[1.7.10][LISTED] InfiTech 2 Modpack v3.2.21 [HQM][GregTech balanced hard-mode modpack]

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Jason McRay

Jul 29, 2019
I have found an issue with the v3 update, so unfortunately its not going to be out tomorrow. It will be little bit delayed. :(

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Note you'll have to spend five or ten minutes hiking around a magical forest at first, the beans only spawn in them after all and you'll want all six primals to be able to produce anything.

EDIT: Also I forgot it in my last post but the list of all infused crop rewards, avoid any aspects not on that list as they tend to lead to crashes iirc. Just don't let the seeds grow to fruition or something.

Xavion i wanna check out mana beans. I've been ransacking a magic forest. I have 51 aer, 26 ignis, 12 ordo, 2 aqua, 1 herba and zero Terra. Is that normal?

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
Xavion i wanna check out mana beans. I've been ransacking a magic forest. I have 51 aer, 26 ignis, 12 ordo, 2 aqua, 1 herba and zero Terra. Is that normal?
I think Terra was annoying for me too, that said it's just bad luck, all six primals + herba do spawn in the wild so it's just a matter of running around till you find them. A bit annoying to be sure but a required step.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
TC question. I wanna create a Pure Node near my base with a silverwood sapling. If I don't see a node right away when the tree grows, should I just chop it down immediately and try again? Or does the node soemtimes take a while to develop?

EchoingZen

Jul 29, 2019
TC question. I wanna create a Pure Node near my base with a silverwood sapling. If I don't see a node right away when the tree grows, should I just chop it down immediately and try again? Or does the node soemtimes take a while to develop?
Correct.. it won't get one if it's not there from the start.

Reactions: Pyure

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
TC tip, while bone meal doesn't work on silverwoods iirc the hoe of growth does work on them perfectly fine. It can also be repaired in a thaumic restorer I'm pretty sure so if you don't have one it could be a very useful investment, makes any kind of crop managing or silverwood farming a ton easier as with the effectively infinite durability from the restorer it's basically a 3x3 hoe + infinite bone meal which is quite handy.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
TC tip, while bone meal doesn't work on silverwoods iirc the hoe of growth does work on them perfectly fine. It can also be repaired in a thaumic restorer I'm pretty sure so if you don't have one it could be a very useful investment, makes any kind of crop managing or silverwood farming a ton easier as with the effectively infinite durability from the restorer it's basically a 3x3 hoe + infinite bone meal which is quite handy.
I just finished my infusion altar for exactly that :)

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Thanks guys. As much as I'm half-decent at GT stuff, I'm still a newbie when it comes to thaumcraft stuff.

Screenshot of my palace of magnificence +4. Yes I still have dirt wall patches. My single concession to anything aesthetic? I put marble underneath the candles for the infusion altar. No idea why I bothered.

Interestingly I notice that the magical forest biome doesn't expand uniformly. I've been monitoring it and there's still little patches of previous biome which I presume will fill in shortly. I hope they do fill in properly.

@Ieldra, try to find these fir trees on the right. Three trees easily cover all my wood needs and take a couple of seconds to chop down. A single tree is 1-2 stacks of wood and lots of saplings. Critical: they have no branches.

2015-05-31_22.53.56.jpg

EchoingZen

Jul 29, 2019
Also, expect not to get a real silverwood tree farm going right off the bat. It is possible to not get any saplings in multiple
Thanks guys. As much as I'm half-decent at GT stuff, I'm still a newbie when it comes to thaumcraft stuff.

Screenshot of my palace of magnificence +4. Yes I still have dirt wall patches. My single concession to anything aesthetic? I put marble underneath the candles for the infusion altar. No idea why I bothered.

Interestingly I notice that the magical forest biome doesn't expand uniformly. I've been monitoring it and there's still little patches of previous biome which I presume will fill in shortly. I hope they do fill in properly.

@Ieldra, try to find these fir trees on the right. Three trees easily cover all my wood needs and take a couple of seconds to chop down. A single tree is 1-2 stacks of wood and lots of saplings. Critical: they have no branches.

View attachment 19918
Those patches will fill in. Also, just wait until you get a wand of equal trade. It's amazing for fixing dirt patches and such in walls.

