[1.7.10][LISTED] InfiTech 2 Modpack v3.2.21 [HQM][GregTech balanced hard-mode modpack]

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
@Pyure

I thought about posting the following observations and questions regarding Nuclear Power in this pack in a private chat, but realized many people would benefit from this.

Observations
  • 1 vein of Pitchblende/Uranite/Uranium yields well over 12 MOX cells
    • This is enough for a full-size 6-chamber MOX reactor.
    • Processing is just LV machines, nothing fancy or expensive
    • LV centrifuging 1 Uranium dusts yields 1 tiny Plutonium pile
    • Processing spent cells will return all the Plutonium, plus bonus.
    • Seems easy enough and makes Plutonium veins in this pack WAAAY OP.
  • MOX reactor requires just the above, plus LV and MV-era stuff like iron, copper, tin, diamonds, and aluminum
  • Thorium reactor required for Fusion Mk III ?
    • Thermal centrifuging Depleted Thorium Cells is the only source for lutetium dust which is needed to produce americium in the Fusion Reactor.

Questions
  • Thorium reactor uses same design as standard IC2 Uranium reactor, correct ?
    • If so, then one can do traditional IC2 (direct EU) or else 5x5x5 using exact same design with standard Uranium cells, but with Thorium cells swapped in ?
    • What's the best resource or YouTube video for building the 5x5x5 reactor and all the supporting machines for:
      • Normal steam (easier) ?
      • Superheated steam (more complicated / picky) ?
  • MOX reactor useful for breeding Plutonium ?
    • It seems Fusion MkIII consumes Plutonium to produce Naquadah

Plans
  • Finish MOX reactor
  • After finishing my Mox, I'd like to setup a Thorium reactor. Not sure if I'll do a Big Reactor this time. I have tons of Yellorium, but I've done plenty of those in previous worlds. I may ultimately convert the Yellorium to Uranium.
  • In my world, I just refined my first set of Mox cells, have setup my 5-chamber reactor, and am about to drop in the components and start it up. Heating up a MOX the first time is always....tense/exciting :). I then plan to fully automate that setup and then work on power storage.

Reactions: Pyure

Nickolas Wood

Jul 29, 2019
Guys I gotta ask, is this legitimately a problem? Have either of you used BR in Infitech2 yet? That's not me being an ass, I genuinely want to ensure you've gone to the trouble of actually USING big reactors power.

For me, I haven't turned on my big reactors turbine in over a week because as powerful and safe as it is, IC2 is still more convenient.

Running away ............

I have not gotten that far yet :oops: , I'll be completely honest, I am still looking for tin :( ATG makes that harder.

I am simply working off of past experiences, some single player creative testing with this pack and feedback from the others participating in this conversation.

Reactions: Pyure and SolManX

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I recently switched to the same design, its excellent and easily automated.

• Thorium reactor uses same design as standard IC2 Uranium reactor, correct ?
    • If so, then one can do traditional IC2 (direct EU) or else 5x5x5 using exact same design with standard Uranium cells, but with Thorium cells swapped in ?
Yep, exact same reactor. You can use the same designs, although its best to look for thorium-specific designs that take advantage of the lower heat and neutron reflectors. Efficiency-7 designs are possible with Thorium.

What's the best resource or YouTube video for building the 5x5x5 reactor and all the supporting machines for:
      • Normal steam (easier) ?
      • Superheated steam (more complicated / picky) ?
Probably this thread unfortunately. There's a couple references to youtube videos in there in the first few pages.

Its worth mentioning here that Blood Asp's work on the LHE and Large Turbines may make the IC2 stuff redundant in some builds.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
@Pyure
MOX reactor useful for breeding Plutonium ?
It seems Fusion MkIII consumes Plutonium to produce Naquadah
I didn't know (or glossed over) the fact that you could produce naquadah with plutonium. I'll need to ensure I don't tear down my mox reactors then, which I was tempted to do when I saw how efficient a 5x5 thorium reactor was :)

Cuz yes, MOX reactors breed plutonium.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
My quarry already mined 12million blocks so yes it was over many different veins even uran :)
Oh ok. But obviously you're gonna get more "distributed" ores than "concentrated" ores with a blind quarry like that :p

I take it your BR reactor is currently a tiny reactor and two RC turbines atm?

Can you imagine how buff BR would be in this pack if you could do a closed water loop like that? :p

Blood Asp

Jul 29, 2019
My 2 cents about Reactors:
I remeber jason said that BR was added in place of the missing fusion. Now that fusion is in, BR does not really have a place in IT2... I would remove it in the next world breaking update. Until then lower the steam / rf ratio in the BR turbine. Down to 50% or even 33%.

