[1.7.10] Marooned

Paner

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a map that don't have wells? I hate the idea that there is a hole in bedrock you can go through, what is the point of this modpack then. :/

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a map that don't have wells? I hate the idea that there is a hole in bedrock you can go through, what is the point of this modpack then. :/
Why would you assume being able to go under the bedrock makes the modpack pointless?

Firstly, you can choose not to go underground. Secondly, if you do go underground, there isn't a lot you can do until you have leveled up enough to get higher grade tools. This means players will always have to go thru the early stages of survival to grow ores and then build a sieve and sift materials until they get advanced enough to upgrade beyond bone tools. Getting below a well isn't as simple as just dropping sand down it and then removing it. Its more involved than that and many players will struggle to easily get thru unscathed.

I've actually test played a game by going underground as soon as possible and to be honest it wasn't worth the effort and it actually took me away from the main objective which is to get to the Winners Circle.

Not all wells allow the player thru the bedrock so they'll always be taking a chance if they do try. Apart from anything else, if we put this ability in the game, its for a reason that perhaps you haven't considered.

I'd suggest you try playing the game and see how you go. If it wasn't for someone finding a way underground and posting online, you'd have been none the wiser and simply played the game your own way and enjoyed finding out its secrets on your own.

Confucius say, less reading and more doing make for a happier conclusion.

Oh, and to answer your question, there are currently no worlds with no wells, but I'll certainly consider adding some in the next update. Well, I'll add wells, but they well and truly won't let players thru the bedrock......

Cheers.......

redforest

Jul 29, 2019
Would have been playing more, but a well adventure ended me aswell... [lol] placed down a cactus fruit in a 1x1 => my grave did not exist as I didn't die in a valid location [in an un-occupied block]

Hence I lost my starter Scythe & questing book... took out all desire to continue.

Until this mod has a defined multiplayer supported method {aside from tunneling thru hamachi]// I am gonna be shelving this modpack as I want to do this with friends.

Shadow-

Jul 29, 2019
Can someone explain adding a head to a pickaxe to me? I have an Iron Pickaxe with 3 modifiers available. I have tried to add a Skeleton Skull (which says up to Iron) and an Enderman Head (which says up to Ardite.) I've tried in the crafting grid, tool station and an anvil (do I maybe need a tool forge?)

I did get a mining level upgrade when it leveled up, is that my 1 time? (Iron Pickaxe has mining level of Tin) Under Modifiers it says Moss, Reinforced I and Redstone(50/50). I guess I make a new head for it, but I'd still like to know how this works.

darthwesix

Jul 29, 2019
Can someone explain adding a head to a pickaxe to me? I have an Iron Pickaxe with 3 modifiers available. I have tried to add a Skeleton Skull (which says up to Iron) and an Enderman Head (which says up to Ardite.) I've tried in the crafting grid, tool station and an anvil (do I maybe need a tool forge?)

I did get a mining level upgrade when it leveled up, is that my 1 time? (Iron Pickaxe has mining level of Tin) Under Modifiers it says Moss, Reinforced I and Redstone(50/50). I guess I make a new head for it, but I'd still like to know how this works.
you can only upgrade a picks mining level once with out changing the head (you do it in the tool station or tool forge)

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
Would have been playing more, but a well adventure ended me aswell... [lol] placed down a cactus fruit in a 1x1 => my grave did not exist as I didn't die in a valid location [in an un-occupied block]

Hence I lost my starter Scythe & questing book... took out all desire to continue.

Until this mod has a defined multiplayer supported method {aside from tunneling thru hamachi]// I am gonna be shelving this modpack as I want to do this with friends.

Yup, rage quiting is always the best option when things don't go your way, lol. If I'd stopped playing every time a catastrophe happened to me, this modpack would never have made it to FTB.

Thankfully when something as catastrophic as losing what I was carrying happens, I think "this time I know more about the game and will try again with a slightly different approach". Hey but that's me. As for multiplayer, its already there as an option. We have no plans to create a dedicated server for multi player with our mod but would be happy if someone out there wants to come on board and provide one.

