[1.7.10][LISTED] InfiTech 2 Modpack v3.2.21 [HQM][GregTech balanced hard-mode modpack]

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Green_Razor

Jul 29, 2019
What is lignite used for? I have hundreds, possibly 1000+, and all I can see is that I can turn it into lignite coal which is fuel as good as a plank. Is there any other practical use or is that it?

Pixxlationn

Jul 29, 2019
What is lignite used for? I have hundreds, possibly 1000+, and all I can see is that I can turn it into lignite coal which is fuel as good as a plank. Is there any other practical use or is that it?

Lignite plates can turn into small piles of ashes. I'm not an expert at GT, but ashes seem to have more uses then lignite.

Mysbubblan

Jul 29, 2019
Does this pack use gregtech unofficial? With the added end-game? or does it use gretech official with the un finished version of GT?

Thanks in advance!

After looking again, and this time in the right place, i found out that it does use the new GT unofficial! :) Sweet!

Last edited:

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Can someone help me with my fluid nuclear reactor?

It regularly loses 3-4 blocks of the Reactor Pressure Vessel BUT when I check the reactor its turned off, did not explode and heat is at 0%.

I'm using this design http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.blueyo...552wxr78xai85h87h5f5sr2wbxfivpap2vu79muqueeps which should be able to run forever without exploding.

I had the same issue when I lost a few bits of reactor internals and they got replaced (auto-inserted) with fuel rods. I then lost some random reactor pressure vessel blocks (walls).

Note that you can lose random components (heat exhangers, heat vents, etc.,.) from the internals if you break the walls of the pressure vessel. I'm not sure if it's related to IC2 coolant spillage or not. If you're going to do maintenance on your pressure vessel and move/replace blocks, make sure to remove *all* reactor internals. It's a PITA mechanic, but it is the way it is.

I've been running the same pressure vessel for over a week now, have added more, and I'm not losing reactor bits and pieces or pressure vessel blocks anymore.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Does this pack use gregtech unofficial? With the added end-game? or does it use gretech official with the un finished version of GT?

Thanks in advance!

After looking again, and this time in the right place, i found out that it does use the new GT unofficial! :) Sweet!

It uses @Blood Asp 's Unnofficial, which is 'finished' and has an end-game 3.1.6 uses 5.0.8.26, Blood Asp has more recent versions to download.

DarknessShadow

Jul 29, 2019
I had the same issue when I lost a few bits of reactor internals and they got replaced (auto-inserted) with fuel rods. I then lost some random reactor pressure vessel blocks (walls).

Note that you can lose random components (heat exhangers, heat vents, etc.,.) from the internals if you break the walls of the pressure vessel. I'm not sure if it's related to IC2 coolant spillage or not. If you're going to do maintenance on your pressure vessel and move/replace blocks, make sure to remove *all* reactor internals. It's a PITA mechanic, but it is the way it is.

I've been running the same pressure vessel for over a week now, have added more, and I'm not losing reactor bits and pieces or pressure vessel blocks anymore.
The auto insert on my reactor is with logistics pipe with the placement upgrade so it wont place the fuel rods anywhere else.

I know that some components are lost when i break the reactor but I did not break it the blocks just disappeard on its own :(

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Are there any benefits to dumping impure piles of ores into cauldrons to turn into pure?
Some dusts can only be used in their pure form. This is particularly true for making alloys, or dusts that are commonly involved in recipes, such as Redstone.

In many cases, its actually better to just smelt the dirty dusts.

The auto insert on my reactor is with logistics pipe with the placement upgrade so it wont place them anywhere else.

I know that some components are lost when i break the reactor but I did not break it the blocks just disappeard on its own :(
This can happen if part of your reactor overheats. That's the only time I've seen it happen.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
@Pyure

Large Turbine Large Rotors : What rotor to use when LHE is putting out 2000 mB/t SHS ?

The Huge Rotors require Americium Long Rods, so they're out.

Of the Large Rotors, not many have optimal flow above 32,000L/s (1,600 mB/t + 25% = 2,000mB/t). And, those that do have terrible durability. One example of Thaumium. Its durability is only about 20 hours in the regular steam Large Turbine and I'm guessing half that in the SHS Turbine (SHS eats through durability twice as fast ?).

I'd like to use Tungstensteel, but the optimal flow rate is only 30,000L/s (i.e. up to 37,500), which is 1,857mB/t.

Question 1 : What's the impact of exceeding the optimal flow rate by 25% ?
I'd like to use the Tungstensteel, but I'll be pushing it to roughly 129% of its optimal flow rate. In return, it's 140% efficient and its durability is 17 days in the normal steam Large Turbine.

Otherwise, I'll either reduce my hot coolant output by about 5% or else chip down to intentionally decrease the efficiency of the LHE so its SHS output matches what the Large Tungstensteel can handle.

Question 2 : Is there a way to automate replacing the rotors ? Robotic Arm, perhaps ?
I tried eIO Item Conduit, and it could not insert into the controller (GUI).

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
But isnt overheat = explosion?

Btw I have nuclear control which should turn it off when its above 1000 heat.

I think it is, yes. I've had explosions due to overheat. However, I think random pressure vessel wall loss is a result of not being careful about replacing reactor components (ex. heat exhanger, heat vent, etc.,.) when moving pressure vessel blocks (walls).

It's a PITA mechanic of IC2 pressure vessel reactors.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Some dusts can only be used in their pure form. This is particularly true for making alloys, or dusts that are commonly involved in recipes, such as Redstone.

In many cases, its actually better to just smelt the dirty dusts.

This can happen if part of your reactor overheats. That's the only time I've seen it happen.

