[1.6.4]Crash Landing [Hardcore, HQM] version 1.1.x BETA STABLE

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
Yeah, that was the impression I got as well. The big change was the Item ID thing, and the second biggest thing was the biome generation (which doesn't affect this pack at all, obviously). I just don't see either of those things really affecting this pack in the slightest. Therefore, it seems like we are trading a lot for basically nothing. And to everyone saying "Yeah, switch to 1.7.10, it'll have less bugs." This is just not the case. 1.7.10 and the mods associated it are just crazy buggy. Buggy buggy buggy. Every mod I've ever used in 1.7.10 has been just crazy buggy with world crashing/world corrupting bugs. And there are at least a couple of mods that this pack uses that aren't available (yet) for 1.7.10.

TBH, I just don't get why anyone would want to switch over. Maybe for CL 2 or something, sure. But yeah, for CL, I just think that there are literally no good reasons to switch, and lots of good reasons to stay in 1.6.4. I could be wrong. I don't claim to know everything about the two versions. Maybe there are some fixes in 1.7.10 that specifically fix some of the bugs in CL. If so, yeah, totally, lets go to 1.7.10. But if not, I just don't see any advantage at all to switching.
At this transition point, the problem is amplified by the fact that on one side, you have the old/current, the 1.6.4. Almost all the modders have kissed it goodbye and moved onto 1.7/1.8 thus, definitely no improvements, possibly some bug fixes but in some cases, none of those whatsoever. Thus, what you have is what you WILL have moving forward.

On the other side, the modders are actively working on 1.7, possibly 1.8 and thus, the future (emphasis on FUTURE) will hold much greater promise in time since they are actively adding new features as well as fixing bugs on a constant basis and getting used to forge and forge itself is going through alot of changes internally to be compatible for 1.7, and 1.8, thus you have two camps working independently of each other, both creating bugs and fixing them that it's going to take a while for some stability to come to pass.

As I stated above, my experience is definitely a 20-30 fps drop at this moment tho a direct comparison is pretty much out of the question since things are so different. my experience tho is that 1.7 (haven't played 1.8 yet) is just too immature to enjoy too much at this time. It's definitely within forge and the mods themselves that this problem lies tho. Vanilla 1.7.2 and 1.7.10 work just fine on my box.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
i have not, but i will now. always in need of help when it comes to building, as i'm one of those 'function > appearance' minded people. so long as it works, could almost care less what it looks like. that being said, i still do enjoy cozy living spaces. since i'm a nature kind of person, it's only natural that i would heavily lean towards farming and the creation of farming facilities.

I can't remember if he made Resonant Rise threads for his playthroughs but I seem to remember that and much of the stuff was amazing and he's pretty good at maintaining functionality as well.

DragonDai

Jul 29, 2019
At this transition point, the problem is amplified by the fact that on one side, you have the old/current, the 1.6.4. Almost all the modders have kissed it goodbye and moved onto 1.7/1.8 thus, definitely no improvements, possibly some bug fixes but in some cases, none of those whatsoever. Thus, what you have is what you WILL have moving forward.

On the other side, the modders are actively working on 1.7, possibly 1.8 and thus, the future (emphasis on FUTURE) will hold much greater promise in time since they are actively adding new features as well as fixing bugs on a constant basis and getting used to forge and forge itself is going through alot of changes internally to be compatible for 1.7, and 1.8, thus you have two camps working independently of each other, both creating bugs and fixing them that it's going to take a while for some stability to come to pass.

As I stated above, my experience is definitely a 20-30 fps drop at this moment tho a direct comparison is pretty much out of the question since things are so different. my experience tho is that 1.7 (haven't played 1.8 yet) is just too immature to enjoy too much at this time. It's definitely within forge and the mods themselves that this problem lies tho. Vanilla 1.7.2 and 1.7.10 work just fine on my box.

Yeah, 1.6.4 still has some bugs, the mods more so than the regular bits. But they are manageable, and there won't be any new bugs introduced because, like you said, most mod authors have moved on from 1.6.4. 1.7.10 and it's mods not only have bugs currently, but they will continue to have bugs and gain new bugs over the next couple of months as mods evolve, grow, change, etc. Things will get better in 1.7.10, but not for a while.

And yeah, 20-30 FPS drop, that's pretty consistent with what I am seeing. I haven't tried 1.7.x in vanilla before. TBH, I never play vanilla anymore. But yeah, modded 1.7.10 Minecraft is a pretty big mess at the moment.

Reactions: DoomSquirter

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
Just wanted to add that I echo many of DoomSquirter's concerns, especially in regards to TE. I also REALLY dislike AE2. Unlike Doomsquirter, who has misgivings, I downright dislike basically all the changes (to AE). But yeah, like Doomspuirter said, changing to 1.7.10 will take WAY longer than 1 month and will require several pretty dramatic changes to the modpack (the biggest being that EnderIO is basically a necessity for piping).

I have had the opposite experience with 1.7. Performance degradation (massively), no real extra content outside of biomes (which totally doesn't apply to this mod), and really no good things for players.
that's not opposite :) that's worse. I had 20-30 fps drop across the board, plus the world gen issues. Alot of the worldgen issues tho, try fastcraft. it does work well. I stuck with 1.6 since 1.7 and 1.8 have caused alot of headaches to ppl. there's now a 1.9 I haven't tried yet.

Note, alot of these mods that have hideous worldgen (botania/pneumaticraft) can be edited via config to reduce that worldgen, but it doesn't get rid of it entirely. I didn't even bring up nihilo since who knows what that looks like now. haven't gotten much experience in that regard for 1.7. a pack I played had it but there was no recipes for sticks or planks thus, you sorta didn't do much right from the beginning :(

as far as ae2 goes, it's completely different. Once you start to play with it a bit tho, there are parts that are quite appealing. For example, I setup a mac to do quad compressed cobble. I've never had such a fast freaking compressor ever. It was really really fast. logout and login, the crafting tasks are still running. nice. You can setup a 1 to many or a many to 1 crafter. Thus, have 1 interface surrounded by a bunch of crafters. the interface you put 10 patterns in and it'll use all the crafters to make any of those patterns simultaneously (i.e. compressed cobble). OR, you put a crafter surrounded by interface facades and each interface holds 10 patterns, those will all share that one crafter for one off jobs. The interface terminal allows you place patterns individually even if the crafters are remote. You can rename the crafters/interfaces so they show up in terminal, thus customize the hell out of your setup.

Channels tho. hate em. I need to rewatch algo's vid on that since I have a habit of running one line up to factory and I ran out of channels from a dense cable (32 channels). thus needed to run multiples up to factory. I think I'm doing it wrong.

It is quite different tho. quite different. different is almost always bad when you first see it, but more times than not, you start appreciating the new once you understand what it has to offer.

Antaioz

Jul 29, 2019
I've never had any issues with 1.7, granted that was 1.7.2 - but not a problem in the world

I guess it pays to have a powerful rig ;)

Channels tho. hate em. I need to rewatch algo's vid on that since I have a habit of running one line up to factory and I ran out of channels from a dense cable (32 channels). thus needed to run multiples up to factory. I think I'm doing it wrong.

Yeah channels are a F***** pain, the easy way to get around them is to just use ME P2P tunnels everywhere, you can daisy chain them pretty much anywhere and run 100s of channels through 1 cable. From what I hear its 'kindof' intended.

DragonDai

Jul 29, 2019
that's not opposite :) that's worse. I had 20-30 fps drop across the board, plus the world gen issues.

That was in reply to someone else. He was saying that 1.7.x improved performance. I was saying that I had the opposite reaction to him, or, to put it another way, I had the same experiences as you.

as far as ae2 goes, it's completely different. Once you start to play with it a bit tho, there are parts that are quite appealing. For example, I setup a mac to do quad compressed cobble. I've never had such a fast freaking compressor ever. It was really really fast. logout and login, the crafting tasks are still running. nice. You can setup a 1 to many or a many to 1 crafter. Thus, have 1 interface surrounded by a bunch of crafters. the interface you put 10 patterns in and it'll use all the crafters to make any of those patterns simultaneously (i.e. compressed cobble). OR, you put a crafter surrounded by interface facades and each interface holds 10 patterns, those will all share that one crafter for one off jobs. The interface terminal allows you place patterns individually even if the crafters are remote. You can rename the crafters/interfaces so they show up in terminal, thus customize the hell out of your setup.

It is quite different tho. quite different. different is almost always bad when you first see it, but more times than not, you start appreciating the new once you understand what it has to offer.

Yeah, I've played with it quite abit. I am not saying it's completely devoid of merit. I'm just saying that the pros are vastly outweighed by the cons.

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
I've never had any issues with 1.7, granted that was 1.7.2 - but not a problem in the world

I guess it pays to have a powerful rig ;)
It's not as much powerful rig, it's a NEWER rig. that's the issue. the opengl that they threw to the curb was what alot of boxes only had compatibility for. Anything 2-3 years old should run it fine. But my box isn't a total slouch, but yeah, read above.

I think Iskandar wants to upgrade since he's getting a new machine soon :)

I'll be buying an aurora or thereabouts sometime after I move in a month or more. hopefully. so then I can be a smug person like you.[DOUBLEPOST=1410413846][/DOUBLEPOST]
That was in reply to someone else. He was saying that 1.7.x improved performance. I was saying that I had the opposite reaction to him, or, to put it another way, I had the same experiences as you.

Yeah, I've played with it quite abit. I am not saying it's completely devoid of merit. I'm just saying that the pros are vastly outweighed by the cons.
yeah, sorry. text flying by at warp 10, hard to keep track. agreed tho. I see the inevitability for moving forward. I do. I'd just like for the water to warm up a bit more before I dive in head first. Try the phoenix pack tho. do try it. It's really quite playable out of the box and quite fun. It was a good jaunt. I'm going to replay it some more in a bit. I cheated alot of AE in cause I didn't know wtf I was doing plus gave myself some fairy wings cause they looked so freaking cute on me. :) seriously. I want to do a complete non cheat. that skylands tho is awesomely different. TBH, agrarian skies would have fit so well with skylands and the fiction behind it that Eyamaz alluded to, etc...

DragonDai

Jul 29, 2019
yeah, sorry. text flying by at warp 10, hard to keep track. agreed tho. I see the inevitability for moving forward. I do. I'd just like for the water to warm up a bit more before I dive in head first. Try the phoenix pack tho. do try it. It's really quite playable out of the box and quite fun. It was a good jaunt. I'm going to replay it some more in a bit. I cheated alot of AE in cause I didn't know wtf I was doing plus gave myself some fairy wings cause they looked so freaking cute on me. :) seriously. I want to do a complete non cheat. that skylands tho is awesomely different. TBH, agrarian skies would have fit so well with skylands and the fiction behind it that Eyamaz alluded to, etc...

No worries. It happens. I'll give the Phoenix pack a go. Been looking for something to tide me over till 1.1.3. And yeah. 1.7.10 or something newer IS the future. I just don't mind waiting for a couple more months (4-6 I think will be about right) till things simmer down and new bugs aren't being introduced in every single mod update.

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
No worries. It happens. I'll give the Phoenix pack a go. Been looking for something to tide me over till 1.1.3. And yeah. 1.7.10 or something newer IS the future. I just don't mind waiting for a couple more months (4-6 I think will be about right) till things simmer down and new bugs aren't being introduced in every single mod update.
wait until the next update. there's a really REALLY annoying bug that I'm waiting for them to patch for me to start over. it's from Thaumic Tinker. By default, you always have high legs (i.e. step up one block) on all the time. That, plus skyblockish map, plus the lag == lots of plumetting to your death. a lot.

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
Ok, so onto why I came on here in the first place and not spend an hour typing or whatever the hell that was.

So, I figured out some interesting tricks and decided to create a new mob spawner using cursed earth based on my last setup, but this time using the EU conveyer belts, and alot of SFM trickery. The goal was to be lazy as possible :) and to keep explosions away from equipment, etc. Thus, no ducts, no redstone electrical exposed, nothing but SFM and the machines themselves. Because of this, I went in sorta blind and implemented something that didn't work and wondering if people have had the same issue or not.

My conveyer belt around the base (which works awesomely at night btw) is setup like below:
GC
PC
XCCCCC
where G=grinder, P=power (tesseract) and C is SFM cable.
works fine. quick simple input -> output for liquids/items and everything's fine.

with new setup> I wanted just the SFM cable on bottom of grinder to handle everything. Power would meet in back of grinder. I swear I did this before. grinders stopped working immediately. item stuck in there. ok. check sfm, even with all sides set, nothing. I had to put a strongbox on bottom and cable to side touching grinder to pull out essence. So, the sneaky sided SFM setup doesn't work with grinders? But it will work fine if you're actually attached on back? I can't do this setup without huge headaches by running power zigzaggy and I don't want to use tesseracts here since I have 4 grinders in a large room (interior space 11x11x5-6). The middle is for the soon to be placed mob spawner.

Realized I could swap out everything in all my drawbridges surrounding rooms to anything since they are inventories (tho I had one buggy issue where drawbridge BECAME cursed earth which was real fun for 1 millisecond). but it works pretty flawlessly and I didn't have to go to each drawbridge and put in 5 cursed earth. let sfm do it for me. :)

Put in some illuminators hooked up to sfm as well (who needs mfr rednet anymore :) ) and it makes a really nice system but I'm peeved about that thing of needing a strongbox to collect items.

tldr; anyone have issues with MFR grinder and SFM with SFM not being able to pick up items unless it's on a specific side (the cable that is)?

I'll post pics when I'm done.

Antaioz

Jul 29, 2019
-snip-
anyone have issues with MFR grinder and SFM with SFM not being able to pick up items unless it's on a specific side (the cable that is)?

I'll post pics when I'm done.

Yeah, I tried that a while ago, gave up when the cable couldn't grab items - didn't check other sides, thats news to me. It doesn't sound like much of a problem then, just have the cable on the back and power on the bottom right?

Hexerin

Jul 29, 2019
let's put this another way, if in 1.1.4 iskandar upgrades the pack to mc1.7, and you experience problems... you can always just choose one of the previous pack versions in the FTB launcher for the interim. there's no real reason for iskandar to hold back anymore, if the option to update to mc1.7 is available.

one of the strongest features that mc1.7 gives us is integration for twitch.tv, which makes it even easier for people to LP the pack and spread it further. i see that alone as more than enough of a reason to update.

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
Yeah, I tried that a while ago, gave up when the cable couldn't grab items - didn't check other sides, thats news to me. It doesn't sound like much of a problem then, just have the cable on the back and power on the bottom right?
yeah. that seems to be the issue. but with my setup, unless I wanted to re run a bunch of stuff, I couldn't do that. sucks.

btw, dark glass seems to keep even the ghost spiders from clipping through, maybe cause they can't see you. backpedaled majorly when I noticed he didn't move at all when I saw one appear. *phew* I ended up going through 15-18 cities all mostly in one cardinal direction and found 4 reactors and 10+ of all the hearts through all my trips and untold amount of seared brick and such that yeah, I haven't even made my pneumaticraft setups yet at all in this playthrough and I've been able to make everything I could want :) hehe

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
let's put this another way, if in 1.1.4 iskandar upgrades the pack to mc1.7, and you experience problems... you can always just choose one of the previous pack versions in the FTB launcher for the interim. there's no real reason for iskandar to hold back anymore, if the option to update to mc1.7 is available.

one of the strongest features that mc1.7 gives us is integration for twitch.tv, which makes it even easier for people to LP the pack and spread it further. i see that alone as more than enough of a reason to update.
you call that the strongest feature? Wow. So, we get to watch every no talent wannabe direwolf junior get out there and show us his leet skillz in making sweet death to zombies? Sorry. I don't think the lack of twitch integration to minecraft has slowed down the LP's or coverage of this pack whatsoever, and personally don't feel it's the strongest feature. I think the strongest feature is probably lack of item ID's governing everything and thus any idiot can just throw a jar file into the directory and run it w/o worrying about item ID conflicts, etc.

As far as playing the 1.6.4 once it had moved over to 1.7/1.8, you'd be playing a stagnant pack at that point in time.

I think the emphasis right now is not that we don't want it moved to 1.7/1.8 at all. I was just pointing out that that the state of mods is still much in it's infancy right now. For this to be a good pack, it has to have stability to some degree. It has to have performance to some degree. What I've seen thus far tho? It'd alienate the actual PLAYERS of the pack (or drive up new pc sales).

Reactions: Genshou

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
I take that back now. I'm standing over my conveyer spawner and noticing that every time a mob gets killed, something goes flying out the front, but I have a rapid item valve as well above it which I forgot to mention. I might be picking up the drops that way. I guess I'll have to play more to figure out if that's the case.

Genshou

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, that is some render distance. Check out those bones and arrows.
VpQMAW1.jpg
I get a little squee whenever I infect someone with enthusiasm.

