[1.7.10][LISTED] InfiTech 2 Modpack v3.2.21 [HQM][GregTech balanced hard-mode modpack]

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
In the Real World (IRL), Helium is extremely rare on earth. It's plentiful in stars via fusion of Hydrogen, but our civilization is not at the level yet where we can mine Helium in/from the sun or other stars. Perhaps we can make Helium in a fusion reactor on earth.
Not quite true. Anything with high enough gravity that isn't too close to a start can retain helium in its atmosphere. That includes gas giants and some of the so-called "super-Earths". As opposed to getting it from stars, we might actually be able to do the gas giant atmosphere extraction, it's just not cost-efficient.

Reactions: MigukNamja

DarknessShadow

Jul 29, 2019
Not quite true. Anything with high enough gravity that isn't too close to a start can retain helium in its atmosphere. That includes gas giants and some of the so-called "super-Earths". As opposed to getting it from stars, we might actually be able to do the gas giant atmosphere extraction, it's just not cost-efficient.
I thought there is lots of helium on the moon ?

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah that seems rather ridiculous for tritium as I've just been testing, it's set so that they convert at a rate of 1 + heat/3000 progress each time they get hit with a neutron. However as they're set to requiring zero progress for some reason anything that hits them with neutrons will instantly convert them. So for example take any reactor design and replace a neutron reflector with a lithium cell, the reactor should be cooler so produce less energy but it will convert at a rate of one lithium cell to tritium cell per second per slot. That will be trivial to run and keep in a cool reactor with thorium being superior due to the higher durability and it will easily produce more tritium then you know what to do with, the limiting factor will become lithium as mentioned but that's easy to get from dirt as previously covered in the thread. 1 lithium = 2 tritium too so while you'll need 5 slots converting lithium to tritium that only requires 5 tiny lithium dust a second. So 4 MV Electrolyzers converting clay to lithium which will consume 4 clay dust a second, as it's 18 dirt per clay dust you'll be needing to centrifuge 72 dirt a second which is where the real brunt of the work comes in as that's 864 LV centrifuge recipes at once. Of course it can be done better obviously, a mere 54 IV centrifuges could do it for instance.

So probably best to sticking to just synthesising clay if you're using UU.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
I thought there is lots of helium on the moon ?
That's an unproven hypothesis for now, and in any case, while it may be more abundant on the moon than on Earth, it's still far below what would be available from gas giants. In any case, it's still not quite clear if helium-3 fusion is viable since it requires significantly higher temperatures for an economically feasible power output.

Reactions: MigukNamja

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Yeah that seems rather ridiculous for tritium as I've just been testing, it's set so that they convert at a rate of 1 + heat/3000 progress each time they get hit with a neutron. However as they're set to requiring zero progress for some reason anything that hits them with neutrons will instantly convert them. So for example take any reactor design and replace a neutron reflector with a lithium cell, the reactor should be cooler so produce less energy but it will convert at a rate of one lithium cell to tritium cell per second per slot. That will be trivial to run and keep in a cool reactor with thorium being superior due to the higher durability and it will easily produce more tritium then you know what to do with, the limiting factor will become lithium as mentioned but that's easy to get from dirt as previously covered in the thread. 1 lithium = 2 tritium too so while you'll need 5 slots converting lithium to tritium that only requires 5 tiny lithium dust a second. So 4 MV Electrolyzers converting clay to lithium which will consume 4 clay dust a second, as it's 18 dirt per clay dust you'll be needing to centrifuge 72 dirt a second which is where the real brunt of the work comes in as that's 864 LV centrifuge recipes at once. Of course it can be done better obviously, a mere 54 IV centrifuges could do it for instance.

So probably best to sticking to just synthesising clay if you're using UU.
tl;dr, the tritium/fission converion method is...good?

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
tl;dr, the tritium/fission converion method is...good?
Yeah, it's ludicrously fast compared to anything else. A max conversion rate of nearly 1200mB per second from a single reactor if you could somehow supply enough lithium. Add in that you'll probably be wanting an automatic clay production system anyway for the lithium/aluminium for sulfur plasma when you hit tier two and it seems like a really good option.

