[1.7.10]Atonement: Sins of the Past Hardcore Survival Thaumcraft Focused

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
Sins_3.png

A magic focused pack with a little tech. All world generation replaced by Thaumcraft's Tainted Lands. Combine that with the Weather2 mod and Funwayguy's Epic Siege Mod and survival becomes a challenge you may not survive.

There is an in-game guide to help the player along, plus SimpleAchievements provides a set of goals that form the endgame, the way to "win" the pack.

Health regen has been turned off, the gamemode is set to hardcore. To compensate, armor gives you absorption hearts that do regen. You can get up to two extra bars of hearts with good armor and proper enchants. You also start with a Golden Laurel Crown to provide an extra life.

Nearly all content is documented in-game either by the mods themselves or by the tireless work of @Shane2482

Fastcraft is HIGHLY recommended.

Any issues go here: http://minecraft.curseforge.com/modpacks/229447-atonement-sins-of-the-past/issues

This is a Jampacked II entry.

WARNING: OPTIFINE MAY CAUSE CRASHES WITH THIS VERSION OF FORGE

New Updates Can be found on the Curse Launcher ONLY

modlist:
AccidentallyCircumstantialEvents
Ancient Trees
Thaumcraft
Waila
Automagy
BiblioCraft
BiomeTweaker
Botania
CarpentersBlocks
ChickenChunks
Chisel 2
Clockwork Phase
CustomMainMenu
DrCyano's Lootable Bodies
Deadly World
DynamicLights
Enchiridion 2
Epic Siege Mod
Flaxbeard's Steam Power
ForbiddenMagic
HardcoreDarkness
Inventory Tweaks
Iron Chest
JABBA
JourneyMap
MineTweaker 3
Mod Tweaker 2
Natural Absorption
NEI Integration
NotEnoughItems
Not Enough Resources
No Village
OneBiome
ResourceLoader
Simple Achievements
SquidUtils
StartingInventory
TC Node Tracker
Thaumcraft NEI Plugin
Thaumic Exploration
Thaumic Horizons
Traveller's Gear
Tubes
Waila Harvestability
WAILA Plugins
Weather2
Witchery
Witching Gadgets

Known Issues:
None, currently. Performance is still a bit off, but I've fixed what I can.

Last edited:

ZephyrWindSpirit

Jul 29, 2019
I want to do a short entry here, after playing for ten minutes.

I feel dirty.
Not the kind of dirty where mud coats every appendage. No, this... is dirt of the soul. Something has been done here. Everything is purple. Rotting. Tainted.

I can feel the hair on my head on end, prickling with unease. The remains of my robe clinging to me. The wind pulls at me, rain drizzling down from above. My stomach gurgles... I feel sick inside. Its difficult to keep what I ate down. The smell...

Everywhere I look, I see nothing but taint. What used to be a beautiful forest... is dying away. Tendrils of taint gradually eating the land away until it dissolves into a purple liquid that smells of overly acidic compost. Trees, grass, even stone... nothing stops this taint.

Where am I?

I don't... remember. The last I remember... I was prepared. Prepared as a resident witch to fight Leonard. The goat brewer who could make my brews infinite, if persuaded.

The Huntsman, Mog, Gulg, Baba Yaga... even Death and Binky... I had persuaded them. I struck a deal with Torment. My mystical branch had no bounds. A coven of six at my summons. My brews almost perfect. I had the power to turn mobs into my allies. A garden of witchy Eden, surrounding my altar. Little golems of wood and clay doing the grunt labor of farming the plants and replanting them.
One of my coven asked if I had ingested the heart of a demon. No, but if I were to truly become a 'resident witch', I had to strike a deal with Leonard.

I did not expect him to be so strong. He trapped me with my own brews, turning all my power against me. Bound in dense webs, he clopped about, bragging over his last few fights being harder then me. He... took everything. Crushed it beneath his hooves, depositing it into his cauldron. Leonard took my bound body, and... dropped me.

I thought I had died, the searing feeling of being eaten alive boring into my skin.

Apparently not. Dressed in rags, burns of acid stinging my skin. But I'm alive. I lived... but my pride is dead.

I found a box at my feet. A handful of items inside. Weapons. Tools. Made of stone. Everyone starts somewhere... A set of armor. Torches. A glowing seed. A few journals. The first one is silver, and smells like... garlic? I can barely hold this book, my hands... they are bones.

