[1.7.10][LISTED] InfiTech 2 Modpack v3.2.21 [HQM][GregTech balanced hard-mode modpack]

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
So you miss out the steel one and go straight for even higher-tier. Not in that position yet as I was thinking of going for a steel boiler to provide enough 'quick' steam to power the EBF at a decent rate. But maybe I just stick with bronze for now. Hmm.

As I described earlier, I also skipped GT Boilers until the Titanium version that I just finished building yesterday. I used 16 HP Lava Boilers for all my steam production up until this point. I have one HV feed running off 16 LV Steam Turbines, as well as one MV Steam Turbine to run my EBF, and finally I have 4 LV Steam Turbines to run my 4-amp LV processing machine setup (4x tin cable with 4-battery buffer boxes at intervals along the power cable). I've build just about every LV machine available in GT now, something like 30 machines.

The only caveat to this 16 HP Lava Boiler setup is that I can only run one feed at a time. Either I can run my HV feed in short bursts, or I can run my EBF, or I can run 4 of my LV processing machines at once. Since 17 boilers are required to keep up with one MV Steam Turbine, my 16 boilers ran at a slight "steam deficit", and my Steam Tank level would slowly drop while the EBF was running, but it was a very managable drop, taking a few hours before the tank emptied completely. All I had to do was stop the EBF for 5 mins and the tank was re-filled, then re-start the EBF for another 2 hour run. Worked out very well indeed for early game. But it is finally time to step my steam game up a bit and get out of LV era entirely.

Reactions: SolManX

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
In addition to that, you can actually burn CREOSOTE oil in them. As in the secondary product of your coke ovens, all in the same boiler.

Didn't know this, but makes sense. I guess I assumed that the Creosote had to be used in a RC Liquid Firebox, so I was under this impression that I was gonna have to build some of those too, in order to use the Creosote. Great news, thanks!

I guess the reason I get so frustrated is because I've gotta change the entire layout of my base now, in order to accomodate the new process. Lava was so easy to maintain, just make a couple of trips a day to the nether to drop off the drums at the filling station, and get to fly around and explore for ores while they filled. I'll miss those trips.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
While I'm on the subject... I've done a lot of flying the nether looking for ores and using my OV Scanner. Something odd... there's only 4 veins I've every found, and I've found a lot of them, many multiple instances... The Limonite ores, Garnierite/Cobaltite/Nickel, Redstone, and Tetrahedrite. That's it - nothing else, ever. No tin, no chalcopyrite, nor anything rare like Scheelite or Plutonium or Iridium. Just want to make sure - all ores do spawn in the nether just like they do in the overworld, is that correct? Is there any reason other than bad luck that I haven't found anything else yet? Cobalt/Nickel is under the lava, so is that where a lot of the good stuff like Diamond or Emerald might be hiding?

SolManX

Jul 29, 2019
While I'm on the subject... I've done a lot of flying the nether looking for ores and using my OV Scanner. Something odd... there's only 4 veins I've every found, and I've found a lot of them, many multiple instances... The Limonite ores, Garnierite/Cobaltite/Nickel, Redstone, and Tetrahedrite. That's it - nothing else, ever. No tin, no chalcopyrite, nor anything rare like Scheelite or Plutonium or Iridium. Just want to make sure - all ores do spawn in the nether just like they do in the overworld, is that correct? Is there any reason other than bad luck that I haven't found anything else yet? Cobalt/Nickel is under the lava, so is that where a lot of the good stuff like Diamond or Emerald might be hiding?
I don't think all ores spawn in the other dimensions. I use the Gregtech Guide for things like this:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_suVZdSI91JimQTsgR3ejRt1HbxOM87Sh1OO2Fou6zM/edit?pli=1

Reactions: Dlur100

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
I don't think all ores spawn in the other dimensions. I use the Gregtech Guide for things like this:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_suVZdSI91JimQTsgR3ejRt1HbxOM87Sh1OO2Fou6zM/edit?pli=1

Ah geez thanks, I missed that part. Yeah, looks like I've found all the ores - I forgot about finding Magnetite in the nether too. So bottom line, looks like there's no Tin in the nether, that's all Overworld. There's def plenty of copper thanks to how many Tetrahedrite veins I've found so far. And plenty of iron, Limonite is everywhere. But the biggest score of all in the Nether is clearly the Garnierite, which is a nice source of oxygen for making steel ingots. There's also Nickel, which will be needed for the upper-tier Nichrome EBF heating coils, and best of all, the Cobaltite which is the best early-game Level 3 tool material IMO. So I guess I should be thankful for the few ores found in the Nether even if it isn't all of em.

