[1.7.10] Marooned

Pip69

Jul 29, 2019
So is the only way to progress is to get the spruce seed? and that needing to run around and get lucky until you get the right ore bushes?

PODonnell

Jul 29, 2019
It shouldn't take many cycles of the 'taint nothing' quest to get at least one gold and one iron ore bush. That said there is a lot that is gated behind the spruce sieve. I for instance waited far to long initially getting the ore berry farm setup.

i miss the days when slabs made perfect de minimus oreberry farms. I haven't played for awhile and just recently discovered the updated slab lighting mechanics.

-edit- I just saw sign make a half slab berry farm..... Im not sure how I screwed mine up initially i'll have to go back and fiddle with it more.

Last edited:
E

Elder Sign

It shouldn't take many cycles of the 'taint nothing' quest to get at least one gold and one iron ore bush. That said there is a lot that is gated behind the spruce sieve. I for instance waited far to long initially getting the ore berry farm setup.

i miss the days when slabs made perfect de minimus oreberry farms. I haven't played for awhile and just recently discovered the updated slab lighting mechanics.

-edit- I just saw sign make a half slab berry farm..... Im not sure how I screwed mine up initially i'll have to go back and fiddle with it more.

The maple slab don't work for whatever reason, so what you do is grow your fruit trees and crook the leaves without a fruit under them until you get a vanilla sapling, then use slabs from that wood.

PODonnell

Jul 29, 2019
That explains why I had issues initially. There are plenty of ways to build a berry farm..... I was just scratching my head as to why such a simple design hadn't worked for me when it did for you.

In this case I just built a dugout style tunnel, exploiting the shallow bedrock to prevent spawns. little more laborious, but I would say it looks more 'natural' than using the slab lighting glitch.

Thanks for the tip, I was thinking I'd pulled some real silly noob shit to screw up that slab exploit based build.

OniyaMCD

Mar 30, 2015

Way back towards the beginning of the thread, there was something about how Maple slabs, specifically, allow light through. Any other slabs will work.

E

Elder Sign

Way back towards the beginning of the thread, there was something about how Maple slabs, specifically, allow light through. Any other slabs will work.

Well any non-natura slab works, it's how that mod treats half-slabs, they still use the old code for slabs in that they are treated as a transparent block in all regards rather than just the no suffocation damage part.

OniyaMCD

Mar 30, 2015
Well any non-natura slab works, it's how that mod treats half-slabs, they still use the old code for slabs in that they are treated as a transparent block in all regards rather than just the no suffocation damage part.

Ah, that makes sense now. I remember that glitch in old vanilla.

E

Elder Sign

Is there a best setup to get the gardens to spread?

Not too many of the same type close to each other, the best that I have found is place your garden in the middle of a 7x7 square with an agricraft sprinkler above it, failing that you can also use the watering can to speed up the spread but you will be standing there for quite a long time waiting. Only 5 of each garden type are allowed within 7 blocks if you want them to spread, so make sure that you have a lot of room, you can however stack your garden farms vertically, they only check they level just below them, equal to them and one above them, so if you leave 2 blocks distance between each level then not only will you have room to walk on the dirt but they will be far enough apart to spread still.

PODonnell

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a best setup to get the gardens to spread?
I use 9x9 plots which allows me to place one each of the gardens in the center square. These also fit well with standard farm plots buit around a central water source. This way I am fully setup to switch them to tilled soil once ive discovered/bred more conventional seed stocks. There are going to be more elaborate setups, but it works well and the spread can be sped as sprinklers and such become available.

Pip69

Jul 29, 2019
Finally got some Tin bushes to be able the Spruce seed and sieve. Now how do I get a torch? It has no crafting recipe.

PODonnell

Jul 29, 2019
Early game lighting will be candles made from beeswax or torches made with tinkers stone rods. In the real early game I tend to steal lamps from the well structures.

-edit- spelling, added lamp comment.

OniyaMCD

Mar 30, 2015
Early game lighting will be candles made from beeswax or torches made with tinkers stone rods. In the real early game I tend to steal lamps from the well structures.

-edit- spelling, added lamp comment.

The 'candle sponsor' comment in the quest book made me laugh.

E

Elder Sign

Finally got some Tin bushes to be able the Spruce seed and sieve. Now how do I get a torch? It has no crafting recipe.

To get your one and only torch for powering your crucible you'll need to keep progressing through the quest book, candles won't work sadly.

Pitaden

Jul 29, 2019
I decided to look around near my base and found what looked like a tall and thin red sand spire with cobwebs on it, but when I got close to it I crashed. Now whenever I load the world the game crashes. Is there a way for me to fix this, or is that world now useless?

PODonnell

Jul 29, 2019
A furnace will power the crucible. I got my first lava by smelting cane into sugar charcoal and then smelting red sand into glass.... Until the crucible placed atop the furnace had finished melting cobblestone. It was then a simple matter of removing the furnace and using lava to heat the crucible going forward. Not sure if a slab furnace will heat the crucible.

-edit- corrected auto-correct

E

Elder Sign

Will lava? *thinks outside the box*

Lava works fine, and I'd start with that if you were lucky enough to find some in the world, otherwise it's waiting for a torch or using the furnace method.

E

Elder Sign

I decided to look around near my base and found what looked like a tall and thin red sand spire with cobwebs on it, but when I got close to it I crashed. Now whenever I load the world the game crashes. Is there a way for me to fix this, or is that world now useless?

Can you post a crash log?

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019

Sadly the ruins do sometimes create a conflict when they are generated. It might have something to do with the sludge and sewage pools being created first and the the ruins partially generating over them. That's also the reason why some ruins have white sand. When a ruin generates partially over a pool, the red sand dropping down causes it to turn white. Its a glitch that I've been unable to do anything about.

This process somehow can also cause a memory lag or spike which triggers the crash when you approach. Its really rare and to date its stumped me as to how to overcome this problem. I'm even considering removing the mod that creates the pools and making my own instead. It all depends on what else that mod does.....