This might be it. If a single component inside the reactor burns out, it might cause pressure vessel wall to be lost. A single component can burn out, but your overall reactor heat might be fine.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Real Question 1
Large Turbine Large Rotors : What rotor to use when LHE is putting out 2000 mB/t SHS ?

The Huge Rotors require Americium Long Rods, so they're out.

Of the Large Rotors, not many have optimal flow above 32,000L/s (1,600 mB/t + 25% = 2,000mB/t). And, those that do have terrible durability. One example of Thaumium. Its durability is only about 20 hours in the regular steam Large Turbine and I'm guessing half that in the SHS Turbine (SHS eats through durability twice as fast ?).

I'd like to use Tungstensteel, but the optimal flow rate is only 30,000L/s (i.e. up to 37,500), which is 1,857mB/t.
Definitely don't use t-steel :) Thaumium does seem to be your best bet, with an optimal flow rate of 1950 steam per tick.

edit: if you send this rotor 2000 mb/t steam, you'll be incurring a 2.5% penalty to power output, for what its worth. But I really like that thaumium is dirt-cheap to make. Consider how much power it takes to make tungstensteel :)

Calculation is ToolSpeed (Thaum-10) * SizeMultiplier (Large-3) * 50, where speed is taken from http://ftb.gamepedia.com/Pickaxe_(GregTech) I believe.

There's some other options: black bronze, infused gold, etc. But Thaumium has a better durability. Be aware that "Large" rotors last WAY longer than small ones.

Other Question 1 : What's the impact of exceeding the optimal flow rate by 25% ?
A 25% penalty to your output. Specifically: if you need 400 steam per tick, and there is 4000 in the hatches, it will consume 500 steam and output whatever energy you'd get from 500 steam * 0.75. Note that if your hatches are full for whatever reason, but you start choking your input to 400 via a fluid regulator, the turbine will eventually get down to 400 steam/t. That said, its often best to "start" your turbine as soon as possible when the steam starts flowing. (I forget for sure, but I may have made it so you can turn it on WITHOUT any steam flow)

Question 2 : Is there a way to automate replacing the rotors ? Robotic Arm, perhaps ?
I tried eIO Item Conduit, and it could not insert into the controller (GUI).
Not that I know of.

Last edited:

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
@Pyure

Thanks for the quick responses. I did indeed choose Thaumium because they are dirt-cheap to make. The Praecantatio is basically 'free', so making Thaumium is 'just' iron ingots. However, the SHS Turbine eats through Thaumium Large Rotors like butter. It looks like they last ~5 hours in an SHS Turbine.

On the one hand, ~5 hours is good for roughly:

5h * 3600s/h * 20t/s * 4000EU/t = ~1.4B EU

Combined with the normal steam rotor, that easily fills up a max-sized (16-slot) 8192v Energy Orb battery box.

On the other hand, if I'm drawing that much power on a constant basis, ex. 4x HV EBFs + several Proc. Arrays for Fusion prep., then I'll need to replace those overnight / during the day (while I'm at work).

I'll try the Robotic Arm. If that doesn't work, I'll go with Tungstensteel. Those last almost 18 days in a normal steam turbine, or almost 9 days in an SHS.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
@Pyure

Thanks for the quick responses. I did indeed choose Thaumium because they are dirt-cheap to make. The Praecantatio is basically 'free', so making Thaumium is 'just' iron ingots. However, the SHS Turbine eats through Thaumium Large Rotors like butter. It looks like they last ~5 hours in an SHS Turbine.

On the one hand, ~5 hours is good for roughly:

5h * 3600s/h * 20t/s * 4000EU/t = ~1.4B EU

Combined with the normal steam rotor, that easily fills up a max-sized (16-slot) 8192v Energy Orb battery box.

On the other hand, if I'm drawing that much power on a constant basis, ex. 4x HV EBFs + several Proc. Arrays for Fusion prep., then I'll need to replace those overnight / during the day (while I'm at work).

I'll try the Robotic Arm. If that doesn't work, I'll go with Tungstensteel. Those last almost 18 days in a normal steam turbine, or almost 9 days in an SHS.
I'm surprised they last such a small amount of time, wow. I figured thaumium would be good for a few days at least.

I'd love to see some math on how much power those tungstensteel rotors cost.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
I'm surprised they last such a small amount of time, wow. I figured thaumium would be good for a few days at least.

I'd love to see some math on how much power those tungstensteel rotors cost.

It's a drop in the ocean of power those things generate over the life of the rotor. Each Large Tungstensteel rotor costs 75 Tungstensteel (72 for 36x double plates, plus 3 for the screws).

Each T-steel takes: (working backwards):

Code:
  42840 to freeze
 720000 to EBF
  32940 to freeze the Tungsten
 600000 to EBF the Tungsten
2304000 to MV Centrifuge sufficient Tungsten from Lava

Total = 3699780 EU, i.e. 3.7M EU

Let's round that up to 4M EU for overhead, such as making the Steel to EBF with Tungsten.

Multiply by 75 T-steel ingots for 4M * 75 = 300M

Seems like a lot, right ? But, that's just 30% of an 8192v Energy Orb. I'm also discounting completely the other centrifuged byproducts such as Gold, Copper, Tin, Silver, and Tantalum.

Putting aside the regular steam Large Turbine and its rotor for just the next step, the Large High Pressure Steam Turbine will make 300M EU in about 2 hours. The lifetime of that Turbine in the SHS is about 9 days. In the regular turbine, it's about 18 days.

2 hours out of 9 days is less than 1%.

Given the regular steam turbine has twice the rotor lifetime, but half the power, they cancel each other out, yielding 1% of rotor lifetime to make the energy to replace the rotor.

Reactions: 1 person