Also i plan to boost the IC2 reactor soon, so it becomes interesting again.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
My 2 cents about Reactors:
I remeber jason said that BR was added in place of the missing fusion. Now that fusion is in, BR does not really have a place in IT2... I would remove it in the next world breaking update. Until then lower the steam / rf ratio in the BR turbine. Down to 50% or even 33%.
Now that you mention it, this rings a bell for me as well. Dunno if removing it is super necessary if its not seen to be causing a problem, options are fun.

You shouldn't have to do much. Your heat exchangers and large turbines are already making them very interesting.

Reactions: MigukNamja

Nickolas Wood

Jul 29, 2019
Now that you mention it, this rings a bell for me as well. Dunno if removing it is super necessary if its not seen to be causing a problem, options are fun.

I would second this. Making it a blocking tier and needing to do the conversion seams interesting. I am thinking of it as a less efficient/less costly/less productive stepping stone to better reactors. Using cyanite as a gating material is a nice solution for it.

Elthy

Jul 29, 2019
I wouldnt mind if it would be possible to transport GT batterys, but sadly i have to rely on IC2...

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
@Pyure

Thanks for the quick responses. I'll look at the Reflector-based, Efficiency 7 builds when I build my Thorium reactor. And, I imagine the 5x5x5 reactor setup will be lots of reading and watching videos. Good stuff to learn :)

I like !

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
I have a Big Reactor but only making 400eu/t with 13 reservoirs. (stupid water problem)
Then stop using reservoirs, they produce 1 bucket/second. The tier up from them is thirsty tank + guzzler glyphs which with a max of 6 glyphs produce 10 buckets/second. So replacing your reservoirs with thirsty tanks would drop it down to only being the size of a single reservoir for space and producing 50% more water.
I didn't know (or glossed over) the fact that you could produce naquadah with plutonium. I'll need to ensure I don't tear down my mox reactors then, which I was tempted to do when I saw how efficient a 5x5 thorium reactor was :)

Cuz yes, MOX reactors breed plutonium.
Note the fusion reactor also includes a recipe for plutonium with U238 + Helium. It actually includes recipes for U238 as well, Gold + Aluminium and Mercury + Magnesium.

Reactions: Pyure

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
The tier up from them is thirsty tank + guzzler glyphs which with a max of 6 glyphs produce 10 buckets/second. So replacing your reservoirs with thirsty tanks would drop it down to only being the size of a single reservoir for space and producing 50% more water.
Xavion, I'm quoting you on reddit here. Are you talking about the bolded mechanic? Does the thirsty tank function like an aqueous accumulator if adjacent to a water source?

Xavion The Redditor said:
  • Glyph of the Guzzler: Each glyph will reduce the time between actions by 35%. This stacks exponentially and is rounded to the nearest integer. The speeds from 0 glyphs to 6 glyphs is 30, 20, 13, 8, 5, 3, 2 for the amount of ticks between actions. This also increases the speed at which it generates water from rain, this is done by each glyph giving a 1/6 chance of making the next rain collection take only 2 ticks instead of 5. Actions are pumping fluid, generating water from a source, extracting with an envy rune, and milking with a bovine rune.

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
Xavion, I'm quoting you on reddit here. Are you talking about the bolded mechanic? Does the thirsty tank function like an aqueous accumulator if adjacent to a water source?
Yep, the way the thirsty tank works is that technically there is no generate water action, how it works is the pump action when used while adjacent to a water source block will just not consume any water from the world, it's otherwise identical to normal pumping with the tank. Technically it is a config option, of course I'd say don't disable it as without transfer nodes it's by far the most compact and effective water gen we have, transfer nodes only win because they can be brute forced anyway by having hundreds of copies in a single node really.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Yep, the way the thirsty tank works is that technically there is no generate water action, how it works is the pump action when used while adjacent to a water source block will just not consume any water from the world, it's otherwise identical to normal pumping with the tank. Technically it is a config option, of course I'd say don't disable it as without transfer nodes it's by far the most compact and effective water gen we have, transfer nodes only win because they can be brute forced anyway by having hundreds of copies in a single node really.
Last I checked transfer node liquid gen was disabled anyway, if that's what you're referring to.

I didn't know that, that's good info. It also makes BR Reactors way more plausible for BR Reactor -> GT/IC2 Generator-type setups.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Re: Batteries

So far, I'm pure GT and not using IC2 power storage at all. In previous worlds, I've gone through MFSUs as an intermediate step between 512v 'Large' batteries and 8192v Energy Orbs.

I'm assuming it's feasible to stay pure GT and skip MFSUs, but please confirm. Reason I ask is I just got my 1st MOX reactor setup at 80% heat and ~660 EU/t, but I got nowhere to send all that lovely power ! I think I can produce Energy Orbs with my 512v tiers of machines, but am not 100% sure.

Also, any downside to running a MOX at 80% ? So far, it's been sitting powered off at 80% for about 2 hours now and no block damage - just hurty if I get too close. At 85%, blocks around would catch on fire or turn to lava - not good ! I re-built the reactor and it's now 80% heat.