[1.7.10][LISTED] InfiTech 2 Modpack v3.2.21 [HQM][GregTech balanced hard-mode modpack]

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Interesting to hear. I'm going to need such xp. Regarding weapons and armor, it happens that I spent the better part of the weekend making a GraviChestplate (wow, that's a crazy recipe. 1.5 stacks of iridium, about 6-8 of iron and copper each and 12-16 stacks of tin and coal dust to start with, and then you use part of that to make 96 coolant cells that don't stack, plus some other stuff) and a primal staff that adds +1 potency to any focus you use. I can tell you, mining with that thing is awesome. Still, I'll make an Ender quarry for my yellorite needs since I'm fed up with walking kilometers of underground corridors. Better let an Enderquarry run at its default very slow speed for a few real-time days. I'll have to wait for my new chestplate to recharge for a few hours at a time anyway until I have solved the power problem in a satisfactory manner.

Meanwhile, are there new methods to import power into GT in v3? Or are we stuck with the horribly inefficient PneumaticCraft conversion? You know, I'm tempted to add Power Converters just to get around that problem, and I don't think it would be against the spirit of the pack since the goal, if I recall things correctly, was seamless conversion to GT. GT to RF is possible with capacitor banks, but that's not the direction you need if you're running a Big Reactor.

Also, does anyone know how difficult it is to convert ComputerCraft programs to OpenComputers?

I should check out this primal staff thing of yours. How does it compare to mining with an advanced diamond drill?

Conversion with PC is 100% efficient. If you do it right you can get optimal 4:1 conversion. The problem is that its HARD, and it becomes inefficient if you try to scale it all within a single conversion setup. You can probably do around 1000-2000 rf/t conversion in a single setup while still retaining 90-100 efficiency.

Anything else is wuss-mode as far as I'm concerned, given how much ridiculous power you can get from BR. Even at 50% efficiency its ridiculous. No offense :)

Seriously though, I suspect 10 stacks of yellorite will probably get you in and out of the fission age and into fusion, I wouldn't worry too much about how you'll get the stuff. Bear in mind that you reclaim 50% of your yellorium via the reprocessor.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
I should check out this primal staff thing of yours. How does it compare to mining with an advanced diamond drill?

Conversion with PC is 100% efficient. If you do it right you can get optimal 4:1 conversion. The problem is that its HARD, and it becomes inefficient if you try to scale it all within a single conversion setup. You can probably do around 1000-2000 rf/t conversion in a single setup while still retaining 90-100 efficiency.

Anything else is wuss-mode as far as I'm concerned, given how much ridiculous power you can get from BR. Even at 50% efficiency its ridiculous. No offense :)

Seriously though, I suspect 10 stacks of yellorite will probably get you in and out of the fission age and into fusion, I wouldn't worry too much about how you'll get the stuff. Bear in mind that you reclaim 50% of your yellorium via the reprocessor.
I have never built an advanced diamond drill, so I have no idea about how it compares. Can you mine with it at a distance? What I do is basically stand there and point my staff around for the 20-30 seconds it takes me to dismantle a 20x7 wall, then go and collect, repeat as desired.

The thing about the yellorite - I probably won't need that much for actual power generation, but I'll need that much in order to get enough cyanite for a big turbine. What do you mean by "scaling it all within a single conversion setup"?

As for getting into fusion, that's a resource problem. I'll need another iridium vein before I can go there. Or try my hand at replicating stuff.

Edit:
What exactly is hard about the PC power conversion?

Last edited:
Reactions: Pyure

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
That staff thing sounds awesome. I'd do it with a magnet item (We have at least 1 or 2 in the pack) or possibly a couple of Luggage items to scavenge all the goodies *dun think we have openblocks*)

For your big turbine, you may have to start with a small turbine while you crank out a bit more cyanite to expand.

For multiple setups: A single flux compressor/pneumatic generator setup can only do so much before it starts to get hot. Once it gets above 50C, you start to see performance impact. You can mitigate all this with a ton of heatsinks/compressed blocks, up to a point where all the cooling in the world isn't fast enough to keep up. At this point you should create another conversion pair.

What you end up with is a wicked, industrial RF/Compressed-Air conversion factory to handle all that cheap RF efficiently.

