[1.6.4]Crash Landing [Hardcore, HQM] version 1.1.x BETA STABLE

Riggs Eclipse

Jul 29, 2019
Ok me and a friend are seriously confused. Once we open a quest whether we have finished it or not we cant seem to make the book go back except for saving and quitting every time we just want to go back. its like the arrows on the bottom of the book are just gone. Are we missing something or what?

Hexerin

Jul 29, 2019
glowstone = magnum torch
torches = diagonal
using this example, how many torches can i place starting at the glowstone before i have to place another magnum torch? the F7 overlay doesn't work with them.

c3Btf.png

MissLid

Jul 29, 2019
Ok me and a friend are seriously confused. Once we open a quest whether we have finished it or not we cant seem to make the book go back except for saving and quitting every time we just want to go back. its like the arrows on the bottom of the book are just gone. Are we missing something or what

Hit the escape key.

Antaioz

Jul 29, 2019
glowstone = magnum torch
torches = diagonal
using this example, how many torches can i place starting at the glowstone before i have to place another magnum torch? the F7 overlay doesn't work with them.

c3Btf.png
According to the wiki's and the ExU mod post, the magnum torch has a circular radius of 64 blocks. Which means if you want to lay out a grid of magnum torches that prevents mob spawning, there's going to be some overlap.

With a 64-block radius, you'll want a magnum torch every (diagonally) 64 blocks. This sound's odd, but it needs to be 64 blocks so that when the next torch is placed horizontally from the first one, there is 128 blocks in-between them, leaving no gaps in the center of the torches.

Hexerin

Jul 29, 2019
According to the wiki's and the ExU mod post, the magnum torch has a circular radius of 64 blocks. Which means if you want to lay out a grid of magnum torches that prevents mob spawning, there's going to be some overlap.

With a 64-block radius, you'll want a magnum torch every (diagonally) 64 blocks. This sound's odd, but it needs to be 64 blocks so that when the next torch is placed horizontally from the first one, there is 128 blocks in-between them, leaving no gaps in the center of the torches.
okay so just to clarify about correct placements:
black squares = magnum torches
blue lines = 64 blocks horizontally diagonal
green lines = 128 blocks horizontally cardinal directions

sorry, but i'm extremely bad with this kind of stuff.

c3QnM.jpg

Antaioz

Jul 29, 2019
okay so just to clarify about correct placements:
black squares = magnum torches
blue lines = 64 blocks horizontally diagonal
green lines = 128 blocks horizontally cardinal directions

sorry, but i'm extremely bad with this kind of stuff.

c3QnM.jpg

yep, perfect.
If you imagine circles around each of the black squares that have a radius of half the green line, that's the non-spawnable areas.

Edit: Pretty picture
The area's of effect from the torches would look like this:
2Yj4upV.png

Last edited:

Hexerin

Jul 29, 2019
yep, perfect. If you imagine circles around each of the black squares that have a radius of half the green line, that's the non-spawnable areas.
okay cool, thanks for the help. magnum torches are super ugly to me, so i can't just spam them everywhere like i do with normal torches.

oh also, the 32 vertical is also spherical, right? like it's 32 vertical directly above the magnum torch, but it gets lower as you go towards the horizontal edges? this won't really matter since this map is pretty much perfectly flat and i will naturally place the magnum torches <60 blocks diagonally (cause i will bury them), but it's good to know just for general knowledge.

Antaioz

Jul 29, 2019
okay cool, thanks for the help. magnum torches are super ugly to me, so i can't just spam them everywhere like i do with normal torches.

oh also, the 32 vertical is also spherical, right? like it's 32 vertical directly above the magnum torch, but it gets lower as you go towards the horizontal edges? this won't really matter since this map is pretty much perfectly flat and i will naturally place the magnum torches <60 blocks diagonally (cause i will bury them), but it's good to know just for general knowledge.
yeah, the height is spherical too, it's sorta shaped like a mentos or (insert other candy here) ;)

Hexerin

Jul 29, 2019
yeah, the height is spherical too, it's sorta shaped like a mentos or (insert other candy here)
cool... definitely have to put some extra overlap since they'll be buried. probably go super safe and add an entire extra ring of them a few blocks inside the loaded chunks just to super-safezone everything. after all, they aren't that expensive when they become relevant.

Antaioz

Jul 29, 2019
cool... definitely have to put some extra overlap since they'll be buried. probably go super safe and add an entire extra ring of them a few blocks inside the loaded chunks just to super-safezone everything. after all, they aren't that expensive when they become relevant.

Oh wait, looks like it's 16 blocks radius up/down.

well, you can use this graph:
https://www.google.com.au/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&es_th=1&ie=UTF-8#q=plot y = cos(arcsin(x/64))*16
to figure out the height/radius edge stuff

if you hover over the line it gives you and x and y. the x is the distance from the torch horizontally, the y is the height.
so essentially if you want to see the range when the torch is buried 4 blocks deep, find where y is 4 (or 5, depending on how you count 'deep'), and note the x value, that's the range at that depth.

example:
bury the torch 6 blocks deep.
finding on the graph y = 7, x is about 57.6
we'll round down to 57, so the torches need to be 57 blocks apart diagonally as a maximum.
you can then add a few blocks safety from there and put them 55 blocks apart.

There's a fair bit of leeway with burying them. you don't start losing a lot of distance until burying them something like 10 blocks deep. half radius is around 13-14 blocks deep.

If you're only burying the torches 1-2 blocks down you can easily get away with 60 blocks apart, 2-3 blocks is 63ish.

Hexerin

Jul 29, 2019
Oh wait, looks like it's 16 blocks radius up/down.

well, you can use this graph:
https://www.google.com.au/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&es_th=1&ie=UTF-8#q=plot y = cos(arcsin(x/64))*16
to figure out the height/radius edge stuff

if you hover over the line it gives you and x and y. the x is the distance from the torch horizontally, the y is the height.
so essentially if you want to see the range when the torch is buried 4 blocks deep, find where y is 4 (or 5, depending on how you count 'deep'), and note the x value, that's the range at that depth.

example:
bury the torch 6 blocks deep.
finding on the graph y = 7, x is about 57.6
we'll round down to 57, so the torches need to be 57 blocks apart diagonally as a maximum.
you can then add a few blocks safety from there and put them 55 blocks apart.

There's a fair bit of leeway with burying them. you don't start losing a lot of distance until burying them something like 10 blocks deep. half radius is around 13-14 blocks deep.

If you're only burying the torches 1-2 blocks down you can easily get away with 60 blocks apart, 2-3 blocks is 63ish.
that's extremely helpful, thanks so much for this. they'll be buried 2 deep, as i don't need them buried so much as just 'out of sight'. come to think of it, are magnum torches compatible with microblocks panels? if so, i could easily hide the central torch and first ring in my base's walls, then the rest of them in outpost towers... then i wouldn't even need to bury them.

Evillevi

Jul 29, 2019
BTW I'm trying to make a mob trap with Open blocks Fan but for some reason it only turns on when you place a lever next to it and nothing else. In context I'm trying to hook it up to a central switch

Olafski

Jul 29, 2019
BTW I'm trying to make a mob trap with Open blocks Fan but for some reason it only turns on when you place a lever next to it and nothing else. In context I'm trying to hook it up to a central switch
From what I've found, it only works if you have it like this:
Code:
F-|
  |
F-+--S (e.g. redstone straight into the fan)
  |
F-|

This doesn't work:
Code:
F|
F+---S
F|

Not sure if that's your problem, or if it's even a basic redstone thing. I was used to red alloy wires :$

Reactions: Evillevi

Antaioz

Jul 29, 2019
A hexagonal layout would be more efficient, more awesome, but more harderer to lay out accurately.

Depends on what you mean by a hexagon layout

this layout:
iizol1V.png

spaced-out view:
oyoC4uH.png
where the torches are laid in a honeycomb pattern, isn't very good.

but this layout:
yppglwQ.png
where they're laid out in a sort of squashed diamond pattern (look at each group of four), works better than the diagonal approach.

But as you said, it'd be harder to count out and place in minecraft.

Hexerin

Jul 29, 2019
it really would be nice if the magnum torches just worked correctly with the F7 overlay. it's NEI that provides the overlay now right?