[1.7.10][LISTED] InfiTech 2 Modpack v3.2.21 [HQM][GregTech balanced hard-mode modpack]

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

gallowglass

Jul 29, 2019
Nothing beats an RC boiler for efficient fuel usuage over long periods of time. Once it heats up, even a pathetic 1LP boiler beats anything GT has to offer as far as I can tell.

That said, for power-on-demand, the GT Boiler suddenly shines a bit. It heats up stupidly fast and creates a correspondingly stupid amount of steam very quickly. But its fuel consumption rate is pretty alarming.

Well, you guys have convinced me. It looks like I'll be building a GT boiler in the near future.

Any hints for how to keep it from blowing up? I made a setup in creative where a liquid detector on a GT pipe senses the incoming water, when the pipe goes dry (which should mean something like >16 buckets left between the internal boiler tank and the pipe slosh) it shuts off the ender io conduit feeding fuel. I just worry about the stack of fuel (like coke) in the boiler being able to use up all of that water....

Tyriael_Soban

Jul 29, 2019
I havnt seen that issue with my steel boiler on my main world, im just using a straight 600l/s large wooden pipe from the roof of my base into the factory floor, it dosnt seem to chew through the water fast enough.
Honestly, i think it would be easier and cheaper to set up multiple steel ones than even bother with titanium and tungsten steel.

Jwebb222

Jul 29, 2019
I Know this isn't the place to suggest mods, but has there been thought into Steve's Factory Manager?

Jason McRay

Jul 29, 2019
SFM has been suggested and denied, simply because it was too easy to set up good and powerfull logistic setup.

I see a mention about charcoal production being slow. Anyone considered thaumcraft charcoal production? I think thats the fastest production.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Did they tinker with solid fuel boilers on a large scale to make them more effective?
Otherwise the only way id managed to make a large RC boiler beat the GT was in cheat mode.
Hi Tyriael

Could you explain your comparison method?

1 stack vs 1 stack will often let the GT win, but the RC boiler will eventually surpass it over time.

Tsuko

Jul 29, 2019
Thaumcraft said the charcoal transmutation is buggy though (you added this?) is it buggy?

gallowglass

Jul 29, 2019
SFM has been suggested and denied, simply because it was too easy to set up good and powerfull logistic setup.

I see a mention about charcoal production being slow. Anyone considered thaumcraft charcoal production? I think thats the fastest production.

Yeah, I have been contemplating that as well. (I think I spend more time thinking about Minecraft than I do playing it by far. All of those adult responsibilities and such leave only a few hours a few nights a week to play.)

Jason McRay

Jul 29, 2019
Thaumcraft said the charcoal transmutation is buggy though (you added this?) is it buggy?
There has been a crash with the Thaumonomicon and looking up the Charcoal production. This crash is fixed in the latest GT version (will be in pack next update). But the production itself works fine.

And no... Greg added this

Reactions: Tsuko

danieledward

Jul 29, 2019
Wonder why greg loves TC so much....I mean I know it's a fabulous mod and the author is incredibly talented. Maybe greg really like his code! :D

Tyriael_Soban

Jul 29, 2019
Hi Tyriael

Could you explain your comparison method?

1 stack vs 1 stack will often let the GT win, but the RC boiler will eventually surpass it over time.
If youve got charcoal to waste on a fully sized RC boiler getting it up to steam point, but full sized solid fuel boilers have never worked in my experiences with RC.
Hence my comment about diesel, ethanol and large boilers.

CarbonBasedGhost

Jul 29, 2019
Wonder why greg loves TC so much....I mean I know it's a fabulous mod and the author is incredibly talented. Maybe greg really like his code! :D
No greg plays on a GT based server with TC installed, so Greg has played with TC and saw things he could implement. His TC setup is very large (Last Time I looked at his base = 4 months ago, so it is probably bigger now)

Reactions: MigukNamja

Grove

Jul 29, 2019
If your worried about you GT boiler running out of water just make an enderIO reservoir, plonk it next to the fluid input bus, fill it with two water buckets (for infinite water) and use a yeta wrench, or Quartz wrench and right click the reservoir so you see a blue arrow. That will auto output water into any near by tanks or in this case the fluid bus. It will more than keep up with any water needs.

I haven't tested it but I'm sure you could hide the reservoir under the boiler and just change the input face of the fluid bus.

Sent from my iPhone

Reactions: gallowglass

Grove

Jul 29, 2019
If youve got charcoal to waste on a fully sized RC boiler getting it up to steam point, but full sized solid fuel boilers have never worked in my experiences with RC.
Hence my comment about diesel, ethanol and large boilers.