Last edited:

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Word of warning to anyone trying to do the advanced alchemical furnace thing for the first time: it requires a primordial pearl thingy you can only get from the outer lands, and the recipe suggests you'll need two of them. But its not consumed in the recipe. Apparently this is true for some recipes but not all.

I found this out by accident and I nearly went to find another.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
That staff thing sounds awesome. I'd do it with a magnet item (We have at least 1 or 2 in the pack) or possibly a couple of Luggage items to scavenge all the goodies *dun think we have openblocks*)

For your big turbine, you may have to start with a small turbine while you crank out a bit more cyanite to expand.

For multiple setups: A single flux compressor/pneumatic generator setup can only do so much before it starts to get hot. Once it gets above 50C, you start to see performance impact. You can mitigate all this with a ton of heatsinks/compressed blocks, up to a point where all the cooling in the world isn't fast enough to keep up. At this point you should create another conversion pair.

What you end up with is a wicked, industrial RF/Compressed-Air conversion factory to handle all that cheap RF efficiently.
Ah....you know, the in-game wiki says the flux compressor and the pneumatic generator have 40% efficiency, so I thought I'd end up with a total power conversion efficiency of 0.4*0.4 = 16%. If you say that you can reach 90+, that totally changes the picture.

And starting with a smaller turbine is probably a good idea. The worse problem is control. I used to control reactors with MFR's rednet controller, but we don't have that. I could probably rig something up with Automagy's redcrystal and Bluepower logic, but only for a passive reactor. For active ones that isn't sufficient, and for that reason there are a few CC programs floating around but I don't know if they can be adapted to OpenComputers, and I do enough programming in my job that I don't want to develop new ones in my gaming time beyond a certain complexity-

As for the magnet, I forgot I wanted to make an EnderIO magnet, but back then I didn't have any blaze powder. You don't want to know my reaction when I noticed that energetic alloy needs blaze powder instead of redstone and glowstone.

Also, thanks for the warning.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Ah....you know, the in-game wiki says the flux compressor and the pneumatic generator have 40% efficiency, so I thought I'd end up with a total power conversion efficiency of 0.4*0.4 = 16%. If you say that you can reach 90+, that totally changes the picture.

And starting with a smaller turbine is probably a good idea. The worse problem is control. I used to control reactors with MFR's rednet controller, but we don't have that. I could probably rig something up with Automagy's redcrystal and Bluepower logic, but only for a passive reactor. For active ones that isn't sufficient, and for that reason there are a few CC programs floating around but I don't know if they can be adapted to OpenComputers, and I do enough programming in my job that I don't want to develop new ones in my gaming time beyond a certain complexity-

As for the magnet, I forgot I wanted to make an EnderIO magnet, but back then I didn't have any blaze powder. You don't want to know my reaction when I noticed that energetic alloy needs blaze powder instead of redstone and glowstone.

Also, thanks for the warning.
I should have clarified that, you're right.

PC defaults to 40% conversion for each conversion (you need to do two). That's not suitable for us because a) its one of the only ways to do conversion, and b) it already takes efficiency hits from heat, and c) it requires tons of infrastructure, and d) nobody uses pneumaticcraft anyway.

Jason kindly agreed on this point and so the only negatives now are that you can't do a full reactor's output on one compressor due to heat and it needs be initially pressurized to ~15 bars before it converts anything.

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
Word of warning to anyone trying to do the advanced alchemical furnace thing for the first time: it requires a primordial pearl thingy you can only get from the outer lands, and the recipe suggests you'll need two of them. But its not consumed in the recipe. Apparently this is true for some recipes but not all.
Yeah as a general rule most things don't actually consume the pearls, although there isn't much uses in this pack as Automagy has none afaik. So your three uses are the advanced furnace which doesn't consume it, the primal crusher which does consume it, and primal node manipulation which does consume it, the crusher is the shovel of the earthmover+pickaxe of the core super tool and node manipulation consists of pegging the pearl at a node to improve it, capable of doing things like changing nodes to bright or giving more primal aspects to them. See this post on reddit for details, also includes some nifty other info relating things like hungry nodes or champion mobs.

