing over and over, because you are trying to survive. I understand the point is to make things more "difficult" (tedious is more accurate), but it's by no means fitting the theme of a desert island survival. TBH, I put hunger overhaul in the same boat as enviromine. Difficulty through tedium. Just not my style I guess, as I hate both mods.

Edit: correction on the mod name "hunger overhaul". I meant "Spice of life"

I can see you're having a hard time progressing. The update will fix most of the problems you're experiencing. There is water available on the planet. You just have to find it. TBH, once you get a bucket it becomes pretty easy, that's why I make it harder to get one in the first place. I hated the drinking aspect of CRASH LANDING. Not so much having to get yourself set up with water manufacture but having to continue with it through the entire game. That's why it isn't here. As for Hunger Overhaul and Spice of LIfe, they're there to create a challenge to survive through the early stages of the game. Without a challenge you might as well be playing vanilla minecraft. But I agree that having to make recipes endlessly throughout the entire game is just too tedious, same with making or endlessly gathering water, and that's why you will have an easy way to collect as much water as you need automatically later in the game, and its laid out in a quest that explains how you do it. You'll also be able to completely dispense with having to eat food if you want to play the game that way.

If you missed my earlier reply to your post I'd suggest you go back and read it, as it has some information you might be able to make use of. Personally, I'd be inclined to just start a new game using the PLAINS biome and see how you go.

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
again, what juicer? it requires clay to make.
The juicer. Yes in your version you need to get lucky to find clay in the Savanna. I'm sure I put some there somewhere. I've since changed it so you get a block of clay in the first killing quest like Elder suggested. He's been playing a Beta version of the update to make his video more relevant. I had planned on releasing it sooner than this but have had to make more adjustments than I realised.

TBH the idea of the Savanna is its meant to be the hardest to get started. In it the easiest way to get a bucket is to grow enough aluminum or tin oreberries to make one. It takes quite some time for savanna cacti to grow in sufficient quantity anyway so having a bucket too early isn't that much of an advantage.

Swat_Raptor

Jul 29, 2019
I found Clay in the chest at the top of the Clay spires filled with cave spiders, I know its more adventurous to climb the middle of the spire but those are tiny poisonous spiders so I nerd pole myself to chest height and over to the treasure.

getting water isn't so hard with the wells and fruit tree spots,

you can use your first clay to make a clay bucket and immediately make more clay (I once used all my clay to make a clay bucket and then picked up lava and had no water barrels, thus I had to start a square one again)

yea hunger overhaul + spice of life are really the best ways I've seen of adding food scarcity into the game and without food scarcity you don't really have a survival game, you have a explorer/crafting/dungeon diving game.

I quickly started wishing you could make a larger camel pack in Crash landing after the first week of a new game, instead I just changed clone bodies and bugged out the water requirement (maybe they intended to leave that bug in figuring once you made your first clone water is no longer a big issue)

thou with the changes to Mobs I think I'm going to quickly prioritize building a mob grinder for all the new gubbins from mobs.