EDIT: We've tried dying on top of a cactus fruit in a confined space a number of times and every time a grave was created somewhere close by where a space could be found. One time it even destroyed the cactus and put the grave where it had been. Other times it simply put the grave on top of the cactus fruit. We think we've replicated what happened to by standing in an enclosed 2x1 space and dropping a block of sand at our feet to leave us with a 1x1 space, then putting down a cactus at our feet and promptly dying. The gravestone in this case would not spawn exactly where we died but spawned in the first available space nearby. This may have happened to you and if so I'd suggest you go back to your deathpoint and search the area for your grave. Also did the game make a 'death point' for you?

Cheers.........

Last edited:
I

ifrostyonme

Hey im beginning to have some real trouble advancing in the quest book, how do i go about unlocking Location vocation and winners circle might i enquire, Ive completed the first page, Everything done on second except day 6 and 7. And majority of the food/bushed quests done, just waiting on the one that require 40 tomatoes(excessive?!?!) and a few more bushes ones but yeah im currently back to staring at bushes waiting for them to grow -.-

cheers

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
Hey im beginning to have some real trouble advancing in the quest book, how do i go about unlocking Location vocation and winners circle might i enquire, Ive completed the first page, Everything done on second except day 6 and 7. And majority of the food/bushed quests done, just waiting on the one that require 40 tomatoes(excessive?!?!) and a few more bushes ones but yeah im currently back to staring at bushes waiting for them to grow -.-

cheers
If you take a look at the 'Pipe Down' quest you'll see a hint that lets you know which quests are required before the next section opens up. Completing the next section opens Location Vocation. Unfortunately that means completing the excessive task you're currently stuck on. Apart from growing more tomatoes, you can earn more by completing the 'Honey Swap' quest, or at least you can in the 1.1.0 update [not sure when I added that] . You can also get them in reward bags, again possibly only in the 1.1.0 update. Of course you can always continue completing the 'Taint Nuttin'' quest and choosing STALK gardens every time. I have to say I didn't personally have a problem getting enough tomatoes, but then I did have the advantage of knowing I was going to need them.

It sounds like yet another bottleneck to be ironed out. Easily fixed now that I'm aware of it. Its always a problem trying to get the balance between just hard enough without making the player wait endlessly for stuff to grow. I've just added [5] of them as rewards to the repeatable 'Twanngggg' and 'Trade 'n Save' quests which will be great once I release the 1.1.1 update that I've already started, but will be of little consolation to you right now.

I'm really sorry I didn't foresee this bottleneck as our intention is to have a game that is challenging but not stupidly so. Its really hard making it so that there aren't ever some times when the player is sitting around wondering what to do next. Thankfully I can address some of the problems like this by making updates for future players or yourself it you decide to try it again with the bugs ironed out.

Its feedback like yours that is helping me immensely to improve this modpack as it gives me another point of view which is unsullied by the knowledge that the maker of the game can't help but be influenced by.

Cheers...........

Last edited:

Nicolás Granelli

Jul 29, 2019
I played this pack extensively yesterday, and I want to share some feedback. First, the early game is brutal, is awesome, IMO is very well thought, is fun, and more importantly is different to the other packs I've been playing (and I've been playing a lot of packs). Also the way you used the harvestcraft gardens is very creative. I like that, even when they spread so slowly. All the experience felt like play vanilla with some touchs of the modded world (I even made a vanilla style cactus farm :)), and getting that felling right is really hard.

Now, the no so positive part: The quests started to feel slow as I advanced in the pack. Usually I try to not use mods that haven't been introduced in the story line (or in quests) yet, in an effort to play the pack as intended. But waiting for water to salt, and jerky to leather, etc started to bore me, plus the fact that some quests require random greens or fish to complete. So I made a cobble generator with buildcraft, a stirling generator+sag mill to process it, and I'm in the process of automating several sieves with activators. I plan to use a MFR fisher to complete that random quest (vanilla fishing is so slow). Also the smeltery seems to be crafteable (I mean, is not gated behind other mods), so I might just build one. The problem with all these is that I got the felling that in sometime quests would open asking me to do stuff I already did. In other words, I'm deviating from your idea on how the pack should be played, and I don't like to do that (at least in the first play trough). My suggestion? remove the grindy part from this stage, so the player can advance quickly, and add it to a later stage, when is actually fun to automate the process to meet requests like 1000 wheat (in this stage, and I'm using all me wheat to get more dirt).

