[1.7.10]Atonement: Sins of the Past Hardcore Survival Thaumcraft Focused

Mirellie

Jul 29, 2019
I just started this pack tonight and i gotta say i love it. But im curious though, how does everyone manage their early game ore? i figured i should start with iron chest, helm, and stone sword to help combat the silver fish and then work on some kind of ore doubling. flaxbeards maybe? what is everyone doing to get to ore doubling?

BigManVegas

Jul 29, 2019
You can use flaxbeard's if you got the clay or you can do thaumcraft clusters. Chisel to get chiseled stone bricks for ordo and nuggets for metallum and there's a witching gadgets research for all the metals purifying.

Mr_Hosed

Jul 29, 2019
I just started this pack tonight and i gotta say i love it. But im curious though, how does everyone manage their early game ore? i figured i should start with iron chest, helm, and stone sword to help combat the silver fish and then work on some kind of ore doubling. flaxbeards maybe? what is everyone doing to get to ore doubling?

I punched grass almost the entire first day looking for that illusive magical forest (didn't find it). As sucH I had half a stack of floral fertilizer and that was enough to get the Clayconia and go the Flaxbeard route. It's not ore doubling though, but closer to 1.25x more ore.

As for silverfish, I thought I had them disabled (I hate those things), but I just got lucky and didn't mine into a vein for a long time. Lava bucket is the first thing I made with Iron. I then made a pickaxe, later a sword, then armor. After that I had enough mana from Botania to make mana-steel equipment and made a mana tablet after my diamond pickaxe.

If I was to do it again I think I would have gone for the Exo Suit in Flaxbeard fairly quickly as you get a ton of copper and zinc (4x atleast) over iron. Gold is fairly rare and important so I saved that until I could crush it.

cannajan

Jul 29, 2019

I say it depends on what resources you manage to get, having gone through the early stage many times!
I had one world that I found no gold - so I couldnt start thaumcraft at all! If you dont have what you need for clay - then its go out to look for it or you cant make molds for flaxbeards. Thaumcraft would be my choice if I have enough gold.
Do make any armour that you can, its all that saves your hearts
Finding spawners makes a huge difference, worth trying to tame one imo but it is obviously risky.
This pack is so addictive, I just have to keep trying, even after so many deaths I've lost count :)

Mr_Hosed

Jul 29, 2019
So I finally found my first Skeleton spawner and built up a drop farm for them. After playing for 20 hours at 1 heart (bloody Ghasts did me in), I finally have some bows, arrows, bone meal, and a few loot bags dropped regen potions. w00t! Back to full health!

With a fully upgraded ExoSuit and a magical forest nearby I think it's time to fly over there, build a wall, and spawn some chickens. If I do that I can use mutandis to get some more trees, netherwart, slime balls, etc, leading into the botania fire protection amulet. I was hoping to have that before I went back to the Nether and hunted down some Blazes and soul sand. Blaze rods and Netherward are my current tech progression limiters.

If you think the overworld is brutal, the Nether is far worse.

Loving this pack and the inclusion of Flaxbeard for early game.

I should probably look into Clockwork stuff soon as well. I've got plenty of Brass now.

Desman

Sep 23, 2014
Is it correct to assume that we don't need to craft books like Lexica Botania or Thaumonomicon, since they are in the library?

Mr_Hosed

Jul 29, 2019
Is it correct to assume that we don't need to craft books like Lexica Botania or Thaumonomicon, since they are in the library?

It seems so, though I imagine we'll have to craft the lexica botanica at some point to throw it through the alfheim portal. I haven't gotten that far with botania in my world yet.

The thauminomicon is perfectly functional in the library so you won't have to craft it to do your research.

Also, I think there's a witchery book you have to craft for witchery weirdness that interacts with a specific witchery book. Biome book or something like that. I've never fully explored witchery in the past though so that's purely conjecture on my part.

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
Ok, just uploaded the Beta version to Curse and FTB. Curse is up already, FTB might take a bit. All content is in place at this point, all features are frozen. It is just bug smashing and balance passes now, unless I find something egregious.

Desman

Sep 23, 2014
So many creepy sounds... I'm not sure if something is digging towards me, or if it's just ambience. Really freaking out right now.

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
So many creepy sounds... I'm not sure if something is digging towards me, or if it's just ambience. Really freaking out right now.
If it sounds like something is digging towards you something is probably digging towards you. Zombies can do that if the spawn with the right tools.

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
Void Monster is great for that creepy ambience at bedrock level. :D

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

Desman

Sep 23, 2014
If it sounds like something is digging towards you something is probably digging towards you. Zombies can do that if the spawn with the right tools.

All is fine now, it may have been the storm on the surface making those sounds.

On the other hand, looks like it destroyed my Ethereal Bloom, so all may not be as fine as it seems.

Shane2482

Jul 29, 2019
Hey everybody Iskandar and i have hit an Impasse. i think slime balls are important,hard to find and need a recipe added, Iskandar thinks the exact opposite. So we decided to ask what you all think .
Are slime balls important,hard to find and need a recipe added or not?

Mr_Hosed

Jul 29, 2019
Hey everybody Iskandar and i have hit an Impasse. i think slime balls are important,hard to find and need a recipe added, Iskandar thinks the exact opposite. So we decided to ask what you all think .
Are slime balls important,hard to find and need a recipe added or not?

I actually just hit the slimeball situation today. There already is a recipe in thanks to witchery distilling of Foul Fumes. Once you have one and an Alchemical Pool you can make cactus from the slimeballs and then "grow" your slimeballs by throwing cactus back in the pool.

The only real need I've had for them so far is for the Fall Damage reduction add-on for the Flaxbeard Exo-Suit.

Keep in mind that I'm currently locked at pre-nether tech due to a bunker busting ghast spawning on top of my initial nether portal base and only now getting to the point where I'm geared up enough to take that challenge on.

I actually think string is a bigger issue early game. I had to resort to shearing cob-webs in the taint. Not a fun thing to do. Later you can convert wool into string, but early game I needed a skeleton spawner just to get a bow.

Dachshund

Jul 29, 2019
Hej i kinda have a problem with the latest update. The curse launcher says "A file is locked in another process" what is not the case, any idea what is causing this?

Last edited:

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
Hej i kinda have a problem with the latest update. The curse launcher says "A file is locked in another process" what is not the case, any idea what is causing this?
Known issue. File a bug report with Curse. Only solution, ATM, is to back up your saves, manually delete the instance and reinstall.

Dachshund

Jul 29, 2019
Known issue. File a bug report with Curse. Only solution, ATM, is to back up your saves, manually delete the instance and reinstall.

Thanks. Regarding the slimeball question: Getting your first slimeball requirs a trip to the nether or witchery. Slimeballs are not super important so i think its okay to have them somewhat easy obtained. Personally i still have a problem getting spawned any animals. Im converting terrain with silverwood pure nodes but no chicken is spawning. Feathers are actually i big deal because they are needed to get anything more important done with Botania and Botania is needed to get an wather defecltor.

Shane2482

Jul 29, 2019
There are three ways to get slim balls in the pack, magma cubes shed them but unless you know about them shedding you kill them so no slime plus it can be a Pain to wait for one to shed, you can find them in chest but that's just dumb luck, and you can get them from witchery but that's mid/late witchery so all in all i think this is just to much just for a slime ball. As to how useful they are well just look at the recipe for the Pyroclast Pendant.