Plus you're running a nuclear reactor anyway so that's still going to be providing a modicum of power.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Yeah, it's ludicrously fast compared to anything else. A max conversion rate of nearly 1200mB per second from a single reactor if you could somehow supply enough lithium. Add in that you'll probably be wanting an automatic clay production system anyway for the lithium/aluminium for sulfur plasma when you hit tier two and it seems like a really good option.

Plus you're running a nuclear reactor anyway so that's still going to be providing a modicum of power.
I wonder what the math would be on power-saved. Taking away a neutron deflector is going to reduce the efficiency of the reactor, but the impression I get is that its a really tiny drop in the ocean given how much tritium you can generate so quickly.

DarknessShadow

Jul 29, 2019
I wonder what the math would be on power-saved. Taking away a neutron deflector is going to reduce the efficiency of the reactor, but the impression I get is that its a really tiny drop in the ocean given how much tritium you can generate so quickly.
You don't have to convert it to Tritium in your power production ....
A simple nuclear reactor (without extra chambers) with thorium rods and a me system with a level emiter to only turn on when lithium fuel rods are inside.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
You don't have to convert it to Tritium in your power production ....
A simple nuclear reactor (without extra chambers) with thorium rods and a me system with a level emiter to only turn on when lithium fuel rods are inside.
Viewing it cost/benefit, that's still using up power production. If I put 5 thorium rods into a well-designed reactor and turn it on, I generally expect it to get 7 efficiency on the old planner. If I remove a neutron reflector, that efficiency will drop.

Just to be clear, I'm not in the slightest concerned about this. Thorium is cheap. I'm just curious what the actual numbers are in terms of energy-saved-in-tritium-production vs energy-lost-in-energy-production.

This is nice ... just noticed
https://github.com/MauveCloud/Ic2ExpReactorPlanner/releases
IC2 Experimental Reactor Planner

Nice now we can simulate a fluid nuclear reactor with thorium cells :D
I was gonna say we can already do this in the old planner (GT tab) but technically you have to infer the fluid-reactor results from the heat production.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019

True, that. But, even with Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune not being hot enough to melt a mining ship, there's gravity. Gas giants have the bad problem of providing nowhere to 'land', yet high enough gravity that trying to 'hover' is too expensive. So, you have to orbit at high speed and 'skim' the surface, which means a lot of friction/wear/tear. I can only imagine how violent/chaotic it is near the observable surface of one of those giants.

The moon is probably the cheapest way to get He3 on a 'massive' scale, i.e. on the order of kilograms.

As it is, terrestrial, man-made He3 is currently produced through tritium decay, with said tritium coming from breeder reactors using lithium control rods.

And...wow. Talk about coming full circle:

Place lithium rods next to working fuel rods and they get instantly converted. So you need a big enough lithium supply and the rest is complex but cheap automation.

It's always nice when Minecraft technology mirrors real-life tech, albeit far simpler :)

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Since everyone's wikipedia-ing helium and gas giants today, anyone else acutely aware that the last two XKCD what-ifs have been Jupiter-specific?

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Place lithium rods next to working fuel rods and they get instantly converted. So you need a big enough lithium supply and the rest is complex but cheap automation.
That's an unproven hypothesis for now, and in any case, while it may be more abundant on the moon than on Earth, it's still far below what would be available from gas giants. In any case, it's still not quite clear if helium-3 fusion is viable since it requires significantly higher temperatures for an economically feasible power output.

He3 + He3 fusion is very difficult, yes. However, He3 + Deuterium fusion occurs at lower temperatures (i.e. longer distances between atomic nuclei) and should be economically viable at scale due to most of the reaction energy being released as charged particles, which is far easier to convert into electricity than most other viable fusion reactions. But, the problem is the fuel source, especially the He3.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Re: Tritium scarcity

Just realized it won't be so scarce/difficult if liquid Lithium is used to absorb the high-energy neutrons from D + T --> He4 + 17.6MeV + neutron.

I learned that from Wikipedia, of course.

And, Deuterium can be harvested from ocean water, so there you have it for fuel.

The only problem with D + T fusion are those high-energy neutrons. They aren't magnetic, so they aren't contained in the magnetic field, but rather damage and irradiate the containment vessel (sleeve) over time. Not sure how feasible a sleeve is that achieves (near) 100% absorption and is replaceable.