[1.7.10][LISTED] InfiTech 2 Modpack v3.2.21 [HQM][GregTech balanced hard-mode modpack]

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Jason McRay

Jul 29, 2019
No, I don't get it. :( I see switch track and made some but I still don't understand how to get the train working. Nevermind the lava for now, all I want to do is get a train from overworld to nether and back. Once I've got that figured out then I can add a liquid loader/unloader and a pump. For now, I can't even figure out all the railcraft tracks. Never used a "switch track" before.

Are you saying we need to run side-by-side tracks to the portal? One track for each direction? But when I place my track side by side, they connect up and do funny things that I don't want them to do. This is why I rarely ever deal with trains.

My idea was to use one tank cart, but I guess that will be slow. Therefore, I guess people use multiple tank carts, and therefore we can't use one-way tracks, we need a track in each direction, both coming and going?

Ten minutes of confusion and I'm already ready to give up on this idea. I can't even place the track properly. LOL sigh

Dimensional Transceivers, here I come! LOL
Go to 5:10 - here you can see how i had it setup. the 2nd track from the left is the switch track

Reactions: Dlur100 and Pyure

SteelGiant

Jul 29, 2019
Also, don't get your hopes up for getting dimensional transcievers online too soon. They take enderium, which needs the top level coils in the EBF and an assload of chrome.

They also have a hefty energy upkeep, so they are not for weedy power grids either.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Also, don't get your hopes up for getting dimensional transcievers online too soon. They take enderium, which needs the top level coils in the EBF and an assload of chrome.

They also have a hefty energy upkeep, so they are not for weedy power grids either.
A viable alternative might be to set up a canning machine to can the lava and then drop it through a magic mirror, where it can be decanted on the other side.

SteelGiant

Jul 29, 2019
I found that magic mirrors (even when used with a player on both ends, guaranteeing chunkloading) caused massive lag (persisting for a while after using) for me when I tried it a couple of weeks ago. Granted this was when throwing multiple stacks through at a time, but I remain not keen to try again.

Reactions: Pyure

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
I'll get this railcraft working somehow. I really do need to upgrade my steam production and lava seems to be the best way since it is in almost limitless quantity and since the high pressure lava boilers are pretty decent compared to most of the other boilers. If I can just get the train set up and working thru the portal, then it will basically be a "place it and forget it" type of setup... altho I can envision zombie pigmen spawning in the portal frame and messing the whole operation up from time to time.

And I still don't really understand the need for 2 tracks going into and out of the portal. Jason is using a one-way line in his video, so what's the purpose of 2 parallel tracks at the portal? Is it because when the train goes into the portal on the left, it comes out on the right? And vice versa? So you need two tracks? I guess I should just run one line in and out, and see what happens. I'll probably get my answer.

And of course... Murphy's Law - with my base layout, I need the train to go into and out of the portal from a certain direction... but when I use that direction, then the train comes out on the wrong side of the portal in the nether. They really need a way to "turn" the direction the portal works (i.e. which direction you will face when you emerge thru the other portal).

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019

Yeah, thanks, we were discussing this the other day. What good is the "good stuff" if you can only get to it and use it when you're already in late game?

Speaking of enderium... how the heck am I ever gonna get enderpearls? Just gotta find a Stronghold and get to the End somehow? But I can't make Eye of Ender without enderpearls so I'll only find a Stronghold with some luck.

I'm really debating making a vanilla mob farm even tho use of the word "vanilla" for anything in modded minecraft is highly frowned upon... but without Ominous Woods biome, I'm really stuck for pearls.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Yeah, thanks, we were discussing this the other day. What good is the "good stuff" if you can only get to it and use it when you're already in late game?
We talked about this previously, but the issue here is that a) enderium is "late" but not "end" game. Also, your personal definition of "good" stuff is an obstacle. A better question to ask would be "what good would all the regular logistics be if you can just skip it and get the best stuff in the early/mid game?"

Speaking of enderium... how the heck am I ever gonna get enderpearls? Just gotta find a Stronghold and get to the End somehow? But I can't make Eye of Ender without enderpearls so I'll only find a Stronghold with some luck.
I'm surprised you haven't come across any ender lily seed yet. Do you bother checking out chests when exploring? They're all over the place.

Failing this there are non-vanilla methods of mob farming you can use.

Reactions: Dlur100

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
I've found very few chests but that's because I haven't done a lot of exploring - I cheated to find my ore deposits because I had no interest whatsoever in spending many days doing nothing but tunneling blindly in hopes of finding something good. But... the tradeoff for my temerity is that - as you point out - by not really exploring underground, I've lost out on a valuable piece of the InfiTech2 puzzle, those ender-lily seeds for early game pearls. But I won't cheat to give myself pearls, part of my decision to take the shortcut on finding ore veins was that I cannot cheat at any other part of the game and its all gotta be legit the rest of the way. I'll find a way - like I say, just building a big huge ugly mob spawner thing in the sky is one way I can get some, but I'd rather not go the "big ugly" route unless I really have to. :)

Anyhow, this 2x2x2 Railcraft boiler has just chewed thru my charcoal supply and I'm completely out now... so there's no choice, I've gotta get the nether lava train up and running. No more posts until its done. :D

Jason McRay

Jul 29, 2019
I'll get this railcraft working somehow. I really do need to upgrade my steam production and lava seems to be the best way since it is in almost limitless quantity and since the high pressure lava boilers are pretty decent compared to most of the other boilers. If I can just get the train set up and working thru the portal, then it will basically be a "place it and forget it" type of setup... altho I can envision zombie pigmen spawning in the portal frame and messing the whole operation up from time to time.

