[1.7.10][LISTED] InfiTech 2 Modpack v3.2.21 [HQM][GregTech balanced hard-mode modpack]

Tyriael_Soban

Jul 29, 2019
Anyone have issues with the game freezing at random moments? I don't get any error messages that I can find it just freezes about every 10 or 15 minutes.
Are you running Fastcraft? (nearly everyone is)
Tell me what happens during this freeze with the diagnostic mode up (f3) ie, does your frame rate hit 0?

bremmon

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, using Fastcraft. I am running a lan multiplayer with my son. . . . once in a while he freezes, but it seems I freeze more often. I will do what you suggest with F3 mode on. I run many FTB packs, this is the only one I have had this issue on. I will update when it freezes again.

Tyriael_Soban

Jul 29, 2019
Lan might be the issue, i LAN modpacks on the occasion when visiting my brothers - every once in a while the game will stop dead and then pick up like a speeding bullet.
The only thing i can suggest is that for a moment one of you goes out of sync with the other, are you competing for network bus time with any other object in your house, like extra computers or devices streaming movies, are you both connecting through physical cables, or is one of you on wireless?

bremmon

Jul 29, 2019
Hmmm. . . maybe. we use LAN all the time and this is the first Pack we have had this issue with. . . still. . . it could be that LAN and this pack don't agree for some reason.

bremmon

Jul 29, 2019
Ok. . . happened again. . . FPS 38 when it happened. My son who is connected up via LAN which I set up is still able to play which means the server didn't lock up. Seems to be graphical maybe?

Tyriael_Soban

Jul 29, 2019
Is he actually able to do anything during these lockups, or does everything he do get rolled back?
Also, If you're using Vsync id recommend turning it off if you're using an AMD graphics processor, vsync used to screw my framerate so much.
If your answer for the above question is yes; do you periodically get messages that say stuff like "AMD display driver stopped responding and was successfully able to recover"

bremmon

Jul 29, 2019
No. I don't get AMD messages. He doesn't get rolled back. Once he gets back in he hasn't lost anything. I had VSYNC on. I just turned it off. . . let me see if that improves matters.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Alifalafel

Jul 29, 2019
If you're referring to the 1 or 2-second freezes, I get them too, but a little more frequently. Also using FastCraft, but they happened before I added it too. Not using a server here, just single-player. ATI Radeon graphics card, VSync off.

On a completely unrelated note, the Thaumcraft iron wand caps allow for iron nugget duping due to their extremely high Metallum aspect value compared to the 5-nugget cost. FYI.

Jason McRay

Jul 29, 2019
It might be worth looking at the console when the freeze appears, so we can pinpoint the cause of it. (I had these issues as well, one of the ways i solved it was turning off Smooth Lightning, enabling Smooth FPS, instaling Optifine and not using high res texturepacks)

Regarding the thaumcraft aspects... it is and it will always be an issue. Unfortunately there is not much mod authors can do about this. There are only two ways how to handle these cases. 1) Hard-code all items manually (noone will do that, because its hell lot of work) or 2) Refer to the crafting recipes, to calculate it. All we can do is to gather them up, and hard-code the aspects manually via minetweaker. Aspect numbers are tied to the recipes themselves. So if a mod adds a "second" way of making the item, it can be picked up by thaumcraft for calculations.

For example one of the issues we had was wooden chests were giving metalum and lucrum, because there was a recipe that allowed to turn Refined Relocation Sorting chest into Wooden Chest. RR chest is crafted with 2 gold ingots. ANd the chest could be reversed back to wooden chest. So thaumcraft picked it, and used it for aspect calculation. Same issue will happen for example with Minechem decomposition, or maybe HEE "decrafting" with the "Uncrafting Dust".

Feel free to make a report on github when you will encounter these cases, so I can hardcode it in. If you do so, the best will be to say ITEM has XY ASPECTS, but it should have WZ ASPECTS.