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
Also, expect not to get a real silverwood tree farm going right off the bat. It is possible to not get any saplings in multiple
See my previous comment about the thaumium grafter from magic bees, it boosts the chance of getting saplings to 1 in 10 when breaking leaves with it so you can expect easily 10-20 saplings a tree. Note though it only has 16 durability and drains your hunger when doing so so a high repair enchant and some food would be very useful when working with it.

EchoingZen

Jul 29, 2019
See my previous comment about the thaumium grafter from magic bees, it boosts the chance of getting saplings to 1 in 10 when breaking leaves with it so you can expect easily 10-20 saplings a tree. Note though it only has 16 durability and drains your hunger when doing so so a high repair enchant and some food would be very useful when working with it.
I swore the thaumium grafter was the same sapling chance, just had the ability to get repair on it. Was it always like that?

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
I swore the thaumium grafter was the same sapling chance, just had the ability to get repair on it. Was it always like that?
It does have the same chance as a normal grafter normally, however for greatwood and silverwood leaves only it instead uses a configurable chance from the config which defaults to 10%. It does seem to have been in there forever too, with the git repository it seems that the first iteration of special code for greatwood/silverwood was added in march 2013, although I'm not sure how it worked then and it did work differently from the current version.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014

I have been using these trees already. Very nice. It's hard on the axes though. Can you recommend a good high-durability material that I can make if I have a good complement of LV-tier machines, but don't have an electric blast furnace yet?

BTW, manual "tree power" is nice, but I still feel like I spend way too much time shoveling coal, or rather charcoal. Now that I have an EnderIO alloy furnace (=can make reservoirs and item and fluid conduits) that's bound to get better, but with my power setup eating up a piece of charcoal every 23 seconds, plus the three blast furnaces some automation of the farming would be nice. I've looked into the installed mods - quite a few options but none are satisfactory or achieveable at this point: Thaumcraft (with golems getting stuck on low-hanging leaves every 20 minutes), Forestry (requires apatite which I don't have, and I don't produce enough ashes to make fertilizer production feasible) Enderio (requires stainless steel which I can't make yet) and Pneumaticcraft (dito). What are other people doing at this point for renewable power?

Also, more questions_

(1) About power storage: Can I make banks of battery buffers (same amperage) and keep them all on the same power line without things exploding, and will machines draw their power from whatever buffer has some automatically? I feel I'm wasting a lot of charcoal in times when my machines aren't active, and since I only process ores when I need the materials that actually happens sometimes. Meanwhile, when I want to run my Thermal Centrifuge naturally my power setup can't keep up with its continuous use, and one buffer is empty all too soon. Sodium batteries are cheap enough that you can spam them...

(2) If a machine is connected to a power line with higher amperage than it needs, will that cause problems? I've seens someone do it in a video, but that wasn't Infitech...

(3) Is there any way to store gases except in cells? I see various different containers in NEI, but no way to fill them. Or are they treated as liquids and I can just pump them out? Also, if I want to get rid of stuff - such as the chlorine from electrolyzing salt - what are my options (apart from the plunger)?

(4) Generally about machine configuration: right-clicking with a wrench will move a machine's output. OK. I can also use the screwdriver to tell it it can input and output on the same side. However, what moves a machine's input if I don't want it to be at the same side of the output? My attemps at Gregtech automation are currently on hold because I don't have a consistent answer to "where is the input slot and how can I move it"?

Jason McRay

Jul 29, 2019
(1) About power storage: Can I make banks of battery buffers (same amperage) and keep them all on the same power line without things exploding, and will machines draw their power from whatever buffer has some automatically? I feel I'm wasting a lot of charcoal in times when my machines aren't active, and since I only process ores when I need the materials that actually happens sometimes. Meanwhile, when I want to run my Thermal Centrifuge naturally my power setup can't keep up with its continuous use, and one buffer is empty all too soon. Sodium batteries are cheap enough that you can spam them...but oddly enough, I have more antimony than lead for the battery alloy..

(2) If a machine is connected to a power line with higher amperage than it needs, will that cause problems? I've seens someone do it in a video, but that wasn't Infitech...

(3) Is there any way to store gases except in cells? I see various different containers in NEI, but no way to fill them. Or are they treated as liquids and I can just pump them out? Also, if I want to get rid of stuff - such as the chlorine from electrolyzing salt - what are my options (apart from the plunger)?