Plus, some random suggestions:
* I miss storage drawers to organice my veggies and to convert my nuggets
* Super crafting frame is an awesome little mod, and it greatly helps with recipes requiring buckets, like paper.
* Cooking for blockheads could be a great addition. Off all the packs with harvestcraft and spice of life, this is the one I would use that cooking book more
* I can't pick up gardens (usually, that's done with right click empty hand). is this intended?
* Shift click in NEI's (?) is not working. I tried to fixed it but failed. I had the same problem, but eventually it started working. Still trying to figure out how to fix it.

Thanks for building this pack, I'm having a lot of fun :)

PS: English is not my first language, sorry if I made some mistakes, I tried hard not to.

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019

cheers

Did some research and found a way you can increase the speed your garden bushes grow. A watering can speeds up their growth. Kinda interesting because I remember thinking about whether to add the watering can as a quest right at the beginning and thinking 'ahhh I never bother with standing around using one cause its boring so why make players make something they probably won't use anyway?' I thought I'd tried it on garden bushes and it didn't speed them up. Good thing I tried again now otherwise who knows? I've just replaced the portable tank in the Fluid Flavour with a watering can in the 1.1.1 update and mentioned its use on garden bushes. You may or may not be pleased to hear that I thought using stone to make one didn't seem right so I changed it aluminum or tin. I would have used plastic but that would have taken the player too long to get if they knew about them and wanted to make one early in the quest. BTW: The recipe change has been locked in from version 1.0.0

Cheers.........

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
I played this pack extensively yesterday, and I want to share some feedback. First, the early game is brutal, is awesome, IMO is very well thought, is fun, and more importantly is different to the other packs I've been playing (and I've been playing a lot of packs). Also the way you used the harvestcraft gardens is very creative. I like that, even when they spread so slowly. All the experience felt like play vanilla with some touchs of the modded world (I even made a vanilla style cactus farm :)), and getting that felling right is really hard.

Now, the no so positive part: The quests started to feel slow as I advanced in the pack. Usually I try to not use mods that haven't been introduced in the story line (or in quests) yet, in an effort to play the pack as intended. But waiting for water to salt, and jerky to leather, etc started to bore me, plus the fact that some quests require random greens or fish to complete. So I made a cobble generator with buildcraft, a stirling generator+sag mill to process it, and I'm in the process of automating several sieves with activators. I plan to use a MFR fisher to complete that random quest (vanilla fishing is so slow). Also the smeltery seems to be crafteable (I mean, is not gated behind other mods), so I might just build one. The problem with all these is that I got the felling that in sometime quests would open asking me to do stuff I already did. In other words, I'm deviating from your idea on how the pack should be played, and I don't like to do that (at least in the first play trough). My suggestion? remove the grindy part from this stage, so the player can advance quickly, and add it to a later stage, when is actually fun to automate the process to meet requests like 1000 wheat (in this stage, and I'm using all me wheat to get more dirt).

* Super crafting frame is an awesome little mod, and it greatly helps with recipes requiring buckets, like paper.
* Cooking for blockheads could be a great addition. Off all the packs with harvestcraft and spice of life, this is the one I would use that cooking book more
* I can't pick up gardens (usually, that's done with right click empty hand). is this intended?
* Shift click in NEI's (?) is not working. I tried to fixed it but failed. I had the same problem, but eventually it started working. Still trying to figure out how to fix it.

Thanks for building this pack, I'm having a lot of fun :)

PS: English is not my first language, sorry if I made some mistakes, I tried hard not to.

Thanks for playing the pack. Let me start by saying that although it can be slow to start, there are shortcuts players can take. The idea is for them to experiment with what they are rewarded with and also to explore to find hidden rewards. You can in fact make a cobblestone generator within the first couple of days depending on what you find and whether you explore the 'ruins' carefully. Some are riskier than others but it is possible. Salt may seem difficult but its only made using water and wood and both are easy to get if only the player experiments with what they have at hand. I'd rather someone find out by experimenting than just tell them outright as in my experience it reels really great when you discover something on your own. Like I did today with watering cans working on garden bushes. I agree with the waiting for jerky to dry to make leather and I can speed up the process by reducing the time jerky takes to become leather. I was also thinking of reducing the salt required to just one per piece as it seems expensive considering monster jerky requires none and they are similar. I didn't make the recipe but I can change it.

