[1.7.10][LISTED] InfiTech 2 Modpack v3.2.21 [HQM][GregTech balanced hard-mode modpack]

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Tsuko

Jul 29, 2019
RTG is that radioisotope thermoeletric generator? seems RTG's has no moving parts, is that passive nuclear reactor?

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
RTG is that radioisotope thermoeletric generator? seems RTG's has no moving parts, is that passive nuclear reactor?
Sort of. See this article for the real-world version. It's inefficient and its output is low, but it generates power passively and it can last decades in the real world, which translates into "forever" in the context of modded Minecraft.

Reactions: Tsuko

Tsuko

Jul 29, 2019
Sort of. See this article for the real-world version. It's inefficient and its output is low, but it generates power passively and it can last decades in the real world, which translates into "forever" in the context of modded Minecraft.
I was reading that wiki lol :D i'm not sure how it translated into minecraft though, learning real life things in minecraft is fun :)

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
Originally he figured that because machines and cables are lossy, it would be more inefficient to spam them. In a sense, he's half-right: 4 LV generators may be more efficient than 1 MV generator, but its probably difficult or impossible to make 16 LV generators as efficient as a single HV generator, due to all the transformer boxes you have to go through etc.
Don't battery buffers accept any voltage though? Just pump 16 LVs into single HV storage or something and pump HV power out, and voila! No more massive loss from changing up voltage due to transformers everywhere. That's the first thought that comes to my mind anyway for how to deal with such an issue, although it's not viable for changing down voltages you generally don't have anywhere near as much issues doing for lacking power output at least.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
And not enough for some other people. So what? I'm beginning to resent these insinuations. We're all posting from our respective viewpoints here, and I am going from the assumption that my viewpoint doesn't count more or less than anyone else's.
Its not an insinuation, its an outright statement.

Your vote is valid and so is mine, but when you continuously toss out complaints about the grind, and lack of passive power, and having to babysit your generators, and all the rest, you give the loud impression that you're trying to bring the pack closer to what you're familiar with and farther away from what a gregtech player is familiar with. My vote is to preserve the pack as a hard-mode pack such as the description suggests. With all those things you hate so much.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Don't battery buffers accept any voltage though? Just pump 16 LVs into single HV storage or something and pump HV power out, and voila! No more massive loss from changing up voltage due to transformers everywhere. That's the first thought that comes to my mind anyway for how to deal with such an issue, although it's not viable for changing down voltages you generally don't have anywhere near as much issues doing for lacking power output at least.
Yeah I didn't even consider that. Like I said, I think its a bit of silliness. Look forward to seeing what GT6 does.

Reactions: MigukNamja

Azor

Jul 29, 2019
Is there any way to get back my precious soldering alloy from assembler input slot?

Last edited:

Elthy

Jul 29, 2019
@Blood Asp
I have a few questions about the nuclear reactor setup you posted (the one in the imgur album):
Why do you need a fluid reactor when heating up the coolant cells?
Whats the use of those Heat Capacity Platings?
"But still only uses half of the heat the Primary Reactor can produce." Whats the bottleneck?
How would efficency suffer if i used stirling generators instead?

Swarmski

Jul 29, 2019
Is the only way to get helium from endstone dust in the centrifuge? Can't see anything else in the NEI

Blood Asp

Jul 29, 2019
@Blood Asp
I have a few questions about the nuclear reactor setup you posted (the one in the imgur album):
Why do you need a fluid reactor when heating up the coolant cells?
Whats the use of those Heat Capacity Platings?
"But still only uses half of the heat the Primary Reactor can produce." Whats the bottleneck?
How would efficency suffer if i used stirling generators instead?
Only coolant cells heated up in a fluid reactor can be cooled down in a fluid reactor. These heated up in a EU Reactor do not work there.
The Heat Platings are only to fill all empty slots to make automation easier.
The Primary Reactor heats about 4x as many coolant cells as the secondary ones can cool down. In my case, the primary was only running half the time and the two secondary reactors full time.
Using superheated steam gives ~50% extra EU compared with stirlings. Using sterlings for EU lowers the efficiency of the fluid reactor so much, producing EU directly produces allmost the same amount, but is much easier.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
How much energy does the macerator use? I cant find inforamtion about it in NEI...
The power requirements for all GT machines vary by recipe. Check the recipes on a macerator you've built (click on the arrow). Also, power use depends on the machine's level. An advanced macerator operates twice as fast and uses twice the total power for an operation, so that's four times the power per tick of the original recipe.

