[1.6.4]Crash Landing [Hardcore, HQM] version 1.1.x BETA STABLE

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
Iskandar wheres the nerf hammer
the nerf hammer is waiting in 1.7 version of modpack :)
My current list of issues: Some liquids in the world have an unwanted behavior. HQM is very, very buggy, for some odd damn reason. Enviromine has some behaviors that aren't bugs, but I'm not happy with. Chunkoading issues all over the place with TE, AE, and Sync. The City generator is buggy as all hell. Not the 1.7.10 version is much better, but meh. There are countless tiny bugs across nearly every mod that, individually, aren't that big of a deal but collectively I am just tired of getting of seeing. Actually I'm mostly tired of having to repeat "known bug, can't fix" to 90% of the bug reports I'm getting lately. There are a few Minetweaker tricks that aren't available to me in 1.6.4, and there are some odd behaviors that would be eliminated by the death of item and block IDs. It would definitely make server files easier. There are improvements and bug fixes in a few mods I desperately want, HQM, Enviromine and Pneumaticcraft mainly.

I've been resisting because I would need to rebuild the shuttle and all the end game buildings, completely redo my quests redo all my config files and restart my Minetweaker stuff pretty much from scratch. Nothing, more or less, of 1.6.4 Crash landing would be salvageable. which is just painful. But at this point the benefits outweigh all that.
how much have you actually played in 1.7/1.8 tho? Seriously. I strongly think that there's a HUGE gap in difference between those that have slight issues with 1.6.4 under certain conditions and those same people that cannot play 1.7.x comfortably because of all the bugs. So many mods have missing features and/or critical bugs that it's so hard to fathom when they'll be fixed to a point where it'd be considered stable.

Devil's advocate. Yes, alot of doors open up to you moving forward. Yes, current bugfixes. Yes, you're sick of saying this is a unfixable bug and want to say something else.

Well, what about the 100 or so new bugs that will inevitably come up? When will those be fixed, how soon will this be stable? Halp I deleted my world when I picked up a stick. I can't play it's in slow motion. How come my TE machines turned off? How come my TE machines go invis 2 when I look at them from the north side but not s/e/w? This is just the tip of the iceberg. Pessimist in me has to see all these things coming true. Optimists are smoking the good stuff.

Progress has to start sometime. Do you become the early adopter and suffer all the problems associated with it or jump in at the time before it hits it's stride? I know nothing of the state of affairs that is the mod community at large in comparison to you. Only you can predict those lines.

side note since I know you use it. Even MultiMC has it's fair share of issues running 1.7 packs right now. I'm still working out how to export my ftb instances for those without having to manually reinstall forge, etc... things like this cause me to question the new and embrace the current till that feeling subsides. that's me tho.[DOUBLEPOST=1410419591][/DOUBLEPOST]
Iskandar wheres the nerf hammer
here...
15340EEF5056900B108A21EE7848E09F.jpg

Shane2482

Jul 29, 2019
See im a bit biased i want 1.7 because the ruins mods have been updated and a lot of things have been fixed so i can build a Bigger Better More Dangerous city did i say more dangerous well let me say it again More Dangerous Cities :D:D:D

Reactions: Raveb and xcuad

Antaioz

Jul 29, 2019
... some of the mods you use in CL aren't available in 1.7.10 or are in extreme alpha/beta and super duper buggy or are radically different. The most obvious is TE

TBH, the biggest issue I have with 1.7.10 is that the only good piping mod (aka, a mod you could use to replace TE's liquiducts, item ducts, and conduits) is EnderIO.

That being said, you could always heavily modify the recipes for the piping in EnderIO so that they don't need machines, but unless I am mistaken, you had other misgivings about EnderIO to begin with. So yeah.

Most of the functionality that's 'missing' in 1.7.10 is fairly easily replaceable with other mods, and as you've said, changing recipes/removing items fixes the balance issues.
I don't believe TE is that much of a backbone to CL that those pipes being missing is a big deal either way.

You've always got SFM too, which most people seem to be using for their automation stuff anyway.

The core of CL, the water, food, pneumaticraft, all and seem to be updated and working in 1.7.10, providing fixes for Iskandar - So the core of the pack would be fine in the transition, possibly better. The only 'significant' mod in the quest chain that I see missing an official update is MFR - but I beleive there are beta builds.

Honestly, there isn't nearly as much missing as everyone seems to be making out.

Shane2482

Jul 29, 2019
Most of the functionality that's 'missing' in 1.7.10 is fairly easily replaceable with other mods, and as you've said, changing recipes/removing items fixes the balance issues.
I don't believe TE is that much of a backbone to CL that those pipes being missing is a big deal either way.

You've always got SFM too, which most people seem to be using for their automation stuff anyway.

The core of CL, the water, food, pneumaticraft, all and seem to be updated and working in 1.7.10, providing fixes for Iskandar - So the core of the pack would be fine in the transition, possibly better. The only 'significant' mod in the quest chain that I see missing an official update is MFR - but I beleive there are beta builds.

Honestly, there isn't nearly as much missing as everyone seems to be making out.
Also note that EIO can replace 99% of TE without all the TE bugs

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone

I know your comment was aimed at DragonDai, but my emphasis was not that things were missing, but missing functionality. Have you actually played with TE lately? I agree, no ducts is no problem until you run into that issue stated above. EnderIO requires machines to make any pipes, which would really be hard to do in nihilo based system. AE is fundamentally different, so much so it's not the same mod anymore. Relying on these mods to perform as well or better than what you have in 1.6.4 NOW isn't realistic. Near future? Oh most definitely yes. But that ETA on when that happens is a big question mark.

Again, not trying to be a luddite. I hate change but change is inevitable, so I see this as being inevitable. Just wondering if the timing's right. Especially with Iskandar stating that it'll take a month. That means whoever plays the thing for the first month or 3 are going to be in for a very bumpy ride, just as he's got momentum on his side from all the LP'ers, etc... Oh yeah, you bet I'll be one of those people playing it. I like new shinies. What I won't be doing? Responding to all the "New Member" peeps that start complaining about bugs, crashes, world destruction, how do I configure my computer to play, I get 3 fps, etc... nope. big freaking ghast in a bathing suit nope.

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
true dat, tho the farmer thing doesn't have a fertilizer thingie so you have normal growth but yeah, it works pretty damn well with tool durability.

Also, OB has alot of new things as well. Pretty fluffy wings of all types plus a bunch of new blocks and items. A lot has changed, only in 1.7, so yeah, new stuff is cool. Bedrockium drums that hold like 2 million buckets or some crap. heh it's awesome. I didn't see any conveyer belts but didn't look at EU.

One thing I did notice tho it might have been the pack. There were a lot of items (a lot) that ended up having the same ID (I know, but there are ID's still, but I think it's auto assigned) and meta but they would not stack. Buckets of lava/water stacking in pairs of 2. Also, and this is a big one, inventory tweaks. Buggy as all hell. Only sorts vanilla chests. Strongboxes, Iron Chests, etc... all sorts of strangeness happens, up to and including hit the sort key, all your inventory leaves you and goes into chest and all is sorted together. things like that. something you take seriously for granted, but doesn't have mod support of some sort or another. yet. I don't see this not being fixed, but....

The devs are doing triage on what bug fixes. fixing critical world shattering bugs first, then crush ctd bugs, then annoying bugs, then visual bugs, etc.... Obviously, it's going to take a bit of time to get to everything.

DragonDai

Jul 29, 2019

Totally. I thought I mentioned EIO. The big problem with EIO is that EIO is self-contained. What I mean by this is to make any of EIO work, you need all of EIO. This doesn't seem like a problem, and totally isn't in vanilla. In CL, where PnuenmaticCraft locks machines away until you are fairly well into the game, this becomes and issue. You can't just make some EIO piping and worry about the machines later. It just doesn't work that way. Iskandar certainly can make it work that way if he wanted to, but it'd be a lot of work.

Again, much like Doomsquirter, I am not trying to be all doom and gloom. I feel the change to 1.7.10 is, eventually, inevitable. And I think that 1.7.10 has the potential to be better than 1.6.4. But, as it stands, the potential just isn't there yet for the common user. The common user gets little to nothing positive out of switching to 1.7.10, but does get a WHOLE lot of negatives. This is 100% temporary. Over the next several months, all these bugs will be worked out. It's just not there now (and won't be in a month or two).

If Iskandar changes to 1.7.10, he should be aware that the number of bugs will almost certainly increase, the number of players unable to play (for any number of reasons) will almost certainly increase, and the transition will likely take 2-3 times longer than a month unless he works himself to death.

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
Let me clarify something. Choosing a path and enduring the pain/hardship of making that transition is really the problem here. Once you've put all the effort into it, what do you do if it doesn't perform the way you want?