"You must have survived the cauldron to have found this. Leonard has a habit of playing with his food first. If you can turn pages, you must not be dead, for the dead cannot hold this book. It burns them. As you have noticed, this is not your world. It is... Torment, in a sense. A separate dimension, away from others. Corroding slowly away by taint. Taint and flux, the by products of a dense idiotic thaumaturge who chose to confront Leonard on a whim.
If you wish to survive, you need these things in this box. Delve into the studies of magic once more. Heal your wounds quickly, monsters smell blood. Good luck."

Relearn the studies of magic?! Again? I knew my witchery. I knew how everything worked. I knew... but as an exile... I have nothing. With effort, I stowed the journal, and dawned the armor. Almost immediately I am attacked by swarms of taint. Beating them to death with a sharp stone seemed rather ineffective. Especially when I can barely hold it. I broke the swarm nest. I read the other journals with more haste, for the wind picks up and rain pelts me again.

To start again... I need wood. I have some chopping to do.
~
Night is approaching. This feeling of unease doesn't help with my condition. I have to find shelter. Lightning strikes nearby. Somewhere underground sounds decent. There's a map in the box. Nothing but purple land around me. Wait... there's a small patch of green to the north. I chose to take a chance. Fleeing as fast as I could move carrying everything in that box, except for tainted goo and wisps. One dissolved in my hands, and despite being lack of flesh on the bone, it hurt. The rest are where I found myself. Trapped in a box.

My limited knowledge of thaumaturgy tells me that pure nodes can change the landscape. Tainted and eerie nodes as well, but to dark, and tainted land. The green spot is on a hill. A decent place to hide, if mobs can't dig.
When I finally reached the hill, I could not see where this pure node was. To the untrained eye, you cannot find a node easily. A goblin started attacking me. Usually, they are passive, and don't attack. The taint must be affecting its mind. Below the hill is a little goblin hut. they might become a threat...

I dug into the hill, careful to not hit a pure node by accident. If I find it, I must protect it. Purity is difficult to find. It looks like I will be seeking that node so I can place a bloom around it. The glowing seed appears to be a combatant of taint.

If you do not wish us to post, please remove this.
Cheers

Last edited:

Salamileg9

Jul 29, 2019
Looks very promising... I'm currently playing another magic pack based on a similar premise (tainted lands and such) but the lack of regen and hardcore mode looks like it would bring a welcome challenge. Definitely trying it out!

Vidinston

Jul 29, 2019

I feel dirty.
Not the kind of dirty where mud coats every appendage. No, this... is dirt of the soul. Something has been done here. Everything is purple. Rotting. Tainted.

I can feel the hair on my head on end, prickling with unease. The remains of my robe clinging to me. The wind pulls at me, rain drizzling down from above. My stomach gurgles... I feel sick inside. Its difficult to keep what I ate down. The smell...

Everywhere I look, I see nothing but taint. What used to be a beautiful forest... is dying away. Tendrils of taint gradually eating the land away until it dissolves into a purple liquid that smells of overly acidic compost. Trees, grass, even stone... nothing stops this taint.

Where am I?

I don't... remember. The last I remember... I was prepared. Prepared as a resident witch to fight Leonard. The goat brewer who could make my brews infinite, if persuaded.

The Huntsman, Mog, Gulg, Baba Yaga... even Death and Binky... I had persuaded them. I struck a deal with Torment. My mystical branch had no bounds. A coven of six at my summons. My brews almost perfect. I had the power to turn mobs into my allies. A garden of witchy Eden, surrounding my altar. Little golems of wood and clay doing the grunt labor of farming the plants and replanting them.
One of my coven asked if I had ingested the heart of a demon. No, but if I were to truly become a 'resident witch', I had to strike a deal with Leonard.

I did not expect him to be so strong. He trapped me with my own brews, turning all my power against me. Bound in dense webs, he clopped about, bragging over his last few fights being harder then me. He... took everything. Crushed it beneath his hooves, depositing it into his cauldron. Leonard took my bound body, and... dropped me.

I thought I had died, the searing feeling of being eaten alive boring into my skin.

Apparently not. Dressed in rags, burns of acid stinging my skin. But I'm alive. I lived... but my pride is dead.

I found a box at my feet. A handful of items inside. Weapons. Tools. Made of stone. Everyone starts somewhere... A set of armor. Torches. A glowing seed. A few journals. The first one is silver, and smells like... garlic? I can barely hold this book, my hands... they are bones.

"You must have survived the cauldron to have found this. Leonard has a habit of playing with his food first. If you can turn pages, you must not be dead, for the dead cannot hold this book. It burns them. As you have noticed, this is not your world. It is... Torment, in a sense. A separate dimension, away from others. Corroding slowly away by taint. Taint and flux, the by products of a dense idiotic thaumaturge who chose to confront Leonard on a whim.
If you wish to survive, you need these things in this box. Delve into the studies of magic once more. Heal your wounds quickly, monsters smell blood. Good luck."