On the public server I'm just getting into the LV age now, I'm creating steam using creosote oil and a HP liquid fuel boiler 1x1 to create steam. It's working much better because I've got more charcoal (from two coke ovens) to feed my two BBF's :) working quite well at the moment but I'm not sure if the oil will be sustainable to get me through LV.

What do most people use for power generation? I always seem to have power generation issues. I never get to a point where I've got excess or spare power.

Sent from my iPhone

Jason McRay

Jul 29, 2019
On the public server I'm just getting into the LV age now, I'm creating steam using creosote oil and a HP liquid fuel boiler 1x1 to create steam. It's working much better because I've got more charcoal (from two coke ovens) to feed my two BBF's :) working quite well at the moment but I'm not sure if the oil will be sustainable to get me through LV.

What do most people use for power generation? I always seem to have power generation issues. I never get to a point where I've got excess or spare power.

Sent from my iPhone

i am personally going for the Ethanol production... I like to have renewable source, so i will use Thaumcraft golems to chop my trees, saplings will go to fermenter to make biomass and then to distilery to make ethanol, which will be pumped into Diesel gens. Wood from the trees will go some to my storage and some will go again thaumcraft way to produce charcoal to fuel my secondary steam power system. Coke ovens are great for "free" charcoal, but its slow. ooctadioc upgraded eIO alloy smelters are good, but they need some energy (7k RF per charcoal). Only thing what needs to be set with Thaumcraft is Ignis and Vacuos production (Ignis - torches > lux > centrifuge to get ignis (crafting torches with unlimited supply of Sticky Resin; Vacuos - Chests). Its maybe bit wastefull to do it this way and maybe unnecessary complex.... but thats what I like, complexity.... (also it looks good on youtube if you do something different (whoops little bit of channel advertising here :D)

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I'm hoping to do IC2 biogas just for shits and giggles.

I'd also love to revisit Big Reactors (which I normally consider OP) simply so that I can create a big PneumaticCraft power-conversion facility to transform the RF into EU.

I now kinda don't mind if we get rid of enetbridge. The PneumaticCraft conversion mechanism is really cool.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
I've been using a combination or creosote, oil-->fuel, and charcoal for my power. Creosote and fuel into RC boilers and charcoal into a GT Steel boiler as needed.

I'm about to add Ethanol. I just finished my last tree species and have built all of the Genetics machines to isolate the desirable traits to build a "super sapling" that has the best of everything. Will need to build a Forestry farm for the fruit and will give my chop golems and his golem friends the new sapling once it's done so they can start harvesting the super saplings and wood to boot.

Sure, charcoal or oil bees would be far, far easier, but where's the fun in that ? I like complicated setups, especially power setups, and this pack is a power-starved, power-centric pack, as is GT in general.

Another advantage of ethanol is having a common fuel for EU power and RF power. I will probably need way more EU/GT power than RF power, but if I get large-scale quarrying going, that could change things.

Speaking of EU/GT power, has anyone noticed that AE2 is now gated HV+1 (i.e. large quantities of Titanium) ? A critical pattern/template/stencil thingy requires 1920 EU/t in a GT Assembler for a fairly long duration. One may not need 1920 EU/t of constant power production, but one needs something close to that plus sufficient battery buffering.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Speaking of EU/GT power, has anyone noticed that AE2 is now gated HV+1 (i.e. large quantities of Titanium) ? A critical pattern/template/stencil thingy requires 1920 EU/t in a GT Assembler for a fairly long duration. One may not need 1920 EU/t of constant power production, but one needs something close to that plus sufficient battery buffering.
I *think* I sort of like this. As it stands, there's basically very little reason to progress beyond HV power.

What sort of battery do you put in that buffer? I can't imagine the process will consume the contents of a 4x battery buffer.

Reactions: MigukNamja

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
I *think* I sort of like this. As it stands, there's basically very little reason to progress beyond HV power.

What sort of battery do you put in that buffer? I can't imagine the process will consume the contents of a 4x battery buffer.

Agreed !! Need some incentive to use all that lovely Titanium.

I'm not in the game right now and can't check NEI, but since there is no HV+1 battery AFAIK, you'd need at least 4x 512 EU/t HV batteries into a Transformer to reach 2048 EU/t HV+1 power. Can you use just a single face of a transformer to jump from 512 EU/t to 2048 EU/t, or do you need to feed into at least 4 faces ?

Reactions: Pyure

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Oh, Miguk, here you go.
Looks like you want a IC2 Lapotron Crystal, which are a minor step up from Energy Crystals.

Whoever wrote this wiki did a great job. I suspect they are a clever and probably good-looking individual.

Edit: and I've never used the GT transformer to up-transform so I dunno, sorry :(

Reactions: Grove