Dlur100

Jul 29, 2019
So you miss out the steel one and go straight for even higher-tier. Not in that position yet as I was thinking of going for a steel boiler to provide enough 'quick' steam to power the EBF at a decent rate. But maybe I just stick with bronze for now. Hmm.
That's just my personal preference (skipping the steel one) and I do it because of the way I set things up. I'm also running 2 36LP RC liquid boilers off the creosote from 48 coke ovens non stop. So the large boiler is only for burst needs when those 2 RC boilers can't keep up in keeping my steam tank full. Because of this the large bronze boiler is enough to keep two EBFs going (one MV and one HV) along with most of my LV gear that run constantly like packagers, centrifuges, ore washing. I run my MV and HV machines off diesel generators.

But now I'm getting to the point where I'm going to be looking at starting some EV stuff, and that's the point where the large bronze boiler is no longer adequate for my setup. Plus I need to put in some GT turbines because the RC turbines aren't enough anymore. I'll keep those for my LV stuff though because they're efficient and the maintenance is minimal. Right now, oddly enough, because of my mining habits or lack there-of I have more tungsten than I do titanium so I might just skip the titanium boiler and go straight to tungsten-steel.

I've had an ender quarry sitting in a chest for a few days now. I should probably set it up :) Out of curiosity, has anyone bothered to try setting up an ender quarry (without speed upgrades) to pass items using magic mirrors back to your base? If I had an energized ordo node near the receiving mirror perhaps?

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I'm also running 2 36LP RC liquid boilers off the creosote from 48 coke ovens non stop. So the large boiler is only for burst needs when those 2 RC boilers can't keep up in keeping my steam tank full.
Out of curiousity, why do you keep your 36LPs around at all if you have a large titanium boiler? Or is yours still a Large Bronze one?

gatsu

Jul 29, 2019
I've had an ender quarry sitting in a chest for a few days now. I should probably set it up :) Out of curiosity, has anyone bothered to try setting up an ender quarry (without speed upgrades) to pass items using magic mirrors back to your base? If I had an energized ordo node near the receiving mirror perhaps?

That is precisely what I do. I have an ender quarry running at all times, with ender io item conduits extracting from the quarry to both a trash can and an item grate with a mirror underneath. I have an item filter to send all the stuff I don't want to the can (cobblestone, granite, etc), and everything else to the mirror. On the other side, it drops to a greedy chest that extracts to a diamond chest with an import bus.

Also, I have an energized node feeding it ordo to keep it running fast.

Reactions: Dlur100

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019

There was talk of this method within the past week on this forum, however my only recollection of it was that this method was reported to be very laggy and not really do-able for a high-volume, high-speed operation like a quarry (even with no speed upgrades).

Edit: Well it it works for gatsu, give it a try!

SolManX

Jul 29, 2019
A long time ago, a wise man once said:

Okay, had to check worldgen.cfg ... and these three entries tally with the guide (if I'm looking at the correct entries - under mix), ...

cassiterite {
B:Nether_false=false
B:Overworld_true=true
B:TheEnd_true=true
}

tetrahedrite {
B:Nether_true=true
B:TheEnd_false=false
}

netherquartz {
B:Overworld_false=false
}

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
I find tin in the nether all the time fwiw. Dunno if my worldgen is outta date.

you prob mean the small ores. i'm talking an entire vein of tin. doesn't matter anymore, I've found more than I can use in the overworld thanks to the OV Scanner.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Okay, had to check worldgen.cfg ... and these three entries tally with the guide (if I'm looking at the correct entries - under mix), ...

cassiterite {
B:Nether_false=false
B:TheEnd_true=true
}

tetrahedrite {
}

netherquartz {
B:Overworld_false=false
}
Nice!
Sadly doesn't jive with http://ftb.gamepedia.com/GregTech_5/Mining_and_Processing :\

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Okay, had to check worldgen.cfg ... and these three entries tally with the guide (if I'm looking at the correct entries - under mix)

Good idea, I'll have to go in there and see which ores are "True" for Nether.