[1.7.10][LISTED] InfiTech 2 Modpack v3.2.21 [HQM][GregTech balanced hard-mode modpack]

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
This was valuable info Ieldra.
Crafting this thing took bloody forever. So many staff cores :\ no wonder people say GT works well with TC, they're both pretty grindy sometimes.
Well, it is a very high-end item. For that I think it's not too hard to make. Apart from that, I don't understand why you complain about this but take no issue with prospecting. I'd rather craft ten primal staves than having to search for a rare mineral vein. First, the grind can be reduced significantly by clever organization, just as in GT's occasional crafting grind, and second, you can be certain of the outcome after a given amount of time. The really grindy thing in Thaumcraft is moving aura nodes.

For what its worth, you can use silver caps instead of gold for an extra efficiency boost in the four elemental primals. Requires discounts from clothing though, I had void for the job.
Ah, I forgot that about silver caps. Since I don't have the 375-capacity staff (I found out about that in my test world after I had already made my staff) I have something to look forward to...

BTW, you already visited the Outer Lands, right? Did you have a better - i.e. easier to acquire - source for Alienis essentia than ender pearls? I just used up almost all my remaining pearls for the Eldritch Eyes. The other void-relevant aspects - tenebrae and vacuos - are easy to acquire from very common sources (I use silicon dust - ultimately sand - and trashcans - ultimately wood and stone), but alienis has been a problem ever since I started with the void-aspected stuff.

Sidenote: Infitech derp #1: I had set up my ebf to make a few stacks of steel overnight but forgot to connect more than one drum of oxygen.... grr...*slaps self*

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Well, it is a very high-end item. For that I think it's not too hard to make. Apart from that, I don't understand why you complain about this but take no issue with prospecting. I'd rather craft ten primal staves than having to search for a rare mineral vein. First, the grind can be reduced significantly by clever organization, just as in GT's occasional crafting grind, and second, you can be certain of the outcome after a given amount of time. The really grindy thing in Thaumcraft is moving aura nodes.
Woops, you mistook my wry humor for a real complaint :) If I didn't like the grind dude, I'd be playing something else.

Also: I really enjoy moving aura nodes, especially if I have a builder's wand. I dislike doing research. So, to each their own :)

Ah, I forgot that about silver caps. Since I don't have the 375-capacity staff (I found out about that in my test world after I had already made my staff) I have something to look forward to...
Yeah, I doubt its a huge improvement, but I couldn't make thaumium work or anything else. And to be fair, the Wikis I've seen agree with you on gold caps.

BTW, you already visited the Outer Lands, right? Did you have a better - i.e. easier to acquire - source for Alienis essentia than ender pearls? I just used up almost all my remaining pearls for the Eldritch Eyes. The other void-relevant aspects - tenebrae and vacuos - are easy to acquire from very common sources (I use silicon dust - ultimately sand - and trashcans - ultimately wood and stone), but alienis has been a problem ever since I started with the void-aspected stuff.
Not really, alienis is a pain in the ass. If you don't mind disassembling some eerie ruins, some of those blocks provide alienis. I believe that's what I did, and then I supplemented in a couple ender pearls, not many (like 5). Equal trade is your friend for that btw.

I see now btw why you're concerned about levels. Those focus enchantments eat a ton of xp. I need to get that enhanced brain in a jar thing from automagy next I think, so that I can hoard xp properly. (Bearing in mind you gain xp at a slower rate the more you have, so it pays off to store it in a jar if you really want to accumulate it). I also need a better source of xp all around. Might need to make a mob spawner room and turn off survival mode, although I dont really want to.

Sidenote: Infitech derp #1: I had set up my ebf to make a few stacks of steel overnight but forgot to connect more than one drum of oxygen.... grr...*slaps self*
Whatcha hoarding steel for outta curiousity? I'm still at a point where I make it with TC (I have 8 stacks of the stuff) but once I have a couple upgraded ebfs, it makes more sense to do it that way (the ebf wrought-iron recipe is pretty fast)

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Also: I really enjoy moving aura nodes, especially if I have a builder's wand. I dislike doing research. So, to each their own :)
What does a builder's wand have to do with moving aura nodes?

I see now btw why you're concerned about levels. Those focus enchantments eat a ton of xp. I need to get that enhanced brain in a jar thing from automagy next I think, so that I can hoard xp properly. (Bearing in mind you gain xp at a slower rate the more you have, so it pays off to store it in a jar if you really want to accumulate it). I also need a better source of xp all around. Might need to make a mob spawner room and turn off survival mode, although I dont really want to.
Yep. I had enough levels for a full upgrade of my excavation focus, but I haven't done any signficant upgrading ever since, and there are several foci that await upgrading. I made a brain in a jar but - don't laugh - I have no idea how to use it. How do you use it? There is also the enderio xp storage block whose name I forgot.

On the other hand, I have just found 11 wither skeleton skulls in one of my peaceful tables and soon I'lI have upgraded my ebf with nichrome coils (I have the coils but haven't placed them yet), so hopefully I'll have a flux-infused weapon soon. Add those Wither-proof glass blocks from the volcanoes, and I may have a rather easy time killing a Wither and getting a division sigil. After that, I can make a cursed earth mobtrap and collect xp with a vacuum hopper. The annoying part will be making the magnum torch I'll need in that case.

Whatcha hoarding steel for outta curiousity? I'm still at a point where I make it with TC (I have 8 stacks of the stuff) but once I have a couple upgraded ebfs, it makes more sense to do it that way (the ebf wrought-iron recipe is pretty fast)
I need tons of NAND chips for my AE2 startup (one 64k storage module = 448 NAND chips, to name an example). Each NAND chip needs half an ingot of steel for the item casing, and half an ingot of red alloy for the wire (that's why I said I need megatons of redstone).

I take it you have an automated alchemy setup for the steel? Odd that I didn't think of that, but you do need more metal for the metallum essence, right? That's probably why I didn't check that out. I have tons of metal ores now, and I don't know what to do with some of them so making steel by alchemy would be nice, but before I had my upgraded focus I didn't have that much.

Last edited:

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
What does a builder's wand have to do with moving aura nodes?
Quicker to place the glass. I don't do anything clever when I move nodes, I just move nodes and repair them with the the stabilizer if they go pale.

Yep. I had enough levels for a full upgrade of my excavation focus, but I haven't done any signficant upgrading ever since, and there are several foci that await upgrading. I made a brain in a jar but - don't laugh - I have no idea how to use it. How do you use it?
No laughter from me. For the regular brain in a jar, its an xp vacuum as far as I can tell. I think it may only have a 1-block range (not sure) but it captures xp orbs and releases them when you right-click the jar. I have one beside my infernal furnace for the (rare) recipes that produce xp. (I've actually cooked several stacks of cobble just for the xp, at the cost of a jar or two of ignis)

Automagy has an advanced brain (I forget what its called) that you can apparently dump your own xp into manually.

I need tons of NAND chips for my AE2 startup (one 64k storage module = 384 NAND chips, to name an example). Each NAND chip needs half an ingot of steel for the item casing, and half an ingot of red alloy for the wire (that's why I said I need megatons of redstone)
Got it, that's not too bad :)
Btw I've always felt there should be an alternative recipe for NAND chips that doesn't use piles of redstone. No idea what it should be, or what my compelling argument would be, I just find it odd that the same recipe from the electrical stone age is required.

Regarding your staff: I tested with a silverwood staff (200 capacity) with 2 focus(?) enhancements and 1 enlarge enhancement. I wasn't impressed so far, so I hope the primal version is a good improvement. The advanced diamond drill is way better imo, ghost block desyncs notwithstanding.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Btw I've always felt there should be an alternative recipe for NAND chips that doesn't use piles of redstone. No idea what it should be, or what my compelling argument would be, I just find it odd that the same recipe from the electrical stone age is required.
I agree somewhat. The MV tier resulted in an improvement since you can't make molten steel with an LV fluid extractor and can't shape metal with an LV extruder. So now I need half an ingot of steel per chip rather than the full ingot I needed in the LV age. The LV tier halved the material requirement for the red alloy wire *and* halved the number of wires you need with the assembler recipe for the NAND chip. Still, red alloy is very expensive in redstone, and given GT's design principle that advancing in tech results in less material requirements and more complex processing, I'd have expected an improvement in making red alloy at some time - something along the lines of doubling the output of the recipe. One ingot per ingot of copper and four redstone is disappointing.