On a different note I was poking around and discovered that you can power magic absorbers with centivis, you need a lot of centivis to max them for the higher tier generators but it seems viable if you're willing to spam nodes. Anything after MV is basically useless thanks to HV and EV needing neutronium to make which needs a T3 fusion reactor which kind of obsoletes your lower tier power needs, for MV though to achieve max power of 128 EU/t you'd need 45 centivis of a single aspect I believe, the formula is exponential though so 97 centivis of a single aspect is enough for 2048 EU/t from what I can tell, of course that needs neutronium and 97 is a rather absurd amount of centivis and hooking it up to a network renders any nodes it's connected to useless as it will drain every bit of centivis it can get. Well technically it will only drain up to 1000 centivis of each aspect but if you've got that much you've escalated far past sanity, I mean in theory if it wasn't for efficiency loss and capping out due to voltage tiers 1000 centivis would be worth 40mil EU/t so with your EV generator hooked up to the network you're only losing 99.995% of your potential power. Dragon eggs are still the most powerful though as they produce the 2048 EU/t before efficiency loss, dragon isn't that hard to kill either although the generators are a horrible pain to make.

On another note lava is actually decent power, best method I've found for it so far is via GT lava boilers which makes it slightly better then ethanol per bucket for power, easy to acquire but not easily renewable however. The only way seems to be phosphor which is bees only afaik, an option worth considering though for early game power with conduit + drum + thirsty tank to easily provide tons of lava.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Yeah as a general rule most things don't actually consume the pearls, although there isn't much uses in this pack as Automagy has none afaik. So your three uses are the advanced furnace which doesn't consume it, the primal crusher which does consume it, and primal node manipulation which does consume it, the crusher is the shovel of the earthmover+pickaxe of the core super tool and node manipulation consists of pegging the pearl at a node to improve it, capable of doing things like changing nodes to bright or giving more primal aspects to them. See this post on reddit for details, also includes some nifty other info relating things like hungry nodes or champion mobs.

On a different note I was poking around and discovered that you can power magic absorbers with centivis, you need a lot of centivis to max them for the higher tier generators but it seems viable if you're willing to spam nodes. Anything after MV is basically useless thanks to HV and EV needing neutronium to make which needs a T3 fusion reactor which kind of obsoletes your lower tier power needs, for MV though to achieve max power of 128 EU/t you'd need 45 centivis of a single aspect I believe, the formula is exponential though so 97 centivis of a single aspect is enough for 2048 EU/t from what I can tell, of course that needs neutronium and 97 is a rather absurd amount of centivis and hooking it up to a network renders any nodes it's connected to useless as it will drain every bit of centivis it can get. Well technically it will only drain up to 1000 centivis of each aspect but if you've got that much you've escalated far past sanity, I mean in theory if it wasn't for efficiency loss and capping out due to voltage tiers 1000 centivis would be worth 40mil EU/t so with your EV generator hooked up to the network you're only losing 99.995% of your potential power. Dragon eggs are still the most powerful though as they produce the 2048 EU/t before efficiency loss, dragon isn't that hard to kill either although the generators are a horrible pain to make.

On another note lava is actually decent power, best method I've found for it so far is via GT lava boilers which makes it slightly better then ethanol per bucket for power, easy to acquire but not easily renewable however. The only way seems to be phosphor which is bees only afaik, an option worth considering though for early game power with conduit + drum + thirsty tank to easily provide tons of lava.
45 centivis of a single aspect for a completely passive 128 EU/t? I'd say that's absolutely worth it. I regularly find nodes in the 70s and 80s of some aspects, with Terra and Perditio even 100+ isn't all that unheard of, so 5-7 nodes should do it. Even the HV version might be worth it in the long run should it not be possible to make a fusion reactor that powers everything needed to create its own fuel from water only (it's quite possible in ReactorCraft, but I haven't checked GregTech).

Also, neutronium is a thing in GregTech? You know, quite a few of the things we do in Minecraft are rather silly if you think what they would mean in reality. Such as carrying around "bedrockium ingots" that should weigh about 15000 tonnes apiece. What happens if you attempt to pick one up though? Nothing, you only walk a little slower... Meanwhile, a neutronium ingot would weigh approximately 10^12 tonnes. Ah well....anyway these items would be interesting in a magitech-oriented modpack where all power is generated from magic.