(4) Generally about machine configuration: right-clicking with a wrench will move a machine's output. OK. I can also use the screwdriver to tell it it can input and output on the same side. However, what moves a machine's input if I don't want it to be at the same side of the output? My attemps at Gregtech automation are currently on hold because I don't have a consistent answer to "where is the input slot and how can I move it"?

(1) Yes you can. Although keep in mind that every battery in the buffer = 1A, so if you will make 3 buffers with 4 batteries each, it will still emit same EU, but amperage will be 3x4=12Amps. Machines will not explode, but the cables might burn if you will run too high amperage through them (you will need to use better cables)

(2) As I said above, machines will not explode due to high Amperages. High Amps = Wires burn, can catch fire, Voltage = Machines will explode. Also if wire will burn near machine, the machine might explode.

(3) GT Gases = liquids in most. So you can just pump it out with eIO conduits, BC Fluid Pipes, etc into anything that can store liquid.

(4) I am not sure with machine -> machine interaction, but i know that you can use pipes/conduits to insert from any side (except machines face).

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Thanks, Jason. Regarding machine input and output, what I tried to do is combine a fluid extractor with a fluid canning machine, having them side by side like TE's magma crucible and fluid transposer, and couldn't get it to work. The fluid was produced but didn't move over to the canner. I think there's some way to do this, I just haven't found it yet.

I should mention that I'm beginning to understand why people like Gregtech. It's really quite fascinating and offers countless possibilities, and there are several steps where progressing feels like a real achievement. Also, recipes may be complicated but they follow patterns so manual crafting isn't all that hard. I do have two production tables though, not for automation but for having eight crafting grids available where items don't fall out if I leave. So, I'll stick with Infitech, though I really don't look forward to having to repeat the prospecting when v3 comes around.

BTW, did I read that non-GT cables will be disabled in v3? I don't mind having to use GT's power system, but not having EnderIO energy conduits will be extremely inconvenient for certain builds. I don't suppose there is a way to make these conduits work with GT power (like, say basic conduits = MV, enhanced = HV, ender=EV)?

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
I have been using these trees already. Very nice. It's hard on the axes though. Can you recommend a good high-durability material that I can make if I have a good complement of LV-tier machines, but don't have an electric blast furnace yet?

BTW, manual "tree power" is nice, but I still feel like I spend way too much time shoveling coal, or rather charcoal. Now that I have an EnderIO alloy furnace (=can make reservoirs and item and fluid conduits) that's bound to get better, but with my power setup eating up a piece of charcoal every 23 seconds, plus the three blast furnaces some automation of the farming would be nice. I've looked into the installed mods - quite a few options but none are satisfactory or achieveable at this point: Thaumcraft (with golems getting stuck on low-hanging leaves every 20 minutes), Forestry (requires apatite which I don't have, and I don't produce enough ashes to make fertilizer production feasible) Enderio (requires stainless steel which I can't make yet) and Pneumaticcraft (dito). What are other people doing at this point for renewable power?
It depends what veins you've found but Steel and Cobalt are your best bet. Everything higher than those in durability takes an EBF or other machines to my knowledge, if you don't want to wait for steel iron does work and can still get a fair amount of trees in. As for automation I use golems, I use mega spruce with them so I probably wouldn't know of any issues with low hanging leaves, at least I've had none with the tens of thousands of logs it's produced.

Jason McRay

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks, Jason. Regarding machine input and output, what I tried to do is combine a fluid extractor with a fluid canning machine, having them side by side like TE's magma crucible and fluid transposer, and couldn't get it to work. The fluid was produced but didn't move over to the canner. I think there's some way to do this, I just haven't found it yet.
You need to press the button inside the machine GUI (i think its the left one to enable autooutput)

BTW, did I read that non-GT cables will be disabled in v3? I don't mind having to use GT's power system, but not having EnderIO energy conduits will be extremely inconvenient for certain builds. I don't suppose there is a way to make these conduits work with GT power (like, say basic conduits = MV, enhanced = HV, ender=EV)?
I remember CrazyPants saying that EU cables will appear, when IC2 enet is stable = probably never or at least not in 1.7.

There is also an option that someone will make an GT/eIO addon for those conduits :D