Yes the smeltery isn't gated and I've assumed experienced players will probably make their own earlier and that's why I've made the quest so it will in most cases accept already made items so you don't have to make them again. Can't guarantee it though as sometimes the quest just refuses to accept something even when you're making it while on that quest. Nothing I can do about that, its part of the way HQM seems to work. I've already had to change many things to 'FUZZY' detection just to get them accepted.

Prior to making this game, I hadn't heard of gardens before. When I discovered them while designing the game I thought they would make a great change from the regular Pam's crops as I didn't want a game that could just add 1,000's of veggies in no time flat and ruin any sense of building towards a goal. Besides I like the idea that you never know what you're going to get when you harvest one. I did increase the qty drop to 5 to reduce the frustration of them taking so long to grow. They came with only a left click so I assumed that's the way they're meant to be.

Regular vanilla crops can still be 'right' clicked to harvest.

We've had a bit of a problem with NEI's not always working as intended. We haven't blocked anything and are working on a way to make it more stable.

Fishing is only required in tasks to get garden bushes. I might play around with one and see how it goes. I generally just make a pool when I have water and get my fish and squids that way.

EDIT: Had a play and although I haven't added it as a required quest, I have altered the 'More Gardening' quest so that it now tells the player about the fisher and how to set it up.
If you make a Fisher, supply it with energy and place it above a pool of water, it will generate Raw Fish every 45 seconds. Whack a chest on top of it or run pipes to a waiting storage unit to store the fish. The depth is irellevent but making it larger will reduce the amount of power it consumes. You might even consider making it large enough for squid to spawn in so you can easily gather more calamari and inks sacs for this quest.

I'll look into storage drawers as it could be a decent alternative to having rows of Better Barrels to store produce and minerals.

Same goes for Super Crafting or cooking for blockheads. I haven't heard of them before so am always interested in mods that can improve a game.

Cheers......

Last edited:

Nicolás Granelli

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe I didn't express myself well enough. I don't really have a problem with the actual speed of the pack. Having played (and enjoyed) regrowth, I learnt to no wait for plants to grow. Having a lot of stuff going at the same time makes you not having to wait. My problem was the "speed" of the quests. For example, the quest to craft the harvescraft armor takes a lot of time, but I don't see a problem with that. I place some water to dry, and then I go to my farms, or gather more wood, etc. When I come back, I do the same, or place the zombie flesh, or the combs. At the end I will have a nice armor, that even if I played a lot of packs with harvestcraft, never crafted. That's very good. The problem is that some quests takes lots of time, manual work and patience in a stage where you don't have any automation. For example, I have 2 quests from the first chapter, one asking for 50 coconuts and the other 50 dates. I try to harvest that from time to time, but they are slow, boring, and 50 is an arbitrary number that says nothing to me. I don't see the point of manually harvesting those trees that much, so my progress in the book lags behind my real progress in the game.
TL;DR; The pack doesn't feel slow to me, but the quests some time ask for too much too early.

Also, I played more today, unlocked the tech quests and created the smeltery. So, take my feedback only up to this stage.

Finally, the usual behaviour of gardens is to be destroyed with left click, but drop as an item with right click empy hand, as a way to collect them without cluttering you inventory. I don't see an option for that in the config file, so it may be a weird interaction with other mod. What's the one that allows to harvest vanilla crops with right click?

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe I didn't express myself well enough. I don't really have a problem with the actual speed of the pack. Having played (and enjoyed) regrowth, I learnt to no wait for plants to grow. Having a lot of stuff going at the same time makes you not having to wait. My problem was the "speed" of the quests. For example, the quest to craft the harvescraft armor takes a lot of time, but I don't see a problem with that. I place some water to dry, and then I go to my farms, or gather more wood, etc. When I come back, I do the same, or place the zombie flesh, or the combs. At the end I will have a nice armor, that even if I played a lot of packs with harvestcraft, never crafted. That's very good. The problem is that some quests takes lots of time, manual work and patience in a stage where you don't have any automation. For example, I have 2 quests from the first chapter, one asking for 50 coconuts and the other 50 dates. I try to harvest that from time to time, but they are slow, boring, and 50 is an arbitrary number that says nothing to me. I don't see the point of manually harvesting those trees that much, so my progress in the book lags behind my real progress in the game.
TL;DR; The pack doesn't feel slow to me, but the quests some time ask for too much too early.