While we're at interesting features of magic, if you use a staff core instead of a rod in a sceptre recipe, you can make a staff with a storage capacity of 375 vis of every aspect. You won't be able to go beyond gold caps, because the vis needed to craft anything higher exceeds the best available sceptres and vis discount items, but since the caps only influence the vis discount, you'll have 375 vis at 10% discount, which can be considered better than 250 at 20%, and I don't even know if vis dicount applies to staffs in the first place.

Again, thanks for the extensive info. It appears I must get to the outer lands asap....

Reactions: Tsuko

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
Neutronium is a thing but can only be made in a T3 fusion reactor and due to recipes you'll require a stack of Naquadria to get enough neutronium for a EV magic gen. It's truly ludicrously expensive, that stack of naquadria plus over 70 billion EU so it would take about 3 weeks real time to pay itself off assuming you can find abuse HEE to get a ton of naquadah ore. The figure goes up to about two months without naquadah ore to get naquadria. Note those numbers halve if you just want a HV gen, except time to pay off which doubles due to the lower output.

But yeah, it could be effective for LV and MV power gen to be sure, although they do require the tier above in tech to create but it could definitely be good. In SSP the dragon egg is generally a much more appealing target, ender crystals in the end are worth 32 EU/t as well if you can get a setup for transferring power out and leave them in tact while killing the dragon.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
But yeah, it could be effective for LV and MV power gen to be sure, although they do require the tier above in tech to create but it could definitely be good. In SSP the dragon egg is generally a much more appealing target, ender crystals in the end are worth 32 EU/t as well if you can get a setup for transferring power out and leave them in tact while killing the dragon.
I'm not fond of "kill things to acquire resources" as a mechanic, but I have been able to mine the oddest things intact with a silk-touched tool. Can you get those ender crystals intact?

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I haven't figured out how to unlock the primal crusher, any tips?

My sanity (or lack thereof) is past the second gold band. I'm pretty close to cracking at this point.

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
I haven't figured out how to unlock the primal crusher, any tips?
I honestly don't know what your issue is, there are four researches required to unlock it as far as I can tell and nothing else special as a requirement. They are void metal, the pickaxe of the core, the shovel of the earthmover, and the primordial pearl, if you've got all four of those I'm afraid I can't help as I really can't see anything else as a requirement.

It's worth noting here though it's 3x3 feature doesn't seem to work on gregtech blocks, works fine on vanilla, chisel, and bluepower from my quick tests but not gregtech, also doesn't work on endstone for some reason.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I honestly don't know what your issue is, there are four researches required to unlock it as far as I can tell and nothing else special as a requirement. They are void metal, the pickaxe of the core, the shovel of the earthmover, and the primordial pearl, if you've got all four of those I'm afraid I can't help as I really can't see anything else as a requirement.

It's worth noting here though it's 3x3 feature doesn't seem to work on gregtech blocks, works fine on vanilla, chisel, and bluepower from my quick tests but not gregtech, also doesn't work on endstone for some reason.
You don't give yourself enough credit sir, you already identified hte problem.

I never researched the pickaxe :)

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
I never researched the pickaxe :)
You didn't guess it was needed from the post you quoted saying it was the shovel of the earthmover + pickaxe of the core? Because that's why I was confused as to what you could've missed.

SolManX

Jul 29, 2019
Hehe, just found out why it's not good to use CESU's over batteries and buffers. You can't pick them back up since neither GT nor IC2 wrenches work.

Have to start working on batteries!

EDIT: Pyure kindly showed me the error of my ways.

Last edited:

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Hehe, just found out why it's not good to use CESU's over batteries and buffers. You can't pick them back up since neither GT nor IC2 wrenches work.

Have to start working on batteries!
Wrenches work fine friend. You need to right-click the front of the CESU. Note that right-clicking any other side will face it to that side, so you can always right-click a CESU twice to remove it. (the GT mechanic is so much friendlier)

SolManX

Jul 29, 2019
Do you mean the 'output' side? The one with the hole?

I'm sure I tried that on the second one I broke. (The first one I broke with a pickaxe - what's on the WAILA tooltip for the CESU :( I nearly cried.)

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Do you mean the 'output' side? The one with the hole?

I'm sure I tried that on the second one I broke. (The first one I broke with a pickaxe - what's on the WAILA tooltip for the CESU :( I nearly cried.)
Yeah, don't try to break them :)

And yeah sorry I mean the output side. I knew I was talking nonsense when I typed it but I was a bit distracted.