Reactions: Pyure

Elthy

Jul 29, 2019
NEI doest show any poweruse for macerator recepies, propably because it replaces the IC2 macerator.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
NEI doest show any poweruse for macerator recepies, propably because it replaces the IC2 macerator.
I just tested in creative. I was actually curious myself for when you get into the byproduct recipes (HV+)

LV is 825 eu/ore
HV is approx. 3262 eu/ore
EV (2048) is approx. 6666 eu/ore (lapotron batteries don't give precise numbers on how much energy they have)

Tested with GT Iron Ore in all cases, with full batteries in each machine (after filling the machine buffers and replacing those batteries)

Reactions: MigukNamja

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
(3) IC2 reactors: I have not been successful in keeping my MOX-fueled reactor at a constant heat level (except for the lowest). At all. I take some of the cooling elements out until the heat starts to rise, then wait until the reactor heat level is around 50-60% and things begin to look a little ominous (that would be around 900 degrees), but when I put the cooling elements back in the heat immediately starts to drop again, and drop very fast. If I put only some of the cooling elements back in the heat drops more slowly, but at some point other cooling elements melt. I have the impression the overclocked heat vents are to blame, since they take in heat faster than they disperse it, so there's less "usable" to keep the temperature high available at all times, and more heat bound up in the vents. Or have I overlooked something?
Got to test this tonight. Can confirm.

@Blood Asp, your reactor is incredibly efficient, but I don't see a way to stabilize the temperature. I'm not doing an active-cooled 5x5.

The overclocked heat vents also vent off reactor heat when the reactor isn't running.

Reign Dance

Jul 29, 2019
I am unfamiliar with creating servers. Could somebody tell me step-by-step how to make one? I clicked the "download server" button in the launcher and extracted everything to its own folder on my desktop. Then I double clicked the "ServerStart" file. A command prompt popped up and did its thing. It seems to have done its job, but I don't know what to do next.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Got to test this tonight. Can confirm.

@Blood Asp, your reactor is incredibly efficient, but I don't see a way to stabilize the temperature. I'm not doing an active-cooled 5x5.

The overclocked heat vents also vent off reactor heat when the reactor isn't running.
Meanwhile, the design you posted first is rock-stable. I was afraid it would take me a lot of fiddling around with the cooling elements to get this to high heat and stable, but it's really simple. Didn't take me more than a minute or two. Did you find a way to automate exchanging of the rods? As you mentioned, it's tricky given that there are two different kinds and their placement is important. I don't have the need yet, but I'm thinking of conduits controlled by Bluepower timers or counters, so that one type is exchanged first and its successfull exchange will trigger the exchange of the other type.

DarknessShadow

Jul 29, 2019
Meanwhile, the design you posted first is rock-stable. I was afraid it would take me a lot of fiddling around with the cooling elements to get this to high heat and stable, but it's really simple. Didn't take me more than a minute or two. Did you find a way to automate exchanging of the rods? As you mentioned, it's tricky given that there are two different kinds and their placement is important. I don't have the need yet, but I'm thinking of conduits controlled by Bluepower timers or counters, so that one type is exchanged first and its successfull exchange will trigger the exchange of the other type.
The Gregtech regulators can insert items into specific slots
also the Logistics Pipes Supplier Pipe can be upgraded to also insert into specific slots

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
Is there anyway to use a logistics pipe crafting table without using logistics pipes? Because I can't see anyway except crafting pipes to use one and I'd prefer not to have use one of those.