@Iskandar, How would you feel about forking CL into a CL version 2.0. That way, people have a choice and so do you. Fork it, make a new CL 2.0 under 1.7.10. Do the work needed. Post betas, do whatever to get people to test pack, etc... But, if things are not ready for prime time because the mods need to catch up, you would still be able to post fixes to CL 1.0 if needed, and continue work on it (if wanted).

Forking it will allow you to point users to a working stable version (the current one), and adventurous peeps can go on to CL2. Yes, CL1 will eventually stagnate. That's a given. But, if they had separate entries in the FTB launcher, you wouldn't get a bunch of newbs chiming in on how bad this is, etc... Get a pack code for CL2 like CL was at beginning. This way, you can keep it beta till it does become prime time.

I think that would be a decent middle ground since it would separate old/new and funnel the users appropriately.

DragonDai

Jul 29, 2019
Let me clarify something. Choosing a path and enduring the pain/hardship of making that transition is really the problem here. Once you've put all the effort into it, what do you do if it doesn't perform the way you want?

@Iskandar, How would you feel about forking CL into a CL version 2.0. That way, people have a choice and so do you. Fork it, make a new CL 2.0 under 1.7.10. Do the work needed. Post betas, do whatever to get people to test pack, etc... But, if things are not ready for prime time because the mods need to catch up, you would still be able to post fixes to CL 1.0 if needed, and continue work on it (if wanted).

Forking it will allow you to point users to a working stable version (the current one), and adventurous peeps can go on to CL2. Yes, CL1 will eventually stagnate. That's a given. But, if they had separate entries in the FTB launcher, you wouldn't get a bunch of newbs chiming in on how bad this is, etc... Get a pack code for CL2 like CL was at beginning. This way, you can keep it beta till it does become prime time.

I think that would be a decent middle ground since it would separate old/new and funnel the users appropriately.

I don't see how this is any different than just moving the pack over to 1.7.10 entirely, unless you are suggesting he basically make 2 packs at once. The end result is the same, 1.1.3 is the last 1.6.4 CL, and 1.1.4, or 2 in your terminology, transitions to 1.7.10. Unless I am missing something? (which I probably am, I am not too bright)

Tylor

Nov 24, 2012
How do I get cows (or milk) and wheat seeds? breaking grass does not seem to drop anything.

Teebor

Jul 29, 2019
I take that back now. I'm standing over my conveyer spawner and noticing that every time a mob gets killed, something goes flying out the front, but I have a rapid item valve as well above it which I forgot to mention. I might be picking up the drops that way. I guess I'll have to play more to figure out if that's the case.

I'm guessing that this is because the grinder does not actually have an inventory like a normal block, but items can get "stuck" in it when there is nowhere to output or jettison to which then causes it to "jam"
I just chuck a vanilla chest next to it to work as a buffer of sorts and then pick the items from out of there, the grinder is never going to produce more items than a SFM can move.
Grinders produce just a little more items than an itemduct can move so a chest works perfectly as a buffer.

How do I get cows (or milk) and wheat seeds? breaking grass does not seem to drop anything.

I think you need to hoe the grass blocks with your mattock but it has a REALLY low drop rate for the wheat seeds.

I've not really had much need for cows, but I am guessing from the "life" quests that the only way you can get them is with the repeatable "life" quests

Shane2482

Jul 29, 2019
my advice to Iskandar was if he can get current endgame done in 113 then do it and start CL2 fresh in 1.7 and just bug fix what can be fixed in CL1

Reactions: ScottieC

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
I don't see how this is any different than just moving the pack over to 1.7.10 entirely, unless you are suggesting he basically make 2 packs at once. The end result is the same, 1.1.3 is the last 1.6.4 CL, and 1.1.4, or 2 in your terminology, transitions to 1.7.10. Unless I am missing something? (which I probably am, I am not too bright)
I think his mind is made up regardless. He's the one needing to do the work, he's the one having to make decisions, etc...

Going this route, he gets to do a bunch of work towards his goal, then at the end of his beta progression, look at the product, and not be 100% comitted to fulfilling tasks if the timing doesn't work. For example, mods don't work, bugs, ctd's, features, etc. He can then put it on hold, lose no work during time and make goals towards doing the rest when the time is right, and still have a version out there he could support in the mean time.

I think it's inevitable that we'll be on 1.7. Inevitable like a skeleton thief baby on crack sneaking up on you in the night, stealing your best sword and running into the horizon with it.

My biggest concern was that it'd branch off, get a new version number and be a choice in the Crash Landing FTB launcher that hosts the current version. People would just pick latest version and he'd have an onslaught of newbs with more issues than he could ever hope to resolve, and then they'd come to this topic, choke the death out of it with complaints that nobody could address. That would be ruination. No good could come from it.

Having it's own title, a pack code, etc... Then he has choices. If he forces himself to only move forward even if it's not ready, well, then more power to ya I guess. Just as people started playing the pack with all the LP'ers too. tough choice.

TBH, don't get me wrong. I want newer greater things. I'm for a better version of CL. I just don't want to trade in my very stable world for a buggy one. If this goes the way BnB did for me with Ticking entity's, dangerous world destroying nether trips (that I see still happen to people), yeah, I'll stop playing.

Teebor

Jul 29, 2019
my advice to Iskandar was if he can get current endgame done in 113 then do it and start CL2 fresh in 1.7 and just bug fix what can be fixed in CL1

I thought that the 1.6.4 worlds could be loaded up in 1.7.x versions? I've never tried it and I am sure there will be a couple of things wrong like transitions between different generated and un-generated areas because of new biomes. But since this world is basically one giant dust bowl this will not be an issue?

Probably some other things missing/broken but only minor things for the starting ship?

Shane2482

Jul 29, 2019
I thought that the 1.6.4 worlds could be loaded up in 1.7.x versions? I've never tried it and I am sure there will be a couple of things wrong like transitions between different generated and un-generated areas because of new biomes. But since this world is basically one giant dust bowl this will not be an issue?

Probably some other things missing/broken but only minor things for the starting ship?

in order for him to port CL to 1.7 he will have to compleatley redo CL thats whi i say finish CL1 on 1.6 then start CL2 on 1.7

Antaioz

Jul 29, 2019
I know your comment was aimed at DragonDai, but my emphasis was not that things were missing, but missing functionality. Have you actually played with TE lately? I agree, no ducts is no problem until you run into that issue stated above. EnderIO requires machines to make any pipes, which would really be hard to do in nihilo based system. AE is fundamentally different, so much so it's not the same mod anymore. Relying on these mods to perform as well or better than what you have in 1.6.4 NOW isn't realistic. Near future? Oh most definitely yes. But that ETA on when that happens is a big question mark.

Again, not trying to be a luddite. I hate change but change is inevitable, so I see this as being inevitable. Just wondering if the timing's right. Especially with Iskandar stating that it'll take a month. That means whoever plays the thing for the first month or 3 are going to be in for a very bumpy ride, just as he's got momentum on his side from all the LP'ers, etc... Oh yeah, you bet I'll be one of those people playing it. I like new shinies. What I won't be doing? Responding to all the "New Member" peeps that start complaining about bugs, crashes, world destruction, how do I configure my computer to play, I get 3 fps, etc... nope. big freaking ghast in a bathing suit nope.

EnderIO isn't the only alternative to TE pipes, while playing 1.7.2 a while back, Extra utilities pipes worked perfectly fine, for fluids, items, and energy alike. And they aren't gated behind a machine-wall like EIO (except maybe the energy pipes I think). So the missing TE functionality is already fulfilled by items in the current pack that are just overlooked, we don't even need new mods for that.

Also, AE2 isn't as different to AE1 as you're making out, the cables are a bit more finnicky, and the auto-crafting has changed, but honestly I use shift-click and the crafting terminal more than the AE1 autocrafter, as I suspect a lot of people do aswell. Either way, what most people want, the compact storage at cost of energy, is exactly the same. You still plonk down a drive, interface, energy box, shove in some drives and bam - storage done. The only big difference I can see as an actual issue is the gated processor recipes, but that doesn't matter if Iskandar keeps the current recipes, which is highly likely anyway.

Both of those mod examples are moot points, because they do already perform just as well as they did before, TE through alternatives, and AE2 isn't nearly as big a deal as everyone makes out...

Also, by the time Iskandar reaches actual end-game content for the quests, you'll likely have some of the updates/fixes that are needed for missing mods/content to be feature-complete. Before the end-game content is ready, you can't really complain about there being missing things in such high progression since the pack isn't really supposed to have you at that level yet, it stops halfway and people just keep playing and progressing anyway.

We're not missing either mods nor functionality, its all there already.

Edit:
Wheat seeds eventually come from right clicking grass blocks with a mattock, be patient as it can take a very long time, and a few mattocks (repair before they break, and they will break, its a bug).

Cows are a quest, I'll leave it at that, the book can tell you the rest.

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
I'm guessing that this is because the grinder does not actually have an inventory like a normal block, but items can get "stuck" in it when there is nowhere to output or jettison to which then causes it to "jam"
I just chuck a vanilla chest next to it to work as a buffer of sorts and then pick the items from out of there, the grinder is never going to produce more items than a SFM can move.
Grinders produce just a little more items than an itemduct can move so a chest works perfectly as a buffer.

I think you need to hoe the grass blocks with your mattock but it has a REALLY low drop rate for the wheat seeds.

I've not really had much need for cows, but I am guessing from the "life" quests that the only way you can get them is with the repeatable "life" quests
I don't know what the animation signifies. In my big setup, as soon as it had one item that didn't have an exit backwards I guess, it jammed. I really don't know what could be doing it but might be the actual rapid item valve trying to pick up items grinder is picking. dunno.

DragonDai

Jul 29, 2019
in order for him to port CL to 1.7 he will have to compleatley redo CL thats whi i say finish CL1 on 1.6 then start CL2 on 1.7

This is a stance I can get behind. Even if the "ending" isn't perfect, that's okay. It could even be a "to-be-continued" sort of ending...we get the main ship all fixed up, blast off....and land right back on the world we started due to something we thought we fixed not actually being fixed...and have to start all over. But yeah. I just don't think it's a great time to rush off to 1.7. Soon...soon it will be a great time...but right now this moment (or in a week or two when 1.1.3 comes out)?

Reactions: ScottieC

Shane2482

Jul 29, 2019
This is a stance I can get behind. Even if the "ending" isn't perfect, that's okay. It could even be a "to-be-continued" sort of ending...we get the main ship all fixed up, blast off....and land right back on the world we started due to something we thought we fixed not actually being fixed...and have to start all over. But yeah. I just don't think it's a great time to rush off to 1.7. Soon...soon it will be a great time...but right now this moment (or in a week or two when 1.1.3 comes out)?
yea i dont know if he could get the end game done in113 or not but waiting till 114 or later and finishing CL1 befor moving to CL2 on 1.7 would make better sence that way he wont need to remake a pack that is so close to being finished

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone

Nope, you need new mods to work in 1.7 completely.
EnderIO isn't the only alternative to TE pipes, while playing 1.7.2 a while back, Extra utilities pipes worked perfectly fine, for fluids, items, and energy alike. And they aren't gated behind a machine-wall like EIO (except maybe the energy pipes I think). So the missing TE functionality is already fulfilled by items in the current pack that are just overlooked, we don't even need new mods for that.

Also, AE2 isn't as different to AE1 as you're making out, the cables are a bit more finnicky, and the auto-crafting has changed, but honestly I use shift-click and the crafting terminal more than the AE1 autocrafter, as I suspect a lot of people do aswell. Either way, what most people want, the compact storage at cost of energy, is exactly the same. You still plonk down a drive, interface, energy box, shove in some drives and bam - storage done. The only big difference I can see as an actual issue is the gated processor recipes, but that doesn't matter if Iskandar keeps the current recipes, which is highly likely anyway.

Both of those mod examples are moot points, because they do already perform just as well as they did before, TE through alternatives, and AE2 isn't nearly as big a deal as everyone makes out...

Also, by the time Iskandar reaches actual end-game content for the quests, you'll likely have some of the updates/fixes that are needed for missing mods/content to be feature-complete. Before the end-game content is ready, you can't really complain about there being missing things in such high progression since the pack isn't really supposed to have you at that level yet, it stops halfway and people just keep playing and progressing anyway.

We're not missing either mods nor functionality, its all there already.

Edit:

Wheat seeds eventually come from right clicking grass blocks with a mattock, be patient as it can take a very long time, and a few mattocks (repair before they break, and they will break, its a bug).

Cows are a quest, I'll leave it at that, the book can tell you the rest.
Agreed about EU. Forgot about those. so yeah, you can use those.

AE2? gone are the days of shift clicking a pattern and not having the item already. Everything has to exist for the pattern to develop since you're in an actual crafting grid. It is quite different. Figuring out channels, cables, etc... it does become an altogether different mod since alot of the stuff you do to make them, connect them, organize through upgrades instead of dedicated cables (busses, etc..) are completely different. at some point in time, it becomes something entirely different than what came before.

Never said they didn't perform as well. Bug wise, feature wise, I named a few critical examples (i.e. invtweaks) which will aggravate way too many people to throw out there for common consumption.

Lemme know when you can loan me your crystal ball. Mine's a bit fuzzy, is black and has a large 8 printed on it.