Also, I played more today, unlocked the tech quests and created the smeltery. So, take my feedback only up to this stage.

Finally, the usual behaviour of gardens is to be destroyed with left click, but drop as an item with right click empy hand, as a way to collect them without cluttering you inventory. I don't see an option for that in the config file, so it may be a weird interaction with other mod. What's the one that allows to harvest vanilla crops with right click?

Actually I thought you nailed it with your comments. The thing for me is up until publishing I only had myself to really test the mod and naturally when you have created something, you already know what you need and how to go about getting it, even when you try playing it like a newcomer. The arbitrary number for fruit was based originally on roughly how long it took to get the garden crops. I also took into account that players can choose to quickly gather more palm fruit using bonemeal but couldn't do anything about the gardens growth. That was until today when I re-tried using a watering can and found they respond to that. I have no idea why it didn't work way back when I decided to try it out when first experimenting with them, but then I've found things don't always work the first time I try them and suddenly as if by magic they work when attempted a second time. Actually the crop challenges are really there to give you a reason for growing them in the first place. Although they open up very early on, they are basically intended as a bonus challenge to give players something to work towards while concentrating on progressing through the rest of the book. Players could easily wait until they are able to automate fruit picking and let their machines do the work for them.

As for left/right clicking crops, I believe Pam's is designed to do that with the seed based crops and trees, but not with garden bushes. I could be wrong but I did try to find a way in the config and found nothing. Also tried the other 'food' affecting configs like Hunger overhaul but no luck there too.

As for leather, I have already changed zombie jerky to use only 1 salt and the leather now takes 1/5th its original time to form. The fresh water buckets no longer require planks as I've reverted to almost the original recipe which gave 4 water [mine gives 3 on the basis that 3 water bottles would fill a bucket to 99%. I've also made a new recipe allowing a bottle of water to make a container of fresh water so players don't need a bucket to start making fresh water. Of course the bottle is returned after crafting in the same way buckets are.

I've tackled a number of things that were slowing down the progress by speeding some stuff up and changing other recipes to allow players to get stuff earlier. I've added a 'COMING SOON" spoiler on the first page to give players an idea of what changes they can expect in version 1.1.1

If you come across anything else you think needs attention, feel free to let me know. I'm always willing to listen to new points of view.

Cheers..........

Last edited:
I

ifrostyonme

A couple more small points not sure if they've already been addressed

- On the mfr quests which required the grinder harvester and planter simply making a mfr machine block would complete the quest, perhaps this has something to do with the fuzzy. This was also the same with the upgrades.
-The nether wood gathering quest, I'm on my phone so I don't have the name but the black wood in the middle. The only wood I could find with the same name was blue but was not accepted, I took this as a bug and cheated some black wood. The next quest in the line was for blue saplings. Also the red wood (bloodwood?) Would only accept 1/4 of the logs cut as they are split into separate stacks depending on what corner they are cut from.
-Myfit. I died for the first time with my Myfit on last night, built my new one and nearly cried when it had reset. Took me a good hour or two to realise the only way to reset it is to put it on your hot bar before putting it on. More of a tip for stupid people like me than a bug but yeah

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
A couple more small points not sure if they've already been addressed

- On the mfr quests which required the grinder harvester and planter simply making a mfr machine block would complete the quest, perhaps this has something to do with the fuzzy. This was also the same with the upgrades.
-The nether wood gathering quest, I'm on my phone so I don't have the name but the black wood in the middle. The only wood I could find with the same name was blue but was not accepted, I took this as a bug and cheated some black wood. The next quest in the line was for blue saplings. Also the red wood (bloodwood?) Would only accept 1/4 of the logs cut as they are split into separate stacks depending on what corner they are cut from.
-Myfit. I died for the first time with my Myfit on last night, built my new one and nearly cried when it had reset. Took me a good hour or two to realise the only way to reset it is to put it on your hot bar before putting it on. More of a tip for stupid people like me than a bug but yeah
I'll look into the MFR quests as I remember having to make them fuzzy to recognise. Didn't try using 'other machines'.

The woods you speak of [bloodwood-Darkwood-Fusewood] are available as I have found all of them from that location. I even found more stuff I hadn't during my first journey and decided to add a couple of new quests to the game as branches [like I did with cane and drying racks] so they wouldn't affect existing completed quests of players. Never had a problem with the bloodwood, will try it out though. Doubt I can do much about it though as making it fuzzy would probably let any wood be accepted. Will try though.

EDIT: I just cut down a bloodwood tree using a darksteel axe from every possible side including top and bottom and all the wood was accepted. Might be a glitch in your game.
I also tried to get a planter, grinder and harvester to accept a mfr machine block and it wouldn't allow it, even after making one in a crafting table. Again not sure what caused it to happen unless you had previously made those machines before starting the quest. In that case it might have already been triggered.

Ahh the MyFit, same thing happened to me too. I originally mentioned dying, losing it and having to reset it in the 'disclaimer' back when I gave players a choice between starting with either a MyFit or Chunky, but that version never made it here, instead you get to start with a wonderful flint tool, lol.

Don't know if you noticed but I've put in a new 'SPOILER' on the first page called 'COMING SOON'. It features changes I will be making in the 1.1.1 update. This is the problem you get when you play a modpack made by someone who is constantly thinking of new ways to do things and of course testing out mods that other players have suggested that I haven't previously heard about. Pity some of it wasn't available before you started playing as it might have saved some of the waiting around you endured.

Cheers...........

Last edited:

Shadow-

Jul 29, 2019
Since building a hang glider (no jetpack yet) I had 2 crashes while just flying around the world, (looking for snow) in areas already explored, not new terrain. The weird thing is, it crashes to the desktop closing both the game and console. Never seen that before. Might have been me, I had other things running in the backround at the time. Just thought I'd mention it.

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019

Just wanted to say thanks for letting me know about these mods. They were unfamiliar to me until you mentioned them. You'll be pleased to know they all made it onto the upcoming update. I could complain about having to add new quests to accommodate them but in truth, I love working on the book, especially when I get to add more quests to the already overflowing pages. On a sad note, I had to remove a recipe I had made for making fresh water from a bottle of water because the 'crafting book' would make endless fresh water along with empty bottles while not removing the original bottle of water. Ahh well, such is life.

Cheers.......

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
Since building a hang glider (no jetpack yet) I had 2 crashes while just flying around the world, (looking for snow) in areas already explored, not new terrain. The weird thing is, it crashes to the desktop closing both the game and console. Never seen that before. Might have been me, I had other things running in the backround at the time. Just thought I'd mention it.

Didn't you read the fist page of the Hammer Time quest? It actually tells you where to find snow. As for crashing the game. It seems this can sometimes happen when you are making it create terrain faster than normal. Flying could do this. I think it may be the sheer number of ruins I've put in it. I've also noticed that the pools of sludge and sewage scattered around appear to be made after the ruins and this is why you'll sometimes come across weird looking ruins hanging in mid air over pools. Its also the reason why you'll sometimes find white sand in the game. Its red sand that has fallen when a pool forms under it during world creation. It could also possibly cause a conflict when your moving quickly through the world and an anomaly between pools and ruins happens. Not sure why this would happen in already explored sections though.

Now go read that Hammer Time quest and find out how you get snow in this game..........

Cheers

I

ifrostyonme

What What?

2015-12-29_16.56.51.png

EDIT: I just cut down a bloodwood tree using a darksteel axe from every possible side including top and bottom and all the wood was accepted. Might be a glitch in your game.
I also tried to get a planter, grinder and harvester to accept a mfr machine block and it wouldn't allow it, even after making one in a crafting table. Again not sure what caused it to happen unless you had previously made those machines before starting the quest. In that case it might have already been triggered.

Also i was using silktouch, could have been this?

Last edited: