[1.6.4]Crash Landing [Hardcore, HQM] version 1.1.x BETA STABLE

Teebor

Jul 29, 2019
in order for him to port CL to 1.7 he will have to compleatley redo CL thats whi i say finish CL1 on 1.6 then start CL2 on 1.7

Sorry this was more in reference to the rebuilding the ship thing that Iskandar posted, for some reason when I was quoting things got a bit messed up and I ended up even quoting someone I didn't want to.
However I don't fully understand the new game starting mechnics involved as I've never looked in to it

Nope, you need new mods to work in 1.7 completely.

You mean the same mods just for version 1.7, which I kinda though was implied

DragonDai

Jul 29, 2019
EnderIO isn't the only alternative to TE pipes, while playing 1.7.2 a while back, Extra utilities pipes worked perfectly fine, for fluids, items, and energy alike. And they aren't gated behind a machine-wall like EIO (except maybe the energy pipes I think). So the missing TE functionality is already fulfilled by items in the current pack that are just overlooked, we don't even need new mods for that.

Extra Utilities pipes are exceedingly slow (for items anyway, haven't used the others). I have 4 speed upgrades in each upgrade slot on my shifting transfer nodes (waned to try something different) and it still has trouble keeping up. It's good for basic things, but not great.

And if energy piping is locked behind machines, well, that's a huge issue for this pack in particular.

Also, AE2 isn't as different to AE1 as you're making out...

Snipped for brevity. We'll just have to agree to disagree on this. I think AE2 is complexity for the sake of complexity and I think that's always bad. Again, I don't think the mod is completely without merit, but I think it is a substantially worse mod than AE1. And yes, I have played with it a lot. It's perfectly okay for us to disagree about the awesomeness of a mod.

Also, by the time Iskandar reaches actual end-game content for the quests, you'll likely have some of the updates/fixes that are needed for missing mods/content to be feature-complete. Before the end-game content is ready, you can't really complain about there being missing things in such high progression since the pack isn't really supposed to have you at that level yet, it stops halfway and people just keep playing and progressing anyway.

We're not missing either mods nor functionality, its all there already.

The core functionality is already there, yes. The basics. But the majority of non-core products are buggy, missing, or bad. And 1.7.10 is, in vanilla, buggy and performance poor for many people. Not to mention that even the "stable" mods are likely to continue to get upgrades, which will almost certainly introduce new bugs, at least occasionally. The benefit of staying with the older content is that it's unlikely to change anytime soon. The devil you know and all that.

Again, I am not saying never move to 1.7.10. I am just saying that right now there is basically no tangible benefit to the players and a lot of tangible downsides. I just don't see 1.7.10 bringing anything but headache to the average player anytime in the next couple of months. No one has really tried to prove that basic assumption wrong.

LordBufu

Jul 29, 2019
15340EEF5056900B108A21EE7848E09F.jpg

Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

Epic nerf hammer incomming ...

NerfHammer-480x350.png

:p

Teebor

Jul 29, 2019
Extra Utilities pipes are exceedingly slow (for items anyway, haven't used the others). I have 4 speed upgrades in each upgrade slot on my shifting transfer nodes (waned to try something different) and it still has trouble keeping up. It's good for basic things, but not great.

Have you tried other mods like Tubes? - http://www.minecraftforum.net/forum...-mods/1292474-1-7-10-tubes-2-0-4-21-july-2014

I've only just started fiddling with it so I don't know if it has any problems or if its not as fast?

The crafting is a bit long winded but not reliant on machines other than a basic furnace

Just another thought, since you can get the deep tank/high oven materials from the city like the smeltery, is/has the quest in the book changed to allow you to manually detect rather than having to still craft one? I think I have 2-3 of these now as I've found and built them.
I've not updated my pack yet but completed the quest so I don't know if it was changed

Last edited:

DragonDai

Jul 29, 2019
Have you tried other mods like Tubes?

I've only just started fiddling with it so I don't know if it has any problems or if its not as fast?

I am not familiar with Tubes. My "piping" mod experience is TE, EIO, and now EU. I like EU piping, don't get me wrong. It's cheap, it's reliable, it doesn't clog. It's good stuff. It's just VERY slow at moving individual items to many different places. If you're going from A to B with stacks of the same item, it's plenty up for handling the job with absolutely no issues at all. If you are moving from A to B-Z, you're moving 1-64 items at a time, and you're moving 50 different types of items, even extreme amounts of upgrades isn't enough.

This seems like a very specific example, and it is. Most people probably won't run into this issue, especially in modpacks that don't use Ex Nihilo. But I a automated sifter set up, going into barrels, has this exact issue. Dust has 20 something different items you can sift out of it. If each item has a barrel, what happens is that the EU xfer node looks at each barrel to find the one where the item it's trying to sort can go. So if it's looking for the barrel where the fish go (from sifting dust), basically, what it does is look at barrel 1. Eggs? Okay, next barrel. Glowstone? Okay next barrel. Redstone? Okay next barrel. Etc, until it finds the one for fish. Than it drops the fish in that barrel. Now it's got a redstone. Start the process over. Now it has another fish? Start the process all over, even though it just dumped a fish into a barrel just a moment ago, still has to look thru all of them again.

And yeah, SFM totally solves this issue. And I'll likely be using SFM for my next playthru instead of EU piping. But I shouldn't be forced to use SFM instead of a standard piping system if I don't want to have to deal with programing.

Like I said, EU piping works fine for most situations. But for some, specifically some in this modpack, it is very inadequate.

Reactions: DoomSquirter

Polymorph

Jul 29, 2019
About the Ender IO pipes being gated behind machines, that could be combated by doing things like changing recipes of items, making some be a quest reward for related quests, city loot...probably more things too.

Reactions: xcuad

DragonDai

Jul 29, 2019
About the Ender IO pipes being gated behind machines, that could be combated by doing things like changing recipes of items, making some be a quest reward for related quests, city loot...probably more things too.

Oh, yeah, totally. There are definitely ways around the problem. It just means more work for Iskandar. And again, unless I am mistaken, he wasn't too keen on EIO to begin with...

Genshou

Jul 29, 2019
I am not familiar with Tubes. My "piping" mod experience is TE, EIO, and now EU. I like EU piping, don't get me wrong. It's cheap, it's reliable, it doesn't clog. It's good stuff. It's just VERY slow at moving individual items to many different places. If you're going from A to B with stacks of the same item, it's plenty up for handling the job with absolutely no issues at all. If you are moving from A to B-Z, you're moving 1-64 items at a time, and you're moving 50 different types of items, even extreme amounts of upgrades isn't enough.

This seems like a very specific example, and it is. Most people probably won't run into this issue, especially in modpacks that don't use Ex Nihilo. But I a automated sifter set up, going into barrels, has this exact issue. Dust has 20 something different items you can sift out of it. If each item has a barrel, what happens is that the EU xfer node looks at each barrel to find the one where the item it's trying to sort can go. So if it's looking for the barrel where the fish go (from sifting dust), basically, what it does is look at barrel 1. Eggs? Okay, next barrel. Glowstone? Okay next barrel. Redstone? Okay next barrel. Etc, until it finds the one for fish. Than it drops the fish in that barrel. Now it's got a redstone. Start the process over. Now it has another fish? Start the process all over, even though it just dumped a fish into a barrel just a moment ago, still has to look thru all of them again.

And yeah, SFM totally solves this issue. And I'll likely be using SFM for my next playthru instead of EU piping. But I shouldn't be forced to use SFM instead of a standard piping system if I don't want to have to deal with programing.

Like I said, EU piping works fine for most situations. But for some, specifically some in this modpack, it is very inadequate.
The nice thing about XU nodes, though, is that they'll at least grab up to a full stack of whatever it is they're trying to sort. It does suck how many speed upgrades you need to keep up with a really high-yield multi-resource farm, though. I've used one on the receiving end of a digital miner with 9 speed upgrades and I had to fully upgrade the node to get things across any distance at all.

Shane2482

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, yeah, totally. There are definitely ways around the problem. It just means more work for Iskandar. And again, unless I am mistaken, he wasn't too keen on EIO to begin with...
this is from a conversation i had with Iskandar on EIO

Iskandar
Yeah.
I'm wary about adding new mods at this point. I've tried, and I am beginning to fail, at keeping this pack fairly lightweight so as not to cause lag on older computers
Shane
yea but EIO will help with a lot of the TE Lag and over stuffing probs
Iskandar
Yeah. I'll look into it. I think it might have to wait until the 1.7.10 conversion. Because that is going to cause a complete overhaul anyway

Reactions: xcuad

larae1929

Jul 29, 2019
Is this since updating to the most recent 1.1.2 .1? if so you could go back a version.

I actually havent updated this time, as I'd already fixed most of the changes, but update is the only thing thats changed recently.
We actually have not upgraded yet we are still running 1.12 and have tried several things but the zombies are still spawning in droves where they shouldn't be able to.....grrrr!

Antaioz

Jul 29, 2019
Snipped for brevity. We'll just have to agree to disagree on this. I think AE2 is complexity for the sake of complexity and I think that's always bad. Again, I don't think the mod is completely without merit, but I think it is a substantially worse mod than AE1. And yes, I have played with it a lot. It's perfectly okay for us to disagree about the awesomeness of a mod.

Don't get me wrong, I REALLY REALLY hate the channels and crap introduced into the new AE2. That and it's circumventable with P2P tunnels - intended or not, allowing 100s of channels run through one channel defeats the point of channels... Its just a complete pain in the backside from a mod that used to make complicated things simple, like storage. I'm saying the simple standard setup - the most useful bit, which is usually just disks + interface, still works the same way, and still works well. I'm not sure I'll ever bother with autocrafting anymore unless its a really really painful recipe, since I can't be bothered screwing around with the new system.

The core functionality is already there, yes. The basics. But the majority of non-core products are buggy, missing, or bad. And 1.7.10 is, in vanilla, buggy and performance poor for many people.

I must just be impervious to bugs or something then, because I haven't had problems with mods or performance on 1.7, the few bugs I noticed were either known or fixed by the time I checked (I just couldn't be bothered updating to fix them) or workarounds were simple. And it was only a few bugs, I can't even remember them they were insignificant enough.
I've no idea what makes me oblivious to performance issues either, I've a pretty good rig but java is usually oblivious to extra power after a certain (fairly low) point.
I did notice the world loads a bit slower - but that was after I added ATG, and was only an issue while exploring at high speed (flight), not something that happens a whole lot after base setup, and CL exploring is waking pace anyway.

Granted I haven't played with the new TE.

I'll defer to those with actual issues, be them bugs or performance, here.

With the ExU pipes, they are somewhat limited, but they're fine for the small stuff, by the time you need something really better, you can use SFM, or maybe someone will finally use conveyors as they were intended... lol...
SFM's not perfect, its a bit complicated so there is a gap where TE pipes used to be, but it's not gaping.
The energy pipes being machine blocked (QED i think) is the same issue as with enderIO, but atleast ExU is already in the pack, which helps reduce excess config changes Iskandar has to do.

I still think it's a good idea to at least start planning 1.7 now, the map would be a month away and everyone's starting to get into the swing of 1.7.10, I think lots of fixes and features aren't so far off.

Last edited:

schpeelah

Jul 29, 2019
If 1.7.10 is going to be a complete overhaul, I'd like to see Mekanism take TE's place as the main tech mod. It brings a lot of content to the table, and has a better high-tech feel to fit in the pack. The pipes are more similar to TE's than EIO's, at least for basic uses, which seems to be a concern for a lot of people here.

DragonDai

Jul 29, 2019
If 1.7.10 is going to be a complete overhaul, I'd like to see Mekanism take TE's place as the main tech mod. It brings a lot of content to the table, and has a better high-tech feel to fit in the pack. The pipes are more similar to TE's than EIO's, at least for basic uses, which seems to be a concern for a lot of people here.

Not familiar with this. And I am, by no means, fixated on TE. I like it cause I know it, but I have no issues using and learning new, fun mods. That's actually something I really appreciate about CL. It's got me out of my comfort zone, and now I'm much more knowledgeable about modded minecraft as a result. :D

Reactions: ScottieC

schpeelah

Jul 29, 2019
One thing that was brought up was that the survivalist generator is to easy to replicate en masse for industrial uses when it's supposed to be a early, weak energy generation option. Well, Mekanism's starting generator, the heat generator, is fairly inefficient on fuel but can run for free (for something like 5 RF/t) if it's surrounded by flowing lava on all sides (1 RF per side touching lava), making replication much less feasible while still providing early game accessibility.

mohrad

Jul 29, 2019
HQM lives are different from shells. In fact, this pack is by default on vanilla hardcore because the HQM lives system doesn't notice the shells.
I mean a world that I was already playing for 200+ days at 1.1.2 after updating to 1.1.2.1 no longer works with Sync.
Hardcore mode changed itself to Easy, I don't know how to revert that.
When I die, I lose the world EVEN THOUGH I have 2 Sync Shells left. My only observation is that HQM book states "If you die, you are out". So I am assuming the Sync<->HQM issue came back after updating to 1.1.2.1 somehow.

Teebor

Jul 29, 2019
One thing that was brought up was that the survivalist generator is to easy to replicate en masse for industrial uses when it's supposed to be a early, weak energy generation option. Well, Mekanism's starting generator, the heat generator, is fairly inefficient on fuel but can run for free (for something like 5 RF/t) if it's surrounded by flowing lava on all sides (1 RF per side touching lava), making replication much less feasible while still providing early game accessibility.

I love Mekanism as a mod, I think its great but the power generation is very OP compared to other sources. Windmills mounted high up, or Advanced solar panels can easily outstrip other sources.
BUT the flipside is the amount of power you need to run your Elite factories at full speed still requires more and more power, which does make a nice synergy with mods like Big Reactors for power output.

Because of the Factory progression I always try to include Mekanism in my packs because I think its a great system, and the ore multiplication is good as well.

I do also find issues with the logistical transporters not being very clever though, While they do not drop items I often see them outputting an item as it has a destination even though something may already be on its way to fill that destination. Resulting in lots of items bouncing around in the pipes causing a lot of lag as it cannot return to its source as the space created when it left may now be occupied. I've even seen one case where a very simple and short 3 destination set up had some 60k items bouncing around with nowhere to go and the sorters kept adding more when a destination became free for a split second.

I have to agree that getting started, especially in this map would be suitably tough though.

schpeelah

Jul 29, 2019
Because of the Factory progression I always try to include Mekanism in my packs because I think its a great system, and the ore multiplication is good as well.

I do also find issues with the logistical transporters not being very clever though, While they do not drop items I often see them outputting an item as it has a destination even though something may already be on its way to fill that destination.
Too bad the higher tiers of ore processing aren't feasible in this pack, as 4x requires a ton of water. And getting to 3x is a bit too easy, EIO is more balanced with their 3x.

TE itemducts have the same problem, but at least logistical transporters do not backstuff.

Vaeliorin

Jul 29, 2019

I had EU piping dealing with the output of 4 SFM powered sifters (gravel, dust ,sand, soul sand) plus my mob farm, and it not only kept up, but when I got stuff backed up (due to full barrels or rare mob drops I didn't have a spot for yet) it could empty a 3/4 full diamond chest in 30 seconds or so. I had one stack upgrade and 63 speed upgrades in my item node (had to use one speed upgrade for the stack upgrade) so my suggestion would be to build more upgrades.

That said, I'd welcome EnderIO or Mekanism in the future. Personally, I feel like rotarycraft might fit more feel-wise (as it feels less mechanically advanced and gives more of a Swiss Family Robinson style tech level, which I feel is more appropriate for a stranded survivor) but I understand why that won't ever happen.

The one thing I'd really like to see added is ICBM (which I'm probably going to try adding for my next playthrough) just because I'd like more active defenses. This would be even better if there was a mod that gave enemies the ability to bridge gaps and build stairs such that a simple wall/trench combo didn't make you essentially invincible.