Jason McRay

Jul 29, 2019
GT6 has been released as an "flippin-really-alpha" version. It will still take some time for me to be able to do anything with that.

bremmon

Jul 29, 2019
It might be worth looking at the console when the freeze appears, so we can pinpoint the cause of it. (I had these issues as well, one of the ways i solved it was turning off Smooth Lightning, enabling Smooth FPS, instaling Optifine and not using high res texturepacks)

Thanks for those suggestions! We were able to play last night with no freezes at all. The only change was turning VSYNC to off. Not sure if that is the reason we didn't freeze but I will take it :)

If it freezes again, I will use your other suggestions. Thanks again!

Elthy

Jul 29, 2019
What did you use for mid game energy? Im currently running solar boilers but thats only enough for about 32 eu/t and now im looking for a new energysource which can deliver about 150 eu/t renewable.

Also i want to know what you use as a lategame energysource with several thousands of eu/t, gregtech seems to add machines with insane power usage but no way to generate that much...

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
What did you use for mid game energy? Im currently running solar boilers but thats only enough for about 32 eu/t and now im looking for a new energysource which can deliver about 150 eu/t renewable.

Also i want to know what you use as a lategame energysource with several thousands of eu/t, gregtech seems to add machines with insane power usage but no way to generate that much...

For renewable mid-game power, most of us do charcoal/creosote because it's so easy. The reason is early-game charcoal is super-easy with coke ovens. And, you get creosote for free as a byproduct. Burn it in an RC LP boiler for some 24/7 energy. Then, burn charcoal as needed in a GT Steel Boiler.

However, there are plenty of other possibilities. Depending up your world and far you want to roam, oil-->fuel is a good power source. If you're a wiz at monster spawners, zombie flesh turned into methane is a good one. If you're into eIO, hooch or fire water are good ones. If you're into bees, a fairly early one is coal. Not long after is oil (fuel).

If you're heavy in Thaumcraft, there are ways to make charcoal and other things like gunpowder.

Minechem has its own way of generating power.

But, the most straightforward, linear path for many is:

1. coke oven
2. tree farm of some type
3. burn all that lovely creosote in RC LP boiler
4. get enough steel to make a GT steel boiler and burn charcoal on demand

That will make enough steam for mid-game. To turn steam into power, most of us use RC Steam Turbines to make IC2 EU, then we transform into GT EU using GT Transformers.

Reactions: Pyure

Tyriael_Soban

Jul 29, 2019

Basically what @MigukNamja said, but how you deal with your charcoal depends on what you can find - i was lucky enough to find a nice sized deposit of abyssal stone and so i built myself a (rather expensive) full sized LP boiler that runs on solid fuel, while im aware that the GT ones put out alot more steam - they also burn through the fuel roughly 3 times faster than even the high pressure solid would. (meaning to make it self sustaining, id need 60-something coke ovens) :p

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
@Elthy

Late-game power in GT 5 going purely GT 5 is just Naqaudah. Sadly, there is no Fusion reactor and none of the other nuclear options scale up to the thousands of EU/t.

If you're willing to convert from RF to EU, you can do a BigReactors turbine. A single turbine can about crank out 16K RF/t, which converts to 4K EU/t from a single turbine. A couple of those equals a single Naquadah MkI.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
i wonder if he will turn the naquadah gen into a multiblock?

Excellent question. I have no idea what Greg has in mind for end-game power in GT 6. I'm assuming GT 5 is complete/finished/done/will-never-get-a-real-end-game-power-like-previous-GT-had-with-GT-Fusion.

starwolf

Jul 29, 2019
There's Naquadah bees. Might be able to automate a fluid naquadah line. Taken me about a week just to breed some decent Industrious bees though, only made 3 mutagen combs, Gendustry is horribly expensive, I've yet to set up my first alveary... seed farm needed.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, Naq. bees work and you can automate them. But, the end result is anti-climactic. The Naquadah Reactor is just a single block. Not terribly exciting. It feels too much like a creative block one cheats in for testing. "Here, let me just cheat in this infinite power source..."

Early-game and mid-game power are far more interesting, IMHO.

And, the *journey* to get Naq. bees can be interesting, but the destination is rather dull. Sort of like climbing a really tall mountain, to find a McDonald's at the top.