Regarding your staff: I tested with a silverwood staff (200 capacity) with 2 focus(?) enhancements and 1 enlarge enhancement. I wasn't impressed so far, so I hope the primal version is a good improvement. The advanced diamond drill is way better imo, ghost block desyncs notwithstanding.
I recommend not to use the enlarge enhancement, it doesn't give you a reliable mining area but a somewhat random star shape. The defining upgrade is the potency upgrade. I have potency*4 plus silk touch, and then add another potency level from the staff.

Last edited:

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Still, red alloy is very expensive in redstone, and given GT's design principle that advancing in tech results in less material requirements and more complex processing, I'd have expected an improvement in making red alloy at some time - something along the lines of doubling the output of the recipe. One ingot per ingot of copper and four redstone is disappointing.
If you can think of a good mid/lateish game recipe, I'll probably support it in my next weekly jason-harassment session.

Good tip regarding enlarge, I didn't realize that. I imagine that's still a good way to go with foci for the arcane bores, but you're right, it seems pretty unreliable for manual mining.

If you haven't tried the advanced diamond drill yet, its worth a spin. As far as I can tell you have all the tech for it already. The only con is that it really does require a battery of some sort, and you may need to take up your body slot to wear it.

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
For primal crusher vs advanced diamond drill, tests indicate they're basically dead even in speed at eff 5 with 2.5 blocks per second through stone, so EU vs restorer/vis/patience for durability, the crusher also has a builtin magnet feature which is rather nifty but the 3x3 feature doesn't work on GT blocks which is a downside.

As for metal casing, there is a mold for that so you can lower it to only 6 nuggets of metal per casing while still with a steam alloy smelter, none of that two ingots a casing nonsense.

For an alternative NAND recipe, maybe something like silicon plate + 4 copper wiring + 288 liquid redstone for 4 chips? Makes it four times cheaper in copper and redstone but requires MV tech and silicon instead of steel, brings it more in line with all the other circuitry though which is nifty. Generally something similar to the circuit board recipes should be good though.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
If you haven't tried the advanced diamond drill yet, its worth a spin. As far as I can tell you have all the tech for it already. The only con is that it really does require a battery of some sort, and you may need to take up your body slot to wear it.
I probably have the tech, until a few days ago the problem was I never had enough power stored. Now with an MFSU, that's not so much of a problem anymore. I'll see if I can figure this thing out.

As for an alternative NAND chip recipe, I think Xavion may be on to something here. I gather he meant "Etched MV wiring" because that's made from copper, so the recipe would be "Silicon plate + 4 Etched MV wiring + 288 liquid redstone = 4 NAND chips" for an MV assembler, say, with 64 EU/t. Would be a little awkward to craft though, since without the redstone you'd get a basic circuit board instead.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
For primal crusher vs advanced diamond drill, tests indicate they're basically dead even in speed at eff 5 with 2.5 blocks per second through stone, so EU vs restorer/vis/patience for durability, the crusher also has a builtin magnet feature which is rather nifty but the 3x3 feature doesn't work on GT blocks which is a downside.

As for metal casing, there is a mold for that so you can lower it to only 6 nuggets of metal per casing while still with a steam alloy smelter, none of that two ingots a casing nonsense.

For an alternative NAND recipe, maybe something like silicon plate + 4 copper wiring + 288 liquid redstone for 4 chips? Makes it four times cheaper in copper and redstone but requires MV tech and silicon instead of steel, brings it more in line with all the other circuitry though which is nifty. Generally something similar to the circuit board recipes should be good though.
3x3 bugging on GT ores is a total deal-breaker sadly. That's a shame because builtin-magnet is awesome.

