[1.7.10][LISTED] InfiTech 2 Modpack v3.2.21 [HQM][GregTech balanced hard-mode modpack]

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
It totally doesn't matter if I make redstone dust worth 20 atoms instead of 16 right? Also turns out I was being an idiot and this is way easier then I thought. For a different question, is there any way to add dummy items? Ones that aren't obtainable in any way but I can still use for my recipes? Because that would actually let me have carbon as a result of decomposing steel which it's not currently, still have to overcharge for synthesis though due to GT actually having a realisticish amount of carbon in it and minechem not liking that unless you like synthesising your steel dusts a stack at a time.

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
Properly back into things now! Spend an hour doing another 40 odd and readjusting the old ones to the old format as I decided it's easier then dealing with raw minetweaker scripts that are thousands of lines long. General notes.
  • Meteoric Iron was decided on as a Nickel-Iron alloy with very little nickel in it as that's what googling gives, just as a random FYI in case there is any issues.
  • You can't synthesise annealed copper, I could change that but the dust is basically a less functional version of copper dust so there isn't really a point.
  • Blue and Red steel are evil and horrible, I'll do it again in the morning when I can think better as those compositions are horrible to work out.
  • I adjusted diamond cost to four carbon nanotubes so it's now in line with the implosion compressor so diamond dust decomposition can be re-enabled. Still the exploit with electrolysing to ashes first for 1:1 ratio but it costs an extra 650k RF and 22.4k EU so it may just be worth ignoring it as you're just saving a half stack of tnt for an extra diamond at those costs.
  • What to do for emerald? It's much less convenient for readjusting then diamonds are and it gets a 1:1 ratio too, actually all the gems do, what should be done with them?
That's as far as I get today I think, deal with the gems and those horrible steels tomorrow.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Properly back into things now! Spend an hour doing another 40 odd and readjusting the old ones to the old format as I decided it's easier then dealing with raw minetweaker scripts that are thousands of lines long. General notes.
  • Meteoric Iron was decided on as a Nickel-Iron alloy with very little nickel in it as that's what googling gives, just as a random FYI in case there is any issues.
  • You can't synthesise annealed copper, I could change that but the dust is basically a less functional version of copper dust so there isn't really a point.
  • Blue and Red steel are evil and horrible, I'll do it again in the morning when I can think better as those compositions are horrible to work out.
  • I adjusted diamond cost to four carbon nanotubes so it's now in line with the implosion compressor so diamond dust decomposition can be re-enabled. Still the exploit with electrolysing to ashes first for 1:1 ratio but it costs an extra 650k RF and 22.4k EU so it may just be worth ignoring it as you're just saving a half stack of tnt for an extra diamond at those costs.
  • What to do for emerald? It's much less convenient for readjusting then diamonds are and it gets a 1:1 ratio too, actually all the gems do, what should be done with them?
That's as far as I get today I think, deal with the gems and those horrible steels tomorrow.
Do you really want to be able to synthesize anything that should be limited to specific techs? Annealed copper for instance requires the high heat of a blast furnace (or arc furnace I think).

I'm not sure the problem with the diamonds is really solved by making it 4 carbon nanotubes. Its still way cheaper and simpler than the 3 dusts + 22 TNT recipe available for the implosion compressor.

Reactions: Tyriael_Soban

Hlaaftana

Jul 29, 2019
Annealed copper has an advantage with cables against copper, as it has less energy loss. There doesn't have to be a synthesis recipe for it, but maybe a decomposition. I agree about the TerraFirmaCraft metals, but the funny thing is, you need them (in this pack) to make the Minechem machines. Blue and red steel are AMAZING metals for tools, so amazing that I wouldn't allow decomposition or synthesis of them. By the way, diamonds need 2 stacks of coal in Minechem, but 1 stack in IC2. This leads to a diamond duplication exploit. The dummy items you mentioned earlier can be added using the CustomStuff mod this pack is using as you know, or mods like Quadrum, RockDigger and a billion others help add blocks/items. Emerald has a much more realistic output in Minechem, by the way. You do know that what you're doing wasn't to help adjust Minechem recipes for GT chemicals, but to fix the GT item outputs?
Do you really want to be able to synthesize anything that should be limited to specific techs? Annealed copper for instance requires the high heat of a blast furnace (or arc furnace I think).

I'm not sure the problem with the diamonds is really solved by making it 4 carbon nanotubes. Its still way cheaper and simpler than the 3 dusts + 22 TNT recipe available for the implosion compressor.
Annealed copper needs a blast furnace, and you're right about the specific techs thing. The thing is, Minechem machines are literal chemical decomposers. This means they can break bonds of molecules and atoms, separating them and outputting them separately. Then, they're put in a synthesis machine which takes significantly more power, and when supplied with a pattern and the required atoms or molecules, creating the original outcome. Of course the number of atoms an ingot has is stupid in Minechem, unless the vials they are put into hold around one septillion (short scale) atoms, but that's off topic. What I'm trying to say is, they're put into a lot of heat during this process and the patterns of this heated matter such as steel, would be different than a regular iron-carbon alloy, making the Synthesizer able to create metals undergone a heating process.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Annealed copper has an advantage with cables against copper, as it has less energy loss. There doesn't have to be a synthesis recipe for it, but maybe a decomposition. I agree about the TerraFirmaCraft metals, but the funny thing is, you need them (in this pack) to make the Minechem machines. Blue and red steel are AMAZING metals for tools, so amazing that I wouldn't allow decomposition or synthesis of them. By the way, diamonds need 2 stacks of coal in Minechem, but 1 stack in IC2. This leads to a diamond duplication exploit. The dummy items you mentioned earlier can be added using the CustomStuff mod this pack is using as you know, or mods like Quadrum, RockDigger and a billion others help add blocks/items. Emerald has a much more realistic output in Minechem, by the way. You do know that what you're doing wasn't to help adjust Minechem recipes for GT chemicals, but to fix the GT item outputs?

Annealed copper needs a blast furnace, and you're right about the specific techs thing. The thing is, Minechem machines are literal chemical decomposers. This means they can break bonds of molecules and atoms, separating them and outputting them separately. Then, they're put in a synthesis machine which takes significantly more power, and when supplied with a pattern and the required atoms or molecules, creating the original outcome. Of course the number of atoms an ingot has is stupid in Minechem, unless the vials they are put into hold around one septillion (short scale) atoms, but that's off topic. What I'm trying to say is, they're put into a lot of heat during this process and the patterns of this heated matter such as steel, would be different than a regular iron-carbon alloy, making the Synthesizer able to create metals undergone a heating process.
I very much agree that decomposing it makes sense. The problem with synthesis is that annealed copper isn't any different from regular copper from a chemical perspective.

What's the downside of being allowed to decompose the "amazing" red/blue steel? I get why synthesizing them might not be ideal (although I don't care so long as you can only make dusts), but decomposing them seems harmless.

So long as we're always synthesizing dusts, really, most gameplay elements should be preserved: steel dust by itself doesn't shortcut GT, you still need to cook it.

Reactions: MigukNamja

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
most gameplay elements should be preserved

^^^ This

[soapbox]
I think Jason and co. have done a great job so far of ensuring things are balanced (mainly relative to GT) and that gameplay is consistent across all mods. Preserving that gameplay with Minechem synthesis doesn't seem easy, but it indeed should be a goal to strive for.
[/soapbox]

Reactions: Pyure

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Guys, slightly off-topic but I value the intellects of persons who play this pack:

Going to replace my video card this week probably. I've been an AMD/ATI person for a decade now but am about to switch due to some problems I've been having.

I'm out of touch with the good nVidia cards: what are the good ones I should be looking at? I don't want to fork out for a flagship card, but second-best is probably appropriate.

Ideally something that runs quietly. I'm a gamer: I like my total wars and skyrims and whatnot to run like pacman with everything turned up to full.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
I have a GTX 760. It's not the flagship, but it's still too much video card for Minecraft (i.e more $$ than you need to spend for MC), but it is quiet and very stable. No video card crashes so far in MC or any other games.

Note the 970 is out and it's about the same price. If I built my system today, I'd go with the 970 rather than the 760.

Here is a decent guide, updated 1/29.

Last edited:

Jason McRay

Jul 29, 2019
Little pre-warning for anyone using IHL stuff... There is a chance that it will be gone from the pack in v2.1.5.
Reason: Cant update IC2, because of some logging change in it which IHL is relaying on. Solution for that is updating IHL.... Can't update IHL, because it switched to support GT6 (which is completely dumb idea in my opinion, since NOONE is going to PLAY GT6 until its playable at least with some machines.

Also IHL is from time to time causing crash on its own with Evaporators.... so....

Jason McRay

Jul 29, 2019
It totally doesn't matter if I make redstone dust worth 20 atoms instead of 16 right? Also turns out I was being an idiot and this is way easier then I thought. For a different question, is there any way to add dummy items? Ones that aren't obtainable in any way but I can still use for my recipes? Because that would actually let me have carbon as a result of decomposing steel which it's not currently, still have to overcharge for synthesis though due to GT actually having a realisticish amount of carbon in it and minechem not liking that unless you like synthesising your steel dusts a stack at a time.

You can add a dummy atoms with minetweaker. For dummy items (as normal items) I am using CustomStuff 2 (thats how I am adding Nailed Plates for galacticraft): http://www.minecraftforum.net/forum...00-cubex2s-mods-all-mods-available-for-1-7-10 (also there is new WIP version of it which I havent checked yet: http://www.minecraftforum.net/forum...5782-wip-custom-stuff-3-create-content-ingame)

Meteoric Iron: should be fine
Annealed Copper: Same with other stuff that requires really some machine to make. Either decompose it to "normal copper" or dont decompose at all.
Blue and Red steel: I am not sure if it is used in the pack. If it is not, just ignore them.
Diamond synth/decomp: Sounds ok
Emerald and gems: maybe just not synth direct gems, but only dusts, so ppl need to use Autoclave or other machines to turn the dusts into gems

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
I meant that annealed copper dust is near literally useless, it can't be turned into annealed copper ingots and it can only be gained by using a mortar with an ingot or plate, it's just a less useful version of copper dust. I have no idea why that is that case but it is and that's why I meant it, I've just treated it like pig iron or damascus steel where it decomposes into the base form only unlike those you can't synthesise it, do the same thing with nether star dust for the same reason. The steel was just me complaining about horrible combinations being annoying to calculate, fairly feasible unlike things like lapis or garnet though, I'll disable the rest of the gems other then diamond for synthesis as well, need to rebalance the decomp to the dusts anyway.

Random question, Lapis has the most awkward combination I've seen yet, it requires synthesising in lots of about 37k lapis to balance. Obviously that's useless as it's impossible to actually synthesise in lots that large, I haven't done the maths for garnet's yet but it looks like a similar issue. Just attempt to figure out a close point to round from?

I realised it's also technically possible to make it so you have to collect one of a resource and study it with a microscope before you can get more, currently I just did it for Nether Stars but if there is anything else you want I could do it for them as well, it's really easy. Admittedly Nether Stars require either a fusion reactor or a 1.5 singularities from AE2 to get the radioactive elements required to create it, a half dozen ender pearls for magic and 4 diamonds for the nanotubes so they're far from easy even if they can be done.

Dlur100

Jul 29, 2019
With EnderIO item pipes is there a decent way to meter items out to various destinations? For example, with BC pipes I was able to use a diamond pipe and then put like 3 of an item in one direction and 1 in another color path. This would roughly give me 25% of my output down one path and 75% the other. That way I could output sapplings from my MFR tree farm to an autocrafter to make plant balls and run them through 2 macerators to regenerate dirt lost. Now that I switched to EnderIO pipes I end up with too much stuff going to that dirt generation system and not enough to my biomass production.

I'm guessing I can do a timer, but wanted to avoid that if possible.

Eyecollector

Jul 29, 2019
With EnderIO item pipes is there a decent way to meter items out to various destinations? For example, with BC pipes I was able to use a diamond pipe and then put like 3 of an item in one direction and 1 in another color path. This would roughly give me 25% of my output down one path and 75% the other. That way I could output sapplings from my MFR tree farm to an autocrafter to make plant balls and run them through 2 macerators to regenerate dirt lost. Now that I switched to EnderIO pipes I end up with too much stuff going to that dirt generation system and not enough to my biomass production.

The thing with Ender IO conduits is that they will not overflow, so if the item doesn't have where to go, it will not get extracted. If you put a higher priority to the dirt production line, it will always keep it full and the excess will go to the biomass line. You just have to wait until every inventory slot is full of stuff.

Reactions: MigukNamja

Dlur100

Jul 29, 2019
The thing with Ender IO conduits is that they will not overflow, so if the item doesn't have where to go, it will not get extracted. If you put a higher priority to the dirt production line, it will always keep it full and the excess will go to the biomass line. You just have to wait until every inventory slot is full of stuff.
That part I get. The reason I want to meter the sapplings is because I'm producing more dirt than I can use. I want to slow down dirt production and ramp up biomass.

Eyecollector

Jul 29, 2019
That part I get. The reason I want to meter the sapplings is because I'm producing more dirt than I can use. I want to slow down dirt production and ramp up biomass.

But you will never make more dirt than you currently use. The farm will fill up, the macerators will fill up, and then all the dirt will go the other route, while keeping the farm supplied, when dirt gets consumed.

Jason McRay

Jul 29, 2019

You can set Item Conduit to Round Robin mode, which will attempt to evenly distribute items it extracts to appropriate inventories. So if you will want 25% in A and 75% in B, you might be able to do it with filters maybe, or just put 3 connections to the chest B

I'm experiencing a strange issue in which the RC steam tank is not updating visually. Anyone else got that?
Are you using texture pack? Or default? - Yes its happening also to me. When you have the RC tank interface opened, it will force the rendering to kick off.

starwolf

Jul 29, 2019
EnderIO logic is great, I can build systems I used to have to use AE for. Just be careful adding barrels into the mix, as they can lag the hell out of your server. I had a barrel on a treefarm that would drop me down to 2 fps and max the server memory/cpu. I removed the barrel and everything is hunky dory. Just redid everthing on better channels and separated some cabling, and works much better now.

Something about barrels outputting to too many destinations was causing thousands of packet calls for each stack in the barrel. I figure to avoid this just never leave the extract of a barrel on green lol.