Relearn the studies of magic?! Again? I knew my witchery. I knew how everything worked. I knew... but as an exile... I have nothing. With effort, I stowed the journal, and dawned the armor. Almost immediately I am attacked by swarms of taint. Beating them to death with a sharp stone seemed rather ineffective. Especially when I can barely hold it. I broke the swarm nest. I read the other journals with more haste, for the wind picks up and rain pelts me again.

~
Night is approaching. This feeling of unease doesn't help with my condition. I have to find shelter. Lightning strikes nearby. Somewhere underground sounds decent. There's a map in the box. Nothing but purple land around me. Wait... there's a small patch of green to the north. I chose to take a chance. Fleeing as fast as I could move carrying everything in that box, except for tainted goo and wisps. One dissolved in my hands, and despite being lack of flesh on the bone, it hurt. The rest are where I found myself. Trapped in a box.

My limited knowledge of thaumaturgy tells me that pure nodes can change the landscape. Tainted and eerie nodes as well, but to dark, and tainted land. The green spot is on a hill. A decent place to hide, if mobs can't dig.
When I finally reached the hill, I could not see where this pure node was. To the untrained eye, you cannot find a node easily. A goblin started attacking me. Usually, they are passive, and don't attack. The taint must be affecting its mind. Below the hill is a little goblin hut. they might become a threat...

I dug into the hill, careful to not hit a pure node by accident. If I find it, I must protect it. Purity is difficult to find. It looks like I will be seeking that node so I can place a bloom around it. The glowing seed appears to be a combatant of taint.

Cheers
Wow...
That's a Jampacked Entry Right Here. The Modpack, And This Poem... Good Look Trying To Beat the Poem!

gerb82

Jul 29, 2019
I have been waiting for this release for a long time. happy to see that you released that. defently gona try it out.

CJoker3221

Jul 29, 2019

I feel dirty.

Where am I?

~

Cheers

Oh My God....I WANT MORE! :O

On topic, I'll be looking forward to play this modpack, despite it being WIP :3

Reactions: ZephyrWindSpirit

ZephyrWindSpirit

Jul 29, 2019
Thou asks, thou shall receive.

I am shocked.

Shocked at how fast this taint spreads. First the fibers, they spread across the land. If left unchecked, the taint takes over that portion of land. You cannot recover that land.

The hill I took shelter inside is very delicate. The node is so very fragile. Think of a quartz sphere, floating, spinning, almost a harmony of light and color. It could almost sit in a sun collector. I like it. Its pretty. I do not wish to lose it.
I did go in creative to find the node, its way way below me. I also wrote down my seed, since I cannot change out of hardcore.

Every new witch starts off similar to a normal miner. Punch wood, mine stone, get iron. Being able to grow anything here... is almost impossible. I do not know what taint does to the crops, but I have a feeling it will do the same as it does to wood or stone. Rot. Wither. Die.

I find it a bit difficult to mine. No one is around. I do not care for modesty. My robe holds to me, but I tore away the remains of my sleeves. Used the worn fabric to tie my tools to my hand. I have no grip. No sense of touch. I forget just how critical muscle and nerve and skin were. I know now.

Back to the issue of mining. The minerals are a bit scarce. If I can venture out in the day, I can gather more wood. There is a tree on my hill.

I should plant my ethereal bloom soon. I worry that the taint is encroaching. I tear away the fiber taint with my skeletal hands, shuddering at the rotting sensation that keeps rolling over what little skin I have from my elbow down. Yes, think of a zombie, with a skeleton's arms. I have not tried to peel away what remains of my leather footwear, to examine the rest of me. As long as my legs do not rot off my body, I will be... fine. Yes.

I found copper and one piece of zinc. I found a bit of iron, and 4 pieces of coal. That's it. I didn't do much, as I heard the groans of a zombie. I am barely clinging to this world, and every step is laborious. I might see if I can make ladders with enough wood. To seal up the tunnel going down. I worry about the fiber on the roof.

I need to learn. Learn how to research. To sit and read through this Thaumonomicon. Only thing is, I need gold and shards to start. And sand for glass. That much I know. I shall do some research.

Zztheman13

Jul 29, 2019
Thou asks, thou shall receive.

I am shocked.

Shocked at how fast this taint spreads. First the fibers, they spread across the land. If left unchecked, the taint takes over that portion of land. You cannot recover that land.

The hill I took shelter inside is very delicate. The node is so very fragile. Think of a quartz sphere, floating, spinning, almost a harmony of light and color. It could almost sit in a sun collector. I like it. Its pretty. I do not wish to lose it.
I did go in creative to find the node, its way way below me. I also wrote down my seed, since I cannot change out of hardcore.

Every new witch starts off similar to a normal miner. Punch wood, mine stone, get iron. Being able to grow anything here... is almost impossible. I do not know what taint does to the crops, but I have a feeling it will do the same as it does to wood or stone. Rot. Wither. Die.

I find it a bit difficult to mine. No one is around. I do not care for modesty. My robe holds to me, but I tore away the remains of my sleeves. Used the worn fabric to tie my tools to my hand. I have no grip. No sense of touch. I forget just how critical muscle and nerve and skin were. I know now.

Back to the issue of mining. The minerals are a bit scarce. If I can venture out in the day, I can gather more wood. There is a tree on my hill.

I should plant my ethereal bloom soon. I worry that the taint is encroaching. I tear away the fiber taint with my skeletal hands, shuddering at the rotting sensation that keeps rolling over what little skin I have from my elbow down. Yes, think of a zombie, with a skeleton's arms. I have not tried to peel away what remains of my leather footwear, to examine the rest of me. As long as my legs do not rot off my body, I will be... fine. Yes.

I found copper and one piece of zinc. I found a bit of iron, and 4 pieces of coal. That's it. I didn't do much, as I heard the groans of a zombie. I am barely clinging to this world, and every step is laborious. I might see if I can make ladders with enough wood. To seal up the tunnel going down. I worry about the fiber on the roof.

I need to learn. Learn how to research. To sit and read through this Thaumonomicon. Only thing is, I need gold and shards to start. And sand for glass. That much I know. I shall do some research.

:D

Caigan

Jul 29, 2019
Not too deep into it yet but I'm already liking it, from the premise to the in-game materials to help explain things.

There might a creeping performance bug. After three or four hours of play you might experience a slowdown.
If this is talking about how after a while, picking up items/breaking blocks lags more and more the longer the game is running, this is possibly due to the version of Inventory Tweaks you have. Try downgrading it to 147 instead of dev-152. (This plagued my pack for a few versions as well).

ZephyrWindSpirit

Jul 29, 2019
Wow...
That's a Jampacked Entry Right Here. The Modpack, And This Poem... Good Look Trying To Beat the Poem!
Story, STORY, not poem. I don't do that rhyme thing. -squirrels away with quill and parchment to keep writing... er, dictating to my familiar owl who writes for me. Skeleton hands, remember.-

Reactions: Sparklepire

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
Not too deep into it yet but I'm already liking it, from the premise to the in-game materials to help explain things.

If this is talking about how after a while, picking up items/breaking blocks lags more and more the longer the game is running, this is possibly due to the version of Inventory Tweaks you have. Try downgrading it to 147 instead of dev-152. (This plagued my pack for a few versions as well).
No, it is more the fact that I have a lot of content that strains computers. Spreading taint and the weather mod are the big offenders. It isn't too bad now and I'm slowly getting on top of it and cutting things down here and there and speeding things up.

feralferret

Jul 29, 2019
Are dayblooms disabled somehow? Mine are not generating any mana. They are planted on the surface - same problem in both plains and magical forest biomes. :\

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
Are dayblooms disabled somehow? Mine are not generating any mana. They are planted on the surface - same problem in both plains and magical forest biomes. :\
That was my fault. The weather mod is currently locking vanilla weather. I've fixed it in the next bersion. They are still not going to be very useful, given how prevalent tornadoes and such are.

feralferret

Jul 29, 2019
Ahhh ok. I actually built a weather suppression machine and have a nice little walled off area on the surface. The main threat to me at the moment is the deranged wildlife and taint swarms. Honestly I think it may be a little too easy to bypass the storms... it just takes 1 diamond, 8 iron and 8 redstone in total, all of which I had within an hour or so of starting.

manevilus

Jul 29, 2019
I know this may be a silly question, but how does one get rid of the taint fast enough while surviving and doing what needs to be done, i keep dying to taint swarms and my stuff keeps getting overrun :/

feralferret

Jul 29, 2019
My strategy so far has been to collect lots of wood, floral fertilizer, seeds, sand and some sugarcane, and then tunnel down before nightfall on the first day. Then you can place your ethereal bloom down below and do some cautious mining. Once you can afford to make a weather suppression machine you can build a little sheltered patch on the surface. If you luck out and find an untainted magical forest biome you can benefit from animal spawns too (with the added danger of them becoming tainted almost immediately - best to fence the area off ASAP).