Your recipe makes sense as far as I'm concerned. Anyone wanna minetweak-script it? :p

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Your recipe makes sense as far as I'm concerned. Anyone wanna minetweak-script it? :p
Perhaps an alternative that doesn't conflict with the basic circuit recipe:

1 silicon foil + 1 etched mv wiring + 72 liquid redstone = 1 NAND chip. Exactly the same material costs per chip, only with one added processing step. I've never used MineTweaker, I'll have to look into it. Does anyone know the parameter list for the assembler.addRecipe method?

Last edited:

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Makes sense. Also @Xavion, I think @Ieldra said it was half an ingot per casing, not two ingots per casing. That would be 4.5 nuggets, slightly better than your 6 nuggets.
The steel requirements I knew was 2 ingots in the steam age, one in LV and half an ingot at MV and later, so Xavion's recipe is an improvement until you get to MV.

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
It doesn't conflict Leldra as the circuit boards are made in the forming press and not the assembler.

So something like this for the script? I used 33 EU/t as it already requires silicon which is the same difficulty as aluminum and they are meant to be relatively simple. So an MV assembler but barely.
Code:
mods.gregtech.AssemblerLiq(<gregtech:gt.metaitem.01:32700>, <ore:plateSilicon>, 4 * <gregtech:gt.metaitem.01:32716>, <liquid:molten.redstone> * 288, 64, 33);

Also yes a cutting saw gives two casing per ingot, but until you've got one the mold is amazing as it's 3x more then without it which is great while you're still getting into LV. So yeah, naive way is 2 ingots per casing, mold is 2 per 3 casing, and once you hit LV cutting saw gives 2 per plate for the max efficiency. No gains above LV.

Reactions: Pyure

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
I just found out that you can use flux-infused swords in peaceful tables. Nice. In the past, the peaceful table refused powered weapons. I guess here goes my blaze rod shortage, and with it my energetic alloy shortage, and with it my vibrant alloy shortage....almost.

@Xavion:
The recipe I've been using for the casings is an assembler recipe using liquid steel. Material costs are identical to the cutting saw's, but you don't need water. Also, I didn't know the LV cutter can cut steel.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I just found out that you can use flux-infused swords in peaceful tables. Nice. In the past, the peaceful table refused powered weapons. I guess here goes my blaze rod shortage, and with it my energetic alloy shortage, and with it my vibrant alloy shortage....almost.
Funny you say that, I was wondering specifically about this this morning.

I also look forward to flux-infused pickaxes if I bother to revisit my pneumaticcraft drone mining slave operations.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Well, that was a fast death in the Outer Lands. I didn't last a minute, and that on Easy? What do I have to do to survive here?

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Well, that was a fast death in the Outer Lands. I didn't last a minute, and that on Easy? What do I have to do to survive here?
For me, two things:
* Half-decent armor. Doesn't have to be spectacular for the guardians, it takes them several hits to kill you unless you get withered.
* If a spider seems to disappear while attacking you, its because its now on your head. Look straight up and attack there, seriously.

Now, any videos I've seen show people melting enemies with various damage wands. For me, I just used an enchanted sword of the zephyr. With the vampiric enchant, I can slowly wail on anything without suffering any real damage, I heal faster than I die.

Reactions: Ieldra

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
For me, two things:
* Half-decent armor. Doesn't have to be spectacular for the guardians, it takes them several hits to kill you unless you get withered.
* If a spider seems to disappear while attacking you, its because its now on your head. Look straight up and attack there, seriously.

Now, any videos I've seen show people melting enemies with various damage wands. For me, I just used an enchanted sword of the zephyr. With the vampiric enchant, I can slowly wail on anything without suffering any real damage, I heal faster than I die.
Thanks. I appreciated an excuse to create an osmotic enchanter. The armor will take a little longer... not today, unfortunately.