And I still don't really understand the need for 2 tracks going into and out of the portal. Jason is using a one-way line in his video, so what's the purpose of 2 parallel tracks at the portal? Is it because when the train goes into the portal on the left, it comes out on the right? And vice versa? So you need two tracks? I guess I should just run one line in and out, and see what happens. I'll probably get my answer.

And of course... Murphy's Law - with my base layout, I need the train to go into and out of the portal from a certain direction... but when I use that direction, then the train comes out on the wrong side of the portal in the nether. They really need a way to "turn" the direction the portal works (i.e. which direction you will face when you emerge thru the other portal).
Make solid wall on the other side, it works.

For 2 parallel it should be enough to literaly use two tracks parallel. I never used 2 tracks for the lava collection, because its not necessary at all. I you want multiple Tank carts collecting lava, just link them together, make the loop near the pump and collection area and thats it. I will get a screeshot of the setup I have currently for the Oil collection with 1 Tank Cart and 1 Anchor Cart.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I've found very few chests but that's because I haven't done a lot of exploring - I cheated to find my ore deposits because I had no interest whatsoever in spending many days doing nothing but tunneling blindly in hopes of finding something good. But... the tradeoff for my temerity is that - as you point out - by not really exploring underground, I've lost out on a valuable piece of the InfiTech2 puzzle, those ender-lily seeds for early game pearls. But I won't cheat to give myself pearls, part of my decision to take the shortcut on finding ore veins was that I cannot cheat at any other part of the game and its all gotta be legit the rest of the way. I'll find a way - like I say, just building a big huge ugly mob spawner thing in the sky is one way I can get some, but I'd rather not go the "big ugly" route unless I really have to. :)
There's certainly no rush. The endermen you kill in the meantime will get you to the End, and then you'll have all the ender lilies you can deal with.

Jason McRay

Jul 29, 2019
Pearls without ender lilyies are also "simple" to get. Get lucky with some Dark Steel, make The Ender sword and go on a hunt for enderminies :) They spawn quite a lot, because i completely disaled any restrictions for them to spawn (They can spawn in daylight and on any block)

Jason McRay

Jul 29, 2019

Make solid wall on the other side, it works.

For 2 parallel it should be enough to literaly use two tracks parallel. I never used 2 tracks for the lava collection, because its not necessary at all. I you want multiple Tank carts collecting lava, just link them together, make the loop near the pump and collection area and thats it. I will get a screeshot of the setup I have currently for the Oil collection with 1 Tank Cart and 1 Anchor Cart.

Ok Here it is:
http://i.imgur.com/ROQDlPa.jpg

The track under the Loader is Locking Track, before that is Switch Track and on the right is booster track.

How it works is that the first cart will get on the Locking Track and will fill it up, when its full, the loader will emit Redstone Signal and will push the cart forward, but the track linked to the 1st will again stop on it and will again be filling up, when its again full, or no liquid was moved (thats by setting the laoder to immediate) it will again push the cart forward. Then it will loop and continue the journey back home. At home I have exactrly the same setup.

SolManX

Jul 29, 2019
Pearls without ender lilyies are also "simple" to get. Get lucky with some Dark Steel, make The Ender sword and go on a hunt for enderminies :) They spawn quite a lot, because i completely disaled any restrictions for them to spawn (They can spawn in daylight and on any block)

Hehe 'simple' => 'get lucky'!

Also, the two ender zoo creeper types drop 'bits' of ender, five of which make an ender pearl. Does the dark steel sword work on those too?

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Hehe 'simple' => 'get lucky'!

Also, the two ender zoo creeper types drop 'bits' of ender, five of which make an ender pearl. Does the dark steel sword work on those too?
Even if it doesn't, anyone can make a Fortune 3 sword with around 5 minutes of TC depth. All you need is the ability to make Thaumium (which is, as I recall, one of the first things you can do) and you can make Aqua swords, which have fortune (Looting) 3 and generate an awful lot of mob drops.

I think someone did a test once that confirmed the Ender is better than F3 for ender pearls, but its not a huge difference. Fortune 3 is still pretty awesome.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019

Aha, well that explains my little friends then. :) They are literally everywhere, all the time. In fact, as I'm building my railcraft lava train, I went thru my portal and on the other side in the nether was approximately 12 of the little fellas. hahaha Those were all in my overworld base and stepped into my portal, they just kept accumulating on the other side because it isn't chunk loaded yet.

Sometimes I return home from a trip and find 7 or 8 enderminys roaming around my base. But I know enough not to mess with em, and they don't ever seem to mess with me. I'm very thanful whoever made these things didn't give them the same effect as their big brothers (i.e. if you look at them they attack you).

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
I just keep re-orienting my nether portal in a never-ending effort to get the minecart to come out on the correct side at the other end. I feel like a dog chasing its own tail. LOL But yeah, I never had a solid wall on both ends. Let me try that then.

SolManX

Jul 29, 2019
Even if it doesn't, anyone can make a Fortune 3 sword with around 5 minutes of TC depth. All you need is the ability to make Thaumium (which is, as I recall, one of the first things you can do) and you can make Aqua swords, which have fortune (Looting) 3 and generate an awful lot of mob drops.

I think someone did a test once that confirmed the Ender is better than F3 for ender pearls, but its not a huge difference. Fortune 3 is still pretty awesome.

Nice one - I forgot about the built-in enchantments.