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
My current list of issues: Some liquids in the world have an unwanted behavior. HQM is very, very buggy, for some odd damn reason. Enviromine has some behaviors that aren't bugs, but I'm not happy with. Chunkoading issues all over the place with TE, AE, and Sync. The City generator is buggy as all hell. Not the 1.7.10 version is much better, but meh. There are countless tiny bugs across nearly every mod that, individually, aren't that big of a deal but collectively I am just tired of getting of seeing. Actually I'm mostly tired of having to repeat "known bug, can't fix" to 90% of the bug reports I'm getting lately. There are a few Minetweaker tricks that aren't available to me in 1.6.4, and there are some odd behaviors that would be eliminated by the death of item and block IDs. It would definitely make server files easier. There are improvements and bug fixes in a few mods I desperately want, HQM, Enviromine and Pneumaticcraft mainly.

I've been resisting because I would need to rebuild the shuttle and all the end game buildings, completely redo my quests redo all my config files and restart my Minetweaker stuff pretty much from scratch. Nothing, more or less, of 1.6.4 Crash landing would be salvageable. which is just painful. But at this point the benefits outweigh all that.

Reactions: ScottieC

DragonDai

Jul 29, 2019
My current list of issues: Some liquids in the world have an unwanted behavior. HQM is very, very buggy, for some odd damn reason. Enviromine has some behaviors that aren't bugs, but I'm not happy with. Chunkoading issues all over the place with TE, AE, and Sync. The City generator is buggy as all hell. Not the 1.7.10 version is much better, but meh. There are countless tiny bugs across nearly every mod that, individually, aren't that big of a deal but collectively I am just tired of getting of seeing. Actually I'm mostly tired of having to repeat "known bug, can't fix" to 90% of the bug reports I'm getting lately. There are a few Minetweaker tricks that aren't available to me in 1.6.4, and there are some odd behaviors that would be eliminated by the death of item and block IDs. It would definitely make server files easier. There are improvements and bug fixes in a few mods I desperately want, HQM, Enviromine and Pneumaticcraft mainly.

I've been resisting because I would need to rebuild the shuttle and all the end game buildings, completely redo my quests redo all my config files and restart my Minetweaker stuff pretty much from scratch. Nothing, more or less, of 1.6.4 Crash landing would be salvageable. which is just painful. But at this point the benefits outweigh all that.

My biggest concern with moving to 1.7.10 is the performance loss many people are having with 1.7.10. But my second biggest concern, one that is almost equally as big as the first, is the mod changes, specifically, that some of the mods you use in CL aren't available in 1.7.10 or are in extreme alpha/beta and super duper buggy or are radically different. The most obvious is TE, as the core mod has changed pretty significantly (all the machines have upgraded versions that may have functionality you're not interested in including) and the piping (liquiducts, item ducts, and conduits) is part of a new, separate mod that isn't even in alpha yet and likely won't be done for months. But TE isn't the only mod in CL that features these sorts of massive changes or complete absence. It wouldn't just be redoing everything in CL, it'd be redoing everything from the ground up, a complete redesign of CL. Same feel, same lore, totally, 100% different game, mechanically speaking.

TBH, the biggest issue I have with 1.7.10 is that the only good piping mod (aka, a mod you could use to replace TE's liquiducts, item ducts, and conduits) is EnderIO. And in EnderIO, making ANY of the piping requires machines, which I doubt you'd want to leave unmodified, which would result in Pnuematic Craft needing to be a SUPER early game consideration, just so you could make machines to make basic piping. I love the utility of the EnderIO piping, I strongly dislike that it's locked behind machines which need that piping to function properly. I've always felt this was a huge failing of the mod.

That being said, you could always heavily modify the recipes for the piping in EnderIO so that they don't need machines, but unless I am mistaken, you had other misgivings about EnderIO to begin with. So yeah.

If the pack moves over to 1.7.10, I'll likely keep playing it. But I can't say that I'll be even the tiniest bit happy about the change, nor do I feel it will bring your users much, if any, benefit. Just a lot of headache.

EDIT: OH!!! Forgot all about the skystones in AE2. Yeah, I guess they could be allowed to generate randomly, but if so they might interfere with cities or spawn or what not. And if not, you'd have to cut a large portion of the content from AE (because, IMO, the search for skystones and the patterns are a big part of the new mod, but I guess that could just be me).

Last edited: